Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #101
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of Vega Strike

In spirit, Vega Strike is much like NAEV and other games that have followed and yet emulated Elite. You start with a low value ship, and then trade or fight your way slowly up the ladder with missions, and trades and such, until you have enough credits for a new ship.

Then you can choose to specialize in a better fighting ship or better cargo ship. You buy gadgets for your ship, take on harder missions to make more money, and so forth. The weapons and many other things are customizable.

Meanwhile, there may or may not be a campaign with campaign missions to worry about as well. In NAEV and many other games - no campaign. In Vega Strike? Campaign.

Of all of the games I've review, there is no question that Vega Strike has the best graphics. It is also a full gig after installation and has a download of over 400 megs for those with slower connections.

You launch from sector to sector, and run into alien races (one of which is hostile), and various factions (two of which are hostile). Your choices during the game can piss off more people or not.

You fly about a sector, going from various pints of interest to others. Eventually, you can buy a warp drive and move to other sectors, trading, fighting and more.

Now, I did have some problems with the game. First of all, it took entirely too long to move from point A to point B in a system. it may take 3-5 minutes to fly to Atlantis from the Mining Station and another to return. It felt entirely too long. I shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes or more to complete one set of trades. I got a faster ship as my first upgrade to compensate.

Also, this is a game in which a dynamic economy is really vital, and no such luck. I would like to see veents like droughts or equipment shortages you can take advantage of, but once you bring enough food to the mining base, it's prices level off for more until they consume it and have needs again. That would really make the game better.

Dogfighting can be done with a joystick, the keyboard, or two different set up for Mouse - mouse glide and mouse something els.e After playing with them, I liked Mouse Glide the best. (I do not have a joystick)

There are a lot of keyboard commands you will need to print out a list of what they all do.

Time to pick up the game is about 60 minutes.

The sound was pretty solid.

This game is a lot more than you normally get from a free game. It's deeper and way more detailed. There is no reason not to check it out if you are interested.

Overall Score - 3 outta 5

That's pretty high for my free games.

PS - there are two major mods you need to be aware of. Vega Strike is turned into a remake of Wing Commander: Privateer in one and Vega style Star Trek in another. Here are screens from those.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-12-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #102
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

They just released 1.0 version of FreeCol - FreeCol - FreeCol 1.0.0 released

Old 09-10-2023, 02:52 PM   #103
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There is a free 2019 visual novel Video Game in the Endless universe like Endless Space and Legends. It's set in the Horatio Clone nation called "Love Thyself - A Horatio Story" anyone played it?

It's here - Link: Love Thyself - A Horatio Story on Steam. I just d/led it.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-10-2023 at 02:54 PM.