Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #51
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm drinking a Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout 2008 right now (aged in a Jim Beam Barrell) and it is f'ing good.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #52
Peregrine
Pro Starter

What's your favorite beer/mixed drink?

With beer, it's hard to say, I like so many - Delirium Tremens, Victory HopDevil, Bell's Oberon are some of my favorites. For mixed drinks, gin and tonic all the way.

What's in your liquor cabinet?

Heh, what isn't - the staples for me are several kinds of gin (my favorite) like Plymouth, Citadelle, Bombay Sapphire, with some Maker's Mark, a vodka or two, as well as Desaronno, Campari, Cointreau, St. Germain, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now.

What can you drink all night long and not feel a thing?

Gin and tonics usually, or gin/vodka gimlets.

What gets you spinning after just a couple shots?

Tequila doesn't seem to agree with me.

Are you good at mixing drinks, or does your spouse/boyfriend/life partner mix them for you?

I like to mix drinks at home, I've got quite a few recipes and find it fun to try new things.

When did you start drinking?

Funny thing is I never drank in college, I didn't really start drinking heavily until I was 25 or so.

Have you recently tried a new drink that you loved/hated?

I really like New Belgium's Eric's Ale - great fruit taste with some sourness - I love sour beers. I've been trying various mixed drinks with Campari lately - bitter taste but it really works with the right drink.

Last edited by Peregrine : 07-22-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #53
Kevin
High School JV

Beer - Olands Export, Keith's, Rickards Dark, Propeller Bitter
Light tasting beer - Budweiser
Actual Light beer - not allowed in the house. I can get a glass of water from the tap.

Rum - Captain Morgan White, Governor General Light, Brugal Anejo Dark, Captain Morgan Black. Bacardi reserved for dissolving hair clogs in the sink drain.

Rye - Crown Royal or Canadian Club

I have never acquired a taste for Scotch or Gin. Tequila makes me skunked in no time flat.

I enjoy red wines from South America and Australia and whites from Italy.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #54
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Jägermeister
Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #55
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola - Umlaut for the fucking win
Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #56
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Dude, I can't do jager. Jager is the first hard alcohol I ever tasted. It was my buddy's birthday party and I had probably 8-9 jagerbombs over a couple hours. I got shit-face drunk, puked, and was hungover the entire following day. Actually, all of these were firsts. Since then I've probably had it two or three times. It just completely f's with my stomach.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

In my house right now that I drink are Woodford Reserve bourbon and Bombay Sapphire gin (and tonic to mix). However, at the moment I'm not drinking anything but water.

I usually have beer hanging around. Actually would like a (good) beer now, but no beer at all in the house, will have to rectify that this weekend.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #58
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #59
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Alright,

I just picked up a little 200ml bottle of black label for my first ever taste of scotch. I'll let you guys know how it goes after I'm done.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #60
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Easy. Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #61
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Alright, so I poured a glass "neat" and took a couple sips.

Holy shit

That stuff is warm going down, plus it smells stronger than any other alkey I've ever had. I tried adding a couple ice cubes and it didn't really help. The taste is extremely strong. I think if I'm going to have black label from now on it's going to have to be mixed in with something.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-23-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #62
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Alright, so I poured a glass "neat" and took a couple sips.

Holy shit

That stuff is warm going down, plus it smells stronger than any other alkey I've ever had. I tried adding a couple ice cubes and it didn't really help. The taste is extremely strong. I think if I'm going to have black label from now on it's going to have to be mixed in with something.

Cut it with about one fourth water. Room temp. At least that works with the good stuff or better blends even. Scotch is definitely something that will take you by surprise if you're not used to it. Most folks cough when they take their first taste.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #63
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I surprisingly like Sam Cherry Wheat too (hate cherry flavored things) and the bar closest to my apartment actually has it on tap year round, and is probably the only place in the city where I've seen it. Only problem is that my friends and I have boycotted the place thanks to a waitress who tried pulling some of the sleaziest shit on us that I've ever seen.

I should just go in and see if they fired her yet.

I just got another 6 pack of this yesterday. I would love to try it on tap. I've got to find somewhere around here, because I can afford to go to New York just for a beer.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #64
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Diet Dr Pepper
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Got a nice bottle of Scotch yesterday. Well...fairly nice.

Balvenie Doublewood. Soooooo smooth...beautiful finish.

Could have gone with a bottle of Laphroaig for about the same price, but decided not to.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #66
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I wound tried Glengoyne's advice on the room temp water, and the scotch still had the same (bad) effect. I fear that I will never be a scotch drinker :-\
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #67
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad. For me it is a nice relaxing treat.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

CHILD ABUSE!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #70
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Colin: When you are old enough to read this, you'll realize your dad likes crap beer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #71
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo

Odd red blend of Syrah and Pinot. Paso Robles, CA. Goes well with beef, but right now pretty good pairing with some wasabi soy blue diamond almonds.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #72
kiwiLB57
H.S. Freshman Team

Quick note to say that I am off to the Great British Beer Festival at Earls Court in London tonight..

700 beers....

http://gbbf.camra.org.uk/home

kiwiLB57

"the run it at da white boy philosophy will not xsist wif out.... da white boys"

Amen
kiwiLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #73
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I've been getting into Whiskey and Scotch lately. My latest trip to Costco found me wandering around aimlessly in the Whiskey/Scotch/Bourbon section.

When I want to sip on something nice, I'll pour a Glenlivet 15 or something like that. Mostly though, I sip on Jameson, which I find to be sweet and delicious with 2 ice cubes and a splash of water.

I'm considering trying something else, ideally in the same price range (or lower). This will be strictly for random, non-special occasion, sitting on my ass playing FOF while the Giants are on...sipping.

Suggestions?

The options at Costco are as follows:

Jim Beam Straight Kentucky: $20 - 1.75L
Jack Daniels No. 7: $31 - 1.75L
Makers Mark: Can't for the life of me remember
Knob Creek: ???
Johnnie Walker Red: $30 - 1.75L

If you have another suggestion, I live near a supersize liquor store that sells everything under the sun for a great price...even better than BevMo.

xoxo
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #74
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Jägermeister

hehe...the most poloarizing alchohol ever invented. I'm a fan!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #75
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I just got another 6 pack of this yesterday. I would love to try it on tap. I've got to find somewhere around here, because I can afford to go to New York just for a beer.

I don't care for it, although it's not bad. Sam Adams has some great seasonals though and it's turned into my beer of choice here in Florida, particularly during our 3 months of cold weather.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #76
Desnudo
Coordinator

Shiner Prickly Pear
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #77
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

My go to beers for this summer have been Bell's Two Hearted, Bell's Oberon, and Victory HopDevil. I think I'll grab a Two Hearted right now.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #78
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've been getting into Whiskey and Scotch lately. My latest trip to Costco found me wandering around aimlessly in the Whiskey/Scotch/Bourbon section.

When I want to sip on something nice, I'll pour a Glenlivet 15 or something like that. Mostly though, I sip on Jameson, which I find to be sweet and delicious with 2 ice cubes and a splash of water.

I'm considering trying something else, ideally in the same price range (or lower). This will be strictly for random, non-special occasion, sitting on my ass playing FOF while the Giants are on...sipping.

Suggestions?

If you have another suggestion, I live near a supersize liquor store that sells everything under the sun for a great price...even better than BevMo.

xoxo

Had a weekend long discussion about this. Consensus was for the money Makers Mark is the best.

My cocktail this summer has been the Algonquin. Amazing how good whiskey and pineapple juice taste.

For beers I have been on a can kick. So it's been Maui Lager and G'Knight red.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #79
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Suggestions?

xoxo

Ever drink rye? When I want something cheaper, I grab bottles of a rye called (ri)1 for $25 (NYC prices, so I imagine you could do pretty well). It's very smooth on the rocks, no water needed.

I went to Bermuda a few weeks ago so I've been on a Dark & Stormy kick. Couldn't find ginger beer anywhere around here so ordered a case of Diet Barret's from beveragesdirect.com. Add some Gosling's and we're good.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #80
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm a gin man. Love me my Tom Collins', Gin Fizz, and Foghorns. Portland has steadily been adding craft distilleries to our hipster arsenal, to the point that we now have a distillery district....which also happens to be thesloppy's district.

This stuff is my shit, and I can walk to the distillery:

I believe they've termed this a 'Pacific Northwest Gin', in order to be as pretentious as possible. When compared to a typical london dry gin, the juniper has been dialed back and plays a more reserved role along other flavors like anise, lavender and citrus peel. Yums.

You bourbon/scotch/whisky drinkers looking for something interesting might check out Ransom's Old Tom Gin, which is an 'old world' gin recipe from the 1800's that uses a malted barley base, and corn spirits, and results in something that sits half way between a bourbon and gin....and it's got a cool bottle:

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #81
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Suggestions?

xoxo

Makers is more expensive than those options. I'd recommend Rebel Yell.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #82
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Ever drink rye? When I want something cheaper, I grab bottles of a rye called (ri)1 for $25 (NYC prices, so I imagine you could do pretty well). It's very smooth on the rocks, no water needed.

I went to Bermuda a few weeks ago so I've been on a Dark & Stormy kick. Couldn't find ginger beer anywhere around here so ordered a case of Diet Barret's from beveragesdirect.com. Add some Gosling's and we're good.

Whoops. That's another rye I've had...the one I drink regularly is called Redemption.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #83
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #84
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:

Suggestions?

xoxo

If you're looking for a change, I love Bulleit Bourbon. Great base whiskey for a killer Old Fashioned. Very good sipping whiskey when you just want to throw some ice in a glass and pour as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
My go to beers for this summer have been Bell's Two Hearted, Bell's Oberon, and Victory HopDevil. I think I'll grab a Two Hearted right now.

Mine have been Two Hearted, Dale's Pale Ale and Surly Furious.

Picked up some Newcastle Werewolf yesterday which I wasn't a big fan of.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #86
JediKooter
Coordinator

Just had a Snapple raspberry iced tea.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #87
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

I've been wanting to try Surly Abrasive Ale real bad but I don't think I can get it in Ohio. I haven't check the main Dayton supplier, though, but I'm not holding my breath.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #88
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Two Hearted and Oberon are some of my favorites, I haven't looked for them here to much, I have been drinking a lot of Summer Shandy and Ports this summer.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #89
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I've been wanting to try Surly Abrasive Ale real bad but I don't think I can get it in Ohio. I haven't check the main Dayton supplier, though, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm pretty sure they only sell the cans in Minnesota. I know Wisconsin can get kegs of it so you can find it in bars in other states but that's probably it.

They are opening a brew pub in the near future, hopefully that will mean an expansion of their production.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #90
mckerney
Coordinator

It looks like the brew pub could lead to a pretty big expansion of their production.

Unexpected Success | St. Croix Advisors -Insights

Quote:
This meant that Surly had to make a difficult decision, as they suspended beer deliveries to markets outside the Twin Cities to focus on growing local accounts. Even currently in the Twin Cities, there’s a waiting list to get a keg of Surly on tap in your bar or restaurant. With their current location, maximum production was estimated to tap out at 20,000 barrels per year.

Instead of accepting this as the end-game, in 2011, Surly announced plans to open a destination brewery and restaurant to the tune of $20 million, which would allow Surly to reach a capacity of 100,000 barrels per year. When it was determined that the new facility ran afoul of current Minnesota liquor laws, Surly called upon their dedicated fans, the Surly Nation, to lobby for proposed changes to the legislation. In May, 2011, Governor Mark Dayton’s signature on the new law, allowed Surly to move forward with their plans.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #91
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
If you're looking for a change, I love Bulleit Bourbon. Great base whiskey for a killer Old Fashioned. Very good sipping whiskey when you just want to throw some ice in a glass and pour as well.

Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are two of the best bourbon values out there.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #92
path12
Coordinator

Tonight, New Belgian Trippel.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #93
sabotai
General Manager

Last night I drank Kamikazes. A lot of them.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #94
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Hendricks and tonic
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #95
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Last night, I had some Mountain Dew Dark Berry. Only one can so far, but it's not bad. I also got a 12-pack of the throwback Mountain Dew -- I've had that before though, so I already know it's good.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #96
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Last night, at our favorite neighborhood bar, my girlfriend and I ordered our usual well tequila shots (Fear not, the well at this bar is Milagro....not great but not on Sauza/Jose Cuervo level). This bartender we know just loves us for some unknown reasons, and said he was out of the Milagro, but gave us shots of Don Julio Anejo for well price (!!!). Of course, I couldn't shoot mine. I sipped that thing like hot coffee. It was delicious. If I ever have a liquor cabinet, that's going to be my go to tequila.

My girlfriend drank hers down in one gulp. I felt pain in my heart when she did that. It's like giving a Kobe filet mignon to a hungry dog.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Last night, I had some Mountain Dew Dark Berry.

Pretty solid chance this will turn your poop a funky color. So much food coloring.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #98
BYU 14
Coordinator

Saki Bombers have been top of the rotation for a while now, when not just having a beer or Gin and Tonic. They sneak up on you, but damn they are good!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #99
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My landlord/neighbor makes some pretty good moonshine and wine. Xtabentún is pretty tasty too, I would say it's kind of like a honey flavored Jager.

If I am going with beer, Nantahala brewing company is right here in town (in a building I used to live in) and every brew they have is amazing. Otherwise, I settle for some Sam Adams or Strongbow. I haven't really got the chance to experiment much yet, as my location is not a place where one finds a great variety of brews, but between the breweries here and in Asheville, there is plenty of good drink to be had.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #100
Grover
Pro Starter

Whiskey and Scotch. That's all I need.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote