Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #6801
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
So I'd be interested in folks thoughts... I love the party based RPG games where your players level up, maybe you get to add NPC's to the group off and on and they level up too... thinking the old Wasteland games.

I'm not a joystick jockey, so don't like Real Time stuff, but prefer turn-based. Any modern recommendations? Any genre is ok, but I prefer the fantasy/D&D type games best.

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are the modern standard bearers for this style of play. Wasteland 3 is really good as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #6802
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
So I'd be interested in folks thoughts... I love the party based RPG games where your players level up, maybe you get to add NPC's to the group off and on and they level up too... thinking the old Wasteland games.

I'm not a joystick jockey, so don't like Real Time stuff, but prefer turn-based. Any modern recommendations? Any genre is ok, but I prefer the fantasy/D&D type games best.
As mentioned, Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a pretty solid 4 party member game. It is played turn based (my preference). Also Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a 6 member party game that can be turn-based or real time, and it has a really easy switch between the two. Solasta is easy to figure out and play, and Pathfinder is much tougher with many, many, many different class options. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is just a couple of years old and a bit easier to jump into than Wrath, but still more complicated than Solasta.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #6803
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are the modern standard bearers for this style of play. Wasteland 3 is really good as well.
Yeah, I was coming back to add those. Though personally I hated them.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #6804
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

The suggested games are all good choices. I will throw an under-the-radar choice here-based off 3.5 RPG/D&D rules:

Low Magic Age. Still in Early Access and I haven't played in a while so not sure what has been added. Graphics are nothing special, but Adventure Mode is full of party-based RPG goodness.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #6805
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I agree with all of the above. I had a blast with Solasta. I love both Divinity: Original Sin games. They are some of my favorites of this type of game. I hear good things about Wasteland 3 and will be playing soon. I tried Pathfinder: Kingmaker in turn based and didn’t like it. Way too clunky for me. Maybe the new one is better.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #6806
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Thanks all for the recommendations... I'm adding Wasteland 3, Divinity: Original Sin games, and the others to my list... I could have swore the Original Sin games were joystick jockey games... glad I asked open ended question!
Old 10-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #6807
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
A large selection of Asmodee's Digital games collection on sale through the weekend making most under $10 like Scythe, Terraforming Mars, Ticket To Ride, Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace, Blood Rage, Lord of the Rings and more. Game of Thrones is $12. Sadly this sale does not include Gloomhaven, which I suspect will be 20 or 30 percent off($25) when it leaves early access on the 20th.

I also noticed this week that a lot (all?) of the Battlefield games are $5 or less, which probably is a good deal.

I may have a better deal on the Asmodee Digital Games for you. Humble Bundle has a fight Breast Cancer Bundle with most of the games mentioned here, a couple more and some DLC's. Still no Gloomhaven. You can get a 23 game bundle for $12, a 13 game bundle for a little less, and a 5 game bundle for $1 (you can modify what you offer for those as long as meet the minimum)

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/p...m_medium=email

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-08-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #6808
Flasch186
Coordinator

So CK3 is what I'd hoped Humankind would be over a longer period of time but CK3 is excellent. (2 days in)

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #6809
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fallout 76 is $10 at Steam and looks like a lot of the other Fallout games are around 75% off too.

Edit: Old World, a Civ like game that had been in early access at Epic for a long time is now on Steam's Early Access as well. I like the ways it differs from Civ.

Edit again: You can get Fallout 76 for a little less at Fanatical too.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-12-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #6810
bhlloy
Coordinator

So this is embarrassing, but I think I’ve just realized why I was so disappointed with Humankind… because I thought I was actually buying Old World. Oops.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:11 PM   #6811
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So this is embarrassing, but I think I’ve just realized why I was so disappointed with Humankind… because I thought I was actually buying Old World. Oops.

Oops.Actually I can understand confusing the two given they are both civ-type games with a lot of the same cultures. I think I will like Old World better, but it's "too mathy" for me-there's a number for everything
Old 10-13-2021, 02:35 AM   #6812
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, Vormithrax has played Old World several times on YouTube.

He played some of the earliest builds so I suppose the best thing would be to find the most recent one to be the closest to what's available now.

The game, while interesting in the ways it differs from Civ, did have some frustrating quirks (mostly involving combat) at least in the earlier development.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #6813
Thomkal
Head Coach

Torchlight franchise on sale at Steam this weekend. Torchlight 3 at its cheapest I've seen $10 and both 1 and 2 under $6
Old 10-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #6814
Thomkal
Head Coach

Pathfinder: Kingmaker at perhaps the best price I've yet seen-$8.50 at Fanatical for about the next 46 hours.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #6815
Bobble
College Prospect

Anyone into Armoured Commander II? It's a ASCII rogue-like tank commander game. Apparently based off the old Patton's Best boardgame. The graphics are ... well ... roguelike but it's starting off fun. I started a random campaign as a Russian tank commander in a T-34/40 in The Continuation War. I was doing well on day 1 (actually, my wingman tanks were doing most of the damage) but the Finns ambushed me and took me out. I was able to successfully get everyone out of the burning tank but my assistant driver is out for a few days. We got a replacement a-driver and replacement tank and we're back out there to "defend" the Motherland.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #6816
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steam having a Tabletop/RPG Fast this weekend. Dead by Daylight and Fallout76 free to play through the weekend. Still good sales on Fallout games
Old 10-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #6817
Thomkal
Head Coach

Black Desert Online is $1 for the next few days. I have my qualms with combat and its anime influences, but the world is pretty to look at, and character generation is pretty detailed. So at $1, I'm not sure you could go wrong with it.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #6818
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quill18 has a look at the early access for Darkest Dungeon 2. The first is one of my favorite games. He has also started a Gloomhaven campaign:

Darkest Dungeon II: Early Access Let's Play! - Ep 1 - YouTube
Old 10-27-2021, 01:00 AM   #6819
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Steam having a Tabletop/RPG Fast this weekend. Dead by Daylight and Fallout76 free to play through the weekend. Still good sales on Fallout games

dbd kinda sucks

you wanna get terrified by sawlike intense slasher game, play Outlast
or if you want chilling soothing ghost story, play Layers of Fear
or if you want bizarre Japanese horror, play Dreadout

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-27-2021 at 01:08 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:23 AM   #6820
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
Quill18 has a look at the early access for Darkest Dungeon 2. The first is one of my favorite games.

That's one of the top 'games I'd play if I had more time' titles for me. I'm curious to see what they do for the sequel.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:57 AM   #6821
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That's one of the top 'games I'd play if I had more time' titles for me. I'm curious to see what they do for the sequel.

It's still early in the game he's playing, but it looks like they have replaced the town and dungeons (so far) with a road that you take via a Slay the Spire type map for various encounters. Not sure when you enter a dungeon-maybe at a boss at the end of the road? The terrific voice actor from the first game is back for the second at least

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-27-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #6822
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:

It's probably not exactly what you're thinking, but you might want to give Wildermyth a try. I love it.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #6823
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like a lot of Halloween sales are starting today, I get an email when ever something on my wishlist has gone on sale, and I may have just got the longest list I ever had from GoG.com today. A lot of RPG, Roguelikes, etc. Sadly not Gloomhaven yet, But did notice that the digital version of the Wingspan is 40% off or $12 right now
Old 10-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #6824
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Looks like a lot of Halloween sales are starting today, I get an email when ever something on my wishlist has gone on sale, and I may have just got the longest list I ever had from GoG.com today. A lot of RPG, Roguelikes, etc. Sadly not Gloomhaven yet, But did notice that the digital version of the Wingspan is 40% off or $12 right now

Got a long list from Steam too. 75% sale on Torchlight 3 now $10. Probably the lowest it goes unless Epic makes it free at some point during their Holiday sale.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #6825
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Same here. I ended up grabbing like 10 games for about $40 off Steam.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #6826
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Now how many will you actually play?
Old 10-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #6827
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Good question. I've got a bunch queued up already. But, the holidays are coming up and I'm having a medical procedure at the end of November that will keep me down for a couple of weeks, so if I'm up to it, I'll probably have more time than normal to at least give each game a shot.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #6828
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Awesome. What did you get?

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-29-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #6829
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Now how many will you actually play?

Wait, you mean you are NOT supposed to leave them in pristine condition like comic books? Man I have a LOT of games to play now.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #6830
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fanatical having a birthday sale this week. Lots of big discounts, and get a gift (coupon, free game, etc) when you spend over $10 for one game
Old 11-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #6831
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
It's probably not exactly what you're thinking, but you might want to give Wildermyth a try. I love it.

Finished the first chapter. It's interesting and think its a good start but it lacks ... depth?

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-07-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #6832
Capital
High School Varsity

Ratropolis is a fun game. Combines deck building, roguelikes and tower defense. Not bad for the upcoming Steam sale.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #6833
BYU 14
Coordinator

Gloomhaven is brutal, but as I get the hang of the mechanics, I am, getting much better. Seriously one of the most challenging RPGs I have played as it makes you plan very carefully and is unforgiving, even on easy mode, if you are careless. A lot of fun when you have time to really focus on the game experience.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #6834
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Gloomhaven is brutal, but as I get the hang of the mechanics, I am, getting much better. Seriously one of the most challenging RPGs I have played as it makes you plan very carefully and is unforgiving, even on easy mode, if you are careless. A lot of fun when you have time to really focus on the game experience.

Probably the one benefit of having the physical version is that I can make my own "house rules" so I don't horribly lose every single time.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #6835
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Probably the one benefit of having the physical version is that I can make my own "house rules" so I don't horribly lose every single time.

I have been playing on easy and doing well, while still being challenged. I must say it is a very well designed game and in a genre that has been dumbed down in recent years I find it very refreshing.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #6836
Thomkal
Head Coach

Steamworld Dig 2, and Outlast are free to claim at Gog.com. You should be able to find the Steamworld claim on the front page, Outlast you might have to hunt for it a bit to claim
Old 11-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #6837
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Fanatical having a birthday sale this week. Lots of big discounts, and get a gift (coupon, free game, etc) when you spend over $10 for one game

You might want to check your email if you are a regular customer of Fanatical. In celebration of their birthday, they sent out codes which you can redeem on their site-some are percentage off coupons, others are for free games. I got Fallback which I've had on wishlists for a long time, so a nice present indeed.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #6838
Thomkal
Head Coach

If you have Ubisoft Connect you can claim Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy free until the 12th.

You might want to check your email, recent, spam, and trash to see if you got a gift card from the Microsoft Store:

Microsoft Is Spreading Holiday Cheer With $100 Gift Cards, Check Your Deleted Emails | HotHardware
Old 11-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #6839
Edward64
Head Coach

Got the $20 Skyrim anniversary edition. Started playing some tonight ... hope the magic is still there.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #6840
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Started Dishonored tonight. Nicely Reminiscent of Thief the Dark Project
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:24 PM   #6841
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Got the $20 Skyrim anniversary edition. Started playing some tonight ... hope the magic is still there.

So is it?
Old 11-13-2021, 01:01 AM   #6842
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Started Dishonored tonight. Nicely Reminiscent of Thief the Dark Project

One of my most underrated games of all time
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #6843
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So is it?

Not yet but just got to the first village after the intro.

I am a little disappointed that it doesn't look better (than I remembered it). But of course, I'm using an old 750ti but thought they enhanced the graphics some. Will have to upgrade my GPU after the prices (crazy high) comes back to earth.

I am pleased that the keyboard commands came back like second nature.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #6844
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hob from the makers of Torchlight 1 and 2 is the Star Deal at Fanatical for .79 cents for the next day or so
Old 11-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #6845
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

You're going to want to start by spelling Steam correctly. If you can figure that out, you should be golden from there.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #6846
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I would wait another 18 years to see if Steam really has their shit together.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #6847
Atocep
Coordinator

Wartales entered Early Access today and is from the developers of Northgard. It's kind of like a micro version of Mount and Blade. Instead of controlling an army you control a squad of mercenaries and combat is turn based.

This game has enormous potential. It's brutally difficult and doesn't fully explain it's mechanics yet, but it's already a fun game that should just get better from here considering the work that was done on Northgard.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:50 PM   #6848
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wartales entered Early Access today and is from the developers of Northgard. It's kind of like a micro version of Mount and Blade. Instead of controlling an army you control a squad of mercenaries and combat is turn based.

This game has enormous potential. It's brutally difficult and doesn't fully explain it's mechanics yet, but it's already a fun game that should just get better from here considering the work that was done on Northgard.

Sounds like Battle Brothers. I love the concept, but I bounced off that one a couple times because of the difficulty, so I would probably struggle with this too.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #6849
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'll keep this on my wishlist to track and maybe get when it matures more. I like the concept.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #6850
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm a big fan of the Yogscast on YouTube, and every year around this time they have a charity month full of games, and other stuff called Jingle Jam. For your donation to your choice of about 10 charities, you get free games, this year a whopping 55. Wildermyth would be the big one for me here but several other good ones too. Here's the link to the charity page:

https://jinglejam.tiltify.com/

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-02-2021 at 01:57 PM.