Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
RedKingGold
College Starter

CJBL: A web-based, FM-style multiplayer College Basketball League has openings

About 18 months ago, I posted here about the JBL, a pro-basketball web-based multiplayer league.. The JBL community has become stronger since then, and the sim developer and owner has expanded and built upon the college model and opened it up for human owners.

If you like FBCB, DDSCB or any similar college basketball sim, you will find interest within the CJBL. The league is still a bit in “beta” mode, so there are tweaks and adjustments that are and will be made but the core of the game is quite solid and built off the JBL engine.

The CJBL mirrors the NCAA, so you will find all of the usual college programs and conferences. Athletic directors will compete against each other to recruit from US high schools and international prospects. Set your offensive team style and recruit players who fit how you want to play. Want to run Villanova’s 4-guard offense? Maybe West Virginia’s press defense or Virginia’s lockdown defense? You can mimic these styles with the offensive and defensive settings.

The CJBL already has many members who are part of the FOFC community, including jcomey, MrBug, Izulde and others you will recognize. The JBL/CJBL community is very active. We have podcasts for both the JBL and CJBL and we also have an owner who is able to produce and create merchandise for your team.

I have also posted some screenshots to give you a sense of some of the options when running a team:

Spoiler

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-08-2020 at 08:02 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
RedKingGold
College Starter

My screenshots are not showing up, will try to fix.

EDIT: Screenshots working, but super big so they are in the spoiler tag.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-08-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

Can confirm, it's pretty great.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #4
kingfc22
Head Coach

Come join the party!
Old 01-09-2020, 01:48 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

What's the time commitment?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:57 AM   #6
skrath
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Pretty low at this stage. We sim 4 days every real day 7 days a week, so there's usually one game of your team per sim. So probably only 5-10 minutes a day to check out boxscores and adjust depth charts/rotations.

Recruiting is about to begin for the next season. Other ADs have suggested that the first few recruiting phases take about half an hour (to highlight players you're after), and from that only 5 minutes per phase. We plan to run the phases approximately one per real life week. Recruiting is completed throughout the season and also in the offseason (late recruiting to fill in spots for players drafted into the pro league).

Our Slack is incredibly active with about 40-50 members on daily, and there's plenty to go down the rabbit hole if you want to. The aim is to get at least 100 college ADs.

Last edited by skrath : 01-09-2020 at 02:06 AM.
skrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM   #7
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I would say the league combines the ease of FBCB with the depth of the actual NCAA. The game is browser based, lightning quick and everything is one click away.

The stat tracking is mind boggling. Everything and anything you can imagine is tracked from a league level to a team level, to a lineup level, to a player level.

Plus podcasts! These friggin guys put out a weekly podcast and are actually interesting to listen to. I would take them over Bill Simmons any day. (high praise!)

And to reiterate. It doesn't take long to find things and to put together game plans.

The best part? It is FREE.

What are you waiting for? Come join!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

No where near as long as FBCB.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

cjbl - Google Drive

Hopefully, the link works, it's some screenshots I grabbed and put on my drive to give people a preview from my leagues.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Is there a link to the website?
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Link?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
Silver Owl
High School JV

I have a team in JBL but not college and I will say that this is like a cult ... once you are in you don't want to leave. A simply amazing game.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #13
RedKingGold
College Starter

A link to the site can be found here: JBL | Login

I had it in the initial post but took it out because there was conflicting information about whether those without accounts can view the page.

If interested, you may want to PM skrath here at FOFC, as he is the sim developer/owner and can get you as to how to sign up and what teams are available.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

I'd also be interested in joining back in at the College level.
DavidCorperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Two things worth noting:

1. I hate Slack. This league makes it actually fun to be on.

2. This is a league absent toxic personalities, which makes for a great experience.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #16
skrath
Mascot

Unfortunately all of the main pages are hidden behind a login (as everything is run through a scouting "fog of war") so you won't be able to see them without an account. The screenshots above do a good job of showing the interface. However, if you'd like to see what teams are available, you can access this page without a login:

CJBL | Schools

Human teams have a user icon next to them.

Anyone who would like to sign up - just PM me your email so I can invite you to our Slack and send you the signup link.

Other links that are relevant as a general guide (aimed at the pro league, JBL):
http://jblfl.com/about
http://jblfl.com/guide

Last edited by skrath : 01-09-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
henry296
College Starter

A couple of questions

1. Can humans get offered jobs from other teams.
2. Are the different academic requirements for recruits like in the Ivy?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #18
skrath
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
A couple of questions

1. Can humans get offered jobs from other teams.
2. Are the different academic requirements for recruits like in the Ivy?

1. Not currently. It is a multi-player universe and while we don't really encourage swapping of teams (to maintain consistency), you could always switch teams if it's approved and the team is available.

We allow control of one high prestige team and one lower prestige team in different conferences.

2. Yes: 3.0 minimum GPA for Ivy is the recruiting limit for that conference.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #19
henry296
College Starter

One more question. Do coaches have ratings that would impact the difficulty between two prestige schools like ability to recruit or offense vs defense ability. Trying to compare to other games where you could build up your skills to get a better job or should I start in a big conference if I want to try to win it all.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #20
skrath
Mascot

As you are the AD, you are in control of your own destiny rather than the skill of your head coach. Recruits value differing aspects that your program may have (academics, prestige, desire to stay close to home etc) and will indicate their interest in your program. Recruits are grouped by rough regions which dictates the cost of recruiting actions (coach visit, campus visit etc).

It's definitely harder to recruit as a lower prestige program given budgetary pressures, so lower prestige schools tend to primarily look at in region/in state recruits.

Jump in with a big program to learn the ropes and then you can take over a smaller program after a season as well for an additional challenge. The Pac-12 and Big Ten are almost full, and the ACC is getting there.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #21
Comey
College Starter

Note: 40ish Minutes of Hell, the Most Comprehensive Podcast About the CJBL (that can be talked about in 40ish minutes) debuted last week. It will be produced on Tuesdays (with the potential for other episodes if time allows during the week, probably solo by me). So there's one other bit of immersion to add.

I couldn't recommend this enough. The JBL is a rather amazing and unique experience; the CJBL is,f ro now, more JBL-lite, as things across the board are evolving. However, sooner than later, the CJBL will rival JBL in terms of immersion and experience.

For any real old heads here that were part of Gridiron Glory, CJBL has that kind of potential. In some ways, it's already there. As some things get fleshed out, it's going to be even more remarkable. I recommend getting in now, and growing with the league.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #22
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
One more question. Do coaches have ratings that would impact the difficulty between two prestige schools like ability to recruit or offense vs defense ability. Trying to compare to other games where you could build up your skills to get a better job or should I start in a big conference if I want to try to win it all.

I coach at UConn and Fairfield. UConn is a national power that can recruit anywhere...but there are several variables that make it difficult. My recruiting class last year was ranked top ten, but I don't think it was that good. And I'm going to have to deal with a top-five freshman leaving after this season, and having to replace him (I'm hoping it isn't two of them).

Fairfield...I thought I would have a good opportunity to poach some higher-prestige players by going after them earlier. That didn't quite come out as I hoped, and my class was pretty bad. That said, the already-existing pieces have resulted in the best season in school history (21-8, first regular season MAAC title). I'm hoping we can parlay that into a better recruiting experience and a real chance at growth.

We'll see where it goes. But it's a very unique and fun experience.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

I guess my question here would be: How knowledgeable of basketball do I have to be to play this sim? I don't have any in offenses/defenses etc, can you let your assistants handle that or is it something that I will have to pay attention to/micro manage?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I guess my question here would be: How knowledgeable of basketball do I have to be to play this sim? I don't have any in offenses/defenses etc, can you let your assistants handle that or is it something that I will have to pay attention to/micro manage?

Easiest thing to do would be to stick with what your school currently runs and adjust as games progress. This is what I did while learning the ropes with both my schools. You have advanced stats that give you insight into what sort of plays on offense are working or not working for individual players, and you can adjust tendencies to try and get guys to play to their strengths and avoid the things they don't do so well. And if you're giving up too many points, tweak the D and see what works.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Basketball strategy is not my forte by any stretch, but it's pretty basic where if you know anything about basketball, you should be good to go. Here is an example.

Seven Seconds:
Description: High octane offense that uses transition as well as heavy pick and rolls to get early shots before the defense can get set. Offensive players spread the floor and the primary ballhandler creates opportunities to get wide open shots.

Player focus: Requires good ballhandlers, athletic/quick players, rim runners and fearless shooters.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #26
skrath
Mascot

Bump as recruiting is open for 2028! Recruiting takes place over an approximately two week real life period, after which we the regular season will start. We have over 70 teams controlled currently - if you're interested in taking one over, you can see who is available here: CJBL | Schools

Some quick screenshots of the main recruiting screens

Old 02-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think North Carolina needs to stay out of Kansas
Old 02-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #28
skrath
Mascot

It's almost March Madness...and the CJBL is starting our 2028 season shortly! We now have 100 teams running out of 356 teams and it's growing rapidly every day. If anyone is interested in taking over a school, please DM me. We have some unique challenges with teams joining Division I: California Baptist, Tarleton State, Dixie State, North Alabama, Bellarmine and Merrimack, if someone is interested in starting from the absolute bottom!

It's becoming quite an FOFC league as well

List of schools (taken teams are indicated by the user icon): CJBL | Schools

Last edited by skrath : 02-29-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

We already have enough competition for recruits thank you very much
Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yes, and our coaches. Thanks very much, we're good.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #31
Ramzavail
College Starter

Somebody take a team in the NEC!
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 AM   #32
skrath
Mascot

Nearly 130 user controlled teams and still growing! If you're missing college hoops and are interested in taking over a school, hit me up for an invite. We're into conference play and haven't started recruiting for next season, so still a chance to build your program and make the dance.

Available teams: CJBL | Schools

Last edited by skrath : 03-23-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

I can't say enough about how much fun this is. The platform that skrath has created is really impressive. There's depth to the engine, to the players, to the interface. Slack ties it all together in a way that finally makes me understand how powerful and useful of a communication tool it can be. Being in a league with so many owners keeps it fresh (like produce fresh, not necessarily doug e.).

I think I am most excited about what this could *potentially* be. There's a whole universe where some of these dudes go to the pro league and continue their lives. Even if you don't have a team in the JBL, it's cool to follow alums that make it to the big time. Personalities, philosophies, history - all super cool.

Definitely give it a try!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

So, E rating is between D & F? I have lots of questions, probably already all answered, I imagine.

Edit: I found the rules, so never mind.

Last edited by Butter : 03-24-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
kingfc22
Head Coach

Welcome to the jungle Butter.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #36
Butter
Coordinator

When I saw the Flyers were available... let's just say I thought this might be a nice way to cope with a massive real life disappointment.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
When I saw the Flyers were available... let's just say I thought this might be a nice way to cope with a massive real life disappointment.
My alma mater (william & mary) is one of 4 or 5 D1 schools to never make it to the NCAA tourney, so I thought it would be cool to continue that tradition on the world wide web.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #38
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
My alma mater (william & mary) is one of 4 or 5 D1 schools to never make it to the NCAA tourney, so I thought it would be cool to continue that tradition on the world wide web.

Or, as I called them in last night's Quad, The Royalty.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:15 AM   #39
Huckleberry
College Starter

Crap I wish I'd never seen this thread.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:18 AM   #40
skrath
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Crap I wish I'd never seen this thread.

Welcome It's a great time to join as we're about to start recruiting for the upcoming season. 157 (44.7%) of CJBL teams are human controlled.

If anyone out there is ready to take on the challenge hit me up!

Last edited by skrath : 04-21-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #41
Thomkal
Head Coach

So should we start a list of what FOFC'ers are playing in this game, so we know who to concentrate on beating? You can set up the non-conference part of your schedule so might be fun to get some of your fellow FOFC (and/or FOBL'ers) on the schedule:

I was Kansas State for the just completed season, but I have moved over to my old friend Coastal Carolina for this next season.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #42
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton / Wright St. / Houston Baptist. Different scheduling needs based on the different levels of these teams.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #43
Comey
College Starter

I have UConn and Fairfield for now. May look back to my PA roots for another small school.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #44
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Charlotte / TCU. Charlotte is probably the better team right now despite the massive conference disparity... I grabbed TCU as they were about the last power conference team on the board - looking forward to how recruiting plays out, but even if I were good at this it would take a lot to dig them out of their hole. Definitely down to schedule anyone as TCU, might have to be a little more particular with Charlotte - SoS & RPI was brutal with the horrible conference last year, need to schedule high majors or good mid majors in order to have any hope of an at large bid. Butter what about Dayton for a home & home? I assume you'll be a top tier A10 team again?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #45
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton didn't lose any starters, so should be battling for top of A-10 again. Not planning on firing coaches or anything. I would do a home-and-home with Charlotte.

I would also do a road game to TCU with Houston Baptist, if that interested you. Really don't know how they'll look next season, they lost a good bit going into the offseason from a 5th place Southland team.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sold on both!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #47
kingfc22
Head Coach

I've got Stanford, Harvard and SE Louisiana
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #48
laser
H.S. Freshman Team