Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #501
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pretty much the entire AJC writing staff has been ready for a move for more than a year. Which is a little odd because, contrary to some markets/medias, that's not really an angle they take very often. If anything they usually err far to the other side of those issues with every team they cover.

I've gotten a hunch that he might be about as popular with them as Jim Donnan was.

Petrino to GT would be interesting!
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #502
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Petrino to GT would be interesting!
I would love to see that. How can we make that happen?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I would love to see that. How can we make that happen?

Step 1) make sure Neon Deion doesn't take the job
Step 2) stand back and wait for the AD to make another majestic hiring mistake

(actually, I think even Petrino might be smarter than that)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #504
miked
College Starter

Hell no.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:41 AM   #505
GrantDawg

Quote:
Step 1) make sure Neon Deion doesn't take the job
Step 2) stand back and wait for the AD to make another majestic hiring mistake

(actually, I think even Petrino might be smarter than that)
Yeah, I don't see Petrino wanting that job. There is nothing GT that fits him at all. Would Deion actually be an option? I can see some selling points, but the recruiting restrictions at Tech makes almost all of his advantages moot.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-18-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yeah, I don't see Petrino wanting that job. There is nothing GT that fits him at all. Would Deion actually be an option? I can see some selling points, but the recruiting restrictions at Tech makes almost all of his advantages moot.

He's the name most often being used in the last 24 hours, with at least one (semi? quasi?) reputable source I aw saying that discussions were going to get very serious rather quickly.

As I said last night on my socials, GT doesn't currently have a coach and if they hire Sanders they still won't have one.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #507
Edward64
Head Coach

Coaching wise, Petrino > Sanders
Old 09-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #508
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa finally won at 1:40 am. I fell asleep watching and then woke up at 1:20 and caught the end.

Pretty boring game where we struggled offensively. Go figure.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #509
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Take him please. Best part about FSUs decent start is Deion would likely have to wait a year or two longer for the FSU job to come open.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #510
GrantDawg

Edward, there is no doubt of that. Petrino is just never going to a job where he is going to have both hands tied behind his back in recruiting. That isxehy I think Sanders is a strange choice. He can recruit, but he is going to have to find players willing to take on the course load required.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2022, 02:14 PM   #511
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Barry Odom is a hell of a DC. Shitty HC though

Hogs have the worst pass defense in the nation right now. Pretty good run defense but why run when you can pass.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rGame/dir/desc
Old 09-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #512
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs are #10 in AP & Coaches poll.

A&M up +1 to #23. I'm actually surprised they aren't up a little more. They beat Miami convincingly IMO.

I have confidence the Hogs can beat A&M. But we've shown that we can be unsettled in a noisy stadium (e.g. UGA '21).
Old 09-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Huskies debut at 18 in the AP poll. MSU drops all the way out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:16 PM   #514
Atocep
Coordinator

Herm Edwards fired
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:35 PM   #515
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
UW looked great last night. Came out and punched MSU from the start. Let up a little in the 4th quarter but I can't complain at all. DeBoer has brought a great change in culture and Penix is the real deal. We have always had talent, it is all coming together now.

DeBoer seems to be the magic elixir for Penix.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #516
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope he can stay healthy. Seemed like a good kid with bad luck.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #517
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Herm Edwards fired

By the GM or owner?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #518
Ksyrup

Quote:
Hogs are #10 in AP & Coaches poll.

A&M up +1 to #23. I'm actually surprised they aren't up a little more. They beat Miami convincingly IMO.

I have confidence the Hogs can beat A&M. But we've shown that we can be unsettled in a noisy stadium (e.g. UGA '21).

A&M had 265 yards of offense. They didn't look very good.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #519
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #520
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Gives me bad memories of one Kordell Stewart.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #521
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
By who, exactly? The story for most of Harbaugh's time at Michigan, right up until last year, has been 'Harbaugh isn't cutting it, how long till they get rid of him'? I'm not a Harbaugh fan by the way, but I don't see how they've been over-rated in his time there.

Michigan and Iowa haven't played much in recent years, and the whole 'right kind of defense' thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense given how much Michigan has changed their offense in that time period. 2016 is basically the only game at all that matches up to that narrative. And that's their only win (in just three meetings) in the Harbaugh Era.

In 2013 they lost six of their last eight and had trouble scoring against lots of people, lost to Nebraska, needing lots of overtimes to beat Northwestern, etc. Go back further than that and you're a decade back, much different approach, and you have typically struggling Michigan teams not doing well against Iowa and also doing well in general. It's just as often been the defense that is the issue than a problem with scoring points, particularly if you're looking at the three Iowa wins from 09-11.

You are right. Im from the Big 2,little 8 period and hate Michigan. So my narrative is whatever makes me feel superior to Fing Michigan, so be it. I hate Michigan way more than OSU.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:44 PM   #522
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I hope he can stay healthy. Seemed like a good kid with bad luck.

Hopefully with superior talent around him he won't have to do so much and he will stay healthier.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #523
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
my narrative is whatever makes me feel superior to Fing Michigan, so be it. I hate Michigan way more than OSU.

Maybe watch the '85 game weekly? Could help.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #524
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe watch the '85 game weekly? Could help.

This is the reason or the birth or the beginning. Maybe why I think we are better than Michigan

Greatest game of my life.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:46 PM   #525
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You scored 7 points against SD State and lost to Iowa state. I get being a homer but on what planet do you think you could possibly be better than Michigan?
Old 09-19-2022, 08:54 PM   #526
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You scored 7 points against SD State and lost to Iowa state. I get being a homer but on what planet do you think you could possibly be better than Michigan?

I am just enamored by our defense. We got 2 WRs and a RB back. Outr OC sucks,

It is Iowa where we win one we shouldnt (Michigan) And we lose one we shouldnt (Iowa State)

Im an optimist

Old 09-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #527
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That season came from nowhere. Harbaugh was the quarterback then. I was a senior, and the sports editor of the UM Yearbook that year. So I was in the press box for the home games. Bo Schembechler wouldn't talk to me ("yearbook?" he frowned, walking away from me after a game).

It was right after the 6-6 1984 season with the close loss to #1 BYU in the Holiday Bowl. That was Michigan's only non-winning record from pre-Schembechler until the Rich Rodriguez disaster. No one expected anything, then they opened with a huge comeback win against Notre Dame, then off to South Carolina, which was a tough place to play and they were ranked.

I took our lead photographer on a road trip to Columbia, driving all night. Michigan blew them out, and all of a sudden the season looked promising. All that was left was Hayden Fry's best-ever team and the season-ender at Ohio State.

Iowa was the only game I didn't get to see in person, other than the bowl game in Arizona. By then, the Hawkeyes were #1 and Michigan was #2. Iowa dominated that game far more than the score indicated, but couldn't put the ball into the end zone. A Harbaugh touchdown pass had the Wolverines ahead most of the way. Iowa kicked its fourth field goal as time expired for a 12-10 win.

A couple of weeks later, we took another long drive to Champaign for a disappointing 3-3 tie. Even in the '80s, that halftime ceremony with Chief Illiniwek was something to behold - like "who thought that was a good idea?" He was retired in 2007.

The other games were a lot easier. Michigan gave up only 98 points all season while going 10-1-1. Iowa was 10-2 after losing in the Rose Bowl. They beat Iowa State, 57-3, that year.

This year? After that thumping in the Big Ten Championship, they've got to be looking forward to this one. That defense is legit and even though Michigan leads the nation in scoring, they haven't seen anything close to legit yet. The starting QB from last season is injured, but the backup is a 5-star prospect (McCarthy) who is already looking even better. I don't know what to expect.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:01 AM   #528
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
Maybe why I think we are better than Michigan

I think you were better than Michigan that year. It was almost 40 years ago. And there have been other years where that was also the case. The people playing this game weren't alive a decade later.

This year? Iowa could win 21-3 (I don't think they will, but just as a hypothetical) and that wouldn't mean they are better than Michigan in 2022. You've always got a chance at home when you have a good defense. Esp. if McCarthy were to now get injured or something.

But I could think the Detroit Tigers are best team in baseball because they won 11-0 today. I would be very, very wrong. The Tigers suck by MLB standards, as they have for years. If they win the next five games, that won't change that. Body of work and all that.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-20-2022 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #529
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs have the best fans ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/19/beyo...mans-nose.html
Quote:
Beyond Meat Chief Operating Officer Doug Ramsey was arrested this weekend after allegedly biting a man’s nose in an Arkansas parking garage following a college football game.
:
Ramsey allegedly started punching him and bit his nose, “ripping the flesh on the tip of the nose,” according to the report. The victim and a witness also alleged that Ramsey told the Subaru owner he would kill him.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #530
Ksyrup

I don't do much punching, either people or inanimate objects, but how the hell do you punch through a car's back windshield and still have a working hand?
Old 09-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #531
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is not that much of a stretch that his hand was working after putting it through the windshield. I am also assuming this incident happened after a few hours of tailgating and access to the stadium suite bars. I give him credit for engaging in hand to hand combat and not gun play.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #532
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm more curious about what causes a man to bite another man's nose.

I'm also curious if we'll start seeing a nose flavored line of Beyond Meat.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #533
Ksyrup

Maybe he realized his hand hurt so he used his teeth as a weapon.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #534
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Inexplicably, Kansas is in "others receiving votes" in both polls.

I don't expect this to continue. I just want it here for posterity.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #535
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

[

Also Syracuse and Indiana are 3-0. Duke plays at Kansas this week? Will the winner be ranked in the top 25?

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 09-20-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #536
GrantDawg

Deion Sanders to GT makes little sense, but Deion to Arizona State I could see.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #537
bob
College Starter

Deion to GT seems based on 2 things: Atlanta, and the fact that at one point last season he tweeted at GT Athletics that he wanted them to contact him but it seems like he was trying to see if they could use the GT practice field (can’t remember if it was prior to a bowl game or they had to relo due to hurricane or something else).

I’m not saying it won’t happen, cause I sure don’t have any contacts, but just the recruiting difficulty makes it seem unlikely to me.

Last edited by bob : 09-20-2022 at 02:43 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #538
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Inexplicably, Kansas is in "others receiving votes" in both polls.

I don't expect this to continue. I just want it here for posterity.

SI

Luckily for you, they are not playing Coastal Carolina this season
Old 09-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #539
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

Well, you know what they say, if you want to succeed in a competitive marketplace, you need to have a nose for business. Doesn't really specify whose nose.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #540
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
Duke plays at Kansas this week? Will the winner be ranked in the top 25?

They should be. I think it was 33 teams left at 3-0. If you get to 4-0, there's some teams with losses that might still be ahead of you, but at some point you have to say 'that's no longer an accident, might be a decent team there'.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #541
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Luckily for you, they are not playing Coastal Carolina this season

Heck, we were all still mad at whoever scheduled Houston last week until about 5 minutes after the game ended

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #542
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Heck, we were all still mad at whoever scheduled Houston last week until about 5 minutes after the game ended

SI

LOL
Old 09-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #543
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They should be. I think it was 33 teams left at 3-0. If you get to 4-0, there's some teams with losses that might still be ahead of you, but at some point you have to say 'that's no longer an accident, might be a decent team there'.

Not sure that isn't premature, at least in Duke's case.

Their schedule to date has been woeful (Temple, Northwestern, NC A&T) while Kansas sounds like a considerable better schedule (Tn Tech, WVU, Houston) but the bigger names there are a combined 2-4 and are smelling like dumpster fires in progress.

With the way their schedules shape up, probably have to get to 7-0 before we get to "okay, decent to relatively good"

That does NOT however mean they couldn't get into the Top 25 ... it's more that #25 really ain't very good any more
Old 09-20-2022, 06:09 PM   #544
RainMaker
General Manager

I think you can justify Kansas sneaking in if they beat Duke, but I don't think Duke belongs. Throwing out the FCS game, they beat Temple who is Temple, and Northwestern which may be one of the worst FBS schools in the country (they just got beat pretty soundly by an 0-2 FCS school the other day).

Kansas at least beat 2 teams on the road that will probably be playing in a bowl this season.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #545
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Today is, I believe, either the fourth or fifth straight day that the AJC has run some form of a "Collins has to go" article/column.

Those familiar with the Atlanta paper know that really isn't the norm for them. The only person I can recall getting hammered THIS hard by them was Jim Donnan.

Reading between the lines a little, if the upcoming game turns out as expected then firing Collins within a few hours seems like the only way AD Stansbury might save his own job (and even then I'm not sure they both won't be out if it's a multi-touchdown affair)
Old 09-21-2022, 03:14 PM   #546
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also, fwiw (your mileage may vary), Josh Pate swears that there's definitely a push for Deion Sanders to GT underway. Contingent on him agreeing to hire a first rate staff (he cited Sam Pittman's staff as the model for that)
Old 09-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #547
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Today is, I believe, either the fourth or fifth straight day that the AJC has run some form of a "Collins has to go" article/column.

Those familiar with the Atlanta paper know that really isn't the norm for them. The only person I can recall getting hammered THIS hard by them was Jim Donnan.

Reading between the lines a little, if the upcoming game turns out as expected then firing Collins within a few hours seems like the only way AD Stansbury might save his own job (and even then I'm not sure they both won't be out if it's a multi-touchdown affair)

I saw that UCF is a 20 point favorite. I didn't really think they were that good this year, but maybe gamblers know this team has quit on Collins.

What a dumb contract. If he is fired before Jan 1 he gets the full contract (drops about ~3 million after that). But you can't wait that long if you are firing him.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I saw that UCF is a 20 point favorite. I didn't really think they were that good this year, but maybe gamblers know this team has quit on Collins.

What a dumb contract. If he is fired before Jan 1 he gets the full contract (drops about ~3 million after that). But you can't wait that long if you are firing him.

Yeah, first ever ACC team to be a 20 point dog to a non-P5 team.

If Plumlee gets into a rhythm, they might score 70 on this defense.
If he doesn't, then it's probably closer to the vegas line.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #549
Ksyrup

I don't know anything about Plumlee other than what I saw against Louisville. He was awful. I don't know the final stats, but at one point he was 9-9 passing at or behind the LOS and 7-26 beyond the LOS.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:02 PM   #550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't know anything about Plumlee other than what I saw against Louisville. He was awful. I don't know the final stats, but at one point he was 9-9 passing at or behind the LOS and 7-26 beyond the LOS.

Much more effective as a runner than a thrower, a legit threat to take it to the house on every carry. 60% completion rate (season to date) is probably about where I'd expect him to be, much improved passer since his freshman season at Ole Miss.

But he ain't back there to throw it, he's back there to be a 1,000 yard rusher