Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2022, 03:12 PM   #1651
Edward64
Head Coach

Rumors that Barry Odom interviewing for the Tulsa job.

I know the Hogs may get someone worse than him but fair chance we’ll find someone better. Considering our past 3 years of bad to mediocre defense, willing to take that gamble
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:45 PM   #1652
Thomkal
Head Coach

Chants move quickly to replace Chadwell, not needing a search committee with the possibility he was going to leave last season:

Coastal Carolina hires NC State OC Tim Beck as coach
Old 12-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #1653
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I don't understand the Deion thing. There are definitely going to be better openings coming up soon other than Colorado and USF, why not wait and see what happens? I have to imagine if he waited another season he could probably have the Miami job, maybe Michigan State or Virginia. Choosing between a pair of 1-win teams seems silly.

It's a Power 5 job in a non-southern state where the expectations have cratered to rock bottom, with a fan base that can vaguely remember when they were good and boosters who'll spend.

Jackson State is a massively underresourced job, they literally broke the ceiling on the success they were able to generate for that place given ALL of the structural constraints to having success in a place like that. To think you could just keep doing that year to year isn't realistic. All it takes it one injury, one freak thing to derail the whole thing and now you're stuck.

If there were a realistic chance of getting them to FBS somehow, then maybe you stick around and ride that wave for a while, but...I bet the CU folks were persistent, the Pac-12 is going to be bereft of a dominant team and the job they did at Jackson was a lot harder than whatever you're going to deal with at a Power 5 program, even if it's CU.

It doesn't match geographically for him, and it'll be an odd fit at times...but...I think this is the optimal case of "go while your name is hot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I was thinking Sanders took that job to showcase his son at the P5 level.

Also this is the biggest thing. Your kid is already probably the best QB in FCS, are you holding him back by not letting him play better competition? Especially when you have a good thing going. The Deion has that a lot of guys in his situation don't is the wisdom to hire an experienced staff. The guys he got to willingly go to Jackson and essentially work for free is wild.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-04-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #1654
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I believe I just saw a retweet of a 5 star from Ft. Myers basically committing to Colorado. Will be interesting if he is able to pull a few 4 and 5 stars in a couple of weeks and/or as transfers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #1655
Ksyrup

I saw rumors that DJ Ukelele was entering the portal and going to be packaged with his 5 star DE brother to a west coast team early yesterday, but it was essentially confirmed when Dabo benched him during the 1st half last night and basically threw him under the bus during the halftime interview. Now, I'm seeing that he is, in fact, headed into the portal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #1656
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I saw an article that pointed out something I hadn't really considered in isolation but it does make sense once I thought about it

Colorado is SO bad that "progress" will be a pretty low bar to clear. For at least two seasons if not more. And doing so in a weakened conference makes it even easier to attain.

Gotta keep the hype train rollin', probably not an easier P5 job to do that at right now. It takes very little to look like an improvement.
Yep, especially combined with the transfer portal. Bring your son in, bring in a bunch of transfers, and get 6 wins and a bowl in one of the next 2 years & your star is still golden. Shoot you could.probably spin 3-4 wins as a step in the right direction.

And it's not even that crazy - in the NIL collective world, a star CEO coach who can bring in talent plays. Don't blame him for not going straight to an Auburn or Ole Miss, especially if the goal is FSU.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #1657
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Funny to see ND's QB (and a bunch more) transfer this early. As a fan it makes sense to get rid of this early period, but if it does help kids transfer to the new school with the varied winter academic calendars fine, just something new to pat attention to.

Overall I liked Pyne more than Buchner, though if the staff wasn't even willing to commit to him for the bowl game I support him getting out and going somewhere that will value him. Question now is if ND goes for a P5 starter to at least make it a competition or rolls with Buchner & the true FR Minchey for next year. (Oh, and I guess Angeli, but yeah I doubt he ever starts beyond desperation time.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-04-2022 at 07:46 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #1658
Ksyrup

People in Tallahassee aren't enjoying Jimbo's struggles, are they?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-04-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:26 PM   #1659
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Shoot you could.probably spin 3-4 wins as a step in the right direction..

3-4 wins next year and 6 by as late as year three is precisely the expectation I read being discussed.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:34 PM   #1660
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Since they haven't won six games in several years, I can definitely see getting to that point in 2-3 years as being seen as progress.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #1661
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh ye of little faith.

I believe in Neon Deon to exceed expectations ...

(I hope)
Old 12-05-2022, 06:24 AM   #1662
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

He is going to draw talent, that is for sure.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #1663
Ksyrup

Thamel reporting that Louisville's coach is expected become the next HC at Cincinnati.

As if that isn't weird enough, they play in a couple weeks in the Fenway Bowl...

#Awkward

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-05-2022 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #1664
HerRealName
College Prospect

So Mazi Smith (Michigan's best DT) has been facing felony charges most of the season but has never neen formally charged or suspended? It amazes me what they get away with. ESPN would be camped out in Columbus for a month if this happened a little further South.

Edit: another article says his conceal carry license was in the middle of getting approved. If so, it seems weird the prosecutor would let this hang for a couple months.

Last edited by HerRealName : 12-05-2022 at 07:42 AM.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:12 AM   #1665
Ksyrup

Devin Leary from NC State in the portal.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:37 AM   #1666
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Since they haven't won six games in several years, I can definitely see getting to that point in 2-3 years as being seen as progress.

/Waives from Kansas football/

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #1667
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Devin Leary from NC State in the portal.

Interesting. wonder if he ends up at Coastal with his old offensive coordinator if McCall leaves for the draft/transfers.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #1668
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Riff, Ram, Bah, Zoo
Lickety, Lickety, Zoo Zoo
Who, Wah, Wah, Who
Give 'em Hell, TCU!

With that out of the way, I wish I could honestly slam all the "TCU gonna get trucked" talk, but I can't. Wouldn't shock me if they lost by 20 or more.

However, they deserve to be in. Always get a blowout- often two- in the semifinal games anyway. There just aren't usually 4 great teams in a year.

I grew up in Ft. Worth and I'm old. From 1960-1997 (Pre Dennis Franchione/Gary Patterson) We were in a total of 3 bowl games (lost all 3). Had a grand total of 7 winning seasons (four with 6 wins, only one with as many as 8, never two years in a row). That's a lot of shitty teams, and I was at many, many of the games (when I was a little kid, we didn't even watch the game. Kids would throw a ball around on a hill outside the stadium.)

So, I'm just really psyched (not to mention shocked) that this team, mostly the same that was 5-7 last year and lost a number of our best players to the portal, is in this position. So it's awesome for me to be in the playoffs knowing we are the first Texas school ever in it.

Fear the Frog... at least until Dec 31!!

Glad the locals got the nod. Michigan will not boatrace this team!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #1669
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Glad the locals got the nod. Michigan will not boatrace this team!

Duggan presents a particular challenge they haven't seen this season. They don't boatrace anyone. More a steady grinding down. This requires ball control, and so if they're going to do it, they need the ball in the first place.

It's an intriguing matchup. People are more enthused because TCU isn't Georgia and running into 2021 Georgia with all that NFL talent felt like they didn't belong on the same field. The line seems too high right now. Too many unknowns. TCU plays in a conference where only Kansas State even remotely resembles a Big Ten defense. They came back big on Kansas State twice and no one has come back once Michigan gets started. But there's always a first.

I'd worry more about TCU doing the boatracing. But if TCU doesn't, then Michigan has the edge.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #1670
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Hearing whispers that Jaxon Smith-Njigba is going to be back for Ohio State in the playoffs.

Well poop, this ain't happening. Egbuka is really good but he's better playing on the outside.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #1671
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Penix is coming back baby!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #1672
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

With Smith-Njigba I think Ohio State has the best receivers in college football. I don't know what's up with his leg but I think they would have a real chance, even if still an underdog, against Georgia with him around. A lot of people have forgotten how good he is.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #1673
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Penix is coming back baby!!!

Crap. I was hoping he'd come out and the Lions could snag him in the 2nd round.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #1674
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
With Smith-Njigba I think Ohio State has the best receivers in college football. I don't know what's up with his leg but I think they would have a real chance, even if still an underdog, against Georgia with him around. A lot of people have forgotten how good he is.

He's amazing. I think what's up with his leg right now is - NFLitis. He just declared for the draft.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:13 PM   #1675
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Crap. I was hoping he'd come out and the Lions could snag him in the 2nd round.

Teams would need to think carefully about Penix's injury history before drafting him. He had two season-ending injuries at IU. One on a play where he wasn't hit and was just running out of bounds. Love the kid, but taking him would be risky.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:44 PM   #1676
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Teams would need to think carefully about Penix's injury history before drafting him. He had two season-ending injuries at IU. One on a play where he wasn't hit and was just running out of bounds. Love the kid, but taking him would be risky.

I'd be concerned about spending a high pick on any QB who spends 6 seasons in college.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #1677
Ksyrup

Damn, ha!

Old 12-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #1678
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I saw an article that pointed out something I hadn't really considered in isolation but it does make sense once I thought about it

Colorado is SO bad that "progress" will be a pretty low bar to clear. For at least two seasons if not more. And doing so in a weakened conference makes it even easier to attain.

Gotta keep the hype train rollin', probably not an easier P5 job to do that at right now. It takes very little to look like an improvement.

I could honestly see them winning or at least playing in the conference title game in a couple of years. I feel like he'll out-recruit everyone besides Oregon in that conference and have some top-tier transfers. And while he isn't experienced, he puts a pretty good staff around him. The guy had Mike Zimmer helping out at Jackson State.

It'll be interesting to see how long he says. I think it's a great signing for Colorado. That program has been going nowhere and at worst, Deion will bring in talent. They didn't have much to lose.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:25 PM   #1679
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That program has been going nowhere and at worst, Deion will bring in talent. They didn't have much to lose.

Problem is knowing what to do with talent when he actually has to face talent.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #1680
Ksyrup

Jordan Travis coming back to FSU. I didn't think he would go as I don't think he's a legit NFL prospect, so why not get paid and try to dethrone Clemson next year?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #1681
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
He is going to draw talent, that is for sure.

Do the kids these days with their rock-and-roll and MTV really care about Deion Sanders?
Old 12-05-2022, 09:07 PM   #1682
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Do the kids these days with their rock-and-roll and MTV really care about Deion Sanders?

If he comes with a check ...
Old 12-05-2022, 09:37 PM   #1683
JPhillips
General Manager

Deion's real skill will be wooing the donors to get them to pitch into the NIL pot. I expect he'll, at least initially, be very good at that.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:48 PM   #1684
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Well I did a survey of one 15 year old who has no interest in college football. He had no idea who Deion Sanders is. He does know who Coach Prime is and knew about Coach Prime's meeting with his new players.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:06 AM   #1685
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Well I did a survey of one 15 year old who has no interest in college football. He had no idea who Deion Sanders is. He does know who Coach Prime is and knew about Coach Prime's meeting with his new players.

Fascinating.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #1686
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I have rarely had less of a feel for something than I do for Sanders' future.

If you were to tell me that this ends with him winning a National Championship with FSU with an NIL budget that rivals an NFL team's payroll, I'd buy it.

If you were to tell me that it ends so badly that somehow people end up in prison and a program gets the death penalty and they end up making a really good 30 for 30 about it called Time's Up, I'd buy that too.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:24 AM   #1687
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Probably not the majority of kids. But guessing parents of HS football juniors & seniors do.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #1688
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #1689
cuervo72
Head Coach

How is it that we don't have an Aflac Bowl, anyway?
Old 12-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #1690
Ksyrup

JT Daniels is apparently trying to become the Josh Johnson of CFB.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #1691
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I honestly didn't know much about him before he came to wvu, other than he was a former 5* that started at usc at one point. I wasn't blown away. He's more talented than what wvu had out there before (Jarrett Doege isn't a high bar though), but the arm talent is pretty mediocre. Before he lost all confidence around the midway point of the season he was smart and accurate but wasn't going to win games on his own.

I think a lot of wvu fans were expecting/hoping for another Will Grier and he's definitely not in that level as a quarterback.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #1692
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa getting killed by the portal

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:43 PM   #1693
Edward64
Head Coach

Barry Odom to UNLV

Alright Sam, let’s see who we can get
Old 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #1694
Ksyrup

Jim Leonhard leaving Wisconsin after the bowl game.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #1695
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Jim Leonhard leaving Wisconsin after the bowl game.

That was a name circulating in the Hog forum. Apparently, we paid Odom more than what Leonhard was making.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:31 PM   #1696
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Penix Jr was named second team all PAC 12 and man, Huskies nation is melting down on social media.

FTR I think Williams deserved first team.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:46 PM   #1697
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thamel reporting that Louisville's coach is expected become the next HC at Cincinnati.

As if that isn't weird enough, they play in a couple weeks in the Fenway Bowl...

#Awkward

Also read that both teams will be on the same sideline. Or at least both teams were on the same sideline in a previous Fenway bowl.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:46 AM   #1698
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Penix Jr was named second team all PAC 12 and man, Huskies nation is melting down on social media.

FTR I think Williams deserved first team.

Has a player not been first team in their conference and still went on to win the Heisman? Did they think Williams wasn't going to win?
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #1699
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:

Meh, this dude started playing college football in 2016 and won the FCS player of the year this year.

Lindsey Scott Jr - Wikipedia.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #1700
JPhillips
General Manager

Stetson Bennett and Lamar Jackson share the same birth year.