Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #101
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled, brave brave brave brave Sir Coffee!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
i'm gonna be naked and holding a BB gun and no, it's not a Red Ryder.

You'll put an eye out with that thing.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #103
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I certainly hope it's an alien eye!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #104
TonyR
High School Varsity

Kodos better be careful
Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #105
Tasan
College Starter

Mission 4
January 28, 2040

The Triton approaches the touchdown site. Tension is high. Three didn't return from the last mission. The troops go about the process of gearing up, and the doors slide open. The roster for the mission:

DataKing - Alpha
BYU 14 - Alpha
illinifan999 – Alpha – Hydro Jet Cannon
path12 - Alpha
Greyroofoo - Alpha
ntndeacon - Bravo
The Jackal - Bravo – Gas Cannon
fff - Bravo
MrBug708 – Bravo – Gas Cannon
JeeberD – Charlie – Hydro Jet Cannon
TonyR - Charlie
Roberto - Charlie
Chief Rum - Charlie
PurdueBrad - Charlie

The drop ship has set down in a deep part of the Atlantic, with lava flows and smoke vents. We'll have to be careful. First out the door is DataKing. He'll lead Alpha Team and be the onsite commander for the mission. He steps out and takes a look around. Everything is clear. The ship has settled in the far northwest corner of the active grid. DataKing will take his team along the western edge, heading south. Next out is ntndeacon. He will lead Bravo Team. They will cut a diagonal across the grid, from northwest to southeast. JeeberD is next, and he'll lead Charlie Team east across the northern edge of the grid.

The teams form up and spread out. DataKing spots movement. “Little guy spotted, due south!”

Labbies are callin' 'em Aquatoids.” pipes BYU 14.

I don't care what it is, someone take it out!” yells DataKing.

On it!” BYU 14 drops to a knee and takes aim. His shot sails high though.

Dammit do I have to do everything myself?” DataKing takes a knee, lines it up and hits square in its chest. It screams and falls down, lifeless. “One down team. Stay frosty ladies!”

Someone's been staying up late watching old sci-fi” chirps path12.

The teams get distance between themselves. Strange noises reverberate through the water, like sliding panels or something else mechanical. Besides the smoke and lava flows, everything else is still.

fff is the first to spot the ship. “This thing doesn't look small at all, its bigger than what we came in!”

Yeah I know fff, I think we're gonna crap our pants when we see something bigger,” responds The Jackal.
The teams are approaching the sub from a different angle than every time before. Instead of coming at it from the door side, everyone is positioned towards the other side of the ship. The teams will have to make their ways around it before assaulting.

Guys, with the way this thing is positioned, we're gonna do this differently this time,” says DataKing. “Chief Rum and PurdueBrad, break from Charlie team and join Bravo. Original Bravo team will head down the west facing side of the sub, and you two head down the east facing side. When Charlie is done with their sweep they will join you. Greyroofoo, you and path12 split from our group and join Bravo as well. Out.”

With their orders, the teams regroup and begin the approach towards the alien vessel. The Jackal is the first to get eyes on the front door. He takes a firing position and waits for the rest of the squad. Greyroofoo is next on scene. When he arrives, The Jackal moves to another position on top of a ridge overlooking the doors, and Greyroofoo takes his old spot. ntndeacon joins them and takes up position next to the hull of the sub. path12 and fff meet up with them and take position as reserves.

Southwest corner clear,” reports illinifan999. He turns and begins to move towards the sub to join the assault. DataKing and BYU 14, with their team's mission complete, turn towards the sub as well.

Southeast corner clear now,” JeeberD reports. What's left of his team turns towards the sub as well. 14 aquanauts now descend on the alien vessel.

An alien sticks its head out the door. “Got him!” cries The Jackal and lets loose an HE round at the creature. It hits the alien on the side of the head, blasting green and grey goo all over the ship and sea floor.

Troops, lets hold at the entryway til we can get the teams in position. Everyone cover that blasted out door and wait for my orders,” DataKing commands.

Everyone is about set. Another alien shows himself in the doorway, but quickly ducks back in before anyone can get a shot off.

The teams assemble.

fff and ntndeacon wait on the topside next to the hull, with Chief Rum and PurdueBrad on the bottom side. The rest of the squad is providing cover fire.

DataKing gives orders again. “OK squad, this is how its going to go down. ntndeacon and Chief Rum will enter first, from their respective sides. They'll be followed by fff and PurdueBrad. path12 will enter next along with TonyR. Once they're inside, we'll form up closer to the doors and send more folks in as needed. You have your orders, go!”

MrBug708 starts moving to get a better position to cover the door. From inside the sub, two shots fly out. One hits harmlessly on the ridge below MrBug708, but the second finds its target about mid rib and splits him in two. No one has a line on the alien, and DataKing orders a halt to the plan. As he does this, the alien steps forward to find more targets and The Jackal lets loose with another HE round, finding his target and send it into a million pieces. Satisfied that it was the only one with eyes on them, DataKing orders the plan back into action.

DataKing orders the heavy weapons holders to load in AP rounds. The last thing needed now is an HE round to go off in the middle of the troops. ntndeacon and Chief Rum are in position, with fff and PurdueBrad waiting their turn. All the sudden the door directly in front of Chief Rum opens and an alien steps through, gun blazing. Chief Rum takes a shot in the chest and falls dead. fff fires over his body, hitting the alien. It doesn't drop though, so ntndeacon takes aim and puts two more rounds in it, killing it.

PurdueBrad advances in Chief Rum's place, and enters the right side interior door. The room is clear. fff passes ntndeacon, who is checking his weapon, and enters the left side interior door. An alien is in front of him, so he puts an auto shot into the thing, kill it. However, another alien was waiting around the corner, and hits fff with a shot, kill him. On news of this TonyR moves up and prepares to enter, along with path12.

PurdueBrad checks an interior room. fff lies dead in the other one to the left, while ntndeacon kneels near the fallen Chief Rum. path12 is behind him with TonyR waiting on the other side.

As the others move into position to possibly aid the assault, Greyroofoo spots the alien that killed fff, on the far side of the room, through two doors and over the heads of two fellow aquanauts. DataKing sees this and yells “HOLD YOUR FIRE!” Greyroofoo lowers his weapon and doesn't take the shot.

Inside the ship, PurdueBrad spots another alien, but it passes him and goes through another door. It didn't spot him! He chases it to the door, throws the door open, and puts three rounds into the alien, killing it. Ntndeacon, spurred on by PurdueBrad's success, storms in through the door to the room where fff died. Unfortunately, before he can even scan the room, and shot flies out and hits the side of his helmet, vaporizing his brains.

PurdueBrad takes what little cover there is in a corner and waits. Another alien walks right past him! He again throws open the door and pumps three more rounds into this one, killing it as well.

On the other side, path12 primes a grenade and tosses it into the “room of death”. TonyR does the same. The grenades go off followed by secondary explosions, an alien screams, and all goes quiet. The rest of the ship is searched and no more aliens are found.

The mission is over. Eight aliens were killed, seven bodies recovered. Four aquanauts gave their lives. With heavy hearts, the rest of the squad collects the scattered gear and artifacts and loads into the Triton. The cost of this new war continues to rise.

hoopsguy, The Jackal, and PurdueBrad are all promoted to Ensign. DataKing becomes our second Lieutenant, and either him or chesapeake will be on each mission.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-03-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #106
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Son of a Gun! There wasn't any beer in my locker, though there was a nice little still behind the bed.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #107
Tasan
College Starter

Yeah see, fff was supposed to keep that from happening to you, ntndeacon. I just forgot to clear the room before firing. I was worried about the guy in front of me taking a shot if I turned fff to look. Then, I should have just fragged the room before storming back in. Lesson learned.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #108
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Inside the ship, PurdueBrad spots another alien, but it passes him and goes through another door. It didn't spot him! He chases it to the door, throws the door open, and puts three rounds into the alien, killing it.

PurdueBrad takes what little cover there is in a corner and waits. Another alien walks right past him! He again throws open the door and pumps three more rounds into this one, killing it as well.

That's what I call a good day at the office.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #109
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
That's what I call a good day at the office.

Its what I call an extremely LUCKY day at the office. Look at the second picture. That's you in the room to the right. The first alien walked perpendicular to you to that far door and went through it, not spotting you. I get that one, he just never turned. You hit that door and he was right there, blam blam blam he's down. You were almost out of time though, and I didn't want you to stay right at that door, so with the little time left you run to that corner RIGHT THERE and turn around to face the door with your remaining time. The NEXT alien turn, another one comes out of that black area at the bottom there, WALKS RIGHT PAST YOU THROUGH THE DOOR, not shooting at you once. I just knew you were dead.

That, my friend, is a lucky day at the office.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #110
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That, my friend, is a lucky day at the office.

I just think it is good leadership on your part. I've been playing this for three or four days and am getting slaughtered left and right.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #111
Tasan
College Starter

Understand this about the X-COM games. I was a freshman in college when the original game came out, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early 90s. I bought a computer magazine (I think PC Gamer) with a 3 1/2 demo disk of the game on it. My roommate and I probably played that ONE MISSION 100 times. It was supposed to be set up to be impossible to win. We eventually won it. The game crashed.

A couple of months later we saved up the money to buy the game, then spent a whole semester doing little other than that. You can check our grades for proof ;- )

I've played this game quite a bit I'd think, and it still kicks my butt every time I pick it back up. Its about the only game I can truthfully say this about.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #112
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I've played this game quite a bit I'd think, and it still kicks my butt every time I pick it back up. Its about the only game I can truthfully say this about.

+1.

I cannot think of a game that has stood the test of time for this long, and STILL is a considerable challenge every time I pick it up.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #113
Tasan
College Starter

Another funny note: I once had a friend in college play X-COM instead of going to a Math class test. When he realized what he had done, he went to the quack shack (slang for the local doctor) to fake illness for a note. By the time he got there, he was actually running a fever.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Damn, dude, not even a freakin' shot out of my gun before I got killed.

Bring on Chief Rum II!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #115
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Damn, dude, not even a freakin' shot out of my gun before I got killed.

Bring on Chief Rum II!

I know man, yours was almost as brutal as ntndeacon's. Point blank, pow, you're dead without a chance to even fire.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #116
hoopsguy
General Manager

We're gonna need a bigger boat (full of reinforcements).
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #117
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Can't get it off Steam for some reason, sad

Oh and sign me up!
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #118
JeeberD
General Manager

Great first mission for JeeberD, not so exciting second mission. On that first mission, though, didn't I get three kills, not two?

Quote:
JeeberD, over what's left of Travis's left shoulder, lets loose with a volley from his Hydro Cannon. The Gill Man ducks back into the darkness, but at least one scream is heard following the explosion. The teams take a more cautious approach to the door now.

JeeberD moves closer and can now see at least two dead Gill Men inside the craft.

Quote:
The Gill Man attempts to run from the west section of his ship to the east, but JeeberD's on the trigger again, and this time finds his mark. Green goo is splattered on the bulkhead as the HE round catches him in the legs, blowing them clear off.

Either way, great stuff Tasan...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #119
chesapeake
College Starter

The troops need armor, General. How long until the eggheads get us something we can use in the field?

And Jeeber, the HE rounds often knock out the aliens from the concussion of the blast -- unless you shred them with a direct hit. I've taken out 4 but only killed 2 (not that I'm counting ).
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #120
TonyR
High School Varsity

I second the vote for development of some type of body armor.
Seeing too many teammates take the dirt nap.
I think someone's been slipping something into the food making us think body armor is overrated.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #121
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Just got caught up, and I was going to say the exact same thing as chesapeake and TonyR. We need those eggheads working on body armor ASAP. Medkits aren't going to do us a damn bit of good if we can't survive hits in the first place.

Shame about the boys we lost clearing that vessel, but close-quarters combat is nasty business. I'd recommend we start using grenades as room-clearers, assuming our supplies are good.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #122
Tasan
College Starter

Believe me, I've talked to the guys in the lab about some kind of armor for you. They think the key is this plasticy yet hard skin from the ships, but they haven't figured out a way to do anything with it yet. As soon as there is some kind of breakthrough, I'll make it job #1 for the engineers to make.

Oh and agreed on the grenades. I think the thinking was that since this was a ship that had landed on its own, we wanted to save as much salvage as possible, and that room was filled with goodies. However, from now on, we throw first, worry about goodies later.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #123
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I keep looking at this dynasty and I'm going to end up buying the games off Steam. If practiced is rained out, help me.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #124
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Oh well, at least I got a hit and a kill before biting this bullet...and that 's a lot more than poor Chief Rum can say...

Bring on the clone!

fff II reporting for duty, SIR!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #125
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Add me to the list too!
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #126
Tasan
College Starter

The Triton returns home and the troops offload themselves and the collected alien artifacts. A million dollars is collected from the items sold off, and that's added into our general funds. The end of the month is fast approaching, so our monthly funding should be coming shortly. Word is that our benefactors feel we've been doing a good job so far, so the check should be good.

Paperwork has cleared on the last two of the ten aquanauts that came earlier. Here's a look at the latest members of X-COM:

Abe Sargent
Spoiler
Kills-0

Icy
Spoiler
Kills-0

I hesitate to order more recruits. We stand at 22 right now, and payday is coming. Standard contract says we pay for a month no matter how many days you are active for it, so I don't want to bring on more guys now and have to foot the bill for them. We'll wait til February. I do order construction to start on a wide-array sonar. Its pricey, but with this location I feel we are letting some contacts slip by because we can't see them. It will be ready by the end of February they tell me.

Its getting flat out cramped in Base Atlantic. Everywhere you look, an alien doodad is stashed in a corner, under a desk, jammed into a closet. Next month, I think we'll look into opening a new base for storage, research, and manufacture.

The days drag on again. The end of the month arrives, and as expected everyone loves the job we're doing so far, getting an Excellent rating overall. We'll see how long that lasts. Our funding increases substantially. This should really help us expand in the coming months.

After returning from the review at the UN, I immediately order a new base to be constructed in the South China Sea. It will be 10 days til the storage facility is finished, and as soon as that's done, we'll start work on a lab, another storage facility, and a living quarters. My goal is to move most research and development to that location, but I also think we can use it as another base of operations, so I also order a sub pen to be created. We still have over 2.5 million in the bank, so I order 10 more scientists and 10 more engineers. This will max out our lab space for the scientists at the Atlantic facility.

The three days passes quickly waiting for the new techs. When they arrive, the scientists are all placed on the sonic rifle project, and the engineers are put to work assisting the manufacture of the Medi-Kits. We'll continue to make Medi-Kits to sell until we have other projects we can work on.

Time continues to creep by, and I'm beginning to wonder if we've scared the critters off. It's been a full week and a half since we last saw action. Some good news comes in a couple of days later. The eggheads have figured out the alien's Sonic Blasta Rifle. The look to be FAR more accurate and 3 times more powerful than our Jet Harpoons. I instruct all of them working on that project to move over to the clip project. One of the scientists from the the rifle project takes one look at the clip research, erases some figures and writes a couple of things down, and say “EUREKA!” The rest groan and roll their eyes, but the result is an immediate breakthrough with the clip! I order our entire stock loaded onto the Triton for immediate use, and tell the now idle scientists to start working on the alien grenade.

We settle in for a few more days of nothing. On the 9th of February, our sonar techs hit the general alarm. A large blip, at least 3 times bigger than anything else seen so far, has been spotted. This is quite a dilemma. Our interceptor subs have been damaged going up against the small alien vessels. Can they withstand something this big? Discretion if the better part of valor, I tell myself, and I order the sonar operators to track the contact and keep me updated. Tracking reports the ship moving towards the US eastern seaboard. As it nears the coast it slows, then stops. My hotline starts ringing. The UN special council on Alien Affairs is on the line with the Mayor of Boston, who is reporting sightings of creatures coming out of the harbor and attacking civilians. I order the Triton to Boston immediately. Lets see how we fare on land.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-04-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #127
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Do we really need to save Boston?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #128
Tasan
College Starter

Mission 5
February 9, 2040

Cities. Their tall buildings and tight alleys will not make this fun at all. Boston PD has cordoned off the harbor area. They report several civilians still inside, but they didn't want to go and get them. Figures. Don't worry folks, X-COM is here to save you.

hoopsguy
RendeR – Gas Cannon
Kodos II – Gas Cannon
chesapeake
Neon Chaos II
TonyR – Jet Harpoon + grenades
illinifan999
Barkeep49 II
Poli
Abe Sargent
PurdueBrad
RealDeal II – Gas Cannon
Icy
Travis

TonyR draws a short straw and has to be the only squad member to carry a Jet Harpoon, since we didn't have enough Gas Cannons and Sonic Rifles to go around. He gets some extra grenades to try to help make up for it. Five Sonic Rifle carriers draw short straws as well, and only get 1 clip for their weapons. Everyone else gets either their Gas Cannons or Sonic Rifles, two grenades and an extra clip.

The Triton, a capable flyer as well as a submersible, finds a landing spot in a large parking lot near the harbor, near (but not on) the western edge towards the southern side of the combat grid. hoopsguy, as usual, is first off the ship. He heads towards the nose, and is fired upon from up high and from the west. He turns and spots a Gill Man at the top of a tower, along with a frightened dock worker. He snaps a quick shot off and nails the green monster square in the chest. It screams and falls to the roof, lifeless.

RendeR and Kodos II move off the ship and take positions aiming down alleyways. We want to be careful with the high explosives because of all the civilians running around. Neon Chaos II is off next, and he heads towards the tail of the ship. Positioning himself on the wing, he sweeps the rear area and spots another Gill Man climbing another tower. He manages to get a quick shot off, and hits the alien dead on. It screams and slumps over dead. These Sonic Rifles seem to be paying off already. Two hits, two dead, and good shots both. The Jet Harpoons often would require multiple shots to bring down these guys.

More of the squad moves out. This time we'll split into pairs, except for the heavy weapons and the Jet Harpoon. They will support the 5 teams of Sonic Rifles when needed, and watch the alleyways.

Two civilians cry out. chesapeake spots one human near a garage. Some kind of large grey alien spits something on the human and it dissolves the flesh off his arm. A Gill Man is also spotted moving in support of this new alien. chesapeake doesn't have a clear shot at either, though. He and hoopsguy move to investigate. As chesapeake moves along a building wall, he spots the big grey thing. He can't get a good line on him though, so he signals to hoopsguy for a grenade. hoopsguy complies, lobbing one right in front of the creature. It goes off but the alien is still standing.

illinifan999 and Poli move off as a team, peering into windows of buildings, looking for signs of aliens. Icy and Travis II move off to scout out a large warehouse near the landing sight. Neon Chaos II and PurdueBrad join up and move off from the tail of the ship. Barkeep49 II and Abe Sargent are the last to pair up, and head around the nose of the ship towards where hoopsguy killed the first alien.

Something comes sailing out of nowhere and lands at the corner of the warehouse near the Triton. Eight men drop.

Aliens catch the X-COM forces just as they depart their drop ship.

Stay tuned for more...
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #129
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

HOLY CRAP, look at that picture!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #130
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

+1
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #131
RendeR
Coordinator

Somehow I don't think I'm one of the guys standing up at this point....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #132
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

YES, yes we do. Go Sawx!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #133
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeoooooow.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is it just my failing eyesight or did everyone go down in the fetal position?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #135
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Stop, drop, and roll brothers.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #136
TonyR
High School Varsity

This might not be happening if we had us some dang body armor!
Especially since I drew the short straw.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #137
Tasan
College Starter

And now the conclusion of Mission 5...

Hoopsguy, RendeR, Kodos II, Barkeep 49 II, Abe Sargent, RealDeal II, Icy, and Travis II are all knocked cold from the blast. Nobody is killed, though. This must be some kind of new stun weapon.

This is almost the worst thing that can happen. Still in the early, bunched up phase of deployment, an area effect weapon goes off. The rest of the squad reach for medi-kits to try to revive their fellow aquanauts. Before they can though, aliens are spotted. The big grey thing starts to move towards chesapeake, but TonyR hits him with a Jet Harpoon (somehow, while in the middle of everyone else passing out, he remained standing). It keeps coming though. chesapeake levels his weapon and squeezes off a shot, hitting and kill the thing. These weapons are fantastic!

Poli sees anther Gill Man, aims and fires. Another one down.

Neon Chaos II and illinifan999 both have medikits and return to the field of unconscious troops to try and help. Neon Chaos II revives Kodos II. He'll have to pick up all his stuff, but he's back in the fight. Illinifan999 attempts to revive RealDeal II, but he's really out.

PurdueBrad moves out to better secure the area, and a shot flies at him, hitting him in the head. He falls down, left hand attempting to hold in his brains. He dies there on the asphalt. Poli spins and sees his PurdueBrad's attacker. He takes two quick shots but misses with both. He's caught out in the open, with a Gill Man who has a clear line of sight to him. He ducks for cover in the shadow of a tower and prays for the best. The Gill Man fires, but not at Poli. It hits a civilian, killing him, then ducks into a building. All around them, screams of civilians can be heard.

Guys, we need to get back up and going fast, or theres not going to be anyone left in Boston to protect!” chesapeake is concerned this mission is going tits up in a hurry. He continues to move closer to the garage where he saw a Gill Man earlier, but he doesn't want to get too far away from his fallen squaddies.

illinifan999 dumps the rest of his stimulants into RealDeal II and he gets up.

"
Kodos II, don't grab your heavy weapons again. Go scavenge up a rifle and help set up the perimeter,” chesapeake instructs.

Got it boss.” Kodos II scrambles around to where Abe Sargent lays and grabs his Sonic Rifle.

From behind a guard shack, a Gill Man leans out and fires. Its not a sonic blast though. It sails over everyone's head and explodes harmlessly a few blocks away. It must be what hit the squad earlier.

Guys, make him a priority before he takes out the rest of us!” orders chesapeake.

TonyR primes a grenade and throws it to the corner where the alien poked around. The grenade goes off but no other sound is heard. Through the smoke, Kodos II spots it move and takes a shot, but misses.

Poli spots the Gill Man from the building earlier and takes another shot at him. His poor aim gets the better of him again, missing. The Gill Man returns fire and doesn't miss, hitting Poli mid-chest, splattering him on the ground where he crouched. illinifan999 moves near Poli's body. He spots the alien moving, shoots, but misses. It turns around but does not fire, instead choosing to seek cover.

RealDeal II heads over to where Barkeep49 II lies and picks up his Sonic Rifle. “Sorry bud, you don't really need this right now.”

Aliens are moving around everywhere. At least 2 Gill Men have been spotted along with two more of the spitting grey guys.

Kodos II steadies himself again and takes aim on the Gill Man who stunned everyone. His shot hits, killing the creature. Hopefully that type of threat is now over. Neon Chaos II moves over to support chesapeake, who is still watching the garage for that Gill Man he spotted earlier. RealDeal II comes around the nose of the ship and heads north, in an attempt to put pressure on the Gill Man who killed Poli and the others.

Through a window, TonyR spots one of the spitters. Not confident with his shot, he moves to get a better angle. While moving, he spots a Gill Man on the docks. With no line of fire on either, he decides to bide his time and wait for shots.

The Gill Man in the garage opens the door! chesapeake takes a wild shot and misses. He steadies himself, takes aim, and lays the second one center mass, just like at the range. It howls in pain, then falls to the ground dead. “I think we're finally clear down here, someone come take my position to run through the garage real quick. I have a med pack, I'll try to revive someone else.”

Acknowledged. I'm on it LT,” replies Neon Chaos II.

illinifan999 moves forward to attempt to locate the alien wiping them out on the north side. He spots it by a heavy lifter at takes aim. His shot finally finds the target this time, killing the Gill Man instantly.

TonyR decides he's not going to get a clear shot on the alien by the docks, so he takes out a grenade, primes it for immediate detonation, and heaves it with all his might. Amazingly, it lands at the alien's webbed feet. The beast spins and fires, and with his last action nails TonyR in the throat. He collapses to the ground, clutching his gaping neck, gurgling his last words.

Kodos II inches himself forward along the warehouse by the touchdown location. He spots a spitter moving, but can't get a clean shot. It clunks around the corner, and spits on his face. He writhes in pain as the acid eats through his face, killing him slowly and painfully.

chesapeake arrives at hoopsguy's peaceful body. He pulls out his medikit and starts pumping him with stim shots. After the second shot, hoopsguy groggily rolls over. “Thanks, LT, I thought I was a goner there for a bit.”

No problem hoops, grab your weapon, there's still a fight left.” chesapeake moves on to work on Travis II. He doesn't come to with three shots.

illinifan999 has been slowly working his way behind the spitter that got Kodos II. He finally gets in position, takes aim on the thing's back, and fire. The shot hits the building beside the creature. It spins and spits, showering illinifan999 with acidic goo. Its the last thing he ever sees.

hoopsguy collects himself mentally, then grabs his Sonic Rifle and heads down to cover chesapeake. RealDeal II clears the building to the north of the Triton, and loops back to catch up with everyone else.

chesapeake uses the last stim shot from the last medikit in a futile attempt to wake Travis II. He throws the kit down in disgust and moves to supports hoospguy.

More screams from the civilians. If we don't end this soon, its going to be a disaster. chesapeake lobs a grenade behind the building where they've been seeing a spitter, and where unknown to him, it killed illinifan999. The grenade goes off and chesapeake sees a body fall, but hears no scream. He'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Neon Chaos II enters the warehouse everyone has been going around. He spots a spitter just past the entryway and nails it with a well aimed shot. It dies with a scream. Through an open door on the far side of the building, Neon Chaos II spots another spitter. He moves to close the distance and get a shot. hoopsguy comes around the far corner of the warehouse and sees the spitter. Aiming carefully, he drops it in one shot and it dies with a scream as well.

RealDeal II sweeps along the north side of the grid, heading for an office building. Through the windows he spots yet another spitter. He moves to get a shot on it.

Without the spitter outside anymore, Neon Chaos II now begins to search the warehouse for more aliens. He doesn't get far before he spots a Gill Man on the catwalk above him. He has no shot, though, and dives to get out of the line of sight.

From far behind them, the troops hear the sound of a grenade exploding and the scream of an alien. Apparently the missed on in the tower behind them, but it tried to kill a human and instead got itself. Good thing too, because nobody was in position to take care of it.

hoopsguy moves towards the back of the warehouse to try and give support to Neon Chaos II. As he does, he spots a spitter upstairs through a window, right next to where Neon Chaos II had spotted the Gill Man. This just became a LOT harder. hoopsguy can only get off a quick shot through the window, but scores a hit on the spitter, killing it. Hopefully that will give Neon Chaos II the opportunity he needs to get a line on the Gill Man. However, right after he drops the spitter, the Gill Man runs to the window to see who did it. Not one to miss an opportunity like this, hoopsguy takes aim again, and once again fires true. The Gill Man drops to the metal floor, dead.

RealDeal II bursts into the office he had been slowly moving towards. As he does, he spots the spitter he saw earlier though the doorway on the other side of the building. He takes aim and fires, stopping the creature in its tracks. It screams in agony as it dies.

RealDeal II is about to drop another bad guy.

Neon Chaos II, I want you to go check out that explosion we heard earlier, make sure there aren't any more baddies back there,” orders chesapeake.

Yes sir,” replies Neon Chaos II, but thinks to himself “Gee how lucky am I? I get to go check out the explosion, alone. Yay”

chesapeake himself enters the dock area. There are lots of dark corners in here, and small buildings for aliens to hide in. RealDeal II starts sweeping the office building while trying to keep an eye outside as well. Everyone's searches turn up empty though. The last alien is dead.

10 living civilians were found in the area, and the bodies of five more were found in the buildings and streets. In all, 14 aliens were killed, with one live alien being recovered. Five X-COM agents lost their lives in the firefight. This was the most intense battle fought yet. Only 4 aquanauts were standing in the end.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-05-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #138
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

The horror...

...go ahead, send in v2.0 of PurdueBrad.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #139
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow - very intense battle. It really felt like the tide was turning in the middle of it with the aliens taking out several soldiers in a flurry. The higher bravery scores must have paid off to not have anyone panic at that point.

Quote:
hoopsguy can only get off a quick shot through the window, but scores a hit on the spitter, killing it. Hopefully that will give Neon Chaos II the opportunity he needs to get a line on the Gill Man. However, right after he drops the spitter, the Gill Man runs to the window to see who did it. Not one to miss an opportunity like this, hoopsguy takes aim again, and once again fires true. The Gill Man drops to the metal floor, dead.

If the aliens have a version of the Darwin awards I think he may be an early contender. Along with the one who blew himself up with a grenade.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #140
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Wow - very intense battle. It really felt like the tide was turning in the middle of it with the aliens taking out several soldiers in a flurry. The higher bravery scores must have paid off to not have anyone panic at that point.

If the aliens have a version of the Darwin awards I think he may be an early contender. Along with the one who blew himself up with a grenade.

To be honest, I expected panic when the knockout bomb hit us. If we had already lost a 3-4 at that point, it would have been over.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #141
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hell yes. A good 2nd try for Neon Chaos II!

I was all over the place, taking names and kicking serious butt.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #142
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Darn Poli. Enter Kerchee.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #143
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

soon we will be on 10s at this rate
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #144
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be honest, I expected panic when the knockout bomb hit us.

That's what I was sitting here expecting & was surprised when it went in another direction.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #145
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I'm willing to get my ass kicked, sign me up
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #146
kingfc22
Head Coach

Add me to this list.

Loved the X-Com dynasties of the past.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #147
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
From behind a guard shack, a Gill Man leans out and fires. Its not a sonic blast though. It sails over everyone's head and explodes harmlessly a few blocks away. It must be what hit the squad earlier.

This was the turning point, right here. If this thing hits where it looks like it was aimed, we're down to 4 guys, maybe less. The way the rest played out, it might have been chesapeake all by himself trying to revive guys. With his 60 bravery, he might not have cracked, either.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #148
Tasan
College Starter

Here's some info on our brave warriors:

Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #149
Icy
Pro Starter

Wow what a mission.
I guess my guy kept stunned the whole mission.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #150
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Getting that first kill is always the hardest.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote