Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

FM14 - The Cambridge Crusade

Cambridge, known for academia and a consistent, if unspectacular football squad, Cambridge United. Founded in 1912, the U's most recent hay day came between 1991 and 1993 when they spent 2 season in the Sky Bet Championship division.

Between 1993 and 2005 they bounced between League 1 and League 2, before settling in the Skrill Premier (Formerly Blue Square) division. It is time to lead a return to glory, with the goal being the Premier League.

The crusade will not be easy. The U's play at Abbey Stadium, which holds 8600 and I inherit a team with a maxed payroll budget, no transfer money, no parent club and a lack of players that fit my preferred system. I will be incorporating a 4-1-3-2 and a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond, both narrow and similar philosophies.

My first order is getting a parent club and I land Huddersfield from the Championship league. The deal will pay us over 45K annually and give me a channel to get some players on loan, especially midfield, where we are weak.

After the dust settles here is the final first team rosters, with the most likely first eleven in bold.

Cambridge, known for academia and a consistent, if unspectacular football squad, Cambridge United. Founded in 1912, the U's most recent hay day came between 1991 and 1993 when they spent 2 season in the Sky Bet Championship division.

Between 1993 and 2005 they bounced between League 1 and League 2, before settling in the Skrill Premier (Formerly Blue Square) division. It is time to lead a return to glory, with the goal being the Premier League.

The crusade will not be easy. The U's play at Abbey Stadium, which holds 8600 and I inherit a team with a maxed payroll budget, no transfer money, no parent club and a lack of players that fit my preferred system. I will be incorporating a 4-1-3-2 and a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond, both narrow and similar philosophies.

My first order is getting a parent club and I land Huddersfield from the Championship league. The deal will pay us over 45K annually and give me a channel to get some players on loan, especially midfield, where we are weak.

After the dust settles here is the final first team rosters, with the most likely first eleven in bold.

KeepersChris Maxwell - 23Alex Rose - 17
FullbacksTom Bonner - 25Kevin Roberts - 23Richard Tait - 23Harrison Dunk - 22 Greg Taylor - 23
Central DefendersIan Miller - 29Josh Coulson - 24Michael Spillane - 24Tom Champion - 27
MidfieldersLuke Dobie - 20Liam Hurst - 18Luke Berry - 21Nathan Arnold - 26Reece Gray - 20
ForwardsAndy Pugh - 24A Cunnington - 25Liam Hughes - 21Tom Elliott - 22D Sam-Yorke - 24

Maxwell, Dobie and Gray are loaners and we have some flexibility here. I don't have a true DMC, but Spillane and Champion can fill the role and both Taylor and Bonner can play all three back line positions. Hughes will get the first nod as Target man, but Cunnington will get plenty of time as well.

Friendlies - We fair well here, albeit against fairly weak competition.

Cambridge U21's - Draw 1-1
Gillingham - Draw 2-2
Bury Town - Win 2-0
Bishops Stortford - Win 3-1
St Neots - Win 2-0
St Ives - Win 2-1

On to the regular season, which opens 08/10/13, home to FC Halifax.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

08/10/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 0-0-0 (-) VS FC Halifax 0-0-0 (-)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 2415 Odds: Cambridge Even
GK - Maxwell Mid - Berry, Gray, Champion, Dobie
Def - Dunk, Miller, Bonner, Roberts ST - Hughes, Pugh
Summary MOM - Ben Smith Halifax
Cambridge 3 Hughes strikes a volley that Smith tips just wide
Cambridge 16 Dobie plays to Pugh in space, Pugh chips it top corner and scores!!! 1-0
Cambridge 20 Dunk sends in a lovely cross and Miller's header just skims the bar
Cambridge 55 Hughes takes a loose ball and volleys from close range, Smith turns it away
Halifax 75 Wilson back to Briggs who fires from 20 yards, Maxwell gathers it in
Cambridge 87 Hughes gets it danger and looks to clinch it, but hits the post!!
Halifax 88 Holsgrove swings a corner near post and Dunk manages to head it away
Cambridge 90+ Dunk goes down after a challenge from Pearson and can't continue. Injury
Final Cambridge - 1 FC Halifax - 0 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 16 7 Andy Pugh (1)
Target 7 3
Poss 56% 44%
Booked 1 1

8/11/2013
Whitehawk requests DR John Tait on loan. He is not in the first team, but I need him for depth, so no. Season ticket sales are announced and we sell 1400
I receive word that GK Ryan Maxwell, who played through an injury against Welling is out 3 weeks with a groin strain and DR Kevin Roberts will miss 5-8 days with a rib injury.
Bobby-Joe Taylor moves to Ebbsfleet on loan for 3 months. He is primarily a wide midfield at the moment, which does not fit our scheme. I have him set to train at MC while he is away.
We also loan out young AMC/ST Lamell Howell to affiliate Cambridge City. I also plan to use a 4-2-2 Diamond setup, which will suit him, but not until our current scheme is better.
8/12/2013
DMC Ryan Horne is also loaned to our affiliate in Cambridge City to get experience with the Lilywhites. He is only 17 and I need to see if he fits our long term plans.
8/13/2013
Yet another loan out as I try and sort out who might help us down the road. We send MC Luke Allen to AFC Telford for 3 months as he would not see first team action with us right now.
FB/WB Harrison Dunk is named to the Skrill Premier team of the week for his performance against Halifax
We bring in Huddersfield U21 Keeper Lloyd Allinson to fill in for Maxwell, which allows us to send 17 yr old Alex Rose to our U18 squad
Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

08/13/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-0-0 (5th) @ Welling 0-1-0 (16th)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 681 Favorite: Welling 5-4
GK - Allinson Mid - Berry, Gray, Champion, Dobie
Def - Dunk, Miller, Coulson, Taylor ST - Cunningham, Pugh
Summary MOM -
Welling 9 Pires goes above Taylor and sends a header on goal, Allinson saves it!
Cambridge 39 Loose ball in the box, Berry directs a header on target, Butcher tips it clear
Cambridge 40 Dunks corner goes to far post, Coulson gets on it, but Butcher saves it
Welling 42 Clarke takes a drop pass and volleys from 20 yards, Allinson with the save
Cambridge 45 Pugh plays to Berry's feet, Berry has a go and ruffles the net, goal!! 1-0
Welling 52 Fazarkerley with the corner, Coulson goes up, but scores an own goal! 1-1
Welling 68 Pires finds space and attacks a cross, it's on goal, but Allinson with the save
Cambridge 86 Spillane with a long free kick, Coulson heads it own goal….Just over the bar
Cambridge 90+ Pugh takes a lovely pass from Gray, into the box and he hits the post!!!
Final Cambridge - 1 Welling - 1 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 11 10 Berry (1)
Target 3 6
Poss 51% 49%
Booked 0 4

8/15/2013
Boreham Wood make a loan bid for Richard Tait, but withdraw it after I demand they pay his entire salary
Coach Kenny Wharton reports that our training on tactics is going well
Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Love the Cambridge clubs!

Will follow along - like the format too!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

08/17/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-1-0 (9th) @ Aldershot 0-1-1 (24th) (10 deducted)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 681 Favorite: Aldershot 5-4
GK - Allinson Mid - Berry, Gray, Spillane, Dobie
Def - Dunk, Miller, Coulson, Taylor ST - Hughes, Pugh
Summary MOM - Emmanuel Oyeleke Aldershot
Aldershot 9 Allinson turns away a volley from Young, but Oyeleke cleans it up, goal! 0-1
Cambridge 27 Harrison Dunk picks up a knock and again has to come off - Injury
Cambridge 36 Bonner clears straight to Young, who hits a header on goal, Allinson saves
Aldershot 45+ Oyeleke to Rowlands, who centers the ball and curls it in, pure accident! 0-2
Cambridge 67 Berry to Hughes, who creates space, fires a laser and scores!!! 1-2
Cambridge 77 Miller is taken down by and has to come off, we are down to 10! - Injury
Aldershot 82 Pressure as Hippolyte gets a header on goal that Allinson just tips wide
Aldershot 85 We are gassed, Mekki centers to Paterson who drives the stake in! 1-3
Final Cambridge - 1 Aldershot Town - 3 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 6 15 Hughes (1)
Target 2 9
Poss 46% 54%
Booked 1 0

Aldershot just dismantles us today and after using the 4-1-2-1-2 for two matches, thinking I will go back to the 4-1-3-2. Allinson is going to need Kevlar the way he was peppered today.
8/18/2013
More great injury news. DC Ian Miller is out 4-5 weeks with a fractured cheekbone and ST Tom Elliott will miss 8-11 days with a bruised shin, ugh!
8/20/2013
Injury updates: Elliott (Shin) should be OK for next match, Maxwell (Groin) 2 weeks, Miller (Cheekbone) 5 weeks.

I am on the lookout for some more midfield help, perhaps a better fit at DM, who can also play in the CM spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Love the Cambridge clubs!

Will follow along - like the format too!

Thanks NS, yours is one of the current crop of FM dynasties that got me back into it. I have always loved Cambridge too, I just wish City was playable in in this version.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Outstanding. Just a thought for all the FM 14 dynasty writers:

There is futbol in other countries beside England. No, really, it exists. Sometimes it's even quite interesting. Just a thought.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

There is futbol in other countries beside England. No, really, it exists. Sometimes it's even quite interesting. Just a thought.

I get a pass, because I am actually British though.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

08/24/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-1-1 (14th) VS Lincoln 2-0-1 (5th)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 2246 Favorite: Cambridge 5-4
GK - Allinson Mid - Spillane, Champion, Gray, Berry
Def - Dunk, Bonner, Coulson, Taylor ST - Hughes, Pugh
Summary MOM - Tom Bonner Cambridge
Lincoln 3 Spaces opens up for Tomlinson who uncorks a blast, Allinson just tips it wide
Lincoln 10 Tomlinson again, climbing above Bonner with a header on net, Allinson saves
Lincoln 69 Nicky Clee dances into the area, beats Allinson, but hits the post!!
Cambridge 74 Cunnington, on for Hughes, hits a scorching volley that Farman turns away
Lincoln 85 A giveaway deep, Wright carries it into the box and beats Allinson!! 0-1
Lincoln 90+ Tomlinson takes a pass from Wright and looks to bury it, but hits crossbar
Final Cambridge - 0 Lincoln - 1 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 7 11 None
Target 3 5
Poss 54% 46%
Booked 2 0
A totally lackluster match, which is evidence by Bonner winning MOM with a 7.0 rating. We generate only one clear chance the entire night and could have lost 3-0, but for the woodwork

8/25/2013
With only a 1 day turn around before our match with rival Luton, the press try and stir up some controversy. I address the negative questions in a calm manner, while expressing passion for the match
The media tries the same with Luton boss John Still, even twisting a comment of mine to sound like a dig, but he knows the game and plays it off nicely. Fucking media!!
8/26/2013
Transfer dealine is in one week. I currently have one loan request for the midfielder in the works.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Come on the U's!

(I follow them from the US, great to see them running rampant in the Skrill Premier this year)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, but do any other nations have six tiers of playable leagues?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No, but I don't think more tiers=better and some of them have more interesting structures/four tiers(which is more than enough IMO). YMMV.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

I have been leaning towards an APAC type dynasty, I will look at it later today...
Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, but I don't think more tiers=better and some of them have more interesting structures/four tiers(which is more than enough IMO). YMMV.

Well, I do have a nagging itch to dust off my copy of FM13. Any suggestions? I am a LLM type, but am open to going anywhere where there are a couple ladder rungs to climb.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Depends on what you are looking for. The following is from FM 14 since I don't have 13, so some things might be slightly different:

** I prefer Portugal and will eventually start a dynasty there. Three tiers, but the third one is just nuts. Enormous range of teams(from barely semi-pro to full professional), divided into 8 divisions of 10 teams each and only three get promoted each year so doing so is not an easy thing to achieve if you start anywhere but at one of the top clubs.

** Northern Ireland probably has the lowest overall level(3 tiers) of truly horrid teams to take(Killymoon, Chimney Corner are prob the worst). The best clubs in the Northern Ireland third tier are akin to the 7th(unplayable) tier in England. Truly crap level of play.

** Belgium, three Tiers. Bottom is Third Division A/B, season is divided into three 'periods', with the winner of each period making the promotion playoffs regardless of where they land in the final table. Some uniqueness there, though the top league is fairly crap(slightly worse than the Championship second tier in England).

** Italy. Four tiers, and the bottom is Serie C2 which is just insane. 18 teams each, and everybody qualifies for something. Bottom six are relegated, top eight are promoted, 9th through 12th make a playoff. Chaos reigns.

** Scotland. Four tiers, and you can't get relegated from the bottom(League 2). But what fun is that? :P

** Norway/Sweden/Spain/Turkey -- Four levels, bottom is similar to England with multiple divisions of teams for a lot of different potential opponents. Change of pace, but really if you're going to go in a structure like this, most of the time you might want to just go to England anyway.

I like to load a number of these nations so I can jump around if a reasonable job is available, more of a journeyman type of approach. Not that I've ever gotten far enough to actually done so.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
britrock88
Pro Starter

Awesome; thanks, Brian. I will be referring to this soon.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No problem, I hope it ends up being useful.

BYU: I will now officially stop hijacking your dynasty thread. Good luck .
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

OK, back to our regularly scheduled dynasty

08/26/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-1-2 (16th) @ Luton Town 4-0-0 (1st)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 2246 Favorite: Luton 5-4
GK - Allinson Mid - Dobie, Champion, Berry, Hurst
Def - Dunk, Bonner, Coulson, Tait ST - Hughes, Pugh
Summary MOM - Liam Hughes Cambridge
Cambridge 24 Berry bends a free kick in on goal from outside the box, Tyler saves and holds
Luton 27 Cullen exchanges passes with Whatley, finds a seam, fires and scores!! 0-1
Luton 38 Cullen gets on a ball from Winter, shoots and Allinson knocks it away
Cambridge 51 Hughes heads it to Pugh, who shoots off the bounce, Tyler turns it away
Cambridge 76 Hughes picks up a loose ball deep, shoots from distance and scores!!! 1-1
Luton 83 Whatley intercepts, shakes his man, blasts a shot top corner, Allinson saves
Final Cambridge - 1 Luton - 1 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 10 14 Hughes (1)
Target 4 4
Poss 52% 48%
Booked 1 0
A spirited effort against a fierce rival and with Luton playing so well, the draw is a good result. Possession has been good, just need to generate more clear chances. Still looking for MC help.

8/27/2013
I am notified that Congolese DMC Francis Zenaba's transfer has been delayed while we apply for a work permit. This would be a hugh pickup as he would be our only true DMC, fingers crossed.
ST Andy Pugh is out for 2-3 weeks after suffering an elbow injury against Luton, not what we needed!
8/29/2013
Zenaba's work permit is denied, we appeal, but we know how these cases end up.
Former Cambridge coach Steve Claridge singles out Harrison Dunk in an interview, claiming he is playing subpar soccer and needs to contribute more. There is a reason you are a former coach Steve. Shut up.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

08/31/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-2-2 (13th) VS Tamworth 2-1-2 (9th)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 2049 Favorite: Cambridge 5-4
GK - Allinson Mid - Spillane, Champion, Berry, Dobie
Def - Dunk, Bonner, Coulson, Roberts ST - Hughes, Elliott
Summary MOM - Mark Wright Tamworth
Tamworth 14 Gallagher in free, volleys from close range, but Allinson corrals it, great save!
Cambridge 25 Spillane lines up a free kick, blasts it top corner, past the keeper, but high
Tamworth 48 Wright crosses near post, Richard above Coulson and he heads it in! 0-1
Cambridge 65 Cunnington heads to Berry, Berry volleys and Belford makes the save
Tamworth 75 Played forward to Woolery, who hits a hopeful looking shot, Allinson saves it
Cambridge 82 Another free kick for Spillane and again it just skips over the bar
Cambridge 90+ Elliott jukes into space, cranks a wicked shot, and a brilliant save by Cameron
Final Cambridge - 0 Tamworth - 1 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 6 5 None
Target 3 3
Poss 51% 49%
Booked 1 0
I tweaked the tactics to not be so aggressive and the result still does not create enough chances. Our defense was solid, with the difference being a poor job on a set piece, frustrating! On a good note Keeper Chris Maxwell will be back for our next match.

9/1/2013
Training report - Michael Spillane and Luke Berry improve in tactics and Harrison Dunk improves his fitness. There is no negative to report.
The monthly awards are announced for August and not surprisingly we have nobody in the top 3 of any category. I am also notified that Francis Zenaba's work permit is cancelled after a failed appeal.
Not surprisingly the board thinks I should be performing better. The draw with Luton is a positive, but the Aldershot loss has them pissed. Financially we record a loss of $202,000 for the the month.
9/2/2013
Mansfield makes an 11th hour transfer bid for Harrison Dunk worth 40 thousand, which includes 26 K paid over 18 months. He has been a disappointment and we need cash, so we part ways
We secure a season long loan of DMC/MC Matt Spring from Wycombe. The 33 yr old Spring is on the downside, but he will give us some stability in the midfield
Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

09/07/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-2-3 (20th) @ Hyde 0-3-3 (23rd)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 463 Favorite: Hyde 4-5
GK - Maxwell Mid - Champion, Spring, Berry, Dobie
Def - Taylor, Bonner, Coulson, Roberts ST - Hughes, Elliott
Summary MOM - Connor Hughes Hyde (7.6)
Hyde 21 Connor Hughes squares it for Almond, the rightfooted shot, he scores!!! 0-1
Cambridge 44 Spring and Dobie play the 1-2, Spring shoots from range, Charles-Cook saves
Cambridge 48 Liam Hughes gets on a long ball, in alone and he blasts it in, goal!!! 1-1
Cambridge 50 Elliott disposed, but Hughes pounces and shoots, Charles-Cook with the save
Hyde 67 Tomsett to Watmore, who gets off a quick volley, Maxwell saves and holds
Hyde 73 Watmore takes it from Hughes and looks to score, Maxwell an amazing save!
Cambridge 83 Sam-Yorke delivers near post, Berry scores!!! But the flag was up, offsides
Cambridge 86 Sam-Yorke flicks it on, Berry goes up, heads it on goal, Charles-Cook saves
Hyde 87 Coulsen tries to clear, Byrne intercepts, fires, Maxwell with the save
Cambridge 88 Sam-Yorke fires a rocket from distance, beats the keeper, but off the bar!
Final Cambridge - 1 Hyde - 1 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 14 6 Hughes (3)
Target 4 4
Poss 43% 57%
Booked 0 0
The last 20 minutes were electric, but my revamping of our tactics to focus on countering kills our possesion. Back to the drawing board and back to attacking soccer. I will be scrapping the narrow mid-field and going with a 4-1-3-2 with wide midfielders, tempo and exploiting the flanks

9/8/2013
I hold a team meeting and state calmly I am looking for more and we will be more aggressive. Keeper Maxwell voices support and the team appears pleased, with no negative feedback.
I release Midfielder Liam Hurst on a free and the cost of 20K. Not exactly endearing to the board, but he is deadwood and I need to trim salaries.
Next I release Striker Delano Sam-Yorke, at a cost of 26K. He played fairly well against Hyde, but is another that won't fit into my new vision and is honestly our 4th striker at best.
9/10/2013
Forward Andy Pugh is back to full training after his Elbow injury, which will help immensely as he should perform better in an aggressive tactic, though Liam Hughes is the one I feel will be our best option
9/12/2013
I send under 21's MC Mitchell Austin to Tonbridge on a 3 month loan to get some first team experience, which hopefully speeds his development.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

09/13/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 1-3-3 (19th) VS Gateshead 3-2-2 (9th)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 1826 Favorite: Gateshead 4-6
GK - Maxwell Mid - Arnold, Champion, Berry, Dobie
Def - Taylor, Bonner, Coulson, Roberts ST - Hughes, Elliott
Summary MOM - Liam Hughes Cambridge (8.6)
Cambridge 13 Berry looks for Elliott, who walks in and shoots with Morch making a big save
Gateshead 25 Dwayne Mattis taken down by Liam Hughes and forced to come off - Injury
Gateshead 30 Brough in to O'Brien who shoots from a tough angle and gets it in!! 0-1
Cambridge 44 Hughes beats the trap, through on goal, he volleys and beats Morch! 1-1
Gateshead 49 Brodie plays it to his right, Boyes heads it on goal and Maxwell gathers it in
Gateshead 69 Magnay and Bonner go for the cross, Magnay wins and heads it inches wide
Cambridge 80 Dobie sends it near post, Hughes above Richards, on goal, Morch saves it!
Cambridge 87 Jackson tackles Hughes, Arnold on the loose ball, shoots and nets it!! 2-1
Cambridge 90+ Whittall takes Hughes down, penalty! Hughes steps up and buries it! 3-1
Final Cambridge - 3 Gateshead - 1 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 14 8 Hughes 2 (5)
Target 9 3 Arnold (1)
Poss 41% 59%
Booked 3 0
The shift to a wider, more aggressive tactic paid dividends on the scoresheet and shots on target, but possession took a nose dive. I will add keep possession instructions to give us a boost there, while hopefully not neutering our attack. Hughes as hoped, came alive today!
DC Ian Miller has resumed full training after his broken Cheek Bone is healed. Nathan Arnold, banished from 1st team football in my narrow tactic makes his debut and shows well with a goal and 7.5 rating
9/17/2013
Former player Harrison Dunk goes on record and criticizes Andy Pugh on Skysports.com. Kind of ironic since he was let go for being a complete failure.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

09/17/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 2-3-3 (15th) @ Alfreton 3-2-3 (11th)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 1826 Favorite: Alfreton 5-4
Def - Bonner, Miller, Coulson, Roberts ST - Hughes, Elliott
Summary MOM - Liam Hughes - Cambridge (9.2)
Alfreton 1 Off the kickoff, Law surges past Bonner and curls it on goal, Maxwell saves
Cambridge 10 Hughes skips past Benton, unleashes a blast that hits top corner, goal!!! 1-0
Alfreton 28 Akinde gets loose, heads a cross from Clayton past Maxwell, it's even! 1-1
Alfreton 38 Akinde free again, powers a header on goal, but Maxwell stretches to save it
Cambridge 50 Hughes crosses Fenton, uncorks a blistering shot that Stockdill saves
Cambridge 57 Dobie crosses to Berry, who volleys from a tight angle and scores!!! 2-1
Alfreton 60 Maxwell saves, but the ball bounces to Law who buries it with anger! 2-2
Cambridge 77 Gray gets past Facey, sends in a blast from 20 yards, Stockdill tips it wide
Cambridge 79 Elliott in from the right, Hughes above Minett and heads it past Stockdill! 3-2
Cambridge 84 Hughes with a splendid pass to Gray in space who applies the dagger! 4-2
Final Cambridge - 4 Alfreton - 2 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 12 14 Hughes 2 (7)
Target 8 7 Berry (2)
Poss 53% 47% Gray (1)
Booked 0 1
Only 2 games in with the new tactic, but another hopeful result as we increase possession and get quality chances against a very dangerous Alfreton 11. Hughes is on fire and now has 5 goals in the last 3 matches to become our main threat up front. Berry is also solid in his new role.

9/18/2013
Physio Greg Reid reports that DR Kevin Roberts suffered a bruised thigh against Alfreton. He could be out 2 weeks.
I sign U18 Ben Pring to a professional contract for $160 per week. I am hoping he can develop into a star down the road.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

09/21/2013 (SPL) Cambridge 3-3-3 (10th) VS Forest Green 3-3-3 (9th)
Record vs Opponent 0-0-0 Att: 1826 Favorite: Forest Green 5-4
Def - Bonner, Miller, Coulson, Spillane ST - Hughes, Pugh
Summary MOM - Matthew Barnes-Homer (9.6)
Forest Green 1 Wright wins a header over Arnold, over to Barnes-Homer and in, too easy 0-1
Forest Green 6 Barry fires from close range, Maxwell dives and tips it off the upright
Cambridge 13 Hughes gets on the cross from Spillane, it's on goal, but Russell saves it
Cambridge 25 Miller pushed by Barry and draws the penalty, Hughes steps up, shoots, save!
Cambridge 40 Champion shoots, deflected to Pugh who rips a shot and hits the crossbar!
Forest Green 51 Evans chips it forward, Barnes-Homer makes space and buries it! 0-2
Forest Green 66 Corner kick to an unmarked Barnes-Homer who nets the hat trick 0-3
Forest Green 67 Wright swings in a deep cross, Evans up to meet it and Maxwell saves it
Forest Green 72 Barnes-Homer breaks the trap and sprints in uncontested, an easy goal! 0-4
Final Cambridge - 0 Forest Green - 4 Cambridge Scoring
Shots 9 17 None
Target 4 11
Poss 43% 57%
Booked 2 1
Holy cow, my new promising tactic was exposed by a precision counter attack and Barnes-Homer just shredded our back line. Should probably look for some more speed there and will make sure to use my alternate tactic next time we play them. The missed penalty really took our wind!
Luke Berry is kind enough to inform the media that I ripped the team apart after the lackluster effort against Forest. The fans are pissed too.
9/23/2013
I am able to negotiate an acceptable deal for Hungarian Keeper David Grof. The 24 year old is better than either we have and with both current keepers loaners, getting him would be huge.