Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Ethical Debate - Selling of Organs

I would like to propose an ethical question for which I don't really know which side I'd fall on. It would seem obvious initially where you should side until you look at the complete picture.

My question is whether we should allow individuals to sell an organ if they are healthy enough and it does not endanger their immediate life. I'm talking a kidney, or part of their liver. Perhaps not a free market, but a set upon price that would be given to individuals willing to do it.

Now the initial thought is that this is barbaric and exploitative. But here is the alternative viewpoint. Allowing individuals to sell their organs will result in more lives being saved. We likely will not need both our kidneys, and people who have donated part of their livers can lead full lives. Sure an issue can arise down the road, but the number of lives saved by someone receiving that kidney or liver far exceeds it.

So would you be for it if the end result was more lives saved?

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Why not? The organs are theirs to sell if they want
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

This was discussed in superfreakanomics I think in a section on altruism? It swayed me, we should do it here.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

What would happen if a person sold their kidney, spent their money, and their one remaining kidney failed? Would Jude Law come busting down your door when you fell behind on the payments?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
SteveMax58
College Starter

Well, I think in its purest sense, why not? But there seem to be a lot of potential slippery slopes that I would worry about & maybe some degree of mortgaging your future could result.

For instance...should a (apparently) healthy 20 year old be able to sell half of their kidney? They may be the ideal candidate (from the recipient's perspective) but should that option really be available to them, given that they may need it 40 years from now? Its one thing to donate it to your sick brother who needs it to live....its quite another to sell it to a stranger (even if thats via a government entity) just so you can pay for college tuition or to buy a car. Its sort of the same reason prostitution isn't legal, isn't it? I think there is a name for this type of dilemma but it escapes me this early in the morning (maybe some more coffee will help).

I'd also wonder what side effects this ultimately bring s to society. Do we end up with a poor class that not only has no money, but also has missing organs now? I dont know how to precisely illustrate it...but it conjures up images of post-apocalyptic wastelands where poor people have scars where they sold their organs years ago while mega-wealthy people can simply buy their next organ to replace their old one due to excessive lifestyle. I know that would not be the intention of this...and you can certainly set restrictions to it...but I'm not sure it doesn't happen anyway(or eventually).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Prostitution is an interesting comparision. Similar in a lot of ways. We're allowed to do it on our own with consenting adults, but not if money is involved. I guess the primary difference would be that this could actually save lives.

I guess it is a tough decision as to whether a healthy 20 year old should be allowed to sell one of his kidneys. He may need it 40 years from now, but someone else needs it now. If there is another 20 year old who would die without it, you'd still be in a net positive in years saved. An interesting article here shows that donors have relatively the same mortality rate as non-donors. Since it is relatively new, we probably have to wait a bit for longer term rates, but in the short term, it seems pretty damn safe.

Study finds that kidney donation does not increase long-term death rates - TIME Healthland

The exploitave nature of it would be concerning. But is it anymore exploitative than the military? We do target lower income kids and entice them with opportunity. There is a risk of death involved. You're also giving these kids an opportunity to go to college or buy a home or whatever else that they may not have had. So is it really that much different? If someone determines the risk is worth being able to go to college and raise a family, why not? And while many join the military for patriotic reasons, I'm sure there are others who would donate for the reason of saving a life.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
cougarfreak
College Starter

My daughter was born with three kidneys. My nephew has one. I kinda figure she should hold onto that extra, just in case.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't see the fact that the 20 year old may need a kidney in 40 years as a discouraging factor. In the current system, yes, where needing a kidney can be a lifethreatening situation due to low organ donations. But if in 40 years you could depend on buying one from some other 20 year old, then there's less worry for you and for society as a whole it seems.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is a 20th century debate. The debate should be on why we aren't moving forward with the type of research that can lead to growing kidneys and other organs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This is a 20th century debate. The debate should be on why we aren't moving forward with the type of research that can lead to growing kidneys and other organs.

+1
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

So would you be for it if the end result was more lives saved?

Do we really need more lives saved? People bitch about overpopulation all the time, well for fucks sake part of the reason is because we keep extending out lives. Now don't get me wrong I want to live forever, but we keep cheating death more and more.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Do we really need more lives saved? People bitch about overpopulation all the time, well for fucks sake part of the reason is because we keep extending out lives. Now don't get me wrong I want to live forever, but we keep cheating death more and more.

Is this post serious?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is this post serious?

It's half serious.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well I think in terms of organ donation the majority of people who get organs have a lot of life left. It isn't like we are extending the lives of 85 year old people. My Mother in Law had a heart transplant and I for one am grateful for modern medicine and the person who was her organ donor that gave the ultimate gift.

So while you or others may bitch about overpopulation, every life extended is someones mother, daughter, or grandmother that will now get to spend precious time with a loved one.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Well I think in terms of organ donation the majority of people who get organs have a lot of life left. It isn't like we are extending the lives of 85 year old people. My Mother in Law had a heart transplant and I for one am grateful for modern medicine and the person who was her organ donor that gave the ultimate gift.

So while you or others may bitch about overpopulation, every life extended is someones mother, daughter, or grandmother that will now get to spend precious time with a loved one.

Settle down, I didn't even tell you which half was serious.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

This was discussed in SuperFreakonimics and I've always wondered why this was a big deal. It's your body part, do as you please with it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Settle down, I didn't even tell you which half was serious.
This is the funniest post I've ever seen.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Why not pump more money into finding a way to "artificially" create or develop organs...through cloning or some other scientific means?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, Pumpy, why not?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I stay away from organs as much as possible.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pumpy I've heard that you offered an organ to Kathy Griffin, and went as far as trying to cram it inside her yourself.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I'd also wonder what side effects this ultimately bring s to society. Do we end up with a poor class that not only has no money, but also has missing organs now? I dont know how to precisely illustrate it...but it conjures up images of post-apocalyptic wastelands where poor people have scars where they sold their organs years ago while mega-wealthy people can simply buy their next organ to replace their old one due to excessive lifestyle. I know that would not be the intention of this...and you can certainly set restrictions to it...but I'm not sure it doesn't happen anyway(or eventually).

Pretty much.

But then rich folks would argue that it's okay, because it implores those poor folks to take better care of their bodies so they can eventually sell their parts. That it's a "win-win."

I can't see any ethical way this would work. The current system stinks, too.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pumpy I've heard that you offered an organ to Kathy Griffin, and went as far as trying to cram it inside her yourself.

"She" said.. "No thanks, I have one of my own." ???
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Selling of organs opens up too much of a slippery slope and in so many different directions.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote