Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2023, 02:53 PM   #26101
molson
General Manager

I've been an appellate lawyer for about 15 years and I don't really understand what other lawyers do (aside from trial lawyers).

But, also, I did somehow end up in the exact right type of job and I just wouldn't be very good at most other types of legal jobs.

I'm basically still doing what I did in law school. Research, write stuff, research, write stuff, argue once in a while, more research and writing stuff.

If my phone rings - 99% of the time it's a timeshare company that got a hold of my number somehow. Or it's someone who found an opinion or brief with my name on it and mistakenly believes I'm an expert in some field and wants me to do a training on it.

Last edited by molson : 11-17-2023 at 02:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:58 PM   #26102
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Have you ever had the thought that you went into the exact right type of job because you just wouldn't be good at certain other types of jobs?

Actually no. In my situation, it was just luck of the draw. I had computer science and business degrees and applied for all the relevant newspaper/magazine job ads (remember those?). I applied for management trainee stuff, even tried to get into brokerage firm selling stocks/bonds, but programming job came up first.

It was programming for application X. My second programming job 3 years later was for a completely different application Y. And Y is pretty much what I did rest of my career. There was no career master plan, it was what I could get because, as a H1B, I didn't have the luxury of time or being picky.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:21 PM   #26103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My strengths lie in transactional work where legal strategies can be perfected and implemented over time, and I enjoy the minutia of regulatory details and research.

So you're essentially my child's opposite number lol.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:48 AM   #26104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Snoop Dogg says hes giving up smoking weed | CNN

I can't believe I'm reading those words.

What's next? Israel and Hamas making peace? Donald Trump telling the truth?

Isn’t he just moving to edibles/vapes though? Sounds like he may have some health issue
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:08 PM   #26105
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So I wear a suit at most once a year, maybe even once every other year.

Do you ever feel stop feeling like you're a kid wearing your dad's suit? I'm old now, but I still feel like I'm playing dress up. But I see other guys around my age and they seem like they're totally normal on a suit
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 01:33 PM   #26106
Kodos
Resident Alien

I never feel at home in a suit.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #26107
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I never get wear a suit anymore, but I love wearing one. I'm weird, I know.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:36 PM   #26108
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Do birthday suits count?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #26109
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I never get wear a suit anymore, but I love wearing one. I'm weird, I know.

I am the guy who will be overdressed at certain events just so I can wear a suit on a semi regular basis. So yes, when we sit down to Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, I will be suited and booted.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:20 PM   #26110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Suits are for funerals.

That's pretty much the only thing that justifies me being in one at this point in my life.

And we're getting close to MY funeral being the only justification.
Old 11-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #26111
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One of my favorite things on Facebook are NBA legend fan pages. If you are a Jordan guy, you have to prove that Kobe and LeBron totally suck. And if you are a LeBron guy, you have to put out statistics proving that Michael Jordan was actually no better than John Starks.

The stakes are so low, and the arguments are so ludicrously over-the-top. I really can’t get enough of it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #26112
jcard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So I wear a suit at most once a year, maybe even once every other year.

Do you ever feel stop feeling like you're a kid wearing your dad's suit? I'm old now, but I still feel like I'm playing dress up. But I see other guys around my age and they seem like they're totally normal on a suit

It’s all about the tie. What was “look nice” instantly becomes “GROWN-UP CLOTHES!!!” the moment you put on (or, more likely, attempt to put on) a tie.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #26113
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcard View Post
It’s all about the tie. What was “look nice” instantly becomes “GROWN-UP CLOTHES!!!” the moment you put on (or, more likely, attempt to put on) a tie.

Do a dimple on the tie!

Old 11-20-2023, 01:32 PM   #26114
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Have you ever had the thought that you went into the exact right type of job because you just wouldn't be good at certain other types of jobs?

I need to be in a courtroom. I can do transactional or litigation type work but I am not going to be happy. But put me in front of a jury and I can do it 52 weeks a year.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #26115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

79 miles from my house to Hartsfield ... I feel like I live in the ass end of nowhere sometimes.

Not actually THAT much farther than I've lived from the airport for all but about 2-3 years of my life ... but it FEELS farther.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #26116
miami_fan
Coordinator

The reaction to the Tommy Devito living with his parents story even a week later tells me a lot of you don't like that your adult kids are still living at home.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-20-2023, 07:58 PM   #26117
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh, and a lot of your adult kids don't like that you are not more like Tommy's parents.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:20 PM   #26118
jcard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Do a dimple on the tie!

Man, I’m happy if I end up with the bottom of my tie anywhere between my kneecaps and sternum. I am the Eric Gregg of the sTrIkE zone.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:02 AM   #26119
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Man, I’m happy if I end up with the bottom of my tie anywhere between my kneecaps and sternum. I am the Eric Gregg of the sTrIkE zone.

I always dimpled my tie when I wore one. Unfortunately, the dimple would never "stay in place". Never figured out the trick.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:11 AM   #26120
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I always dimpled my tie when I wore one. Unfortunately, the dimple would never "stay in place" for the day. Never figured out the trick.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:53 AM   #26121
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I always dimpled my tie when I wore one. Unfortunately, the dimple would never "stay in place" for the day. Never figured out the trick.

Having wardrobe fix it between takes.

Also, the tie doesn't make me feel grownup, I actually enjoy wearing a tie. But I put on that suit coat and I instantly feel wrong. Feels restricting. I just want to put on a tie, roll up my sleeves, and boogie.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:27 AM   #26122
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I hate wearing a tie. I don't mind throwing a coat on for certain situations, but no tie. Fortunately, while our parent company is old school suit-and-tie, our company has its own business casual policy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:28 AM   #26123
cuervo72
Head Coach

I like ties, just not really having occasions where I need to wear one.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:29 AM   #26124
cuervo72
Head Coach

Honestly I need to go into the office for the first time in ages in the near future, and my thought is "shit -- pants".
Old 11-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #26125
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Having wardrobe fix it between takes.

Also, the tie doesn't make me feel grownup, I actually enjoy wearing a tie. But I put on that suit coat and I instantly feel wrong. Feels restricting. I just want to put on a tie, roll up my sleeves, and boogie.

If it helps, I'm 52 years old and supervise a team of programmers and looked at myself in the bathroom mirror at work the other day and realized that I should try to at least tuck in my shirt so it looks like I'm a professional.

I have the same reaction to wearing a suit that you do. I don't even know if I could think straight as a programmer if I had on a tie.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:33 PM   #26126
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes and no. I’m comfortable in writing and teaching jobs with qualifiers. Writing I’m amazing at, but the 9-5 of corporate writing caused a full-fledged panic attack shortly after my mom died. Realized the monotony and obscurity was literally killing me and if I didn’t get out, I’d probably be dead within a year or two.

Teaching, much as Mom predicted years ago, I function best at the college level or a small, private, academically elite institution where tuition is more than a lot of people make in a year. While I sometimes dream of a position of less responsibility and grading, the social networks that get forged in teaching and that type of school’s understanding that neurodivergence is going to be much higher than most faculty populations translate into me planning on staying long-term now that I’ve finally landed in that situation. Public school? Private religious school? Done both. Neither one fit me nearly as well as this.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 07:59 PM   #26127
thesloppy
Pro Starter

An elevator at my work broke about 45 minutes ago and I am still stuck inside of it.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:05 PM   #26128
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
An elevator at my work broke about 45 minutes ago and I am still stuck inside of it.

Happened to me a couple times.

Remember, if it starts to free-fall, lie flat on the floor

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-21-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:48 PM   #26129
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am freeeeee!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:05 PM   #26130
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I am freeeeee!

Old 11-21-2023, 11:05 PM   #26131
molson
General Manager

There's an elevator at work people claim gets stuck sometimes, but I don't avoid it. Honestly it'd be nice to have the break to get stuck for a while. Plus I've always wanted to piss in an elevator without repercussions. I mean who wouldn't.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:08 PM   #26132
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's an elevator at work people claim gets stuck sometimes, but I don't avoid it. Honestly it'd be nice to have the break to get stuck for a while. Plus I've always wanted to piss in an elevator without repercussions. I mean who wouldn't.

don't you want some love in an elevator too?
Old 11-21-2023, 11:52 PM   #26133
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe it’s like a corollary to that but the other day I saw some thing about a cable car getting stuck for like 15 hours. At that point you know people have to go number two. So I can only imagine how that cable car smelled.

The elevator fight scene in Drive was pretty awesome.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:35 AM   #26134
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Maybe it’s like a corollary to that but the other day I saw some thing about a cable car getting stuck for like 15 hours. At that point you know people have to go number two. So I can only imagine how that cable car smelled.

The elevator fight scene in Drive was pretty awesome.

I remember this guy getting stuck in an elevator for 41 hours (sped up surveillance video of it with counting down clock). He was interviewed on news shows afterwards. If I recall, he pissed but did not shit. Maybe your body can hold out a while in less than ideal circumstances.

Footage of a Man Who Spent 41 Hours Trapped in an Elevator - YouTube

Last edited by molson : 11-22-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:31 AM   #26135
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I remember this guy getting stuck in an elevator for 41 hours (sped up surveillance video of it with counting down clock). He was interviewed on news shows afterwards. If I recall, he pissed but did not shit. Maybe your body can hold out a while in less than idea circumstances.

Footage of a Man Who Spent 41 Hours Trapped in an Elevator - YouTube
Heck, my body will go three days when I'm on a trip. I used to not be this way, but now I hardly ever get comfortable enough in a hotel to go unless I'm there more than three days.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 04:45 AM   #26136
jcard
n00b

People who leave their shopping carts in the parking spots instead of walking the 20 feet required to reach one of the corrals are … … on my “Naughty” list.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:07 AM   #26137
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Heck, my body will go three days when I'm on a trip. I used to not be this way, but now I hardly ever get comfortable enough in a hotel to go unless I'm there more than three days.

Need to eat more fiber.

I'm irregular when I go backpacking. It's because of the dehydrated foods that I eat. I can't wait to get into a town where I can get a nice cobb salad.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:12 PM   #26138
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Been a rough fall for Reds, Bucks, Bengals fans.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:03 PM   #26139
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My wife just watched a whole ass movie on Netflix and didn't remember watching it before. I told her before it started but she didn't believe me.

It was a crappy Hallmark-ish movie. I even wrote down the plot and various things that happened and showed her after. She still said she had no recollection.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:41 PM   #26140
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Now she's watching a movie where a guy pretends to be a ranch hand on behalf of a soulless corporation to convince them to send their failing ranch.

He lies about who he is and sleeps with the eldest daughter... I'm pretty sure that's rape and I don't know how you come back from that.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 11-26-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:44 PM   #26141
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
My wife just watched a whole ass movie on Netflix and didn't remember watching it before. I told her before it started but she didn't believe me.

It was a crappy Hallmark-ish movie. I even wrote down the plot and various things that happened and showed her after. She still said she had no recollection.

My wife will do this with the Holiday movies. I tend to remember them because they're memorably bad.

BTW, Christmas Inheritance on Netflix is god awful. My wife loves those bad holiday movies, but she even turned that one off.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #26142
Ksyrup

Oldie but goodie

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #26143
Edward64
Head Coach

In FOFC, and in Reddit, and in Word etc. I find myself accepting the punctuation recommendations all the time nowadays. Even though I don't necessarily agree with the suggestion. But there are some recommendations that are clearly correct. More often than not.

The biggest gap is "contextual grammar and spelling". Looking forward to the day.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #26144
miami_fan
Coordinator

Didn't we have a Education thread? Here is a teaser for an article.

Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, La. (AP) — Arliya Martin accepted her high school diploma with relief and gratitude.

It was her ticket to better-paying work, she felt, after getting kicked out of high school and toiling for eight years at factory jobs to support her children.

“This is a new path for me to get on with my life,” she said. But Martin didn’t take any classes or pass any tests to receive her degree. She got it in July from a school where students can get a high school diploma for $465.

Yes you want to know more.

Homeschool in Louisiana: Diploma, graduation sold at nonpublic school | AP News
Old 11-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #26145
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Didn't we have a Education thread? Here is a teaser for an article.

Yes you want to know more.

Homeschool in Louisiana: Diploma, graduation sold at nonpublic school | AP News

"Khyli"
Old 11-28-2023, 12:24 PM   #26146
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also:

“Sometimes it takes two or three times to explain to them that they are free,” Sibley Morrison said. “Their parents are in charge of them, not the state.”

/looks up "free" vis-a-vis "in charge of them"
Old 11-28-2023, 04:05 PM   #26147
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm a little annoyed that the kids met the UPS man today as they were getting off the bus and he was dropping off their new PS5 in its original packaging on the front porch. Made even more awkward since I was in the driveway waiting on them (it's a very long driveway) and the driver made a point to yell that he just dropped off a PS5.

So now they know what they are getting for Christmas. I decided to contact Best Buy asking why they would ship it in original packaging especially at Christmas time and why they wouldn't have something on the listing stating that the item will ship that way(I just double checked by going all the way through the checkout process and getting right to the point finishing it and nothing is there.) I don't order hardly anything from Best Buy and I guess I shouldn't have this time either, but on Amazon they tell you if it will ship that way and give you options to avoid it.

The guy I contacted just said "All of our items will always ship in their original packaging." Again, why not have this appear somewhere during checkout or on the listing? And why would you even want to ship a PS5 without requiring a signature or anything and just drop it off on a porch with it saying what it is all over it. I'm assuming if it was stolen because of that they would find a reason to tell me how it was my fault.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:27 PM   #26148
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"Khyli"

I have really taken to Reddit in the past month. One of my favorite subreddits is Tragedeigh, dedicated to calling out tortured/ridiculous alternative spellings of names and made-up names. It's hilarious.

Also, Whatismycookiecutter is so popular one of the national news orgs did an article about it.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:47 PM   #26149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

3rd deer hit in bit more than a year. It sucks driving home at 3am
Old 11-28-2023, 10:24 PM   #26150
jcard
n00b

Quote:
I have really taken to Reddit in the past month. One of my favorite subreddits is Tragedeigh, dedicated to calling out tortured/ridiculous alternative spellings of names and made-up names. It's hilarious.

Also, Whatismycookiecutter is so popular one of the national news orgs did an article about it.

Transaction news junkie. Came upon the following name. I get what they (his parents) did, but I can only guess at why:

Sicnarf Loopstok Stats, Fantasy & News | MiLB.com