Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #351
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Hahaha what? Hawks have been listening on Collins for years now and needed to cut payroll after the Murray deal. Even after the Huerter deal they like Okungwu a ton (rightfully IMO) and don't think they need to pay >$40m to Collins & Capela (again probably correct.) Even the Lakers brain trust wouldn't be insane enough to ask for KAT for John Collins!

Except suddenly they think (right or wrong) that Collins + 1 other big might equal Durant ... and it ain't impossible at this point

And note: I didn't say they'd propose it. I said you weren't getting Collins instead of Gobert. Hawks didn't want picks
Old 07-02-2022, 09:30 PM   #352
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Some of these NBA championship odds are pure shit.

Suns +600(fair enough)
Warriors +620(would be my fav) (+450)
Bucks +640(sure)
Clippers +650 (utter BS, why?) (+2500)
Heat +1000(fair)
Lakers +1220(Utter BS like the Clippers line) )+2750)
76ers +1280(not seeing it, bad chemisty) (+2300)
Nuggets +2080(Return to healthy of Murray these odds make sense)
Grizzlies +2200 (Rising team with youth I would have them (+1500)
Mavs +2180 (The one man show losing their #2 guy, (+4000)
Nets (+3460) Worse chemisty than the 76ers(+7500)
Timberwolves (+4000) Like the Griz, up and coming team, 4 potential all stars(+2500)
Pelicans(+4300) I think this is low as well, Pelicans should be on a nice upward trajectory(+3000)
Bulls (+4620) Seems ok I guess, I think their odds might be a bit low, good talent on this team(+3500)
Hawks(+4500) Odds are too low, they match the Heat in talent(+1800)

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-02-2022 at 09:34 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Some of these NBA championship odds are pure shit.

Suns +600(fair enough)
Warriors +620(would be my fav)
Bucks +640(sure)
Clippers +650 (utter BS, why?)
Heat +1000(fair)
Lakers +1220(Utter BS like the Clippers line)
76ers +1280(not seeing it, bad chemisty)
Nuggets +2080(Return to healthy of Murray these odds make sense)
Grizzlies +2200 (Rising team with youth I would have them +1500
Mavs +2180 (The one man show losing their #2 guy, (+4000)
Nets (+3460) Worse chemisty than the 76ers(+7500)
Timberwolves (+4000) Like the Griz, up and coming team, 4 potential all stars
Pelicans(+4300) I think this is low as well, Pelicans should be on a nice upward trajectory
Bulls (+4620) Seems ok I guess, I think their odds might be a bit high, good talent on this team
Hawks(+4500) Odds are too low, they match the Heat in talent

Lakers & Clippers are currently the 2nd & 3rd most bet on teams. Suns have 3rd most dollars, just in larger bets.

Can't set the LA teams higher odds when they're already drawing 20'ish percent of the handle
Old 07-02-2022, 09:41 PM   #354
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Lakers & Clippers are currently the 2nd & 3rd most bet on teams. Suns have 3rd most dollars, just in larger bets.

Can't set the LA teams higher odds when they're already drawing 20'ish percent of the handle

That is interesting. I can see people betting on the Lakers and Lebron but the Clippers really surprises me. A huge trade must be in the works.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:46 PM   #355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is interesting. I can see people betting on the Lakers and Lebron but the Clippers really surprises me. A huge trade must be in the works.

At one point, IIRC, there was actually more money on the Lakers than on GS
Old 07-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #356
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Re the Clippers people like the rest of the roster, they presumably have Kawhi and PG coming back healthy, and they're an LA team that always gets a bump in early NBA odds from LA fans going to Vegas.
Quote:
Except suddenly they think (right or wrong) that Collins + 1 other big might equal Durant ... and it ain't impossible at this point

And note: I didn't say they'd propose it. I said you weren't getting Collins instead of Gobert. Hawks didn't want picks
Hawks took a 1st and two cheaper guys to shed some salary in the Huerter trade. They can gas up the fanbase like they're Danny Ainge but I'd bet they'd be willing to take a cheap guy like Jaden McDaniels and a 1st for Collins to help partially replenish what they sent out in the Murray deal. Okongwu is good and they want to put off paying the luxury tax. If you'd rather I say Myles Turner instead of John Collins, sure, whatever, but there are "rim protectors" available for much cheaper than the Wolves paid for Gobert. (Albeit ones who aren't currently quite as good - though I think the 4/$170 Gobert is owed is also a factor, as that also reduces flexibility.)

If you or they really think John Collins + 1 other big for Durant isn't impossible at this point idk what to say. It's absolutely a young star or a boatload of potentially high value picks at this point as a base, and John Collins is nowhere near that level (and the Hawks sent most of their pick capital to SA).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:39 PM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Re the Clippers people like the rest of the roster, they presumably have Kawhi and PG coming back healthy, and they're an LA team that always gets a bump in early NBA odds from LA fans going to Vegas.

Hawks took a 1st and two cheaper guys to shed some salary in the Huerter trade. They can gas up the fanbase like they're Danny Ainge but I'd bet they'd be willing to take a cheap guy like Jaden McDaniels and a 1st for Collins to help partially replenish what they sent out in the Murray deal. Okongwu is good and they want to put off paying the luxury tax. If you'd rather I say Myles Turner instead of John Collins, sure, whatever, but there are "rim protectors" available for much cheaper than the Wolves paid for Gobert. (Albeit ones who aren't currently quite as good - though I think the 4/$170 Gobert is owed is also a factor, as that also reduces flexibility.)

If you or they really think John Collins + 1 other big for Durant isn't impossible at this point idk what to say. It's absolutely a young star or a boatload of potentially high value picks at this point as a base, and John Collins is nowhere near that level (and the Hawks sent most of their pick capital to SA).

I didn't say _I_ entirely believed it, but it seems to have some traction. I think the Murray deal included 1-2 picks too many to leave them with enough to make the Durant thing work BUT I have seen people (non-Atlanta writers) who think Collins + Capela/Okongwu and whatever picks they can find might end up being the most palatable deal available in the end.

Hell, I'm on the record saying I suspected Durant waited to officially demand a deal until after Atlanta dealt themselves out of contention (with the Murray deal). But that it's still getting mentioned as a destination has me wondering
Old 07-02-2022, 11:33 PM   #358
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't say _I_ entirely believed it, but it seems to have some traction. I think the Murray deal included 1-2 picks too many to leave them with enough to make the Durant thing work BUT I have seen people (non-Atlanta writers) who think Collins + Capela/Okongwu and whatever picks they can find might end up being the most palatable deal available in the end.

Hell, I'm on the record saying I suspected Durant waited to officially demand a deal until after Atlanta dealt themselves out of contention (with the Murray deal). But that it's still getting mentioned as a destination has me wondering
I think Toronto makes the most sense? Even if they aren't willing to include Barnes they could do OG & Gary Trent + they have all their picks? Memphis would also be a huge possibility if they could keep JJJ out of it - Bane, Zaiare Williams & Steven Adams + they're actually +1 in future 1st's? Pels? Utah if they will settle for just picks? I don't think the Celtics want to do a Jaylen Brown + a pick or two (and Derrick White for $$$ reasons) for him deal, though I'd be very intrigued. Suns are still very much an option if it's like Bridges + Cam Johnson as a base. Idk I just don't see it getting down to the level John Collins is a headliner without having at least a Gobert level pick haul in return and the Hawks simply don't have that option anymore. We'll see though, so many of these teams that hold out for exorbitant packages for disgruntled superstars seem to end up getting them in the end, but eventually one won't get what they want.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:33 AM   #359
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Hahaha what? Hawks have been listening on Collins for years now and needed to cut payroll after the Murray deal. Even after the Huerter deal they like Okungwu a ton (rightfully IMO) and don't think they need to pay >$40m to Collins & Capela (again probably correct.) Even the Lakers brain trust wouldn't be insane enough to ask for KAT for John Collins!
They really don't have to. They have plenty of options. If they were just going to dump Collins, they have had many opportunities. They are willing to move Collins for an improvement for the team now, not just move salary.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #360
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Huerter was going to be the third SG next season. He did need to be traded for salary because he had little value court-wise for the money. Collins is still a solid starter, and one of the best pick and roll guys in the NBA. They will not dump him unless it is to improve the product on the court.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:48 AM   #361
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it does vault them into the top tier. Ant is is going to be elite and the addition of Gobert helps cover up KATs weakness. Wolves have been accumulating 1st's for years and hasnt landed them a playoff series win in almost 20 years.

Does it?

The Wolves were 7th in the conference behind the Suns, Grizzlies, Warriors, Mavs, Jazz and Nuggets. Obviously, the Jazz are going to drop out but are the Wolves better than those other teams? Are we sure they are better than the slightly over hyped Clippers who finished four games behind them without a healthy Kawhi or Paul George?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #362
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Washington gave Beal 5/$251 plus a full NTC and a 15% trade kicker. It's the Rudy Gobert trade of FA re-signings!
Old 07-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #363
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Washington gave Beal 5/$251 plus a full NTC and a 15% trade kicker. It's the Rudy Gobert trade of FA re-signings!

Gilbert Arenas, John Wall, Bradley Beal...

I am noticing a pattern with this franchise.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A lot of NBA franchises seem to be their own worst enemy.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:46 PM   #365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just checked and the Wolves still have Jaden McDaniels so it’s a major win for them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #366
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 07-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #367
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Hate to give Harden appreciation especially when he's still making $100 million, but sometimes “Normal people keep the world going, but those who dare to be different lead us into tomorrow." so credit where it's due.

Jimmy Butler was also predictably excited for PJ Tucker joining the 76ers (though I think he was joking and only hates the organization not PJ & Joel).
Old 07-09-2022, 02:16 AM   #368
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There’s no fkn way I’m paying lilliard 42.5/45.6/48.8/approx 58/approx 63

It doesn’t matter how much the salary cap is, it’s just scary to give a guy that’s going to be 32-36 that much money.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #369
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know.

The Warriors have paid and will pay Steph $45.8, $48.0, $51.9, $55.6, $59.6 to go from age 33 to 38 based on the extension he signed last year. I am not saying Dame is Steph on the court. But it appears he is him as a franchise icon.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:56 PM   #370
miami_fan
Coordinator

So um am I the only one who thinks Donovan Mitchell overrated?
Old 07-13-2022, 10:01 PM   #371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So um am I the only one who thinks Donovan Mitchell overrated?

It's probably a short list, yeah.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:25 AM   #372
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think that Gobert trade was so ridiculous that it’s going to be hard to make deals for obviously better players like Mitchell or Durant.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:18 AM   #373
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think a lot depends on whether Mitchell will try harder on defense under a guy like Thibs, without Rudy behind him, and without quite as much of an offensive load. (And whether you want to kind of build your franchise around a guy with questionable effort on that end.) He has a lot of Westbrook to his game...

Either way I see him going to New York for like 5 1st's and Quickley, but who knows maybe they're desperate enough to include RJ Barrett. I don't see any team (mainly Toronto) caving on Durant and meeting the Nets asking price, and frankly I'm not sure Brooklyn wants to or if they just want to run it back unless he starts being unprofessional as we near the start of the season.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #374
miami_fan
Coordinator

Effort is definitely an issue but how much better is the 6'1" Mitchell going to get defensively?
Old 07-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #375
BishopMVP
Coordinator

On/off defensive +/- by the year - -3.6, -0.5, +1.9, +5.5, +4.6. He had a rep as a good defender in college, clearly tried harder earlier in his career, and it's not like he had defensive savants show up to back him up - the Jazz lineups with 34y/o Mike Conley paired with Jordan Clarkson in the backcourt were light years better.

Pairing him with Brunson and making Thibs coach them would be glorious and classic Knicks though, so hopefully we can see that.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #376
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pairing him with Brunson and making Thibs coach them would be glorious and classic Knicks though, so hopefully we can see that.

This is why I'll never get why every major free agent or player who wants to be traded has a list of teams that includes "Title favorite A, Title favorite B, Contender C, Contender D, and the Knicks". Until they show otherwise, they're still the Knicks.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #377
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah the Knicks get hyped like they’re the Yankees or Giants when they’re clearly the Jets or Mets.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #378
miami_fan
Coordinator

Phoenix Suns' Deandre Ayton signing 4-year, $133M maximum contract offer sheet with Indiana Pacers, agents say

It has been a while since we have seen one of these. I am curious if the Pacers put a poison pill in the deal to force the Suns' hand. Either way, my guess is the Suns won't match.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #379
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This is why I'll never get why every major free agent or player who wants to be traded has a list of teams that includes "Title favorite A, Title favorite B, Contender C, Contender D, and the Knicks". Until they show otherwise, they're still the Knicks.

SI
How many actually want to go there, how many just want to use the Knicks as leverage, and how many are really the Knicks and their fans pretending they're in the mix? But New York itself is a draw - Carmelo's wife wanted to live there, Jalen Brunson is more or less from the area, Kemba was too (and we can laugh at that FA signing, but it was considered a win a year ago!)

Allegedly Ayton hasn't signed the offer sheet yet, so maybe they're still pushing for an S&T involving Turner? Idk, I hope he just signs at this point, Suns have been ridiculous this whole process.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #380
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There’s no real poison pills left. Other than maybe payment structures.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:02 PM   #381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ayton back on the Suns. Can't be traded til like 3 months into the Season and not for a year without his consent. I think he can't get traded to the Pacers for a year also.

Not sure what Indy would even want to do going forward but I have some thoughts

My wild projected trade would be

Ind-Westbrook, Picks from LAL
Lakers-Kyrie, Miles Turner
Nets-Giant trade exception for Kyrie's entire salary that can be rolled over into summer 2023 if needed. Minor Draft considerations.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

Now that Deandre Ayton has resigned, what was the Suns' strategy re: his negotiations? Someone was always going to try to sign him to the max deal so it can't be the money. Did they go through all this because they did not want to sign him to the extra year?
Old 07-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #383
rjolley
College Starter

Probably trying to do a sign and trade, didn't get any offers they liked, and decided to match any offers for him. He may be on the trading block come the deadline.

Last edited by rjolley : 07-15-2022 at 02:54 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #384
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Suns aren’t run very smart is the easy answer
Old 07-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #385
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also it’s not like a super big deal, but Indianapolis had to wave and stretch three guys just to make this offer that got immediately matched.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #386
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Probably trying to do a sign and trade, didn't get any offers they liked, and decided to match any offers for him. He may be on the trading block come the deadline.

I don't even mean this summer. I am talking about when the Suns did not offer the max right off the bat when he was eligible coming off the Finals appearance. It's plug and play. 5 year max deal for Ayton. I think that has to go into a team's thinking from the time they decided to draft a player especially in that top five range. If a team does not think a player that they drafted in the top five is not worthy of that 5 year max deal when the time comes, I think they should move him on sooner rather than later. I also expect him to be on the trading block when eligible.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:37 PM   #387
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I don't even mean this summer. I am talking about when the Suns did not offer the max right off the bat when he was eligible coming off the Finals appearance. It's plug and play. 5 year max deal for Ayton. I think that has to go into a team's thinking from the time they decided to draft a player especially in that top five range. If a team does not think a player that they drafted in the top five is not worthy of that 5 year max deal when the time comes, I think they should move him on sooner rather than later. I also expect him to be on the trading block when eligible.

I agree, it was odd that they were so reluctant to sign him but matched the offer so quickly. Why not move him earlier to maximize his value? A trade after his good showing on the run to the Finals would've been best but when you have a legit shot at returning to the Finals, was there a move to shake up the roster that would've enhanced their chances?

Last edited by rjolley : 07-15-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:28 AM   #388
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Conspiracy hat - what if the Suns had been shitting on him privately and now publicly for months to try and depress his value in the market?

Ok I doubt that, and I can see why they didn't want one guaranteed year of Myles Turner plus a couple picks as the return, but they sure as hell don't want him at $33 million a year and I don't know how much trade value he has at that number either (until the cap spikes). Idk, Rudy got a ton back in trade while making $47m/y, but it sure seems like the Suns were asking other teams to value Ayton in trades at a level they were publicly indicating they did not value Ayton.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #389
miami_fan
Coordinator

There Is No Active Player That Has Played Against The Sacramento Kings In The Playoffs - Fadeaway World

This has been out there for a few days and I have not seen any corrections that would make it false. Given the anyone can make the playoffs nature of the NBA, this is an amazing stat and will explain why the Kings would sell the farm this season just to make the play in tournament.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #390
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I have not seen anything to suggest that Steve Nash would be a good NBA head coach. I think he should lose his job because of that but it would be harsh given the Kyrie affected regular season. If Nash is going to remain the head coach, the team really need to hire whoever the 2022 versions of Tex Winter, Johnny Bach and Jim Cleamons to help him until he figures this thing out.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #391
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The contracts! They mean nothing!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #392
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well that was fun.

Brooklyn Nets, Kevin Durant meet, agree to 'move forward' together after star's trade demands

I have mixed feelings with this. I agree with not trading KD. KD is not James Harden or Ben Simmons. He was always going to come in, play and play at 100%. On the other hand, it feels like KD has screwed the Nets by forcing the Nets to support a bad coach to prove that KD and Kyrie are not running things.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #393
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Well that was fun.

Brooklyn Nets, Kevin Durant meet, agree to 'move forward' together after star's trade demands

I have mixed feelings with this. I agree with not trading KD. KD is not James Harden or Ben Simmons. He was always going to come in, play and play at 100%. On the other hand, it feels like KD has screwed the Nets by forcing the Nets to support a bad coach to prove that KD and Kyrie are not running things.

The same coach that Kyrie and Durant wanted because they didn't actually want to be coached.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #394
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Holmgren out entire season. Lisfranc injury.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #395
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per Woj, Donovan Mitchell is heading to Cleveland
Old 09-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #396
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 09-01-2022, 02:44 PM   #397
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per Shams, the Jazz are getting Collin Sexton, Lauri Markkanen, Ochai Agbaji, three first-round picks and two pick swaps in return.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #398
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Jazz going to be a fun team to play as in NBA2K franchise mode...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:06 PM   #399
rjolley
College Starter

That's a good deal for both sides. It sets up Cleveland to be a serious threat over the next few years with Mitchell, Garland, Mobley, and Allen. And the Jazz take a flier on Sexton returning to form and Agbaji growing into the player he showed the potential to become over the last year at Kansas. If they don't work out, they have 5 picks to try and bring in fresh talent.

I'm surprised the Knicks couldn't put together a better deal. Steven A and Spike Lee are probably out somewhere drinking their sorrows away.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #400
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man it’s hard to believe that we gave up less for Mitchell than the wolves gave up for a center that can’t even stay on the floor in crunch time