Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2022, 12:23 AM   #251
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Trey Lance has started 3 games (99 attempts) since he was drafted by the Niners.

In two of those games, he has posted the second worst, and fourth worst QB performances (Rating-wise) of any QB since Kyle Shanahan was hired.

The guy just looks absolutely awful. His accuracy between 0-15 yards is literally the worst I have ever seen in my life. I believe his comp% is below 30% on short yardage throws, and his career comp% is floating around 56%.

I'm all for supporting whoever is taking snaps in the red and gold, but JFC, don't sell me Patrick Mahomes and then deliver Akili Smith.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 09-12-2022 at 12:25 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:38 AM   #252
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A comparison is difficult. Lance was 21 when drafted; Mahomes 22. Lance had one season as a college starter, then COVID; Mahomes had three seasons. Lance is a dual threat who might be up there with Lamar Jackson in rushing attempts and Mahomes isn't.

Lance's start last year was against the Cardinals in week 5. The Cardinals were top quarter in passing yards against last year. Lance was a very inexperienced 21 and getting an emergency start.

Today, they played one of the NFL's first underwater games. It made it rather difficult to cut, to run routes, to do much of anything on offense. Not even Madden has an underwater mode.

I'd wait to decide on awful for a while, yet. And invoking Akili Smith... that's just harsh. You're talking about a guy who might look up to Ryan Leaf in terms of performance.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:41 AM   #253
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Dak Prescott's hand is going to require surgery. He is going to miss several weeks.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #254
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow. Good thing Jimmy G is still available...
Old 09-12-2022, 09:46 AM   #255
QuikSand
lolzcat

If Dallas still harbors hopes for a good outcome this season, what is their best play? Cooper Rush, based on system knowledge, etc?

Who else is "out there" and potentially available as a rental? Andy Dalton again? Someone semi-retired? I don't have any ideas, honestly.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:56 AM   #256
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I never get teams that immediately run out to grab a semi-retired vet when the starter goes down. That's why you have a backup, right? Why is he on your team if you don't trust him to step in for 4 games? That's his primary job description, right?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #257
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
If Dallas still harbors hopes for a good outcome this season, what is their best play? Cooper Rush, based on system knowledge, etc?

Who else is "out there" and potentially available as a rental? Andy Dalton again? Someone semi-retired? I don't have any ideas, honestly.

Mason Rudolph is probably available via trade.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:01 AM   #258
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Cooper Rush did well in his one start against the Vikings last season, I think they at least have to try him out next week. It's not like he played worse than Prescott last night.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #259
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

How many backups are there in the league that can get you through more than a game or two?

Rush looked rough, but we saw Prescott struggle for 3 1/2 quarters and Dallas was the only NFL team not to reach the end zone this week. Maybe the Bucc defense is that good.

I think they're going to hang in there with Rush because he's known the system for several years now. If not, Dalton's as good a bet as anyone because he has been in Dallas recently. But trading for a guy might be difficult since it's hard to justify spending a lot for a backup, but anyone worth having is probably valued where he is.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:14 PM   #260
bhlloy
Coordinator

Dalton is the backup for the Saints isn’t he? With Winston as injury prone as he is and the Hill experiment not working I don’t see why they would move him. Rudolph is a good shout but the Steelers being 1-0 might delay the Ridder project for a few more weeks.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I never get teams that immediately run out to grab a semi-retired vet when the starter goes down. That's why you have a backup, right? Why is he on your team if you don't trust him to step in for 4 games? That's his primary job description, right?

I don't think most -- some, just maybe not "most" -- are expected to be much more than a mid-game or 1-2 game replacement. They're just warm bodies often as not.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #262
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hearing Teddy bridgewater coming up in this topic elsewhere…could make sense, Miami drafted a QB who looks pretty capable of running their offense, and seemed pained to have to leave him on the 53 man. Dealing Teddy could gather a draft pick plus allow them to add back one more special teamer or whatever.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #263
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I don't see the Saints moving Dalton nor do I see the Dolphins moving Bridgewater. There's a very good reason both those teams went out and got those guys this summer.

Rudolph might be a good option, but is he so much better than Cooper Rush that the Cowboys would want to part with assets? And secondly, why make the move and give up assets? It's not like the roster is so talent rich beyond Dak that they are a Super Bowl contender even with a mid-tier (Jimmy G) quarterback or worse (Rudolph).
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #264
miked
College Starter

Lance better figure it out, because my fantasy QB just went down and he's my backup (thanks Dak).
Old 09-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #265
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Lance better figure it out, because my fantasy QB just went down and he's my backup (thanks Dak).

Arod got my 4 points this week. Daniel Jones got 17. I think I need to play Jones next week.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #266
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

He looked real real bad yesterday.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:04 PM   #267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, Cowboys fans are going to be breaking their Lakers garb out early as hell this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:01 PM   #268
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Man, Cowboys fans are going to be breaking their Lakers garb out early as hell this year.

Obviously will have to wait until the Yankees playoff run is over though.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:11 PM   #269
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Peyton Manning had some struggles in his rookie year too. I still believe.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-12-2022 at 08:11 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:19 PM   #270
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Denver is making Geno Smith look like a HOFer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #271
Ksyrup

I feel like I'm watching a Taggart coached team.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-12-2022, 09:32 PM   #272
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

He's only had 17 starts (I think) since High School so he has a ton of developing to do, but he definitely didn't look ready to lead an offense yesterday. Hard to tell how much of that was the weather though, but he doesn't look comfortable doing much more than dropping back and trying to hit the first read.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:47 PM   #273
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't know that the Seahawks are lime flavored.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #274
Ksyrup

This couldn't be a worse coaching debut across the board.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-12-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #275
Ksyrup

Playing for a 64 yard FG. I've seen it all.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #276
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That seemed like some shit playcalling/time management at the end for Den
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #277
Kodos
Resident Alien

That was some really bad clock management down the stretch there.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #278
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Playing for a 64 yard FG. I've seen it all.

Especially after trading for Russell Wilson
Old 09-12-2022, 10:14 PM   #279
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Then he jawed at the ref for like 10 straight minutes as if he didn't just get his own stupid wish.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-12-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:15 PM   #280
Galaril
Pro Starter

Broncos fans here in town that kept saying all offseason the team was just a QB away. LMAO. They have a lot of holes to fill. Starting with the Inside defense up the middle and as usual the sub par o line. Sure rookie head coach was out of his league tonight but man Seahawks punched them in the mouth and they were stunned.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-12-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:16 PM   #281
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

And extending him with a $250 million contract.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-12-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #282
Ksyrup

Wilson looked scared to throw down field. I guess he figured he had no time to throw so just check down but the entire game was pathetic. Randy Gregory had 1 strip fumble on Metcalf otherwise you could have told me he was sitting the bench in a 3 piece suit and I would have believed it.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:21 PM   #283
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

This was my thought that I just texted a few minutes ago. How do you not put the ball in Wilson's hands on 4th and 5? With 2 timeouts? And for a 64 yard FG? That's what you pay all of that money and all of that draft capital for...to get that first and keep the chains moving.

Last edited by rjolley : 09-12-2022 at 10:22 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #284
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For all the crap we're rightfully giving DEN that game would've been considered a domination if they hadn't turned the ball over at the goal line twice. Only punted once and put up 400 some yards in offense. Hard to say, especially at this point, if those turnovers were harbingers of good or bad play for either team, or just plain luck.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #285
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Odd decision. Just a couple of yards short of the record Tucker set last year.

I know it's a part of pre-game for the coach and the kicker to agree on reliable distances and maximum range. But you're dealing with a low trajectory as well.

Hard to compare all the numbers in there (call it 30-40% getting the first down, then you've likely improved the field-goal chances considerably) and it's easy to criticize in hindsight, but that does not look like a great decision. Why not punt and use the time outs if you don't have confidence in Wilson?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:31 AM   #286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t think Jeff Driskel is particularly good but I like him more than Grier or Rush. Also how sure are we that Fitzmagic is retired?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:47 AM   #287
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
For all the crap we're rightfully giving DEN that game would've been considered a domination if they hadn't turned the ball over at the goal line twice. Only punted once and put up 400 some yards in offense. Hard to say, especially at this point, if those turnovers were harbingers of good or bad play for either team, or just plain luck.

Melvin Gordon had 2 or 3 key fumbles last year. He did it again yesterday. The Williams fumble seemed to be more of a botched play, they were rushing to get the play off nearly every snap. I can't believe Wilson took 2 delay penalties on that drive. I dont know if that was a function of getting the plays in late, or the crowd noise or what. But that's inexcusable.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-13-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #288
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Gordon getting 13 carries compared to 7 for Williams is ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #289
Ksyrup

Williams also caught 11 passes because Russ apparently has no confidence in the WR (yet I hope). But still, 3rd quarter seemed like a "veteran gets his allotted number of carries so he doesn't go off in the press" move after the great 1st half Williams had.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #290
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Initial impression of the new Denver head coach is that he simply can't Hackett.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #291
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Initial impression of the new Denver head coach is that he simply can't Hackett.

Awkward Cricket Sound Effect - YouTube
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #292
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
How does Hot Rod miss that?

Looks like that kick cost him his job.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:44 PM   #293
PilotMan
Head Coach

Not really NFL today related, but damn, this Favre stuff is corrupt as hell.
Quote:
The texts allegedly show Favre, New and Bryant conferring on how to divert at least $5 million for a volleyball stadium at Southern Miss, where Favre played college football and his daughter played volleyball at the time some texts were sent.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #294
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Not really NFL today related, but damn, this Favre stuff is corrupt as hell.

And he went public to pat himself on the back for doing the fundraising to make the new volleyball stadium happen though his charity.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #295
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Meanwhile people in the 80% black city have sludge water to drink and bathe in.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:59 PM   #296
JPhillips
General Manager

HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!

And we let him off the hook.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:08 PM   #297
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

One would think Favre would have learned that a trail of text messages could come back to haunt him.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:30 PM   #298
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is the audio-synch off for anyone else in tonight's game or is it just me?
Old 09-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #299
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why are coaches so conservative on 4th and goal from the 1 (or closer)?

Pinning the opponent at the 1 seems like a pretty good consolation prize for going for a TD.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:35 PM   #300
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's a game changer