Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #301
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
same here but it must be after you accepted a bunch of sponsor $

Nope, pretty much standard start. The problem is the two stars have no growth potential, cost you a lot of money to fire, and your income per race is negative. So, every race is costing you money. Building parts is costing you money. And if you fire them, the new drivers will cost you more per race than your old guys (further drawing you into the red per race). $15 million might seem like a good amount, but not when you are bleeding money all season.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #302
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
same here but it must be after you accepted a bunch of sponsor $

No, that's what I had before any sponsors.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #303
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I upgraded my factory first thing I did, and then saw how much money I would be losing per race. Deleted that file and started again
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #304
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah I upgraded my factory first thing I did, and then saw how much money I would be losing per race. Deleted that file and started again

I'm 2 races away from the end of the season, with the design center upgraded, and I'm going to just eek out finishing the season in the green financially. I kept the temp drivers and scouted for next year. I'll see how it looks after the offseason to see if I need to start over.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #305
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Fired this up for the first time in a while, and some nice changes through the first race or two. The big one is that you have to pay for and manage your pit crew from race to race.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #306
whomario
Pro Starter

Ok, i'll try resurrecting this Got it in the Steam Sale and only just got around to try it out.

Funnily enough i got the racing bug when a mate gifted me his F1 2017 copy on the XBox One (the new one hits soon anyway and he's not exactly hurting for funds). While i enjoy the heck out of that one (there are few games where learning curve is as rewarding as racing games) i immediately also felt like the actual management/career aspect might be too 'vanilla' and here i am ...

Started a new team now without Tutorial (ran it yesterday until race 2) and it's not going to be pretty early on. I mean, that car is baaaad. Drivers should get hazard pay First 2 races 17/19 and 17/18. Although i might have gotten 14 or 15 maybe with my first driver, if not for a mistake at the pits.

Replaced the No2 driver with a young british woman who is decent (2 stars), has a bit of upside (3 stars) and is marketable. Also, she has a Bonus in Wet condition, which i figure are the only ones where i remotely have a shot at a decent result if the stars align.

Other than than that, i got 2 new mechanics, a lead designer (although i read it's not necessary i feel it adds to the realism to not just throw away that avenue) and Upgrading the Factory.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #307
kingfc22
Head Coach

Curious when they will release a sequel as they have now recently released their 3rd mobile version.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #308
whomario
Pro Starter

Hah ! 8th place for my new driver in her first race Perfect storm of changing weather with rainy periods and slipping into the pits juuuuust as the safety car came out (benefits of driving at the end of the field). My other driver was actually up to 4th before crashing halfway through, though he was on a different strategy and so not sure where he'd ended up. But likely around 11 or 12 at least. Still, great result

After 3/10 races i am projected to have about 7 mio extra. Anything i need to buy with that or is it better to save it for next year and/or put more into the option to save for next years car ? (have it at the medium option)

I am also getting a large chunk of prize money (read it was 10 mio) at the end of the season, right ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-23-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #309
whomario
Pro Starter

Ok, one headscratcher: When developing a new part, why exactly do i only get 1 of it and not for both cars ?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #310
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I think the game encourages spending money to develop new parts and also acts like a money management feature. So while it makes sense that once the R & D is done you should be able to build as many parts of that type as you want it's just not the case afaik. Remember that your two best parts will carry over into the next season so maybe you might spend your extra millions on parts development or increase the budget for next year's car (in the Finances section).

I played this game to death when it first came out and just recently started playing it again. I am using the Fire17 mod from the Steam Workshop and it seems to make the game more of a challenge and arguably more "realistic". Read the docs if you decide to go with the mod as there is some important info in there.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #311
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Remember that your two best parts will carry over into the next season so maybe you might spend your extra millions on parts development or increase the budget for next year's car (in the Finances section).

Also these parts will be cleared of how illegal they are, so for your last build make sure that you are making the best possible part regardless of legality. Just don't use them in the current season!
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #312
whomario
Pro Starter

Thanks for the tips guys So basically spend all money and not carry anything over other than the post-season Prize Money ?

I had a look at the Fire Mod, but figure i'll play one save on default for 15-20 seasons and the play with the Mod. The '18 Version should be out by then and been tested a bit as well and from what i read they kinda re-adjust the potential (apparently already implemented in the "ICE 18" Mod) to sth that to me sounds better than what they do in the '17 Mods.

p.s. Next race 19/20 and not even close to 18th spot ... Fastest Lap 1.2 seconds behind anybody else.

EDIT: And my new driver has a dodgy neck for the next 10 weeks, awesome.

EDIT2: And now she's "not feeling it" and has 1 form

Last edited by whomario : 07-23-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #313
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I think it's easier to be competitive after the first year if you have developed a good car in the current season and put as much money aside as possible for the next season's car. To keep the chairman happy and to increase your rating in the finance skill you have to be in the black, so you have to decide on how much you can -- or want to -- spend. It's a bit of a Catch 22: do you spend money to have a competitive car now and going forward or be conservative to keep profitability?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #314
whomario
Pro Starter

First Race of the day (Race 7/10) and with Rain at the start and a well placed Safety Car Pit Stop Lola Marsh comes in 9th, Gomes also at 15. Was actually 4th with 2 Laps to go but had to save fuel as that Safety Car Stop was quite a ways from the finish. Still last in the Team standing but still a good result.

Full rainy race in the last one would be neat with those double points, might even catch the 9th place team then
Old 07-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #315
whomario
Pro Starter

Ok, what's with all the sponsor offers offering a super high Bonus for 1st or 2nd place finishes ? I mean, that clearly isn't happening here ...
Old 07-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #316
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Just another phase of the money management part of the game. You have to assess how competitive you will be and choose the best sponsors based on that assessment. My strategy is be conservative so as to not miss any of the race bonuses by finishing worse than expected. You have probably figured this out, but only choose one sponsor that pays race/qualifying bonuses as you can only choose one of those sponsors pre-race. All things being equal, I also tend to go for shorter sponsorship length as I work under the assumption I will get better as a team (marketing score) and thus have better sponsor choices in the future.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #317
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Just another phase of the money management part of the game. You have to assess how competitive you will be and choose the best sponsors based on that assessment. My strategy is be conservative so as to not miss any of the race bonuses by finishing worse than expected. You have probably figured this out, but only choose one sponsor that pays race/qualifying bonuses as you can only choose one of those sponsors pre-race. All things being equal, I also tend to go for shorter sponsorship length as I work under the assumption I will get better as a team (marketing score) and thus have better sponsor choices in the future.

Sure, all sensible. My issue is more with for some reason getting 3 offers and all setting 1st or 2nd when i am the worst team in the competition

Halfway through season 2 my car still sucks and my wet race master called for 400k per race. So it's 2 new drivers this year, both young and with some growing to do. Main driver a 20 year old 3 star driver (with 4+ potential) from Argentina, 2nd driver a 2 (and a bit) star driver from Denmark who i ended up signing mainly because he asked much less than anybody else at 100k, which feels like highway robbery. His 95 marketability also helps offset the 40 from the main driver. Might be more savy to get a lesser driver with more marketability for the No1 spot as well (or even 2 pay drivers), but i kinda wanna play this balanced for now rather than "tanking".

I am still a second behind all other team in fastest lap and a the level of drivers has increased a lot. So i rely on good strategy and reliability. Actually managed an amazing 6th place finish (other drive 16th) in Ardennes (5/10 race). Was on track to a stellar 10th, then other cars had their tires give out and i moved to 6th. The only problem: The other 2 bottom dweller teams also did very well in the race and so it is still a dead heat for 8th spot.

Get to renew 5 of my 6 sponsors once more this season so might risk it and make some more developments so i can maybe at least close the gap for next season.

Last edited by whomario : 07-25-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #318
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The more marketable your team the better offers you will get for sponsorship. I believe the problem that you are running into is that your team is significantly more marketable than they are skilled and your offers are outpacing your ability to achieve them.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #319
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
The more marketable your team the better offers you will get for sponsorship. I believe the problem that you are running into is that your team is significantly more marketable than they are skilled and your offers are outpacing your ability to achieve them.

Sounds logical. I mean, i did also run into an offer where a team gave me 4 mio upfront for a 7 race contracts. That was a nice boost to the coffers.

2nd season still finished 10th, but improved from 83 to 122 points in the table so clearly a better season. Still largely dependend on strategy/luck rather than pace. Figure this upcoming season i won't do anything with the HQ and put every buck i earn into parts upgrades, then see how i am looking at Race 7 or 8 (of 11 this year, with an aditional one in Phoenix voted in)

Thankfully i have 5 Votes saved up as on the table this season are Front Wing Development and avanced ERS which would definitely make it even tougher to compete with upper half teams.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #320
whomario
Pro Starter

Did worse in season 3, although better in the 2nd half of the season. But now come preseason still the worst car despite developing as far as i could last season ... Kinda feels a bit pointless now ... Question: The chassis part are the same shitty ones every time, no matter how much i have in the bank account. So is this basically related to the competition ?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #321
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

How does your HQ rank? If you have the money to develop all the parts you can and some left over, and are still lagging behind the competition(you should be able to tell whether you are at least gaining on them by the bars), then I would suggest upgrading some HQ facilities so that have a higher ceiling on your part development.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #322
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
How does your HQ rank? If you have the money to develop all the parts you can and some left over, and are still lagging behind the competition(you should be able to tell whether you are at least gaining on them by the bars), then I would suggest upgrading some HQ facilities so that have a higher ceiling on your part development.

This was the first season i could churn out part after part. Headquarter is 5th. Not that i did much, mind you, but the other apparently haven't as well. Upgraded the factory, got a scouting center and built a test track*, just now started work on the Design Centre.

*Ironically, other than Suspension the Top Speed is the sub-categories where the car is still dead last ...

If sponsor levels stay the same (all of them will renew early/mid season, which is up to 12 races now and a 13th on the voting table where again i'd rather save my vote ... ) i should have just about 15 mio to work with. Which isn't really enough to develp parts and upgrade the HQ any more.

Also : Pretty much every part i can built right now has risk attached to it, so basically nothing i can really use this year. Just saying that at some point playing the long game gets annoying ...

EDIT: Actually, after the first race it seems i might be still rated the worst car but it's definitely a lot closer to the 6th-9th rated ones than before. Not only did i get an 8th place finish despite having to fix my enging (everybody else had to fix shit as well, but just saying i also had to ) but the other driver finishing 14th with the worse and less reliable parts (multiple fixes) had the 13th best fastest lap.

EDIT 2: After a set of not as good races where i still was competitive i managed a 2nd place finish in the Ardennes Race Now, it was aided by a safety car, but then again my other driver was in 3rd place when it happened and got kinda screwed by it. I guess without the SC i would have gooten like 6/7 and 10, now it was 2 and 12. So not like it was just due to the SC

Last edited by whomario : 07-28-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #323
whomario
Pro Starter

I wish the game would give more prompts, like a reminder to sort your pit crew before races ...

Looks like i will be in a real pickle after this season as to my driver. Extended my No2 fot this and next season but my No1 is running out and doesn't want to resign. The good driver rarely become Free Agents and the newly added drivers get snatched up before i can finish scouting them. Might blindly get one, even if he/she has bad marketability, my current No1 has only 34% anyhow (My No2 has 100)

Last edited by whomario : 07-28-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #324
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Also : Pretty much every part i can built right now has risk attached to it, so basically nothing i can really use this year. Just saying that at some point playing the long game gets annoying ...

FWIW, my experience with this game seems like it matches yours. Getting to the end of seasons feeling like I'm doing OK and developing decent looking parts (even if I can't use them) and looking forward to the next season, and then finding out that my car is still one of the worst on the grid and all the other teams signed better drivers. In some ways that's realistic as this is a sport in which money is everything, but it hasn't made for a particularly fun game for me.

When I read people here welcoming the mods that make the game harder, I wonder what the hell I'm doing wrong
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #325
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
FWIW, my experience with this game seems like it matches yours. Getting to the end of seasons feeling like I'm doing OK and developing decent looking parts (even if I can't use them) and looking forward to the next season, and then finding out that my car is still one of the worst on the grid and all the other teams signed better drivers. In some ways that's realistic as this is a sport in which money is everything, but it hasn't made for a particularly fun game for me.

When I read people here welcoming the mods that make the game harder, I wonder what the hell I'm doing wrong

One thing that has helped me mid-season now is a set of brakes with less tyre wear. Didn't improve performance, just better tyre wear. Opens up a whole lot more range for tactics as i can push a lot harder, especially around pit stops. Also enables me to go with the faster set of dry tyres now every time, not just on tracks with low tyre wear. Would have made another 11th place finish in Race No6 but idiot that i am lost track of my fuel and ran out with like 2 corners to go and dropped 2 spots Definitely doing decently now, though noticeably better with my main driver who is in the Top5-8 for the competition i would say.

Fully expect to move down the pecking order in the 2nd half of the season now with no real improvements coming ...

Last edited by whomario : 07-28-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #326
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
What series/team are you guys starting with? I imagine that taking the worst team in the WMC would be tough; I've never tried it. Before using the Fire17 I would start in the European series with ZRT Autosport. I managed to do ok with that so you could try that to increase your fun factor.

Also, what percent level of setups are you getting? 97%+ is really a good target; less than that and it's really difficult to be competitive unless your car is best on the grid.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #327
whomario
Pro Starter

Custom Team in ERS, which apparently is a good step below even ZRT unless you choose the background with the 3 star chassis (i used the Driver Background, which i guess isn't exactly the most prudent one but sounded cool at the time ).

Setup is usually around 95 i would say. Even 90 can't possibly be the culprit when your fastest lap in races is a second behind everybody else (was last season, this season much better). And in general i still outperformed what my car is built to do, my issue was more with how slow the process is to getting the car up to even the same level as ZRT and company.

I actually made a bit of a jump this year afterall and am not dead last in everything and the bar chart has me much closer to the grid average in most stats now. Unless the track is Tondela (this one hates my car) i am now racing for 10-15th places rather than 15-18.

Expect to make another jump next year, considering i am going to be able to built the highest possible of all parts again (and a great enginge, due to test track) and can't use any this year due to the risk. Next step would be building specialty buildings to get access to great components, but from what i read that is sth you should hold off from in the ERS. Considering how my costs have spiked, i kinda think that makes sense.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #328
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't played this game in an EXTREMELY long time, however when I played you could make illegal parts towards the end of the season and they would count as your best part of that type towards your chassis the following year. You would never even have to use these parts(got busted once and learned my lesson here). I often would construct some really powerful (relative to everything else I was using) illegal parts later in the year and it could really give me a decent boost the following season.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #329
whomario
Pro Starter

One thing i hate in terms of the race mechanics are Blue Flags, have half a mind testing how it would go without. You loose way too much time compared to IRL, about 3-4 seconds everytime you have to let a car pass and i am 90% certain that the user gets overtaken by the trailing car much more than the other way around (so being 14th, the 1st place car goes past and then the 15th placed one swoops in and makes up 3 seconds in the blink of an eye and bullies past you). Hadn't had much issue with this in this current season, but just had the 11th race (ERS at 12 now) in Phoenix and that is a super short track (1 minute flat) so it was constant. Had a nice strategy going, racing in 13 and 15 with contact to 10-12, then they pit and just as i am making my push i get lapped and end up loosing spots instead of winning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I haven't played this game in an EXTREMELY long time, however when I played you could make illegal parts towards the end of the season and they would count as your best part of that type towards your chassis the following year. You would never even have to use these parts(got busted once and learned my lesson here). I often would construct some really powerful (relative to everything else I was using) illegal parts later in the year and it could really give me a decent boost the following season.

Yeah, doing that as well. Not exactly a hard choice this year in any case, since pretty much all available components are illegal anyway

Have i got it correctly that reliability-wise for these parts it doesn't matter if they are at 40 or 100 ? (Heck, one of my new ones is 20 by default)

Last edited by whomario : 07-28-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #330
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Have i got it correctly that reliability-wise for these parts it doesn't matter if they are at 40 or 100 ? (Heck, one of my new ones is 20 by default)
Reliability ratings do not carry over to the next year; so, reliability only matters when you use those parts in a race.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #331
whomario
Pro Starter

I did make a jump. Car now rated 8th and pretty much at grid average, Acc/Dec are actually above average and 5th, Top Speed 9th and Medium Corners (Suspension) 8th.

First 2 races 6th/15th and 10th/14th without any crazy weather/safety car. 2nd car is a new 2 1/2 star driver (at a very cheap 160k per race and mid 90s marketability) and i focussed reliability on my better (3 and a bit) driver first so he had to do a couple extra stops/repairs, not that much slower really.

My former main driver has not secured a cockpit in a higher division but is now earning 800k a race for the newly relegated Lucatelli team trying to gain promotion straight back. So yeah, that was too rich for me

Finding new drivers is pretty tough since the newly created ones get signed before you can scout them. The one i got now didn't get signed last year, so that's why i could snap him up.

Last edited by whomario : 07-29-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #332
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario
Pretty much every part i can built right now has risk attached to it, so basically nothing i can really use this year. Just saying that at some point playing the long game gets annoying …

I'll just second what somebody else said about maybe starting with a higher-level team if you get too sick of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy

Again I think it depends on where you start and what your goals/expectations are. I'm right now midway through the challenges; when I finish those I'm going to do a career with the Rebirth mod. It's a grindy game regardless, but in vanilla what we are talking about here is the hardest/most boring part. Once you get a team that is decent for your tier, it's not long until you can dominate and then after being promoted it doesn't take long to do the same thing there. A lot like FM and a lot of management games in that respect I suppose, but I'd just suggest when you start at the very bottom your goal isn't to compete and shouldn't be. It should be to be better each year and building for the future(i.e. part development and young, cheap, high-marketability drivers to bring in money). I would spend the bare minimum on the chassis until you have parts around average and a competitive HQ.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-30-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #333
whomario
Pro Starter

Is there any way to influence the quality of suppliers for the chassis ?

After a 8/12 races sitting solidly in 7th place, which could be better if i developed parts for this rather than next season and if my 2nd driver was as good as my first (and to be fair, the first one has the better car as well). Sponsor money at 5* (got a dilemma a while back discrediting another team for a big bonus, built the helipad and both drivers 100 marketability) is flowing in at a steady clip. The Bonus ones are still mostly unreachable, but earning 1.75 mio per race from the per-race sponsors

Actually confident enough that i supported a rule change to introduce qualifying, the reverse order always felt very "gimmicky".
Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 AM   #334
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not from where you are AFAIK. I think it's determined mostly by the level of competition. If you look around you'll probably find none of the other teams have anything better than about 2-2.5 stars(their HQ will never be top-notch either, you can't afford the upkeep) when you are in the bottom tier.

It sounds like you're on the right track and will probably get promoted in two years after being top-half next year.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-31-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #335
PilotMan
Head Coach

If anyone is on the fence for this great game Humble has it in the current sports bundle for less than $6.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #336
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh, and thanks do you guys I've gotten back into this game after more than a year off.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #337
whomario
Pro Starter

One thing doing my head in during races: The first couple laps. I know the AI goes super aggressive early on, but if i keep it on red for the first lap i pretty much have to go yellow or overheat my tyres in round 2 already. And that 2nd round is where is loose a lot of spots ...

In hindsight i also should not have agreed to have Rio/Phoenix added as both are terrible for my tyres.

Last edited by whomario : 07-31-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #338
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Oh, and thanks do you guys I've gotten back into this game after more than a year off.

This game would be so neat with multiplayer