Atocep
Coordinator

My game is unlocked and I'm west coast.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Time to get Dragonborn

(3hrs 10m from leaving home to standing in the cold to listening the opening chant soundtrack thingy)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #153
Thomkal
Head Coach

okay already stupid question time-I've gone through character creation and the you know what happened, and now I'm supposed to go to the keep-problem is I either can't see any way to get there through all the debris, or I don't know how to open the door to that tower
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #154
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
okay already stupid question time-I've gone through character creation and the you know what happened, and now I'm supposed to go to the keep-problem is I either can't see any way to get there through all the debris, or I don't know how to open the door to that tower
I followed another character (marked with a diamond), and then when he said get inside the keep, I just moved into the doorway. It let me in. Does that help?

Last edited by tyketime : 11-11-2011 at 12:10 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #155
BYU 14
Coordinator

Great timing, set to pick this up tomorrow and now my PS3 is overheating and turns off anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour into a session.....Awesome....

Another 150 bucks to Sony to fix, may just end up getting a refurbished one for the same price.

Unless anyone know a do it yourself way to fix this problem??

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #156
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I already had my first stupid moment. I jumped off a roof, and ended up behind a building. No way to escape in one direction, fire in the other. I had no choice but to run thru the fire. Ouch... but at least I was able to continue.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #157
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Great timing, set to pick this up tomorrow and now my PS3 is overheating and turns off anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour into a session.....Awesome....

Another 150 bucks to Sony to fix, may just end up getting a refurbished one for the same price.

Unless anyone know a do it yourself way to fix this problem??

Probably your power supply. Im not sure what that costs but if you replaced it Id guess it would fix it.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #158
Thomkal
Head Coach

okay I went and looked at a lets play I missed the part where I had to jump through the hole in the top of the inn -I just dropped to the ground

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-11-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #159
Thomkal
Head Coach

alrighty, heading off to bed-not young anymore can't do an allnighter. Have fun with the game guys
Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #160
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

97,000+ playing Skyrim right now (according to Steam game stats)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Don't feel too bad, or at least not alone ... I had the same confusion, my son finally said "to the left dummy, look to the left".
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #162
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone know where the User Manual gets downloaded to? I want to understand the icons in the compass.

Last edited by tyketime : 11-11-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #163
Peregrine
Pro Starter

About 90 minutes in I've had my first crash - no error message, no anything, the game just disappeared and I was back to desktop - while looting a tomato of all things.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-11-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #164
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Just finished the golden claw quest. Had a fucking blast. Loving it so far.

I'm also not really having any problems with the user interface. Yea, could it have been designed better and as far as UI's go it's not great, but I was expecting much worse.

Edit: then again I'm playing a warrior. A Mage might be a little annoying.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-11-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #165
Izulde
Head Coach

*impatiently waits for his PS3 to finish installation*

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:29 AM   #166
Izulde
Head Coach

Having a broken R1 button on my controller killed me at character creation. Wouldn't let me L1 my way to the other options, so that took a considerable amount of enjoyment out of it for me.

But after the intro run, holy shit am I loving this game at first impressions. Just gorgeous.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #167
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I know I struggled to figure out how to hotkey items in the PC version - you need to set your item as a favorite, then open the favorites menu with Q. Then when you have the selected item highlighted you can press numbers 1-8, this will now be your hotkey for that item. From what I've seen there are some limitations, like hotkeyed melee weapons only appearing in your right hand, but since I'm using two handed weapons right now that hasn't been a problem.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #168
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I usually don't advocate playing an RPG on a console but I really REALLY loved how they streamlined Skyrim on the 360 (and probably others)
Everything made sense. Everything was intuitive. Even the hotkeys were QUICK and EASY!

Everything just flowed wonderfully. And best of all I don't need to wrestle with PC settings and crashes and my PC overheating like it did with Portal 2. (Yes I realize that's a fault of the computer not the game but I have what I have)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #169
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I usually don't advocate playing an RPG on a console but I really REALLY loved how they streamlined Skyrim on the 360 (and probably others)
Everything made sense. Everything was intuitive. Even the hotkeys were QUICK and EASY!

Everything just flowed wonderfully. And best of all I don't need to wrestle with PC settings and crashes and my PC overheating like it did with Portal 2. (Yes I realize that's a fault of the computer not the game but I have what I have)

That's great to hear as I wait on my 360 copy.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #170
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Don't feel too bad, or at least not alone ... I had the same confusion, my son finally said "to the left dummy, look to the left".

ah good at least I'm not the only stupid player. And nice son you got there lol.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #171
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
ah good at least I'm not the only stupid player. And nice son you got there lol.

Tell me. oh wise one. How is combat? All in all, it is not going to matter because I can't do much of anything very long with my right arm without pain. But I am itching for a cool game right now.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #172
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think this game will break some sales records. Like Wow-territory
Old 11-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #173
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Does anyone know where the User Manual gets downloaded to? I want to understand the icons in the compass.

Went looking in various Steam and Skyrim folders-no manual to be found-so checked the forum on Bethesda's site-apparantly there was no manual in the initial download/patch. Uh...that's not good Bethesda
Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #174
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Tell me. oh wise one. How is combat? All in all, it is not going to matter because I can't do much of anything very long with my right arm without pain. But I am itching for a cool game right now.

Heh I'm very far from wise these days when it comes to games at least. I haven't tried combat yet actually-I just got through the very beginning of the tutorial before signing off for the night. I'm about to go play again though, and combat comes up very quickly so I will let you know.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #175
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

It's going to be an awesome weekend!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #176
Galaril
Pro Starter

So I got my on PC and 3 hours in it did over heat my laptop and crash. I am only running a Core 2 Duo 7550 with a Nvidia 9600m GT 512 MB card. The game did defualt me to medium settings so I might bump that down. I am also strong considering picking up a PS 3 if I can find one for a decent price maybe of Black Friday. It seems pretty apparent you should get a better experience on the PC playing with a game pad. So, really the main draw for a PC version looks to be mods and better graphics which is not a huge issue to me as the console versions are pretty good too from the looks of it
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #177
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I am not seeing ANYTHING to complain about on the console version graphicswise. The water, mist, and fire effects are amazing.

If someone can prove me wrong with pics comparison please do.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #178
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm on the PC version. So far, 98% of my battles have been melee. Right mouse button to attack, left button to block with my shield. I've only fired my bow 4-5 times. Not sure I've hit the enemy with an arrow for any serious damage, but certainly getting their attention. Of course, I think I'm on Level 2 out of 5 difficulty (don't remember name), so I'm sure that will crank up the heat once I get used to game and interface.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #179
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am going to be in so much trouble.

I should stay out of this thread, I think.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I seemed to have a knack for running into trouble from my first few steps into Skyrim proper (after the opening sequence).

On whatever the default difficulty is, the combat felt surprisingly similar to Oblivion to me. I mean, I had no need to really think about what to do, it felt comfortable & familiar and I was killing bandits & wolves without much stress. Well, except for my first & only death so far, stupid me forgot to heal after dispatching two bandits, turned the corner around a boulder & ran smack into a bandit captain's battle axe. Two strikes later & I was down and out. Not the game's fault, just careless on my part.

Now I'm not exactly the most sophisticated fighter you're going to find, give me a sword, a shield, and a healing spell & I'll throw down with most anything that comes my way. Strike, block, evade, heal when needed, repeat.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #181
BYU 14
Coordinator

Are you playing PC or Console Jon?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you playing PC or Console Jon?

Sorry. 360.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #183
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sorry. 360.

I will be too, (PS3 when fixed) as I fair much better in combat on a console and from what I have seen the graphics are not much of a step down from the graphics on a high end PC.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #184
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

okay played a little bit with combat, both with weapons and magic. If on a PC, you're going to need to move the mouse around during combat to keep aimed with a spell, bow, etc. I lit up the poor guy who was guiding me out of the tutorial once because he was in the way when I did my flame spell. So far its been just push or hold down the left and/or right mouse button to attack/block, so that part is easy to enough. Its gonna take me some time to get used to combat, and I'll probably not ever be as good as I can be with it. So if using a mouse with your right hand, your going to use it a lot in combat. Using your left hand to move around with the WASD keys.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #185
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I will be too, (PS3 when fixed) as I fair much better in combat on a console and from what I have seen the graphics are not much of a step down from the graphics on a high end PC.

I'm guessing that the comments concerning visuals (console vs. PC) are mostly based on people playing on inferior setups. I'm playing on a 1080p/HDMI setup on the PS3 and it's jaw-dropping. Neighbor has a 1080P X360 setup and it's just as good.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #186
Drake
assmaster

I let my 13 y.o. stay home from school today to play Skyrim on my PC (I pre-ordered from Steam and unlocked at midnight, since my pre-order from Amazon likely won't show up until Tuesday).

He thinks it was a grand parental gesture.

He doesn't realize that I'm giving him 10 hours while I'm at work, because it's the last time he's going to see the game this weekend.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #187
DataKing
Pro Rookie

This is going to be the longest work day ever.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #188
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
This is going to be the longest work day ever.

Your telling me - on top of that I'll have to wait until the kids go down to play....

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #189
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I let my 13 y.o. stay home from school today to play Skyrim on my PC (I pre-ordered from Steam and unlocked at midnight, since my pre-order from Amazon likely won't show up until Tuesday).

He doesn't realize that I'm giving him 10 hours while I'm at work, because it's the last time he's going to see the game this weekend.

I like your style
Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #190
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm guessing that the comments concerning visuals (console vs. PC) are mostly based on people playing on inferior setups. I'm playing on a 1080p/HDMI setup on the PS3 and it's jaw-dropping. Neighbor has a 1080P X360 setup and it's just as good.

My set up is the exact same as yours so this is great news.

Also having our youngest drop off the PS 3 for repair in a half hour, so we should have it back tonight.....Romantic candlelight dinner and a massage for the wife tonight, since she won't see me tomorrow
Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #191
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
My set up is the exact same as yours so this is great news.

Also having our youngest drop off the PS 3 for repair in a half hour, so we should have it back tonight.....Romantic candlelight dinner and a massage for the wife tonight, since she won't see me tomorrow

You've got the routine down!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Well done sir, I doff my chapeau to you.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #193
spleen1015
Coordinator

Bravo Drake.

My wife would put my nuts in a vice if I let my kid stay home from school for a video game.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #194
mckerney
Coordinator

I was looking to see if there was a solution for the X and Y axis on the mouse being different sensitivities and it looks like there are some tweaks to help, but it turns out the biggest problem that Y axis sensitivity is tied to FPS and X axis isn't. It's still playable, but a pain in the ass.

Also, the UI is total shit. I really wish more companies would do different UI for console and PC, and never include a radial dial control on PC for people using mouse and keyboard. Hopefully there's a mod for something more like the Morrowind UI soon.

Played through the Unbound quest and the gameplay was great though, can't wait to play more after work. I just wish it controlled better.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #195
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I take it you'll be able to use a XBOX 360 controller for the PC? You think it will be "easier" to use a gamepad rather than keyboard/mouse?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #196
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I take it you'll be able to use a XBOX 360 controller for the PC? You think it will be "easier" to use a gamepad rather than keyboard/mouse?

You can, there's an option for it right on the settings menu. The menus might be easier to use with the game pad as they were clearly designed for one, but there's no way I'd want to play the game with a 360 pad rather than mouse and keyboard.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #197
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm really enjoying the "killshot" animations so far - my character uses a two handed hammer and he has a thing where he drops down, takes out the enemy's knee with one smash, then finishes them off with a shot to the chest. Pretty cool - I hope there are different ones for different weapons?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #198
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
You can, there's an option for it right on the settings menu. The menus might be easier to use with the game pad as they were clearly designed for one, but there's no way I'd want to play the game with a 360 pad rather than mouse and keyboard.

Thanks Thom. I have started to think about maybe getting a gamepad for the PC if I get this to make it a little easier than the mouse. You seem to be against that idea McKerney. Any reason?

Also, can you just get a 360 controller, or should I look at another PC controller? Anybody have relatively cheap suggestions?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #199
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks Thom. I have started to think about maybe getting a gamepad for the PC if I get this to make it a little easier than the mouse. You seem to be against that idea McKerney. Any reason?

Also, can you just get a 360 controller, or should I look at another PC controller? Anybody have relatively cheap suggestions?

I just personally hate playing first person games with a gamepad. If you're someone who plays FPS on console you probably won't mind though.

Definitely get a 360 pad (and I'd recommend the new silver one with the better dpad if you can, though if you get one of those you may have to buy the receiver seperately), they may cost more but nearly every game I play with gamepad support is already configured with 360 pad support, while other pads working properly are hit or miss.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-11-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #200
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I just personally hate playing first person games with a gamepad. If you're someone who plays FPS on console you probably won't mind though.

Definitely get a 360 pad (and I'd recommend the new silver one with the better dpad if you can, though if you get one of those you may have to buy the receiver seperately), they may cost more but nearly every game I play with gamepad support is already configured with 360 pad support, while other pads working properly are hit or miss.

Ok, now let me ask this. I actually hate hate hate playing in the fps perspective. Anyone playing in 3rd person view? What is that like?

BTW, I bought it like a sucker. Downloading it now, but may wait till I get the controller later today to start it.