Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #251
Groundhog
Coordinator

67 hours, level 43, just finished the main storyline.... I'll post some thoughts later, but the power armour definitely came in handy that last mission - although with the amount of stimpacks and firepower I'm carrying around (gun nut level 4), I probably would have been OK either way.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #252
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'll put all this in spoilers...

Spoiler
Old 12-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #253
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I ran into a really horrible bug - when you go from 4 points in the melee weapon damage perk to 5 - instead of doubling your melee damage it basically halves it. So not sure if I should wait for a fix or go back to a previous save which would lose several hours of gameplay.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #254
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well I ran into a really horrible bug - when you go from 4 points in the melee weapon damage perk to 5 - instead of doubling your melee damage it basically halves it. So not sure if I should wait for a fix or go back to a previous save which would lose several hours of gameplay.

A friend of mine who is playing a full melee build says:

"someone did testing and it is display only. i flipped out when i saw it too cause i didnt want to reload"

Found a couple reddit threads here it seems like this being display only is assumed to be correct as well. I had to look right away b/c I'm slowly working towards a melee build as well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #255
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/i-j...s-in-fallout-4
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #256
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have never had much use for the drugs in Fallout but it seems like a cool idea.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #257
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a total buffout whore.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm a total buffout whore.

I'm not a big fan but I've probably used it more in 4 than the previous two combined.

At some point it became just another tool, no sense of RPG'ing about it for me. I mean, I've got magical Stimpaks that heal crippled limbs in a second or two. If that ain't a cheat then how cheat-y is a little extra strength?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #259
TroyF
Coordinator

I spent the first half of the game never using any drugs. As I didn't sell any of what I picked up, I had like 130 jet and 100+ psycho before I realized how big of an advantage they gave. I had also picked up like 8 addictal. I started popping them pretty heavily when I get into tough battles. My favorite is psycho jet, that is one hell of a drug.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #260
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not a big fan but I've probably used it more in 4 than the previous two combined.

At some point it became just another tool, no sense of RPG'ing about it for me. I mean, I've got magical Stimpaks that heal crippled limbs in a second or two. If that ain't a cheat then how cheat-y is a little extra strength?

Not to mention a quick hour nap to heal all that ails you.

Same here with buffout by far - I barely touched it in 3 or NV. I think the major difference is how much junk I collect in 4 for my settlements and mods. Plus the fact that my modded weapons and armour weigh a ton, and the drugs and stuff I was carrying around (due to hoarding and not using) was also starting to add up.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Plus the fact that my modded weapons and armour weigh a ton, and the drugs and stuff I was carrying around (due to hoarding and not using) was also starting to add up.

I occasionally forget to offload all my NukaCola products at the house so now & again I wonder wth I'm so close to weight limit when leaving for another mission & realize I've got like 28 pounds of soda in a variety of flavors.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #262
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's always fun when you get a mission at level 6 or 7, go to complete it, and the enemies waiting for you have skulls by their names.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #263
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I occasionally forget to offload all my NukaCola products at the house so now & again I wonder wth I'm so close to weight limit when leaving for another mission & realize I've got like 28 pounds of soda in a variety of flavors.

"I opened another Nuka Cola. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always opening another Nuka Cola."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #264
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
"I opened another Nuka Cola. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always opening another Nuka Cola."

I am glad I didn't have a mouth full of Nuka Cola when I read this
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #265
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I use Jet constantly - get away line up shots, lots of stuff like that Psycho is the drug I use next. The rest is minor use rarely style stuff.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #266
Bobble
College Prospect

Not me. I'm high on life. Life, and a Staggering Calibrated Combat Rifle.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #267
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It took forever but I finally got an almost matching set of good (non-power) armor. Found all but the helmet on some Gunner and it's sweet- it's like an upgraded version of combat armor. Plus with my existing "robot overlord" helmet it all looks pretty intimidating.
Attached Images
File Type: png f4armor.png (523.8 KB, 162 views)
Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #268
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
It took forever but I finally got an almost matching set of good (non-power) armor. Found all but the helmet on some Gunner and it's sweet- it's like an upgraded version of combat armor. Plus with my existing "robot overlord" helmet it all looks pretty intimidating.

Codpiece obviously photoshopped.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #269
Bobble
College Prospect

Is your 6-crank musket fully charged or are you just happy to see me?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #270
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Maybe that's my missile launcher?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #271
frnk55
High School Varsity

I'm a arrow key guy using the zero key to jump. So before I had set my middle mouse to jump so now I can use it to take activate and take shit. Now I can finally play this game the way I play fps games! I'm glad I took a break from the game.
frnk55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #272
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm in a bit of a gaming rut, probably because I mostly play sports games. I am thinking about branching out to explore something like this. Am I missing out if I haven't played the previous versions?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I'm in a bit of a gaming rut, probably because I mostly play sports games. I am thinking about branching out to explore something like this. Am I missing out if I haven't played the previous versions?

Hmm ... tough call IMO.

Would I be as enamored of F4 as I am without the history I have with F3 and F:NV? No, I don't believe so.

It's difficult for me to "un-know" the canonical things I know and try to assess how well the current game covers some very basic things. At least one faction feels very different to me without the history veteran of the series have with them. Also, some of the basic NPC combatants (such as Super Mutants in particular) are not really explained much/at all that I've noticed for those who would be coming in blind. Long-time players know how/why they exist but I don't recall any real explanation of that at all in F4.

I feel like you'd get maybe 80% of the value, if that, but not all.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #274
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If you're not sure this will be something you will enjoy - I recommend trying Fallout 3 - earlier version but you can get it a lot cheaper ($10 on Steam) and so if you don't like it, less to lose.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #275
Balldog
Pro Rookie

That is a bummer! Thanks for the reply
Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #276
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is a bummer! Thanks for the reply

All I'd ask is that you not consider my response an absolute "oh no, you'll hate it" sort of thing.

It's still a good game but the value is, IMO, enhanced considerably by having history with the universe.

As my son put it recently "Witcher 3 is almost certainly a better game if I'm honest & objective ... it's just not nearly as enjoyable"
Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #277
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I think you're fine. I've played the others but don't get engrossed in the history much and still enjoy the games. I really don't think you need to have played the others. The only benefit would be in knowing the combat system and such which can take a couple hours to get used to.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #278
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I hadn't played any of the Fallout series until New Vegas. It took me a few starts and stops before I finally got into it. But once I "got it", I really loved the game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #279
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I think Fallout 3 immediately grips you and doesn't let go(well, until you experience the Bethesda quest burnout). Fallout 4 has a much slower build up and doesn't grab you right away. If I hadn't played 3 it would have been difficult for me to be as patient as I was with 4.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-10-2015 at 04:35 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #280
RainMaker
General Manager

How much effort are you guys putting into your settlements?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #281
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Too much and not enough. I'm constantly pack-ratting around every scrap of junk and hauling it back. Then I spend what seems like way too long getting the minimum set up at each settlement. However, I never get even one settlement organized like I want. Then, I get to arming and armoring the settlers for a while. Then, I get antsy to get back to the quests and collect more junk. shurg
Old 12-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #282
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am doing a good bit - especially since I got the Charisma perk that lets you do trade routes - not having to heave junk from one place to another for building makes it a LOT easier.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #283
TroyF
Coordinator

Figured out something today that I didn't know. I feel like a moron, but maybe someone here didn't realize it either.

You can mod a weapon and get the mod it currently has in your inventory. Example: You find a great scope on a sniper rifle, but aren't happy with the damage or type of bullets it fires, you can put a standard scope on it and get the scope as a mod to put in another gun.

I cannot begin to tell you how many cool mods I've traded off or stored for a long time because I didn't realize this simple fact.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #284
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, it's kind of annoying you can't just detach a mod though. You need to craft a new one(if you don't have one handy) and attach that.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-10-2015 at 05:25 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #285
Groundhog
Coordinator

Connected power up to all my houses in Sanctuary Hills last night. Wish I could fix the walls/doors on the pre-existing structures.

Also built rocket launcher turrets and test-dropped some super mutants in... yeah, they're pretty effective.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #286
Balldog
Pro Rookie

No worries Jon. I'm still considering picking it up. I've never really explored into this genre of games so I'm hoping to find the right game to get me into it.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

The existence of this cartoon sums it up I think
spoiler tagging just to save load times for the non-interested
Spoiler
Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #288
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I can't believe it took me this long to discover that you can build a foundation (under Wood - Floors) which then lets you build buildings on top of sloping ground. Not being able to do that has been driving me crazy!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #289
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Figured out something today that I didn't know. I feel like a moron, but maybe someone here didn't realize it either.

You can mod a weapon and get the mod it currently has in your inventory. Example: You find a great scope on a sniper rifle, but aren't happy with the damage or type of bullets it fires, you can put a standard scope on it and get the scope as a mod to put in another gun.

I cannot begin to tell you how many cool mods I've traded off or stored for a long time because I didn't realize this simple fact.

I'm not sure I get the point of weapon mods. Is that so if I don't have the requisite perk (Gun Nut 4 or whatever), I can still add that mod to a weapon? If I have the perks, I don't need the mods -- or a better way to say it is if you find a weapon with the mods you want, you don't need to waste a perk. Is that about it or am I missing something?

Quote:
I can't believe it took me this long to discover that you can build a foundation (under Wood - Floors) which then lets you build buildings on top of sloping ground. Not being able to do that has been driving me crazy!

Yeah, that was a revelation for me too. I had houses "precariously" propped up on one corner on the slope of a hill. Usually, I just go back and slip a section or two of wooden bridge under as "support". I think the wooden bridge is cheaper in wood and steel. Wooden bridge frequently doubles as MG turret platform for me.

I spent a ton of steel and wood (although the wood is no big deal) on fences around my settlements 'cause I thought it was critical. Then, half the time, the raiders spawn right in the middle of everything and my fences are a waste.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #290
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I only care about two or three settlements, but Hangman's Ally is perfect, so I love to build it up. It's my favorite settlement.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #291
TroyF
Coordinator

***I'm not sure I get the point of weapon mods. Is that so if I don't have the requisite perk (Gun Nut 4 or whatever), I can still add that mod to a weapon? If I have the perks, I don't need the mods -- or a better way to say it is if you find a weapon with the mods you want, you don't need to waste a perk. Is that about it or am I missing something?***

No, you aren't missing anything. I have not upgraded gun nut or armorer so I can't make any of the high end mods from scratch. If I purchase or find a weapon that has a mod I want, I can mod it with a standard one and take the other mod to use on another one of my weapons. I can do this without the gun nut or science perk.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #292
Groundhog
Coordinator

If you are confident of your ability to take on a small army of gunners, some in power armour, I recommend the trip down to Warwick Homestead - near the south-east corner of the map. Not sure what triggered it showing up on my map so there may be quest requirements, but it's the best settlement I've seen outside of Sanctuary Hills.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #293
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you are confident of your ability to take on a small army of gunners, some in power armour, I recommend the trip down to Warwick Homestead - near the south-east corner of the map. Not sure what triggered it showing up on my map so there may be quest requirements, but it's the best settlement I've seen outside of Sanctuary Hills.

Hello!

This post may have some gentle spoilers in it. Sorry!

I have it. It's okay. I have almost every settlement, and i've spent about 4 days getting more and building them up, doing almost no quests., because I'm enjoying it a la SimFallout. I really liked the Slag, and I used it as my Fortress moving to a bunch of places north and east of it. There's a giant island you can grab off the Castle, and it's so big it takes minutes to cross it, and you can get the whole thing.

But if I had this all to do again, I'd make a beeline for Covenant, and grab it and use it as my primary base, not in the far corner of the world like Red Rocket TS or Sanctuary. Covenant is built up very well, extremely good for defenses ,and you can get it without firing a shot if you do it right ( I figured it out and now the reward to get Covenant for free is pretty tasty).

But Hangman's Alley is still my favorite. It's perfectly located, and you can build it up. I build a quick ladder, two floors, two walls, and two roofs and added a whole other room above it, and in addition it has a ton of dirt for farming ( a lot more than you would think from it being an alley in Boston).

Warwick is far, but giving it a big ol gun is nice, it helps to expand in the SE corner of the map.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Put me in the category of "Warwick is nice but not utterly amazing" as well.

It's also been my second most frequently attacked settlement, despite having equal or higher defensive values.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speakign of settlements (and of Warwick), a question:

Is anyone losing settlers as fatalities during attacks?

Thus far I've had only one, literally seeing numerous settlers go down but then recover (ala companion style) in numerous firefights.

Yet I recently found a single lone body, dead as a post, after a Warwick firefight. A "named NPC" at that.

Having suffered no other fatalities I'm not sure whether that's a glitch or if I've just been really lucky.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #296
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Covenant as a settlement? That sounds cool. Maybe next game.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #297
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think my 'discovery' of purified water and mutfruit as the best source of income in the game has a lot to do with how much I like Warwick - ample room for both. It's fairly easy to defend in theory too with one clear entry, but as invaders often spawn inside that's a moot point.

I've also had settlers die in raids, but very rarely - maybe only once from what I can recall. Not sure of the rationale, it might be that the original settlers can't die (in a similar way to how they can't be transferred out to other settlements), where as others can.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #298
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just added a Marina a another settlement quite easily, it's nice, easily defended, and off by itself so it could be another big gun place as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #299
Groundhog
Coordinator

Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think my 'discovery' of purified water and mutfruit as the best source of income in the game has a lot to do with how much I like Warwick - ample room for both. It's fairly easy to defend in theory too with one clear entry, but as invaders often spawn inside that's a moot point.

I've also had settlers die in raids, but very rarely - maybe only once from what I can recall. Not sure of the rationale, it might be that the original settlers can't die (in a similar way to how they can't be transferred out to other settlements), where as others can.

My death WAS an original though, which is why I was really kinda confused by it. I'd have figured the generic "settler" to be somewhat disposable but they've proven to be quite durable thus far.

Also, and I don't think this gets into spoiler territory IMO, just more like things that should be in the manual if there was a manual ...

are Provisioners bulletproof? I seem to get a LOT of "proximity random events" that involve them getting the crap kicked out of them until I can ride to the rescue but I haven't lost one yet. Is it even possible for me to lose one?