Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Front Office Football Multiplayer > WOOF Alternate Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Commish Thoughts???

I know that I'd prefer to have a non-playing commish, but all the good ones I know of are either already in this league, or considering joining. As we get closer to the Magic 32, does anyone have thoughts on this?

Old 11-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I think the IHOF experience pretty conclusively proves that a non-playing commish is great, but I don't know how many VPI's you can find out there. How did you all go about finding him?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
I think the IHOF experience pretty conclusively proves that a non-playing commish is great, but I don't know how many VPI's you can find out there. How did you all go about finding him?
I posted a thread in GD, and he volunteered. Talk about lightning in a freaking bottle.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...threadid=19880
Old 11-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Why not ask VPI96 or VPI98?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Heh. Looking back, it's pretty funny to read how many of the original IHOFers (myself included) were a bit skeptical of having a non-playing commish.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...552#post343552
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I don't really think having an owner commish is a huge problem either. Like, erm, Hells Atlantic :shock: I think whoever looks the best for the job and is (very) interested should do it. I think the problem is that most commish's start their own league and have a huge interest in it because of that. With this being sort of a group/SkyDog's brainchild I can imagine that it will be difficult finding someone who will have that level of interest, unless they are an owner.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
I don't really think having an owner commish is a huge problem either. Like, erm, Hells Atlantic :shock: I think whoever looks the best for the job and is (very) interested should do it. I think the problem is that most commish's start their own league and have a huge interest in it because of that. With this being sort of a group/SkyDog's brainchild I can imagine that it will be difficult finding someone who will have that level of interest, unless they are an owner.

Maybe you are joking, but I won't play in a league where HA has any sort of power. Not even the power to set the colors, or change the cursor look.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dual Commish's has worked well in a long running baseball league I'm in, fwiw.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Heh. Looking back, it's pretty funny to read how many of the original IHOFers (myself included) were a bit skeptical of having a non-playing commish.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...552#post343552

To be fair, the suggested non-playing commish at that particular point in time wasn't VPI97, but a guy most folks would consider a bit of a wildcard, if I do say so myself.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
To be fair, the suggested non-playing commish at that particular point in time wasn't VPI97, but a guy most folks would consider a bit of a wildcard, if I do say so myself.

I don't think it had any thing to do with the person, fwiw. I know my reservations had nothing to do with the person(s) being considered.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I would have no problem with dual playing commishes, and/or an "executive commitee" to help handle disputes. An impartial non-playing commissioner would be cool, but hard to find.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #12
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Maybe you are joking, but I won't play in a league where HA has any sort of power. Not even the power to set the colors, or change the cursor look.

I think I might have phrased myself badly. Part of the perils of living in a non-English speaking country. I meant "I agree with what HA said". Which is shocking enough.

Still it would certainly be an, erm, interesting league.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:37 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Bump. Time to get serious about this discussion.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #14
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'm flexible... will speak up if there's something I disagree with, but I'm more specific about the quality of the commish than the particular role he plays.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Obviously my first preference would be to have a non-playing commish. However, I'm sure there are any number of good candidates among us either as a single person or committee.
how do you know?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Obviously my first preference would be to have a non-playing commish. However, I'm sure there are any number of good candidates among us either as a single person or committee.
Agree wholeheartedly. We have a number of experience commishes, and a number of others who I'm sure would be great if given the chance. Part of me now is starting to wonder if we shouldn't even bother looking for someone from the outside.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
RedKingGold
College Starter

3 years later and with the amount of experienced commishs already on board, I do not see a need to look outside the league for an unbiased commish nor should we deny the commish a team in the league.

The system with a commish and conference presidents who owned teams has worked well in the GEFL and I think it worked well in IHOF.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-27-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #18
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So what's the next step? Either we start nominating people to ask outside of the league, or we start taking volunteers among the players. If we go with internal, I'd recommend:
  • Two co-commishes who take care of running the turns (1 primary, and a backup for when the primary is unavailable)
  • Three-member competition comittee to handle disputes. May or may not include the co-comishes.
I'm willing to volunteer for either role, although I'd definitely need a co-commish and people to be flexible when the sim runs if I'm a commish due to having 2 young kids at home.

I'm also a big fan of having very few "rules" and instead let the competition committee handle problems. I hate having to have a calculator out (or write a utility ) to determine what a legal contract is. We should have a good enough group to avoid having people trying to really game the system with freak contracts or punishing position changes that we shouldn't need a myriad of special house rules that make it more work than fun to play in the league.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'd like a commish who is not too involved with many other leagues and would have less conflicts. But, I'm not sure who is involved with which leagues.

My personal nominations (assuming we go with the IHOF/GEFL model):

Commish: Wade Moore (I greatly admire all of the stuff he did at IHOF for the immersion factor and think he is fair; although he doesn't quite understand stadium economics, )

Conference President: Skydog (While I know he does not want to be commish, he is the brainchild of this puppy and feel confident he would be greatly involved in the best interests of the league.)

Conference President: If he chooses to enter, VPI97 (Has done an AMAZING job as commish of both IHOF and GEFL. While he likely may not want to commish a third league, he would be a great resource on hand to step in from time to time on a limited basis if needed to run sims)
Old 11-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #20
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

What about the new logo artist Nugget699

Have anyone had a word with him. I see he is trying to start up a new league (www.thesuperleague.net) but maybe we can talk him inn to be the commish here instead. I have absolutely no background info on him to back this up.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 11-28-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:14 AM   #21
Icy
Pro Starter

I don't mind the commish being also a GM. In all the MP leagues i have played the commish was also owner and never had any issue with it.

I think it will be really hard to find a commish that is not also a GM, i wouldn't find any fun on doing that myself but it's the way i play games, i want to play them. I underestand too that there are other guys who enjoy playing in "god mode" in OOTP for example so maybe we can fnd one of those.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #22
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
What about the new logo artist Nugget699

We'd all get shiny smart logos at least.

It's hard to get a grip on him as he's only posted 10 times but he seems like a decent bloke. I guess someone could at least PM him and find out more.