Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Front Office Football Multiplayer > WOOF Alternate Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Injury setting (Realism vs. Fun)

Another thing we need to address sooner or later is the injury setting. I guess most people now accept that 200 is the correct injury setting if you want to mirror the NFL. But I also think that most would agree that is not the best solution for a MP league.

I’m not sure if anyone have had the time to do enough testing to get a clear picture of injuries in FOF07 so I guess we will be making our pick mostly based on the experiences we had with FOF04.

To get things started I suggest we start the league with an injury setting of 125.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I figured we'd save this discussion for when we have 32.

While I prefer a higher setting, my suggestion is that we don't start above 100 unless we do extensive testing, and have complete sign-off from everyone that they will not complain excessively about the injury setting. Maybe a long discussion, followed by a multiple choice poll that allows you to select all of the injury settings you'd be comfortable with, and we settle on the one that has the most votes.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I absolutely agree that we don’t make any decision until we have all 32 owners and a Commish in place. On the other hand is this one of the things that can create endless grief if we don’t get it right. I just wanted to kick-start the long discussion now so we get time to think about it and don’t rush to a conclusion when we get all man aboard and want get the league started.

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 11-25-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

SkyDog has suggested that injuries may have been tweaked in the latest patch so I'd have to look at that. However, given the level playing field (arf!) in turf quality I have nothing against the injury level being set high. My opposition to it in other leagues has been centred on how a high injury setting targets whichever poor schmuck gets Minnesota's concrete astroturf in 2004. Anything over 125 works for me.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
SkyDog has suggested that injuries may have been tweaked in the latest patch so I'd have to look at that.
I retract that statement, but I stand by the statement that with a level playing field, injuries are lower than in past versions. Everyone gets VG turf to start out, and the option (should they choose) to build a new one or renovate from the start. It's definitely a whole new ball game.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think I've mentioned it another thread before, but the primary issue to me with injury setting is not the number of injuries, but the severity. I have a 2k4 league going with the setting at 50 and had 3 guys get hit with career-ending (30+ drops in future) in one season. That's the killer and can really destroy your drafting and FA efforts to build a team. What we need is an injury analysis on 2k7 to check how many injuries, what the lengths are, and how guys are affected.

I don't mind lots of multi-week injuries, but if going above 100 means even MORE players retiring early in 2k7, I'd rather keep it low.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I think I've mentioned it another thread before, but the primary issue to me with injury setting is not the number of injuries, but the severity. I have a 2k4 league going with the setting at 50 and had 3 guys get hit with career-ending (30+ drops in future) in one season. That's the killer and can really destroy your drafting and FA efforts to build a team. What we need is an injury analysis on 2k7 to check how many injuries, what the lengths are, and how guys are affected.

I don't mind lots of multi-week injuries, but if going above 100 means even MORE players retiring early in 2k7, I'd rather keep it low.
I don't have a good feel yet for CEI's in 2K7, but I can say that I've only seen four or five on my team in my 10-year career (at 200). Granted, I do a lot to manage injuries. I do know this: starting off with all VG stadiums (with the option for immediate upgrades) makes a pretty big difference.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm seeing pretty big injuries @ 150 in FOF2k7 that *appear* to be more severe even than in FOF2k4. But no data worth showing here...
Old 11-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've had two Career Ending Injuries in the first year of my career with Injuries at 150, but in both cases I took a chance and brought a guy back early who had a concussion. Throughout the entire league (discounting the two guys I took a chance on), I've seen 2 or 3 career ending injuries/year that weren't related to concussions with injuries at 150, but I have a small data sample.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

My preference would be for 100. I'd grudgingly accept 125, but anything over that and I will reserve the right to complain!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My preference would be for 100. I'd grudgingly accept 125, but anything over that and I will reserve the right to complain!

Old 11-26-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

The thing with 2007 is that careers are over more quickly anyway (don't play a vet for a season or two and he might as well retire) so I don't actually think CEIs are quite as disastrous as they were in 2004. And as SkyDog pointed out Very Good turf and the possibility for upgrade ought to really help, compared to SP games were turf quality is, presumably, varied.

I can't think of anything more mind-numbing than trying to track injuries throughout a season but if someone wants to undertake that then good luck to them.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
One of the things I hoped for in putting this group together was a whine-free league. I would hope that if the rest of the league decides we want a higher injury setting, that you'd be willing to take it like a man.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Flasch186
Coordinator

Id say 200 but thats just me.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Well, and SkyDog.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
One of the things I hoped for in putting this group together was a whine-free league. I would hope that if the rest of the league decides we want a higher injury setting, that you'd be willing to take it like a man.

Lighten up, Francis.

I would hope the exclamation point was enough to get the lighthearted tone of the post across.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #17
Icy
Pro Starter

150 could be a good spot between realism and fun.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #18
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm cool with 100 or so, but I'd be willing to go with whatever the group decides as it's really not important to me.
how do you know?

Old 11-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
150 could be a good spot between realism and fun.

This would be my preference.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-26-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
TredWel
High School Varsity

I have to admit, I'm kinda curious to see how a MP league with an injury setting of 200 would work out. If anything, I would imagine it would act as a way to increase randomness and add more parity to the league over the long haul. Midseason Free Agency grabs would probably be more contested as well.

I'm not that I'm necessarily for or against a setting of 200 (most of my FOF experience comes with injuries at 100), but I think it would make for some interesting times.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #21
Emiliano
College Prospect

150 is a good choice for me as well, but an higher/lower setting is fine too.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #22
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

100 is probably the best setting for a good balance of fun v realism.