Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #151
miami_fan
Coordinator

This has brought me way too much joy this morning. This is what I would like to hear more of if the broadcasters are going to keep mic'ing up the players.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #152
miami_fan
Coordinator

At some point, the programmers are going to fix the Leicester City set piece exploit.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #153
miami_fan
Coordinator

That will do it for Brenden
Old 10-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #154
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Haaland beast mode

Haaland has as many hat tricks as Jamie Vardy and Frank Lampaard

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-02-2022 at 10:19 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #155
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Foden >>> Sancho

Just like I said years ago
Old 10-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #156
miami_fan
Coordinator

That is a hilarious way to get sent off by the Leeds player. I don't know about the first yellow but the second yellow was well deserved.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #157
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63105945

125 dead after fans storm the field to celebrate and are beaten and teargassed repeatedly by cops, then are crushed trying to flee.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #158
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63105945

125 dead after fans storm the field to celebrate and are beaten and teargassed repeatedly by cops, then are crushed trying to flee.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:39 AM   #159
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Haaland beast mode

Haaland has as many hat tricks as Jamie Vardy and Frank Lampaard

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #160
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I knew Haaland would be pretty devastating when hooked up to Man City's fully functional chance-creation machine, but this is ridiculous.

Haaland leads the EPL scoring chart with 14 goals. Harry Kane is second with 7. And, knock-on effect, de Bruyne leads the assist chart with 8. Second is Bernardo Silva with 4. Tied for 5th is... Erling Haaland with 3.

Kudos to Arsenal for their bright start, and current lead in the table, but unless Haaland gets injured, the rest of the league will be playing Alderaan to Man City's Death Star.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #161
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Any one who is mentioned for abuse in this report needs to be blackballed from the industry.

U.S. Soccer investigation into women's game finds systemic abuse, misconduct

Including this bit that needs CRIMINAL referral. (spoilering for Sexual assault, from the article)

Spoiler

The player agreed to be identified for this report, btw

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-03-2022 at 04:52 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:34 PM   #162
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Any one who is mentioned for abuse in this report needs to be blackballed from the industry.

Including this bit that needs CRIMINAL referral. (spoilering for Sexual assault, from the article)

Spoiler

This is absolutely awful. Holly should face criminal charges. I believe there were rumblings of his behavior at Sky Blue from what I've read but Racing Louisville opted to hire him anyway (he at least was in a relationship with one of his players for sure which is bad).

I lived in Louisville for about 9 years until I moved closer to family last August. Racing Louisville and USWNT are the two soccer teams I follow/watch regularly.

I am still rooting for the NWSL and Racing Louisville to succeed and thrive. Women's sports don't have nearly the viewership that they deserve.

However, anyone who enabled this kind behavior among the NWSL office, U.S. Soccer, and clubs around the league need to be terminated if they are still around as well those who were responsible slowing or inhibiting the investigation.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #163
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
This is absolutely awful. Holly should face criminal charges. I believe there were rumblings of his behavior at Sky Blue from what I've read but Racing Louisville opted to hire him anyway (he at least was in a relationship with one of his players for sure which is bad).

I lived in Louisville for about 9 years until I moved closer to family last August. Racing Louisville and USWNT are the two soccer teams I follow/watch regularly.

I am still rooting for the NWSL and Racing Louisville to succeed and thrive. Women's sports don't have nearly the viewership that they deserve.

However, anyone who enabled this kind behavior among the NWSL office, U.S. Soccer, and clubs around the league need to be terminated if they are still around as well those who were responsible slowing or inhibiting the investigation.

Here is an interview with Racing Louisville's goalkeeper and captain from the 2021 season, Michelle Betos. She played for Gotham (formerly Sky Blue) this year.

https://twitter.com/Tyler_Greever/st...89722047832065

Audio seems to cut in and out some. "James" who she refers to some in the interview is James O'Connor who is the current team president of both Racing Louisville and Louisville City FC.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #164
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Spoiler

They probably need to go ahead and transition to the investigation of abuse in the youth soccer ranks. I doubt the people with power are waiting until the players turn eighteen before abusing them.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #165
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Fire Rodgers now. So predictable, another collapse.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #166
kingfc22
Head Coach

Top of the table once again!
Old 10-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #167
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Don't do it to yourself.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:25 PM   #168
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

so no one was concerned about this?
Old 10-09-2022, 05:30 PM   #169
Critch
lolzcat

If you are concerned about the above, here's a documentary from Al Jazeera about Indonesian football violence:

Indonesia’s Football Fever

Who knew there was such a thing before last week?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:55 AM   #170
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Kinda interesting, Clint Dempsey is advising a group to create something like a Soccer version of "The Basketball Tournament", which is a 1 million winner take all 64 team basketball tournament. The Soccer Tournament would be run by the same folks as the Basketball tournament and feature a 32 team tournament played over four days, World Cup style (32 team group stage, Knockouts starting at the round of 16, etcetera)

Rules:

7 on 7 (normally), small field

2 20 Minute Halves of Regulation

Modified version of the Elam Ending. At the end of regulation, a winning score is set (Winning team's current score +1, so if it's 7-5, the winning score is 8). During the Ending phase, every five minutes, each team loses a player. (becomes 6v6, 5v5, etcetera)
Old 10-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #171
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Rangers go up 1-0 on Liverpool, and all the pundits start dreaming of their "Liverpool is gone" speeches.

Rangers fans: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve"

Liverpool Angry. Liverpool SMASH!

Final 7-1 Liverpool
Old 10-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #172
Ksyrup

This is fun. Nice appetizer before a day of NFL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #173
bhlloy
Coordinator

The state of refereeing in British football if this is the best ref they can put out for the biggest game of the weekend (season?). You could tell me Anthony Taylor is eight beers in and I’d believe you, with how just utterly bizarre and inconsistent he’s been.

Oh and if I was Salah I’d be putting a hit out on Nunez. What a selfish shit of a player.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #174
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I remember a time before VAR when you could celebrate goals. It was awesome.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #175
kingfc22
Head Coach

Still top of the table.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #176
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The state of refereeing in British football if this is the best ref they can put out for the biggest game of the weekend (season?).

IIRC, a number of experienced refs retired somewhat unexpectedly over the past few years, variously citing unrelenting abuse and also phoned/mailed death threats.

In addition the UK, like the US, has seen a decimation of numbers of refs at the grassroots. The EPL (like MLS) will always have referees, but the standard is going to continue to go down as there's just less and less competition.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #177
miked
College Starter

That was certainly strange, I thought they were reviewing whether it was knocked out of Alison's hands, not whether there was a random foul 5 passes before the goal. How far back can they review?
Old 10-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #178
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
That was certainly strange, I thought they were reviewing whether it was knocked out of Alison's hands, not whether there was a random foul 5 passes before the goal. How far back can they review?

They'll let you know as soon as they're done making up the rules, ie never
Old 10-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #179
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Same "phase of play". So go back til the ball has been out of play, or Liverpool had control of the ball. Just check the period Man City had the ball before the goal. Hard to argue it wasnt a foul, so VAR got it right this time.

Last edited by Critch : 10-16-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #180
miked
College Starter

I guess the point is they had more than enough time to blow the whistle and call the foul, it was not bang bang. They were not playing any advantage, it was just odd officiating and odd that they can go back as far as the entire possession.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #181
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Oh and if I was Salah I’d be putting a hit out on Nunez. What a selfish shit of a player.

Amen! Wow. After the first time, he should have thought "maybe I made the wrong decision". Second time was inexcusable.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #182
Critch
lolzcat

Here or the Strange News Stories thread?

Colombian soccer player exposes penis
Old 10-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #183
miami_fan
Coordinator

Brendan is turning things around I see.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #184
Ksyrup

Eh. Half a game to go. Two weeks ago they gave up a lead and lost. This is a must win after Nottingham upset Liverpool yesterday but it ends a run against beatable teams. He's a good manager and I doubt they fire him u less things get untenable. But they are still teetering.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #185
Ksyrup

Well, maybe turning a corner of sorts. Even if just to make a run to safety.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #186
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Brendan is turning things around I see.

Forest, Leeds, & Wolves may have been the right teams at the right time. Losing to any one of those and you'd have to be truly concerned.

Of course the next three are Man City, Everton, & West Ham. Probably can't take anything away from the City game, but you probably want to see them be competitive with the other two, otherwise you'd have to think ownership would be ready to pull the trigger.

To me, Leicester need to resolve two things:

1. Your play for regular UCL money failed, you need to recalibrate to either a) EURO Cup money or b) just regular revenue with anything else being a bonus. What does that recruitment strategy look like and how long will it take to implement?

2. Someone needs to have a sit down with Rodgers and explain the above and determine a) if he's OK being in this competitive position and b) does he have a tactical plan to win with a team constructed that way.

Arguably, there's no reason why this can't work, as Rodgers had success in the EPL with Swansea on a similarly limited budget. But I wonder if stints with Liverpool (eventually unsuccessful) and Celtic (inevitably successful), and thus functionally unlimited budgets, have changed his mindset too much.

He's human too, and leaving Celtic for Leicester was clearly part of a plan to get back to a Big 6 post. But he's probably going to have to show he can do it without Big 6 money, like Potter just did.

I'm not a huge fan of Rodgers the man, but he's clearly talented and can likely succeed at a Big 6 club. I feel he probably just needs to stop getting in his own way in order to achieve that success.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #187
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

If we're talking the Haaland disallowed goal (sorry, I'm two weeks behind), there are 3 touches (including Haaland's shot, the rebound of which is scored by Foden) after the foul, and about 8 elapsed seconds. It's a clear foul by Haaland that creates a clear advantage for City. Good call, IMO.

In addition, Allison didn't appear to have control of the ball.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #188
Ksyrup

That looked like the right call on the Wilson goal. Mainly because I feel like Lloris flopped - there was contact, he was standing upright at contact but then immediately threw his legs out, knowing he was completely out of position.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #189
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, flop by Lloris. Good no-call. I wouldn't have argued a yellow for simulation, to be honest. If the internet is to be believed, Lloris has 30 pounds on Wilson.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #190
Critch
lolzcat

Leeds into the relegation zone and the next 5 league games have away games at Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle and home to Man City in there.

We could be getting to the end of Jesse Marsch's time in the EPL.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #191
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. MLS Wants to revamp the playoffs. # of games would go from 13 up to possibly 30.

MLS considering significant overhaul of playoff format: Sources - The Athletic

Two options mentioned in the article are:

A) A playoff group stage (Break down 16 playoff qualifiers into four groups of four (keeping within conferences, so there would be two western conference groups, and two eastern conference groups, play each other once (the two higher seed teams in each group would get two home playoff games, the two lower seeds only get one) top two from each playoff group qualify for quarterfinals, then single legged knock out from there

and

B) Two-legged matches (home and away) throughout the playoffs.

My thought: If they're going with option A, make it so all post season games are at the higher seed throughout the group stage (so the top team in each playoff group would get all three games at home, 2nd seed would get two games at home (the third at the top seed on the road), so on and so forth.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #192
kingfc22
Head Coach

A seems a bit silly since the regular season already creates the seeding. Two legged matches is much more in line with a lot of competitions.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:33 PM   #193
miami_fan
Coordinator

Option B is the only one that makes any sense to me. The article does say that the goal is to increase its overall inventory of postseason matches for its new media partner Apple. Option B gets you to 25 postseason games with a single game MLS Cup as opposed to the 30 with Option A. I see no need for those dead rubber matches. I would much rather MLS add 6 more games to the regular season so every team will get a chance to face each other at least once every year.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #194
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-29-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would much rather MLS add 6 more games to the regular season so every team will get a chance to face each other at least once every year.

But how marketable are those hypothetical games?

Regular season MLS averaged around 334,000 TV audience per game this year (a noticeable improvement, and the best in 15 years).

That's 60% of the audience that AEW gets for Rampage on Friday nights. And it's -with- games on ABC proper included in the average.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:36 PM   #196
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But how marketable are those hypothetical games?

Regular season MLS averaged around 334,000 TV audience per game this year (a noticeable improvement, and the best in 15 years).

That's 60% of the audience that AEW gets for Rampage on Friday nights. And it's -with- games on ABC proper included in the average.

I honestly don't know. I know I would be much more likely to watch Inter Miami travel to Portland to play the Timbers in that atmosphere or to L.A. play the Galaxy than I am to watch a dead rubber third group stage match where they face FC Cincinnati for at least the third time that season.

This is what frustrates me with MLS. They make a big deal about being a North America sports league and how the way we do things here involve playoffs. no relegation, etc. Cool, I may not like it but I can support what they are saying. All of a sudden we are introducing a group stage? A group stage grouped by conference? When did we start doing group stages in North America professional sports? Hell, if you just want to have more games, make each playoff series two out of three until MLS Cup. I am not a big fan of that either but at least that is something that is normal for North American sports.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is what frustrates me with MLS. They make a big deal about being a North America sports league and how the way we do things here involve playoffs. no relegation, etc. Cool, I may not like it but I can support what they are saying. All of a sudden we are introducing a group stage? A group stage grouped by conference? When did we start doing group stages in North America professional sports? Hell, if you just want to have more games, make each playoff series two out of three until MLS Cup. I am not a big fan of that either but at least that is something that is normal for North American sports.

Considering that the Univision audience for the MLS playoffs is usually larger than the U.S. network(s) audience, I'm not sure that normal for the U.S. matters as much.

As for "where is adding games more attractive", I can guarantee you that Apple looks at the average playoff game audience and looks at the average regular season game audience and quickly decides which type of game they want more of.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #198
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

hey jude
Old 11-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #199
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I feel like we need to do a poll: "Manchester City appear to be a juggernaut in the early season. Will they roll through and easily win their first UCL or what comedy late-round collapse do we see for them this time?"

I'm laughing, but inside I'm crying, fyi.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #200
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I feel like we need to do a poll: "Manchester City appear to be a juggernaut in the early season. Will they roll through and easily win their first UCL or what comedy late-round collapse do we see for them this time?"

I'm laughing, but inside I'm crying, fyi.

Should be favorites again, but anything can happen. I think they would have gotten past Madrid if Kyle Walker was available. The good news keeps rolling in. Pep should be extending again shortly.