Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #1001
korme
Go Reds

I'd like to hear more about MLB The Show. How's the stadium designer? How's RttS? I haven't played in a few years but always kind of hated that it would take 2-3 seasons to reach MLB - though realistic, I'm trying to play in the major leagues!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #1002
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

RttS is, from reddit complaints, ruined. They tied it into Diamond Dynasty to progress and people are pissssssssed.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #1003
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am sure not what "diamond dynasty" means. Also, is there a way for automatic fielding and such? I haven't played a MLB game since PS2, but I get The Show with Gamepass. I just want to see if it is worth the download.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #1004
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am sure not what "diamond dynasty" means. Also, is there a way for automatic fielding and such? I haven't played a MLB game since PS2, but I get The Show with Gamepass. I just want to see if it is worth the download.

Diamond Dynasty is their "card collecting" mode. Play games, get game currency, buy packs for better players, repeat. Of course since most people don't care to grind, they just pay cash for the packs.

It's the cash cow.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #1005
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

March to October is the best thing ever in a baseball game. Really enjoying it with the Cardinals, even though I'm like 8.5 games out of first.

Being thrown into games as well as playing as a player at times, making a trade or playing as a rookie in the minors, it's really well done to get through a season yet still keep you interested.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #1006
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Like you, I hadn't played a baseball sim in forever. And I got this b/c it's free with Gamepass.

It is a blast. You can set everything to manual if you want. Or set pretty much everything other than "press A to swing; press A to pitch" to automatic.

I have baserunning and fielding set to automatic. I keep more control over pitching and hitting. And I have the difficulty set to improve as I get better. Been a blast so far.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #1007
GrantDawg

I am playing with the rtts. I have a relief pitcher, and just using the classic mode. Fun so far.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 PM   #1008
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I have baserunning and fielding set to automatic. I keep more control over pitching and hitting. And I have the difficulty set to improve as I get better. Been a blast so far.

I will say that I'm finding this year's iteration MUCH tougher to pitch or hit than I found last year's. Which is a little weird since I played some last year but hadn't played a baseball game on console in years before that.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #1009
RainMaker
General Manager

Finished Days Gone. I think it was better than RDR2. Really the only thing RDR2 does better is create an immersive environment. Some of the complaints about it being long and slow at times are fair, but I loved it.

If this had the name Rockstar on it, it would have been GOTY.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #1010
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone know what's up with PS5 situation? Been wanting one for awhile now but don't see any signs of them becoming available. Pretty close to saying fuck it and just sticking to PC gaming.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #1011
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

it's just a shortage of chips due to the pandemic
Old 04-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #1012
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone know what's up with PS5 situation? Been wanting one for awhile now but don't see any signs of them becoming available. Pretty close to saying fuck it and just sticking to PC gaming.

Chip shortages aren't getting better anytime soon from what I've read. It's expected to spread into auto manufacturing soon. Foxconn says it won't let up until next year while Sony CEO is saying they're working on solutions to make the console more available by the end of this year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #1013
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Latest I've heard is chip shortages are likely to extend into 2022.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #1014
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1...848792579?s=19

7.8mil PS5s have been sold as of March 31 (3.3mil in the last quarter). More than the PS4 sold in the same timeframe after it was released. I have noted that many people actively searching (following Twitter or reddit for news of drops) have been able to get one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-28-2021 at 09:58 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #1015
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's not for everyone, but you do have to put in a little work to get one if you are dead-set on paying MSRP. I made the decision to get one earlier in January and it took me about a day to strike gold during a Best Buy drop.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #1016
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think I'll wait until College Football 2023 comes out. Maybe they will offer a less dorky looking PS5 by then.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #1017
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Are you on twitter? I followed and turned on notifications for a guy who tracked PS5 drops on Wal-Mart, Target and other big box stores. After a couple weeks of following him, he posted a target drop and I was quick enough to secure an order. I can find the user if interested.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #1018
GrantDawg

The new college football game will be when I buy a new console. That is unless it comes out for PC.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #1019
Icy
Pro Starter

Finally managed to buy a Series X! I have been trying to get one for over a month, but there is no stock in Spain anywhere. Yesterday I received a notification in a telegram group about some stock in an online store and ran to buy it and luckily my order went through, as 5 minutes later there was no stock again.

I have received it 1 hour ago and I'm already installing a few games. Tried a quick MLB the show game and honestly I don't see huge difference in my 4k monitor vs the PS4 version but I have to dig deeper.

I have been a Sony player since PS2 days but decided to jump wagon this generation because gamepass mainly that I already paid for PC (have 3 years already purchased using big discounts). The amount of available games that I have not played will keep me busy for years, and I no longer run to buy the latest games anyway as I'm tired with dealing with bugs for months until games are patched. Just by getting the show for free in gamepass has already saved me $70 vs buying it for PS4.

Any must play game? I'm currently downloading the Halo series, Gears 5 and Forza horizon 4 as I'm new to these franchises. Of course also NHL21, NBA2k and Battlefield V, that had also on PS4 and will replay. I'll even play FM21 but doubt will make the move from the PC version.

Last edited by Icy : 05-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #1020
GrantDawg

Quote:
The new college football game will be when I buy a new console. That is unless it comes out for PC.

Since I have been trying to play The Show, I think a new console maybe closer in my future than I predicted. The game is constantly crashing, and my controller keeps randomly disconnecting. I am close to throwing this old system into a river.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #1021
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Any must play game? I'm currently downloading the Halo series, Gears 5 and Forza horizon 4 as I'm new to these franchises. Of course also NHL21, NBA2k and Battlefield V, that had also on PS4 and will replay. I'll even play FM21 but doubt will make the move from the PC version.

Yeah, Game Pass is outstanding. I haven't bought a game since getting the Series X, everything is from Game Pass. The Fallout games, GTA 5, and Ace Combat are ones I'd recommend checking out in addition to the ones you have mentioned.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #1022
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Lots of news for the Dragon Quest Series.

Dragon Quest 12 is confirmed and it will have a darker story targeted more at adults.

Dragon Quest 3 is getting a "2D HD" remaster which will make it look like Octopath Traveller.

Dragon Quest 10 is getting an offline version but who knows if we'll finally get an English translation.

Dragon Quest Treasures is a spin-off starring Erik and Mia from DQ11.

And there's some mobile game I don't care about.

So yeah just take my money.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-28-2021 at 10:14 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #1023
GrantDawg

Quote:
Since I have been trying to play The Show, I think a new console maybe closer in my future than I predicted. The game is constantly crashing, and my controller keeps randomly disconnecting. I am close to throwing this old system into a river.
...And I picked up an Xbox S today.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #1024
RainMaker
General Manager

Finally got a PS5 (unless Best Buy cancels my order). Was the disc version but you get what you can at this point. Might pay for itself if I can buy games used for cheap.

Now to find a 4K TV that isn't enormous or extremely expensive.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #1025
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I don't know what your budget is, but if you want to future proof and get the best out of your new console make sure it has HDMI 2.1 and a 120Hz panel.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #1026
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but if you want to future proof and get the best out of your new console make sure it has HDMI 2.1 and a 120Hz panel.

Any recommendations in the 35-43 inch range? It is for a bedroom so I can't go too big. Seems like the 120hz is real pricey. Are the TV with the fake 120hz any good?
Old 06-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #1027
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Anything below the 48-50 inch range is going to limit you to pretty basic offerings. I'm not sure if HDMI 2.1 or 120Hz is available on any TV in that size range yet, nor do I have much advice other than I would probably stick with Samsung or Sony. If you want to splurge get a 48" OLED from LG.

The 5 Best 40-42-43 Inch TVs - Spring 2021: Reviews - RTINGS.com
Old 06-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #1028
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

This jabroni went all out lol. I don't think I've seen someone put a 77" in their bedroom before.

The bedroom with Sonos and 77 LG CX : sonos

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-04-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #1029
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

We got an OLED tv last year and the picture quality is insane. Highly recommended.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #1030
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
We got an OLED tv last year and the picture quality is insane. Highly recommended.

Yep, OLED is great and once you've got one you won't be able to go back to LED. I still baby each of mine a bit, but it really seems they've gotten burn-in issues under control since the 2018 models.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #1031
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah. I am now incredibly judgemental of other peoples' televisions after never really caring before. We like to throw on sensory videos on YouTube to help our daughter chill out prior to putting her down for the night, and when we're not at home the differences are crazy apparent.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #1032
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So there's been an apparent news leak of a "Marvel X-Com" game by Firaxis. While I'm sure this will be a great game I can't help but wonder when we'll see a proper X-Com 3.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #1033
RainMaker
General Manager

I've read OLED isn't great for video games because of burn-in.

That's a TV I would get for my living room where I watch most of my TV. But for the bedroom where I'm just playing games here and there, I don't think I want to drop $1000.

This is what confuses me:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-43-c...?skuId=6453968

60HZ, but then under specs it says:

Motion Enhancement Technology TruMotion 120

Is that just bullshit?
Old 06-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #1034
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd say that's bullshit.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #1035
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I would also vote bullshit for anything labeled "motion enhancement". The first thing I do with any new TV is dig into the options and turn off the half-dozen shitty audio and video 'enhancements' that are turned on by default.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #1036
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So there's been an apparent news leak of a "Marvel X-Com" game by Firaxis. While I'm sure this will be a great game I can't help but wonder when we'll see a proper X-Com 3.

Feels like this is the smarter business model for them, like many companies have found with DLC. Much easier and more profitable to put out a reskinned and even pared down game for $20 than to come up with enough changes and new IP to put out a full $40 game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #1037
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

As I said burn-in has largely been mitigated by panel improvements and other technology that has been implemented. There are lots of gamers using the LG OLEDs as they were the first to implement many of the gaming features. The only consumers that should probably avoid are people that don't mix content, ie have CNN on all day or people that play the exact same game 12 hours a day.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-04-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:05 PM   #1038
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep, I have a LG B7 OLED. No burn in at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #1039
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

This is a Day 1 purchase for me.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:22 AM   #1040
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
As I said burn-in has largely been mitigated by panel improvements and other technology that has been implemented. There are lots of gamers using the LG OLEDs as they were the first to implement many of the gaming features. The only consumers that should probably avoid are people that don't mix content, ie have CNN on all day or people that play the exact same game 12 hours a day.

Yeah. My parents have a OLED LG TV and the Fox News logo has been burned into their screen. While it’s sad that they watch that station and all - my mom loves her some Tucker - it’s terrifying just how much they must watch to get that burned in.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #1041
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah. My parents have a OLED LG TV and the Fox News logo has been burned into their screen. While it’s sad that they watch that station and all - my mom loves her some Tucker - it’s terrifying just how much they must watch to get that burned in.

The 2016 and 2017 models are at a much higher risk of getting having burn-in issues, so if they bought one in the 2016-2018 range that could partially explain it. Starting with the 2018 series they used larger red subpixels in the panels, which apparently made a huge difference.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #1042
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The 2016 and 2017 models are at a much higher risk of getting having burn-in issues, so if they bought one in the 2016-2018 range that could partially explain it. Starting with the 2018 series they used larger red subpixels in the panels, which apparently made a huge difference.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure they got theirs in 2017 or, at the latest, early 2018, so it could very well be the 2017 model.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #1043
21C
College Prospect

Old 06-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #1044
Thomkal
Head Coach

E3 took place this weekend, and looks like the games industry is thriving from all the buzz and trailers that were shown. Check out Gamespot's You Tube channel for a lot of the trailers and presentations. Two games that jumped out right away was a game based on the events of the Avatar movie and the continued development of Starfield. What stood out to you guys?
Old 06-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #1045
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
What stood out to you guys?

How uninteresting most of the releases are (as of this afternoon anyway, maybe something will stand out later)

I have zero confidence in Starfield after the F76 debacle. Vampires that taste like strawberries doesn't inspire me. And I was never a big Halo guy.

I figure I'll be forced into an X / S series next year but it's really getting close to being a toss up of whether I'll get my money's worth out of it (compared to previous gens)
Old 06-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #1046
Atocep
Coordinator

Starfield has a lot of potential, but Bethesda games tend to have to have the same issues and it's not even the bugs that bother me. What sucks is a 2022 release means 2024 or 2025 before we see another Elder Scrolls game.

Humankind is exciting

I'm curious to see if Dying Light 2 lives up to the potential with the money they've put into the story and open world.

I've been following 12 Minutes for about 3 years when it was a game being worked on by a a single person. It's crazy it's gone from that to a game voiced by Daisey Ridley and William Dafoe.

Wartales is looks amazing and immediately went onto my Steam Wishlist.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #1047
Atocep
Coordinator

I wasn't a huge fan of the original, but I want to give props to The Outer Worlds 2 for having the most honest E3 trailer ever made.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-13-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #1048
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How uninteresting most of the releases are (as of this afternoon anyway, maybe something will stand out later)

I have zero confidence in Starfield after the F76 debacle. Vampires that taste like strawberries doesn't inspire me. And I was never a big Halo guy.

I figure I'll be forced into an X / S series next year but it's really getting close to being a toss up of whether I'll get my money's worth out of it (compared to previous gens)

Most of the true "next gen" games seem so far away.

I will say though, the one HUGE thing I love about the XSX is I can load a game and start playing so much faster than I could on previous gen. My gaming time is limited to small chunks here and there and being able to get right into a game is great.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #1049
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
E3 took place this weekend, and looks like the games industry is thriving from all the buzz and trailers that were shown...

What stood out to you guys?

I need a better source for PC Game news.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #1050
korme
Go Reds

ESO just hit PS5 today, and while I haven't played it before and it is quite old by today's standards, there is an itch to try it I'm thinking of scratching. Anyone played/still playing this?