Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should you remove your hat during God Bless America at a sporting event?
Yes, it's respectful to country and/or troops 16 25.00%
Yes, it's traditional 2 3.13%
Yes, other 3 4.69%
No, it's not the National Anthem 26 40.63%
No, I don't take my hat off for anything 0 0%
No, I don't think "God Bless America" should be sung 9 14.06%
No, other 4 6.25%
Trout 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hats and God Bless America at Baseball Games (Poll)

What are your thoughts about removing your hat during the singing of God Bless America at sporting events like baseball games?

There's a little bit of a story that prompted this and we may get to it in the thread. But I don't want to start with the story to affect the results of the poll.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

This is always a thing for me as well.

I take my hat of for an Invocation/Prayer, and for the National Anthem and for the Pledge of Allegiance. Never have for GBA...not sure why. Always see others do it and makes me wonder why.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This is always a thing for me as well.

I take my hat of for an Invocation/Prayer, and for the National Anthem and for the Pledge of Allegiance. Never have for GBA...not sure why. Always see others do it and makes me wonder why.

This.

If others want to fine, if some old war vet told me to I would tell him to stick it.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-25-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

I only take my hat off for the National Anthem and that's mostly out of habit. It doesn't bother me one bit if someone else doesn't take off their hat. How an individual defines their patriotism and shows it, is their own business. Personally, I think it's silly to remove your hat, standing is plenty enough.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

I always take my hat off during the anthem. Think it might be habit at this point. Can't remember being at a game where GBA was sung though. Not sure what I'd do, probably just follow what others did.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't wear a hat - so I said other.

I don't see the reason to take one's hat off for the National Anthem either.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

I do it because mostly because it's easy, and because I don't want to be seen by others as making some anti-America statement. So in that way, I do it mostly to be respectful to those people, to whom that tradition means something.

I don't get the resistance to this or other customs generally. If I'm in some weird country and their custom says I don't pour booze into my own glass, or I take my shoes off at the door, or I don't wear shorts, I just fucking do it, it's no big sacrifice to me. I want them to know I respect them, so I'm willing to made accommodations, even if they make no sense to me. So whether it's the anthem, god bless america, a moment of silence for something, whatever, if pretty much anybody else is doing it, I'm doing it.

Last edited by molson : 08-25-2014 at 02:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was just curious if I were off base but it sounds like I'm with the early consensus. I'm also a mix of "not sung" and "still keeping hat on because it's not the National Anthem".

I was at the Rangers-Royals game on Saturday and they sang it. I stood up because it was the stretch but I didn't take off my hat. Some a-h woman behind me a few rows yelled "here, we take off our hats in respect". I just pretended to not hear but it did get me thinking.

However, mainly the line of thought is that it's another mark in my book of "Rangers fans are underrated in the ranks of bad baseball fans" as I have had a disproportionate rate of stupid interactions with them- they're not like Yankees/Red Sox/Cardinals bad but they're in that next tier. Present company excepted, of course - never had any issues on this board.

SI

Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Crap, I voted wrong, missed the "God Bless America" part. No, I would not take my hat off for it, I'm tired of this attempted grass-roots campaign to make it the National Anthem.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I don't see the reason to take one's hat off for the National Anthem either.

I think that's another interesting topic but I'd entertain the discussion. Is there a military convention stating to remove hat during the National Anthem? I know it's typically announced in a stadium (whereas it is not during God Bless America).

That said, I'll be honest in saying that I think that it's done by the majority mainly out of convention, peer pressure, or the desire to appear faux patriotic rather than out of true respect to troops or country.

SI

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I do it because mostly because it's easy, and because I don't want to be seen by others as making some anti-America statement. So in that way, I do it mostly to be respectful to those people, to whom that tradition means something.

I don't get the resistance to this or other customs generally. If I'm in some weird country and their custom says I don't pour booze into my own glass, or I take my shoes off at the door, or I don't wear shorts, I just fucking do it, it's no big sacrifice to me. I want them to know I respect them, so I'm willing to made accommodations, even if they make no sense to me.

But, what tradition? Where did it come from? It is a very recent phenomenon to play God Bless America at sporting events. People didn't seem to know what to do, but they figured they had to do something, so they started equating it with the national anthem, which I think devalues the meaning of the Star Spangled Banner.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-25-2014 at 02:17 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
"here, we take off our hats in respect"

That, right there, is one of the things that I despise about 'true patriots'. In my opinion, wearing or not wearing your hat is up to the individual, the individuals right to do it or not, which is EXACTLY what the freedom loving jingoists love to beat their jingo drum sticks about. But it's typical of people like that, it ain't THEIR kind of freedom, so what you're doing is wrong.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I think that's another interesting topic but I'd entertain the discussion. Is there a military convention stating to remove hat during the National Anthem? I know it's typically announced in a stadium (whereas it is not during God Bless America).

No, you do not take your hat off, you face the flag or face where the music is coming from, if you can not find the flag, and render a salute until the Anthem is over.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That said, I'll be honest in saying that I think that it's done by the majority mainly out of convention, peer pressure, or the desire to appear faux patriotic rather than out of true respect to troops or country.

SI

So I read a bit on why... and it seems to have started as kind of an offshoot of a salute. In medieval days they'd raise their visor or take off helmets as a salute (also it would mean you could wield a weapon at the same time - or it'd be in your off hand). So its supposed to come from that?

Though I wonder if (and I'd imagine we had) we've had people yell at folks who were Jewish or Muslim refuse to take off religious headwear during the Anthem or God Bless America?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Blackadar
Retired

I won't even rise for it. I'm not saying or supporting a public prayer for the country.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

Hah the Pledge of Allegiance is a bunch of bullshit. National Anthem is awesome and I am totally happy to remove my hat and sing along.

God Bless America is a pretty great song, but it isn't the Star Spangled Banner, so I think it probably has less formal traditions connected to it. I am fine removing my hat, but I wouldn't look sideways at some dumbass hillbilly that forgets to do it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I won't even rise for it. I'm not saying or supporting a public prayer for the country.

Booya - I like the way you're thinkin mr!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I suggest you don't read the final verse of "The Star Spangled Banner" then .
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Booya - I like the way you're thinkin mr!

I'll rise and be respectful for the National Anthem.

Playing God Bless America is a blatant attempt to force feed religion down everyone's throats in the name of patriotism. I have zero tolerance for that. It's mostly a MLB thing, and so I don't encounter it much.

I'd rather them play This Land is Your Land by Woodie Guthrie.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather not have glorification of war forced down the throats of everyone myself, but what ya gonna do?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Good call.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I'd rather not have glorification of war forced down the throats of everyone myself, but what ya gonna do?
SSB doesn't glorify war as much as it glorifies KICKING THE SHIT OUT OF THE BRITISH.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Most of these sorts of traditions rise out of jingoism during wartime

SI

Old 08-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

like with many things, fear drives me to mirror the actions of those around me. if people are standing and saluting, i will typically follow. but it is not because i have a strong desire to show respect or honor some tradition. my primary drivers in life are laziness and fear. so if i feel unwatched, i will probably opt for the laziest available option (not standing, not saluting, not paying attention).
Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
But, what tradition? Where did it come from? It is a very recent phenomenon to play God Bless America at sporting events. People didn't seem to know what to do, but they figured they had to do something, so they started equating it with the national anthem, which I think devalues the meaning of the Star Spangled Banner.

No idea where it came from, but if fans started removing their caps for the mascot race I'd probably remove mine too. I just don't care either way, at least in the context of a night out at the stadium.

If were something that mattered to me, then I'd choose my actions more carefully. Like I wouldn't stand and applaud Michael Vick or Ray Rice throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #26
Danny
Head Coach

I have fantastic hair so I don't wear hats
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Most of these sorts of traditions rise out of jingoism during wartime

SI

Or... God (see UK anthem) .
Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I have fabulous hair so I don't wear hats

FTFY
Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
SSB doesn't glorify war as much as it glorifies KICKING THE SHIT OUT OF THE BRITISH.

I think of it more as glorifying taking your opponent's best shot and still standing tall.

Along that vein, yesterday was the 200th anniversary of the Brits setting fire to the White House and Capitol. I hope everyone marked the occasion by kicking the nearest Brit!
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I have fantastic hair so I don't wear hats

My hair line makes me look 15 years older, so I do.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't care about the religious stuff in it, I just don't understand why it's part of a baseball game. The anthem before a game is sort of weird when you think about it but it's become such a tradition that it's just something we do. But the God Bless America isn't a tradition and really has nothing to do with the baseball game so not sure why it's done. Can't people just go and watch a baseball game?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It kind of spontaneously became a thing after 9/11 and has stuck since. So it is indeed a new tradition.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #33
miked
College Starter

If they really wanted people to show their patriotism, they should play "Living in America" and show clips from Rocky IV on the jumbotron.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

I echo the cultural consistency of molson here, so yes, I would remove my hat, and always stand/remove my hat during the national anthem, and would do the same if God Bless America were played. I also find people who don't incredibly rude. And those that actually talk during the singing are people who automatically drop in my esteem (exception being of course something like employees in charging of running the event and need to address/relay an issue that's come up or some such thing).

That said, GBA is enough of a grey area that I wouldn't be that bothered by not standing/removing caps. I still find talking during it to be a fairly severe breach of etiquette, though.

*Should* GBA be played? Probably not - it seems overkill - but I'm not going to list as that as my answer, because the Yes, Other is a more appropriate descriptor of my immediate reaction.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Removing your hat is simply a sign of respect. It's not ever mandatory to do it, but some people do because "God Bless America" means something to them. If it doesn't mean anything to you, or you don't want to show additional respect, no worries, keep your ushanka on, we won't send you to the gulag for that, comrade...but we'll probably take your photo and perhaps sneak a dna sample, muhahaha...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #36
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
My hair line makes me look 15 years older, so I do.

My hair line has receded a bit the past couple years. Still not bad but I got to flaunt it before it does.

Last edited by Danny : 08-25-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #37
Dutch
"Dutch"

I started shaving my head 2 weeks ago and I'm a baldy from here on out...but I do still like my hats!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #38
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll rise and be respectful for the National Anthem.

Playing God Bless America is a blatant attempt to force feed religion down everyone's throats in the name of patriotism. I have zero tolerance for that. It's mostly a MLB thing, and so I don't encounter it much.

Lighten up Francis...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #39
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Along that vein, yesterday was the 200th anniversary of the Brits setting fire to the White House and Capitol. I hope everyone marked the occasion by kicking the nearest Brit!

Of at least did after this:

British Embassy celebrates the 200th anniversary of burning the White House | The Verge
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #40
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was just curious if I were off base but it sounds like I'm with the early consensus. I'm also a mix of "not sung" and "still keeping hat on because it's not the National Anthem".

I was at the Rangers-Royals game on Saturday and they sang it. I stood up because it was the stretch but I didn't take off my hat. Some a-h woman behind me a few rows yelled "here, we take off our hats in respect". I just pretended to not hear but it did get me thinking.

However, mainly the line of thought is that it's another mark in my book of "Rangers fans are underrated in the ranks of bad baseball fans" as I have had a disproportionate rate of stupid interactions with them- they're not like Yankees/Red Sox/Cardinals bad but they're in that next tier. Present company excepted, of course - never had any issues on this board.

SI

I can't remember the last time I heard God bless America at a Cards game. I remember around 9-11 and probably during playoffs and stuff but the 7th inning stretch has just been Take me out to the ballgame. But of course we are the best fans in America.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #41
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Not to threadjack either but I would guess most people are in the conformist category and don't want attention drawn to themselves. Same reason children across the country say the pledge every morning. (Especially the edited version adding God)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It kind of spontaneously became a thing after 9/11 and has stuck since. So it is indeed a new tradition.

The history of the national anthem in sports - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Well, and that's the thing about the National Anthem: it was basically something spontaneous which became a "tradition", too. It just happened 100 years ago so now we see it treated in this thread with a certain reverence

SI

Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I can't remember the last time I heard God bless America at a Cards game. I remember around 9-11 and probably during playoffs and stuff but the 7th inning stretch has just been Take me out to the ballgame. But of course we are the best fans in America.

Your fans sins are legion. One correct decision does not make up for that

SI

Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #44
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Ha! That's hilarious, well done UK embassy.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #45
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

That's pretty funny and it's too bad the faux outrage brigade had to ruin it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 AM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Anthem is so out of control that I typically use that time to use the restroom. Not a fan of everyone attempting to do his or her best impression of Whitney Houston. Much prefer when it's instrumental.

GBA is a bad tradition.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #47
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Lighten up Francis...

No. Acquiescing so a large, vocal minority can force their beliefs on everyone else isn't the American way. Overt attempts to make everyone religious is poor form.