Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #201
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just wonder what the defender was thinking? There was no one around him, so why not try to 'recover' the ball and if you are 'clumsy' in doing so and it goes out of bounds, well... oops, instead of the obvious bat.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #202
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I just wonder what the defender was thinking? There was no one around him, so why not try to 'recover' the ball and if you are 'clumsy' in doing so and it goes out of bounds, well... oops, instead of the obvious bat.

I assume you that if you don't know the rule, which a lot of people didn't (players included), the quick reaction is along the lines of "don't be a hero" stuff we see elsewhere...go down immediately after the game-saving INT so you won't get stripped on a return, stay in bounds instead of fighting for extra yards and possibly stopping the clock, fall on a fumble instead of trying for a scoop and score, etc. If there is no rule for illegal batting, knocking it away would be the safest play when you're that close to the end line.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I assume you that if you don't know the rule, which a lot of people didn't (players included), the quick reaction is along the lines of "don't be a hero" stuff we see elsewhere...go down immediately after the game-saving INT so you won't get stripped on a return, stay in bounds instead of fighting for extra yards and possibly stopping the clock, fall on a fumble instead of trying for a scoop and score, etc. If there is no rule for illegal batting, knocking it away would be the safest play when you're that close to the end line.

But how in the world do players NOT know the rule? I mean, it's not like it's never been called. I know it -- as I mentioned I see it in high school pretty much every year for several decades -- and it's not my livelihood involved.

Pro-football-reference.com shows it called
3x in 2010, 1x in 2011, 1x in 2012, 2x in 2013, 0x in 2014.

I assumed that the reason it wasn't as frequent at the NFL level was because everybody knew the rule. Silly me.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #204
Logan
Head Coach

Well, a prominent starting QB didn't know that games could end in a tie a few years back. I doubt he was alone.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #205
cmp
Pro Rookie

Players not knowing games could end in ties has always baffled me.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #206
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Players not knowing games could end in ties has always baffled me.

Or a coach who would rather have the wind than the ball...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #207
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'll admit I didn't remember there was a rule against it (and I almost certainly watched the Dolphins/Patriots game it was called in). I guess the only similar plays I can remember involve punters batting or kicking the ball out of the end zone, where I assume they were called for a penalty but it just didn't matter because the result (Safety) was the same either way.

Ever since the Patriots 2005 playoff loss to the Broncos I've thought it a little weird that offensive fumbles OOB near the goal line can be such a huge swing. 6 inches on a bounce can be the difference between 1st & goal at the 1 instead of the other team's ball on the 20.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #208
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Given the direction of the bat...had it occurred in the field of play (goal line to goal line) it would have been legal. It is legal to bat the ball towards your own goal line, but you can't bat the ball in any direction in the end zone.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #209
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Seems like Philbin had completely lost the team and part of it seems like he was babying Tannehill...

Joe Philbin’s last practice showed he had lost control | ProFootballTalk

Glad Philbin is gone. I'd almost add a year to Campbell's deal and drop the interim tag, so no one gets the idea that they can coast the rest of this year. They could still just fire him in the offseason and go in a different direction if it doesn't work out.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #210
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Seems like Philbin had completely lost the team and part of it seems like he was babying Tannehill...

Joe Philbin’s last practice showed he had lost control | ProFootballTalk

Glad Philbin is gone. I'd almost add a year to Campbell's deal and drop the interim tag, so no one gets the idea that they can coast the rest of this year. They could still just fire him in the offseason and go in a different direction if it doesn't work out.

I would argue that Philbin lost the team during the Jonathan Martin & Richie Incognito incident. The players were running the show in Miami until yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #211
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Berman: What do you do, Tom?
Jackson: BAT IT DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I mentioned I see it in high school pretty much every year for several decades

These guys haven't been around for several decades and I'm guessing they haven't watched all that many games that they weren't participating in. I know I didn't learn this when I was playing, and I didn't think anything of the bat real-time, other than "hmm, smart play." If I think more about it I guess I can envision times when punts have gone wrong or a QB shoves the ball out - in which case it's just a safety either way (and better than a possible defensive TD) - but didn't really think of it in terms of the defense doing it.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-06-2015 at 08:31 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #212
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm waiting for Goodell to suspend Brady over the allegations that he illegally paid practice squad players when they intercepted a pass. That should be worth at least six weeks and a first-round pick.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I must be a rules nerd, because I knew that was a "bat" as soon as I saw it.

Shame for Detroit, but that was a very Lions way to lose.

I feel a kinship with you Lions fans, I felt pretty bad that they lost like that.

You should have been the back judge, Butterman!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill admits ripping scout squad, denies belittling teammate's paycheck

So he admits saying something, just not the paycheck line.

""To put words into my mouth that I didn't say, to degrade my reputation and what I stand for -- honestly it's sickening to me,""

And now he knows how Dolphins fans feel about watching him regress to basically his rookie season numbers.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #215
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well if St. Louis gets a new stadium, at least they have a sponsor for it now...

Proposed NFL stadium in St. Louis secures naming rights deal
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #216
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well if St. Louis gets a new stadium, at least they have a sponsor for it now...

Proposed NFL stadium in St. Louis secures naming rights deal

Proposed Rams Stadium Would Cost Taxpayers A Hell Of A Lot More Than Promised

While still paying $6 mil a year on the Edward Jones Dome.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #217
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I have a feeling this will end with the Rams staying in St. Louis, the Chargers in LA and Kroenke kicking in money towards the Rams stadium. I see the Spanos' family ending up owning the Rams and Kroenke the Chargers.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #218
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill admits ripping scout squad, denies belittling teammate's paycheck

So he admits saying something, just not the paycheck line.

""To put words into my mouth that I didn't say, to degrade my reputation and what I stand for -- honestly it's sickening to me,""

And now he knows how Dolphins fans feel about watching him regress to basically his rookie season numbers.

What the Hell was Philbin doing down there? Was he literally just collecting a paycheck until they figured out he was in way over his head?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #219
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Fisher is the real beneficiary of the conflict as nobody has time to notice what a poor to mediocre coach he is
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote