Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2024, 06:16 PM   #1
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

Mr Southgate's Path (FM 15)

Hello, everybody.

The recent European championships have put me in the mood to play some Football Manager. I've played this wonderful game off and on over the last decade or so. I've also read a number of wonderful dynasty stories based on FM, both recent creations like Brixton FC's and classics from the past. I've thought about contributing a story of my own, but I've never come up with a "hook" I found intriguing enough to pursue.

Today, Gareth Southgate gave me an idea.

Southgate resigned his position as manager of England's senior men's national football team, after an eight-year run that made him one of the Three Lions' most successful bosses of all time. I began to wonder how I would fare as the (virtual) England manager.

I own several editions of Football Manager. The one that's closest to Southgate's 2016 debut is FM 15, so that's the one I'm choosing. In the summer of 2014, when the story begins, Southgate was England's Under 21s manager. So, that's the job my managerial alter ego will take.

My goal will be to follow Gareth's career path and become manager of England at some point in my manager's career. I won't rule out the possibility of taking other international jobs along the way, if that's what it takes to keep my career alive.

I've never managed an international team in Football Manager at the senior level, much less at the U21 level. Therefore, I have no idea what tasks will fall to me as I begin my career. We'll find out together as our story begins.

I'll be back soon to introduce you to our main character. I hope some of you will find this story intriguing enough to read, and I hope I'll tell it well enough to keep your interest.

The Three Lions await us...

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 09:10 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Be forewarned: International management in this era of FM is obnoxious to play and quite tedious.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 09:13 PM   #3
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Be forewarned: International management in this era of FM is obnoxious to play and quite tedious.

Thanks for the warning! Is it better in later iterations of the game? I have some of those editions, too.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:15 PM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightGraham View Post
Thanks for the warning! Is it better in later iterations of the game? I have some of those editions, too.

I don't know. Last version I played with any seriousness is 16. Disliked 18 so much I haven't bought an FM since

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 09:28 PM   #5
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I don't know. Last version I played with any seriousness is 16. Disliked 18 so much I haven't bought an FM since

I appreciate the information. I think I'll give it a try anyway. The worst that can happen is losing the time I spent figuring out you were right.
Old 07-16-2024, 10:05 PM   #6
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

July 2014

As our story begins, Graham Sims is 35 years old.

Graham enjoyed a very successful playing career, establishing himself as a first choice at center back for England over the course of almost a decade. He could have played for the Netherlands--his mother's home country--but he chose to represent the nation of his birth.

I decided to create manager Graham with qualities that might realistically earn him a shot at coaching England. The English FA would never hire a manager with Sunday League experience. Graham is a full international who has completed all his coaching badges. Therefore, his ratings are high from Day One.

Old 07-16-2024, 11:54 PM   #7
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

As our story begins, England are nearly through with the qualifying stage for the European U21 Championship. It appears we have two of our 10 group stage matches left to play: away to Northern Ireland and at home against Liechtenstein, in early September.

Spain have already clinched a spot in the Playoff. We lost to the Spanish 0-1 and home and 0-2 away, and we also played a disappointing goalless draw in Latvia before routing them, 5-0, at home.
Old 07-17-2024, 10:19 AM   #8
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Following