Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #451
cougarfreak
College Starter

I checked out Hulu plus' list of videos, and maybe it's the way you have to look through them, but it seems like they don't have anywhere near the selection of streaming that netflix does. Anybody have someplace I can see a side by side?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #452
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I got a free 6 months of Hulu Plus recently for activating my TiVo. Probably going to drop the streaming part of my Netflix if it is any good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #453
tarcone
Coordinator

I just watched Winter Bone. Very good movie.
The scary part about it is that I live in Missouri and I swear I saw my wifes step family. Specifically, my wifes step-sisters husbands family. No kidding.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #454
Dreghorn2
n00b

'Enter the Void'

A very very uniquely directed film. Definitely not for everyone, but if you are interested in viewing an innovative film regarding a cutting edge subject check it out. Read the Netflix comments section to discover what the film is really about. IMDB description is misleading at best.

Again as mentioned not for everyone.. i repeat not for everyone

Last edited by Dreghorn2 : 09-04-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #455
McLovin
Mascot

"Moon". 2009 Sci-Fi thriller starring Sam Rockwell and the voice of Kevin Spacey as GERTY the robot. Pretty cool flick, really enjoyed it.

Sorry... DVD only. Anyway, if you get dvds , watch this.

Last edited by McLovin : 09-04-2011 at 08:33 PM.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #456
QuikSand
lolzcat

Probably worthy of its own thread, but the takeaway I have from "Forks Over Knives" (and a pretty fair exposure to the several principals behind this way of thinking) is basically along these lines:

-There is very strong evidence that a diet heavy in meat and dairy creates a much stronger opportunity for heart disease in its many forms, at least many types of cancer, and a number of other diseases. There is a great deal more to the "plant based, whole foods" dietary approach than just losing weight.

-The strongest evidence, it seems to me, is that casein (a protein found in dairy products) in particular is a pretty serious hazard. I happen to agree that there's some degree of unwarranted interpolation from casein to other animal-based proteins or diets. But I also dissent from any judgment that this possibly premature set of conclusions are inherently wrong because of the zeal some people obviously have behind them.

-The data set from the so-called "China Study" (a long term study of health and nutrition conducted across China starting in the 1970s) leads in a number of sometimes conflicting directions, and this is not a shock, but there are a pretty substantial number of very, very strong correlations that point in the same direction -- the availability and consumption of animal products in the diet is a strong indicator of the prevalence of a wide variety of serious long term diseases. There truly are case after case of afflictions that are widespread in more affluent areas and are virtually absent in poorer areas (whose citizens eat far fewer animal products, but are genetically inseparable from the others).

-Beyond the highest profile studies and the cross-national scatterplots, there are really scary tidibits that point very directly to us (the public) really not getting it right on this sort of thing. For most of my life, I've been under the impression that the heart disease in my family is just a tough hand I've been dealt, and that I am likely on a progression toward real problems there (understanding that my lifestyle choices play some role, but figuring a life with heavy medication is in my present and future no matter what). Then you learn that autopsies in youngish Americans who die of unrelated causes already show early signs of heart disease... while autopsies of people from non-animal-eating cultures show essentially *none* of these signs at any age. Great pithy statement for the debate: if you're a cardiologist and you move out into rural china where nobody eats much meat, milk, or butter... you're basically going to have to sell pencils for a living, you're not going to have anything to do.

-Probably the single most consolidated fact that is deeply hard to dispute is this one: nutritionally speaking, there's basically nothing you get from eating animal products that isn't better for you coming from plants. Yes, a completely plant-based diet may require some vitamin B12 or other modest supplements, but all in all, there's really no contest at all, and virtually everyone acknowledges this.

-Amidst all this, I think the healthful effects of a much-reduced consumption of animal proteins, especially dairy, is very strongly supported. What I don't see enough clear evidence for is the health-driven necessity of going to absolute zero. The most powerful changes seem to take place when going from "high animal" to "low animal" content in the diet. This isn't as thrilling to the animal rights side of the debate, who really really want to have strong science behind their pre-existing viewpoint... but thus far there doesn't seem to be a powerful case (to me) that an absolute vegan diet is separable from one where, say, 5% of your calories come from animal proteins (still far lower than our standard diet here, of course).

-There's a quandary in the medical and scientific and regulatory communities over what to do about this. Do you advise people that they should make seemingly radical changes to diet and lifestyle? Or do you try to get them to make less drastic changes that are admittedly more likely to take root? (This takes the shape of a doctor-patient conversation, all the way up to the development of the national "food pyramid" guidelines) I think I depart from many of the true believers on these matters in acknowledging this is a legitimately tough call in many ways.

-Politics of health care subsidies set aside for the moment, it's an almost scary notion that there might well be a fairly simple, readily/universally available, and practically dirt-cheap means to very nearly wipe out heart disease, and to at least substantially (if not massively) deplete the prevalence of many cancers and long-term diseases like diabetes, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and the like. Not a way to do it in Sweden or in rural China in the 70s, but right here and right now.

I think it's a very intriguing area of exploration right now. And all told, I think there's a significant chance that what our society saw with smoking over the last 30-40 years could happen next to animal consumption, at least in part.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #457
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really enjoyed 'The Grand'. It's a mocumentary along the lines of 'Best in Show' or 'Waiting for Guffman'. Big name cast that did a really nice job.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #458
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Got an e-mail from netflix that said Breaking Bad is now available instantly. I am already 3 epiosodes into season 1 on a rewatch. If you have never seen this show you really should try it out. I bet you get hooked by the third epiosode.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #459
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Got an e-mail from netflix that said Breaking Bad is now available instantly. I am already 3 epiosodes into season 1 on a rewatch. If you have never seen this show you really should try it out. I bet you get hooked by the third epiosode.

Been waiting for this.

Excellent...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #460
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

Awesome news, thanks. This might mark a great direction for the streaming service -- if they try to become the vehicle of choice for the cognoscenti, so to speak. Don't necessarily worry too much about getting the rights to broadcast Two and a Half Men, but instead go for the lesser pubbed, critically acclaimed shows that not everyone got in on from the beginning. If you become the place where I can get out and see shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and over time more like them, you've probably got in me a customer for life. Next up, Justified (though I'm already a ground-floor guy there).

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-13-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #461
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I put my netflix on hold about a month ago- but this alone could be enough to get me back- is it all of the seasons? (We just started watching the series, and are a couple episodes into season 2)
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #462
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Awesome news, thanks. This might mark a great direction for the streaming service -- if they try to become the vehicle of choice for the cognoscenti, so to speak. Don't necessarily worry too much about getting the rights to broadcast Two and a Half Men, but instead go for the lesser pubbed, critically acclaimed shows that not everyone got in on from the beginning. If you become the place where I can get out and see shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and over time more like them, you've probably got in me a customer for life. Next up, Justified (though I'm already a ground-floor guy there).

+1000000

I've gotten on a "no new shows" on first run rule the last few years.

1. I watch too much TV in the fall/winter as it is, trying to cut back.
2. Too many shows I really liked get cancelled.

This allows me to use my spring/summer to watch shows that I didn't get on, were very good, and get some length to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #463
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I put my netflix on hold about a month ago- but this alone could be enough to get me back- is it all of the seasons? (We just started watching the series, and are a couple episodes into season 2)

It is the first 3 seasons. (Obviously not the current one)
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #464
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I watched Justified for a few epiosdes (love Seth Bullock from Deadwood and Shane from the Shield) but couldn't get into it. It was entertaining but it kind of seemed like a procedural that always tied up lose ends every show. I've heard it really steps up in season 2. Did you enjoy it from the beginning or experience the same thing?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #465
Barkeep49
Coordinator

It took about half way through season 1 before they got the show. Season 2 they got it the whole way and was just lights out fantastic. But Season 1 really does pick-up about half way through.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #466
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think it's a very intriguing area of exploration right now. And all told, I think there's a significant chance that what our society saw with smoking over the last 30-40 years could happen next to animal consumption, at least in part.

I think you're on to something here. It doesn't seem "fun", but it does seem sensible to cut way back on the calories from meat and dairy.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #467
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I think you're on to something here. It doesn't seem "fun", but it does seem sensible to cut way back on the calories from meat and dairy.

I ate a meat lover's pizza last night. It was fantastic.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #468
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
It took about half way through season 1 before they got the show. Season 2 they got it the whole way and was just lights out fantastic. But Season 1 really does pick-up about half way through.

Pretty much agreed, though I liked the characters fairly early on.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #470
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After the stock analysts ripped 'em a new one a few days ago, looks like they're starting to get the message ... or maybe not. "Qwikster"? WTF?

http://blog.netflix.com/
Old 09-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #471
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm sorry, this is one of the most retarded moves I've seen in a long time.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #472
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Twitterverse doesn't seem to love it. I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I mean, if it doesn't work..they can't fold it back in. But I guess we'll see. Seems that the CEO understands how his business works internally and surely must know something that we don't.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #474
AgustusM
College Prospect

I must say I am shocked and disappointed. I was a very early adopter of Netflix signing up when the site launched. I have been loyal and have never left. I have been and advocate of the company for years, always recommending it. I shrugged at the price increase of a few weeks ago - I believe the service is an absolute bargain even at the increased price. I have been completely impressed with the Netflix corporate culture and think the strategy of putting Netflix on almost any device has been brilliant.

However this move, makes absolutely no sense to me and I hope is not the day Netflix died. One of the real joys of Netflix was seeing the "play" button in your queue for a movie that was previously DVD only. From a consumer standpoint they made everything harder. From a business standpoint Netflix the brand has taken a massive hit and Quickster the brand doesn’t even exist. The only real add I see is a duplication of what I already get from gamefly, years too late to make a difference.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #475
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #476
JPhillips
General Manager

Would it be that hard to call the different divisions Netflix Streaming and Netflix by Mail or something similar and keep a hold of a brand name that's become ubiquitous? Everybody knows Netflix. Nobody's ever heard of Quickster.

And what are they going to do when the Postal Service cuts back on services?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #477
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Would it be that hard to call the different divisions Netflix Streaming and Netflix by Mail or something similar and keep a hold of a brand name that's become ubiquitous? Everybody knows Netflix. Nobody's ever heard of Quickster.

And what are they going to do when the Postal Service cuts back on services?

I figure they can let Quickster die if mail dies with it and carry on. Anyway, they are getting hammered on the blog post. Reed, the author, posts in reply to some of it, but the barbarians are at the gate.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #478
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratches head & ponders} Could this be the precursor to selling off the DVD unit at some point?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #479
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I shrugged off the the price increase as well. But the loss of one stop convenience likely means I'm going to re-evaluate my subscriptions.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #480
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I shrugged off the the price increase as well. But the loss of one stop convenience likely means I'm going to re-evaluate my subscriptions.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #481
wade moore
lolzcat

Well, this makes me not regret ditching mail with the recent price increases.

Outside of what Jon said (selling off the DVD unit), I'm baffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #482
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
One of the real joys of Netflix was seeing the "play" button in your queue for a movie that was previously DVD only. From a consumer standpoint they made everything harder. From a business standpoint Netflix the brand has taken a massive hit and Quickster the brand doesn’t even exist. The only real add I see is a duplication of what I already get from gamefly, years too late to make a difference.

This.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #483
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #484
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Indeed. It makes no sense. Unless they are selling off the DVD service (in which case, having it seemless integrate with streaming wouldn't be an option any more).

Quickster is just a dumb name though.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #485
Easy Mac

I just perpetually sign up for blockbuster free trials. I'm on my like 6th free trial in a row. Just slightly change the address and e-mail. 3 my mail with free instore exchange (store is 5 minutes from my house.

Also, the blockbuster kiosk in my publix always has free codes, so I don't really have a need for netflix.

Reminds me, I need to put the cancel in my calendar for next week.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #486
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
So, the Netflix approach to fixing what they needlessly broke is to make things more convoluted and less user friendly? They may need to start wearing helmets around the offices.

Incredibly, the email starts off with an apology about the way they handled the price increase (splitting services), then takes a huge dump on the costumers by announcing they are splitting the web site. As someone else mentioned, I think this is the day Netflix dies.

I was just looking through their list of mostly b movies wondering if it was really worth it anymore, especially if they are losing the Starz content in January.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #487
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
Incredibly, the email starts off with an apology about the way they handled the price increase (splitting services), then takes a huge dump on the costumers by announcing they are splitting the web site. As someone else mentioned, I think this is the day Netflix dies.

I was just looking through their list of mostly b movies wondering if it was really worth it anymore, especially if they are losing the Starz content in January.

yes I also found that extremely bizarre. The post started with "my bad we get it, we are sorry" and went on to "but that was nothing, wait till you get a load of this crap"

one of the most disappointing things about this for me is at least in my mind Netflix was a top notch company until I read this. I had a friend who had interviewed there and he shared with me this excellent power point deck they had but together that outlined a very forward and employee favorable place to work.

will be very interesting to see what happens next.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #488
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It's pretty clear that they don't want the DVD service anymore. This is just the first step: basically take their name off it completely.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #489
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What? It makes great sense.

Allows both sides of the business (which are distinctly different) to focus on what they do / their particular challenges.

Sets up Netflix to potentially acquire Hulu and become dominant in that space without having to worry about the overhead of the Quickster side of the business (although WTF...that is a horrid name).

Great move.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #490
AgustusM
College Prospect

Plus I do see the wisdom, need, vision, everything in Netflix being a streaming only company. At this point with technology there is no reason technically why every show ever made shouldn't be available on every device at any time. (and pretty much is if you are willing to go the pirate route)

We do NEED that as consumers. The problem is we are nowhere near that point because we need to figure out how to adequately compensate the content creators, so they continue to have incentive to create the content.

Netflix as perfectly positioned to be this company - But this last month knocks them back and opens the door for Apple, Google, or someone else to step into this valuable space.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #491
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
It's pretty clear that they don't want the DVD service anymore. This is just the first step: basically take their name off it completely.

which would be fine if their streaming division was more robust and growing - not small and getting smaller (the starz issue.) Less than 30% of my personal que is available on streaming and I far prefer streaming to DVD as pretty much anyone with a decent broadband would.

They have to get out of the DVD business, but it makes far more sense to do so when their streaming is more robust. On streaming alone they currently are not far and away superior to other competitors. I see apple or Google throwing considerable resources behind this and taking over the market.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #492
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
On streaming alone they currently are not far and away superior to other competitors.

Who offers more at a lower flat rate?

I didn't mind the price increases, but if I have to go to a different site and maintain a seperate queue I'm open to other streaming options.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #493
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What? It makes great sense.

Allows both sides of the business (which are distinctly different) to focus on what they do / their particular challenges.

Sets up Netflix to potentially acquire Hulu and become dominant in that space without having to worry about the overhead of the Quickster side of the business (although WTF...that is a horrid name).

Great move.

The fact that you are for this, makes me feel comfortable in my opinion that this is a horrible move.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #494
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quickster makes me think of Friendster. Uh oh.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #495
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
The fact that you are for this, makes me feel comfortable in my opinion that this is a horrible move.

LOL - to be fair I'm for this from a business-perspective.

I've never used Netflix (am I what...one of 5 people in America who can say that?) so I have no thoughts on it from a user-perspective.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #496
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just wonder if they even tested this name. Quickster sounds like the name of some 80s hair metal band that JIMGA and Ksyrup love.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #497
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I made the break from the DVD segment official for me a few minutes ago. Hardly ever used it anyway. As someone mentioned, I think the disconnect could push me to the Blockbuster option as we still do have a store here in town. Could use streaming while being able to pick up some of the more recent options. I'm guessing it will be cheaper too.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #498
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I don't really see a problem with what they are doing, although I will admit it could have been handled better. Splitting off the DVD aspect of things makes sense from a business perspective, as they are clearly looking to sell it off or move away from it at some point. The price increase doesn't bother me at all, I already planned on dumping the DVD service because of Redbox and such, we just don't have the need to order movies every month through the mail, and we utilize the streaming services fairly often.

I tend to agree with DT, and I wonder if people sometimes just like to complain about something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #500
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{scratches head & ponders} Could this be the precursor to selling off the DVD unit at some point?

I would say that, or eventually bankrupt and liquidate without hurting the streaming business.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote