Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #301
Logan
Head Coach

I'll only go if Snoop is not attending. That thing terrifies me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #302
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This sure would be amazing to go to:

http://www.ellafund.org/events.html

thanks! just booked 2 tickets as a thank you to 2 people who i owe big. its their favorite show.

i wish i could go, too.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #303
QuikSand
lolzcat

We may have to get to that as well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #304
primelord
Pro Rookie

What's up with so many actors from The Wire making cameos on Numb3rs? What is the connection between these shows? In recent weeks Bunk, Avon, Lt. Daniels, Wee-Bay and Chris have all made appearances. I may even be forgetting some.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 AM   #305
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord View Post
What's up with so many actors from The Wire making cameos on Numb3rs? What is the connection between these shows? In recent weeks Bunk, Avon, Lt. Daniels, Wee-Bay and Chris have all made appearances. I may even be forgetting some.

I love it when that happens....like how everybody from Oz ended up on one of the eight different Law & Orders. The Wire's also got at least a dozen players who appeared on Oz at one time, although a connection between HBO shows is somewhat less than surprising.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #306
spleen1015
Coordinator

I saw the red headed DA screaming about saving her son on a preview for The Closer.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #307
QuikSand
lolzcat

Nice puff piece from the WashPost today about wrapping the final scenes...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...v=rss_metro/md
Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #308
Logan
Head Coach

I get excited whenever I see this thread bumped, kinda like the Stalls thread.

I'm going to assume that you wouldn't have posted that if there were any spoilers in it...correct?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #309
ausonny
High School Varsity

No spoilers other than the overall theme of the season and the mention of a new character and his character traits. Also I guess a spoiler to know who was still shooting on the final day, so I guess the assumption could be made their characters are still alive.
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #310
Logan
Head Coach

Great read, thanks. I'm really going to miss this show when it's over, but those DVDs will never leave my side.

Love this quote from the article:

Quote:
Actors wandered in with their families, while Andre Royo, who played Bubbles, ran around, dressed like a newspaper peddler, handing out copies of a fake newspaper, "The Wire," with a giant headline: "HBO SERIES WRAPS PRODUCTION: Fifth season concludes in Baltimore; Emmy voters will be given one last shot to get it right."

edit: Nice spoiler...final episode will be an hour and a half .

Last edited by Logan : 09-03-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #311
Pyser
Pro Rookie

FANTASTIC Wire article, focusing on David Simon

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...?currentPage=1
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #312
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

They are running the seasons on HBO in demand up to season 5. They are on season 2 right now. I didn't like it as much when I first saw it, but it grew on me the second time through.

One question though: Why did the Greek tip off his FBI contact about the Columbian drug shipment (the one disguised as paint pigments?) Two viewings and I still don't understand that.

Edit: For clarifications sake, when I say I didn't like season 2 much, that is in relation to the other seasons. Season 2 is still better than anything else on TV.

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 11-05-2007 at 02:35 PM.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #313
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow, that's one really good article.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #314
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
They are running the seasons on HBO in demand up to season 5. They are on season 2 right now. I didn't like it as much when I first saw it, but it grew on me the second time through.

One question though: Why did the Greek tip off his FBI contact about the Columbian drug shipment (the one disguised as paint pigments?) Two viewings and I still don't understand that.

Edit: For clarifications sake, when I say I didn't like season 2 much, that is in relation to the other seasons. Season 2 is still better than anything else on TV.
The Colombians were supposed to pay 1million for the chemicals Sobotka (the nephew) stole, and were trying to get away with only paying 200k.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #315
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post

I believe the Greek was paying back the federal agent with a gift-wrapped big bust for the intel he provides. It was almost certainly a competitor's shipment.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #316
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I believe the Greek was paying back the federal agent with a gift-wrapped big bust for the intel he provides. It was almost certainly a competitor's shipment.

Right, it's even mentioned that's it a shipment coming in from the Colombians at one point.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #317
Clark
n00b

Anyone know of any good deals on season 1? New or used. Probably ebay?
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #318
Pyser
Pro Rookie

from time to time its on sale for about $25

id look for a black friday deal, or a deal when season 4 comes out on dvd in december, if you can wait.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #319
Clark
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
from time to time its on sale for about $25

id look for a black friday deal, or a deal when season 4 comes out on dvd in december, if you can wait.

Thank you.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #320
Pyser
Pro Rookie

best buy has each season of the wire for about $27 each right now online...amazons prices are close, too
Old 12-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #321
timmynausea
College Starter

I just tore through all 4 seasons over the past 2 or 3 weeks. Now I'm seriously debating whether I should watch season 5 week by week or just wait and watch it marathon style in a couple of months. I can see advantages to either way. I feel like watching the episodes close together I definitely picked up on a lot of little parallels between different story lines that I probably would've missed with a week in between, but I also feel that by rushing it I am missing part of the anticipation and spending a week wondering what will happen next type excitement.

In any case, I had actually tried to watch the show two or three times before (and even posted in this thread back in 2003) but got so annoyed by a couple of scenes in the first episode that I found it tough to go on. (The primary scene in question being the introduction of Rawls in which he berates McNulty for the first time.) Obviously in retrospect, a lot of the office politics/relationships are supposed to be as frustrating to the audience as they are to some of the characters, but I had a really hard time sitting through it. I can admit that part of that was probably being younger and impatient, so in some ways I'm glad that I put off the show until now, but even now I really do think the first episode was probably the worst of the entire series.

The first two seasons were very very good, and certainly among the best things on TV, but seasons 3 and 4 were just unbelievable. I can't think of any other show that just continued to get better and better as it went along. A lot of writers seem to run out of ideas after a year or two. The Wire continues to sprawl and get more complex and intricate every year without losing any of its richness or depth. It definitely has raised the bar for TV drama.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #322
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I still think there is a very good chance that this will happen. Since this post, Michael has become an assassin for Marlo, Omar has royally pissed off Marlo, and that ring Omar stole has come nearly full circle. I am usually wrong when I try predicting this show, but I feel pretty good about this time.

I got the same thing as you. As soon as Omar said. "He's just a kid," I thought for sure that Michael would end up killing him down the road. I think the fact that it was the final scene of an episode really made it stick out. I hope we're wrong, though, actually.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #323
spleen1015
Coordinator

Season 5 starts next Sunday!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #324
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Season 5 is only 10 episodes which sucks and since it's the finale, it sucks that much more, but you know it's going to be fucking amazing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #325
Lorena
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
The first two seasons were very very good, and certainly among the best things on TV, but seasons 3 and 4 were just unbelievable. I can't think of any other show that just continued to get better and better as it went along. A lot of writers seem to run out of ideas after a year or two. The Wire continues to sprawl and get more complex and intricate every year without losing any of its richness or depth. It definitely has raised the bar for TV drama.

We're waiting on discs 3 and 4 from Season 4 from Netflix and I agree with everything you said. Season 3 was awesome but season 4 is so good I don't know if Season 5 can top it. The first 2 seasons were good but not as good as the last 2. Just an incredible show.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #326
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I just tore through all 4 seasons over the past 2 or 3 weeks. Now I'm seriously debating whether I should watch season 5 week by week or just wait and watch it marathon style in a couple of months. I can see advantages to either way. I feel like watching the episodes close together I definitely picked up on a lot of little parallels between different story lines that I probably would've missed with a week in between, but I also feel that by rushing it I am missing part of the anticipation and spending a week wondering what will happen next type excitement.

I watched Seasons 1-3 marathon style prior to watching S4 week to week. While it's definitely great being able to knock off 4-5 episodes at a time, I suggest watching with all of us for this one. A major reason is since this is the last season, there's a chance you'll accidentally catch a spoiler somewhere and you don't want that.

One thing you get out of leaving the week in between is since you're not flying through everything, you have time to reflect on the past episode and think about what went down. I usually ended up watching at least part of a replay each week too, where I picked up on some things you miss the first time around. I think both marathon and week to week viewings can present unique experiences.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 PM   #327
Logan
Head Coach

We had pretty much no discussion going on about Season 4 due to the On Demand stuff...it became too hard to figure out where everyone was, and what was okay. Think we should come up with a standard spoiler warning for our posts, i.e.

"Just saw Episode 3...
Spoiler
"

"About the end of Episode 5...
Spoiler
"

etc, this way we know what all the spoilers are referencing?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #328
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that's a real good idea Logan.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:04 AM   #329
Logan
Head Coach

Cool, I'll start.

The premier to Season 5...
So happy it's back. I feel like I need another viewing already. Poor Dukie, all grown up and still no one respects him. Thought it was funny how he was describing himself as a housewife.

Fiscal crisis leaves the cops pissed and major crimes disbanded. Guessing that Marlo's crew pulls something (maybe related to Chris reading that file on Sergei from Season 2?) that puts the heat back on City Hall to bring him down. Nice to see Marlo follow Prop Joe's advice and tighten up a lot, including spreading word by moped.

Herc partnering up with Levy! Can't see that being anything but a perfect union.

I can already tell I'm going to like the media angle. Made me realize how hard it must be to get content for a daily paper.

The Bunk...scamming some kid with a photo copier lie detector test, combined with parading his buddy past while shoveling fries into his mouth. Classic.

While I feel bad for Beadie, drunk, womanizing McNutty makes the show better. "That's my desk."

Last edited by Logan : 01-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #330
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another article about David Simon - I haven't read it all yet, but thought I'd share. Potential spoilers, I guess, for those who have not watched through season four.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200801/bowden-wire
Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #331
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Episode 1 is up On Demand. I guess they are doing the same Monday-before thing they did last season.

No spoilers, but the episode is good as ever, and the opening part is fucking epic.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #332
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I just finished watching all of seasons 1-4 over the last few weeks, so I'm ready for season 5!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #333
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Yay! Finally finished Season 4 on Netflix. This is going to be legendary televison when all is said and done and after time has passed. It amazes me that they kept up with the integrity of the show for 4 solid seasons.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #334
Lorena
Unregistered

I just posted a review on the Last Movie Watched thread.. unbelievable ending.. just unreal. My heart broke for many of the characters... BODIE!!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #335
Barkeep49
Coordinator

For reference: Are we spoiler tagging all S5 discussion even after it's been aired on Sundays? Just don't want to mess up, or cause needless hassle, when I post my reactions tonight .
Old 01-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #336
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
For reference: Are we spoiler tagging all S5 discussion even after it's been aired on Sundays? Just don't want to mess up, or cause needless hassle, when I post my reactions tonight .

Anything posted after it airs on HBO is fair game, in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #337
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Anything posted after it airs on HBO is fair game, in my opinion.

I think that's the most reasonable rule. When I can't watch live, I avoid the thread until I have.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #338
Logan
Head Coach

I'm out of town for work this week, which means no HBO On Demand for me. It would really, really be a shame if I can't fall asleep tonight and find myself still awake at around 12:15 .
Old 01-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #339
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

I thought the new episode was very well done. I am looking forward to the whole media angle this season. It's a damn shame there will only be ten episodes this season.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #340
QuikSand
lolzcat

First episode ramps things up pretty well. I don't really like Clark Johnson as an actor (well, didn't much like him on Homicide) but I think they won me on his character when he had the slight hesitation and then gave the credit for finding the story to the dumbass reporter, rather than taking it himself. Little stuff like that is just the fabric of the show.

When it comes to this show, I'm more than biting the hook... I'm practically leaping right into the icechest. I'm already worried about what the world will be like after nine more episodes.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #341
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I didn't recognize Clark Johnson at first. I too think the news angle will be very interesting

Frankly I miss the optimism of that new day.

Dukie as the housewife is heartbreaking. I was a little disappointed we didn't get to see Namond (or Bunny for that matter who I love) who was, next to Michael, the most interesting of the kiddie crew.

I couldn't believe Marlo disrespecting Prop Joe like that. I saw an interview with the actor who plays Marlo and he was all shy and had none of the swagger or arrogance that the character has. I always liked Stringer and Prop Joe. Marlo? Him I want to see get taken down HARD.

EDIT: The biggest disappointment to me is Carcetti. For a bit there it looked like he realized the best politics was being a good mayor. But then he decided that being Governor was more important. I wish Norman would go find somebody else to shill for. Carcetti isn't good enough for him.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 01-06-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #342
Logan
Head Coach

Went ahead and unspoilerized my post above about the premier...
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #343
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Does anyone know when next week's episode goes up on OnDemand? In other words, is worth staying up a little later to catch it?
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #344
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I always liked Clark Johnson on Homicide so I was glad he finally made it to the Wire. Of course he has directed a few episodes of the Wire so it's not like he hasn't been involved in it up till now.

The Marlo-Prop Joe situation will be interesting to watch this season. Now that Marlo is on the trail of Prop Joe's sources, he probably figures he can take control over from him once Prop Joe is weak enough.

Last edited by Peregrine : 01-07-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #345
Landshark44
High School Varsity

how is it that chris and snoop posted bail so quick, when they were suspected of committing the murders of the bodies in the vacants...?

especially after the police found chris's gun in the SUV they pulled over. always seemed odd to me, they let those two go so easily....

seems ballistics would have been able to match some of the bullets in the dead bodies to chris's gun....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #346
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
how is it that chris and snoop posted bail so quick, when they were suspected of committing the murders of the bodies in the vacants...?

especially after the police found chris's gun in the SUV they pulled over. always seemed odd to me, they let those two go so easily....

seems ballistics would have been able to match some of the bullets in the dead bodies to chris's gun....
They dumped the nail gun so the police wouldn't have been able to link them to that.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #347
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
They dumped the nail gun so the police wouldn't have been able to link them to that.

but they found his real gun above the glove compartment, in the secret spot....even if it didn't match any of the bullets found in the bodies...

they were still the main suspects in 22 murders. and they posted bail in the same episode they were arrested in...

awesome show, for sure..... i didn't LOVE last nights episode, but i will reserve judgement for the complete season....kind of reminded me of season 2 for some reason...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #348
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm out of town for work this week, which means no HBO On Demand for me. It would really, really be a shame if I can't fall asleep tonight and find myself still awake at around 12:15 .

Not like anyone cares...but I stayed up to watch this despite being exhausted and having my alarm set for 6:30. This was my chain of events: I started it around 12:30, fell asleep around 1, woke up just after it ended at 1:30, continued my idiocy and rewound the damn thing to the last point I remembered, finished it around 2, passed out by 2:01, woke up at 6:30, and by 6:31, realized I didn't remember a damn thing from the episode.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #349
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
but they found his real gun above the glove compartment, in the secret spot....even if it didn't match any of the bullets found in the bodies...
I'm assuming they were smart enough to dump their guns after committing the murders, unlike Byrd when Omar called him out in the courtroom for being too dumb/attached to dump the gun.

S5E2
Spoiler
Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #350
BishopMVP
Coordinator

S5 E2
Spoiler