Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #351
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The Bunk...scamming some kid with a photo copier lie detector test

That was funny. It was straight out of the first season of Homicide, which from my understanding was pretty faithful to David Simon's non-fiction book. Basically there's a pretty good chance that the copy machine lie detector trick really happened, which makes it that much funnier.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #352
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
That was funny. It was straight out of the first season of Homicide, which from my understanding was pretty faithful to David Simon's non-fiction book. Basically there's a pretty good chance that the copy machine lie detector trick really happened, which makes it that much funnier.

There are stories of this sort of trick being used in real police departments all over the place, including in the case files of any number of "evidence admissibility" cases in the courts. Definitely an old standard.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #353
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

I'm I the only one who still doesn't have Episode 2 available through On Demand?
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #354
thesloppy
Pro Starter

There's an interesting series on BET called 'American Gangster' that profiles many modern black gangsters. This week I caught one about former Baltimore drug kingpin Melvin Williams, and there was a lot of stuff in Melvin's life that provided inspiration for 'the wire' and the episode also featured a lot of commentary from both of the creators of 'the wire' as well. Melvin Williams himself also plays the deacon on 'the wire', and it's quite a trip watching that kind of hangdog face you associate with the deacon, framed in big gold sunglasses, talking about how he wanted to sell "Kilos upon kilos to people upon people." Worth your time if you're a 'wire' fan and stumble upon it in re-runs.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #355
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If you have read Freakonomics, the Indian Sociologist that goes in as a grad student to study the Chicago crack gangs watched S5E1 with some other hoods and og's from NYC. http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...k-of-the-wire/ I don't know if this was a one-off or if it'll be posted every week.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #356
Logan
Head Coach

Damn McNulty, what are you getting yourself into?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #357
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

I guess his self-destruction has just reached the level from which he can't go back, and that's sad. I actually (and I feel I may be in the minority with this) LOVED Season 4 McNulty. It was nice to see him happy. I like Beadie Russell. But now, there's no going back. He's dug his own grave, I fear.

I'm in the same boat, I think Jimmy will be interesting this season but I just know this won't end well, which is too bad.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #358
BishopMVP
Coordinator

S5 E's 3/4
Spoiler

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-21-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #359
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

One of the things I'm really enjoying this season is the recurring minor characters. For example, the girl from Bub's AA meeting was shown very briefly buying drugs in season 3 and now however many years later is trying to go straight.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #360
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
One of the things I'm really enjoying this season is the recurring minor characters. For example, the girl from Bub's AA meeting was shown very briefly buying drugs in season 3 and now however many years later is trying to go straight.

She was also seen in season 4 as a hooker. I think she's actually the daughter or niece of someone behind the scenes.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #361
QuikSand
lolzcat

I remain a pretty unabashed fan of this show. Period.

I am at the same time getting a little disappointed with the press angle so far. I don't really ever recall feeling like I could see the puppet strings all that clearly in this show (with the possible exception of the way they orchestrated ways to keep our favorite characters in the show, despite changing focus of the storyline). But I do here. It just feels like they have said "well, we have ten eps to talk about the press, so we want to get every major issue facing newspapers front and center pronto." So, I feel like they are simultaneously spinning us toward the multiple and predictable plotlines of bottom line pressures ruining journalism, incompetent/corrupt bosses stifling quality journalists, and ambitious reports run amok while coddled by system. Not that there's really anything wrong with having elements of these things in the story, but it feels sort of like a little league game already, where the manager is under orders to get every single kid an at bat, first and foremost.

Oh, and thus far, I don't like the notion that "Gus" gets to wear a completely white hat. So far, one of the best things about this show has been the depth they lend pretty much everybody that make them more than cardboard cutouts... I'd really hate it if we've just basically decided to show the David Simons and Bill Zorzis of the world as the noble white knights who can do no wrong but get screwed by the system in the end. Gus needs a flaw, and he needs it pretty soon.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #362
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
S5 E's 3/4
Spoiler

Episode 4...

Spoiler
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #363
Landshark44
High School Varsity

that was cold blooded, last night.....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #364
Pyser
Pro Rookie

cheese was having a territory dispute with the guy from the co-op. marlo basically ended it for him.

marlos scene at the end of last nights episode was absolutely amazing.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Awesome show....too bad I'm just discovering it, and it's almost over.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #366
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
cheese was having a territory dispute with the guy from the co-op. marlo basically ended it for him.

marlos scene at the end of last nights episode was absolutely amazing.

Talk about ruthless killers, Marlo's crew. What amazes me most is how they seem completely fucking fascinated with how they kill. Snoop would casually tilt her head as she kept shooting Butchie and watched his pain. Chris would cock a slight smile as he observed his handywork. Marlo doesn't even flinch when Chris shoots Prop Joe, only stands there with a slightly open mouth, as if he's holding back a grin. Really chilling.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #367
Bad-example
College Starter

Great death scene for Prop Joe. "Close your eyes, Joe". I thought Joe would end up as the smart kingpin that retires and leaves the game to the younger and hungrier. He was clearly on his way out, but I sure didn't expect it to go down like it did.

In (admittedly redundant) praise of the writing on this show, I would like to mention the scene where Templeton goes to the job interview at the Washington Post. His excited arrival, asking to sit in on a meeting. The interview, when the guy looks at his work and then shifts to talking about how the Sun is a quality paper. The exit, where the lady points to the sticker on his chest and tells him, "You can just throw that away".

What a great line! I just thought that sequence was really well done.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #368
Landshark44
High School Varsity

i can't wait to see omar kill all those clowns.....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #369
Pyser
Pro Rookie

id just likel to point out the writing mirroring the fall of prop joe and burrell was absolutely amazing.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #370
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For whatever it's worth, muck like last year there are episodes on the net that have been leaked early. I haven't checked recently, but last I looked 5,6 & 7 were available. Note that the sound and video quality is pretty poor, and it didn't dawn on me until I was finished (I'm a little slow) that now I have to wait like 3 weeks to catch a new episode.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #371
QuikSand
lolzcat

That was a really tough episode. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't see it coming for Joe, but in retrospect should have felt it. I guess it's another tip of the cap that this show didn't feel the need to drop in a bunch of foreshadowing crap that would have second nature for standard TV writers. It's such a mature show in that respect.

I agree with many of the people's observations about this episode, clearly the best of the season thus far. The Post interview and the Joe/Burrell parallel were both really well conceived, I agree. I'd also point out that for those of us who are Omar Little fans, our faith in that character was deeply reaffirmed at that *huge* scene between him and Slim, when he showed us exactly what it is that makes us actually admire him so much. "A man's got to have a code," indeed.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #372
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Ive watched episodes 1-7 and this season is shaping up quite nicely. I cant wait to discuss it once everyone catches up.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #373
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Wow, Freamon and McNulty are insane, brillant, but insane. It seems like quite the race to get Marlo, Bunk vs McNulty and the Co-op vs Omar. Somehow I think Michaels kindness will come back to haunt him and will make the case for Bunk. Maybe Michael flips after someone from Marlo's crew kills Dookie? Thoughts?

I'm really excited to see where it goes. The next 4 episodes should be great; although I'm getting bored with the newspaper angle, it hasn't captured me like the rest of the players.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #374
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was somewhat hoping they would have shown how Omar survived that fall. But I guess it's really not that kind of show.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #375
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I loved Marlo's handling of the co-op this week.

"One more thing, the price of brick's going up."

Also happy/sad to see Randy, one of my favorite kids from last season. As everything heads towards a climax I can't help but think that everybody is going to end up completely screwed, which is pretty much par for the course...except for that lying-ass, lazy reporter from the Sun, I bet that shyster somehow sneaks out of the inevitable carnage and gets his job at the Post.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #376
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I loved Marlo's handling of the co-op this week.

"One more thing, the price of brick's going up."

Similarly, loved Fat Face Rick's "Didn't think so..." when he asked Omar if he killed Prop Joe and Hungry Man.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #377
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Man....episode 7 is off-the-charts awesome. I heart Clay Davis.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #378
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Episode 58 spoiler

Spoiler
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #379
Pyser
Pro Rookie

fuck you, detox.

fuck you.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #380
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Episode 58 spoiler

Spoiler
Pyser, he spoil tagged it

Spoiler
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #381
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Episode 58 spoiler

Spoiler

I saw that on Youtube a week or so ago....yeah, pretty much exactly my sentiments.

Spoiler

Last edited by stevew : 02-18-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #382
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Man....episode 7 is off-the-charts awesome. I heart Clay Davis.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 02-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #383
QuikSand
lolzcat

Speaking of Clay Davis... some inside baseball for those not plugged into the Maryland politics scene. The recent scene when Clay Davis went onto a radio talk show to "air his side of things" was priceless. The guy running the radio talk show is Larry Young (who really does have a radio show) and who in real life was.... hmmm... a state senator who got busted for racketeering and influence peddling and apparently had all manner of dirtiness going on when he went down. In other words, they basically took the real life guy who inspired the Clay Davis character, and got him to do a cameo on the show interviewing Clay Davis.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #384
Logan
Head Coach

More Ep 58:

Spoiler

Last edited by Logan : 02-18-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #385
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Speaking of Clay Davis... some inside baseball for those not plugged into the Maryland politics scene. The recent scene when Clay Davis went onto a radio talk show to "air his side of things" was priceless. The guy running the radio talk show is Larry Young (who really does have a radio show) and who in real life was.... hmmm... a state senator who got busted for racketeering and influence peddling and apparently had all manner of dirtiness going on when he went down. In other words, they basically took the real life guy who inspired the Clay Davis character, and got him to do a cameo on the show interviewing Clay Davis.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Not quite along the same lines, but I thought the Richard Belzer cameo ("I used to own a bar") was a nice touch.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #386
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Spoiler

Even though I saw that coming I still LOL'd, and I'm not an LOLer. I love this show.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #387
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms View Post
Not quite along the same lines, but I thought the Richard Belzer cameo ("I used to own a bar") was a nice touch.

Yes yes... I presume we will now see The Wire listed as yet another TV show in which Belzer portrayed John Munch. He clearly takes pride in this weird little record of his.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #388
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Speaking of Clay Davis...

Spoiler
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #389
Logan
Head Coach

More Ep 58 related stuff:

Spoiler
Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #390
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Along the lines of Logan's spoiler, I'm pretty sure back in season 1 when Lester Freamon goes to the boxing gym to find a picture of Avon, Michael is standing outside by the door, but I've never been able to confirm that.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #391
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Along the lines of Logan's spoiler, I'm pretty sure back in season 1 when Lester Freamon goes to the boxing gym to find a picture of Avon, Michael is standing outside by the door, but I've never been able to confirm that.

I'm almost 100% positive you're correct.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #392
Logan
Head Coach

I'll pop in my DVDs tomorrow and take a look.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #393
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Spoiler
More ep58
Spoiler
Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #394
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
More ep58
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #395
BishopMVP
Coordinator

One other thing I saw in a comment thread - was the older guy working with Omar who got killed before Omar jumped out the window the real life inspiration for Omar?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-21-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #396
Logan
Head Coach

Yep.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #397
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Spoiler

The actor that plays Bunk is 45, the actor that plays Omar is approx 42, I guess Bunk could be 37 or 38 maybe, i dunno.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #398
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The actor that plays Bunk is 45, the actor that plays Omar is approx 42, I guess Bunk could be 37 or 38 maybe, i dunno.
e58 d.o.b. q's
Spoiler

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-22-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #399
Logan
Head Coach

David Simon interview with Newsweek, where he addresses a lot of the newsroom criticism when talking about Season 5. No mention of anything that hasn't aired on regular TV yet.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/114438/page/1
Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #400
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Episode 8 was great, that part with McNulty and the profiler had me rolling.

Anyways I found episode 9 somewhere on the net.

Spoiler