Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #2701
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Blegh. That was a crap card. Way to shit the bed Lombard, and I love watching Faber work his ass off to throw shoulder feints for 25 minutes.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #2702
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

That's one way to solve the piracy problem Dana's always moaning about, another card like that and no one would want to steal it. I left the bar I was watching at early it was so boring.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #2703
molson
General Manager

It's the unfortunate, unavoidable side of real sports on PPV - sometimes you pay a lot for something that just sucks. It's not really anyone's fault. I guess that's true for paying a lot for a ticket too, but at least then you're going somewhere and getting the atmosphere.

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #2704
Suicane75
Coordinator

The prelim fights on FX were awesome. Thems just the breaks.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #2705
PilotMan
Head Coach

So I see that Nick Diaz wants to come back and fight Silva at 185. I know he is coming off of a loss, and I hate his attitude, but he can fight and sell a fight.

The more I think about this the more that it's even more exciting than a GSP-Diaz fight. Can Silva take that kind of power and striking excellence? Would be bring back the knee attack? If it went to the ground (it wouldn't) who has the advantage. Of all the people out there, Diaz certainly has a certain set of skills that makes him more than a handful for Silva.

It's all moot until he comes back and wins a fight at 185, but still fun to speculate.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #2707
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Lauzon/Varner fight has Fight of the Night written all over it. That was a great fight.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #2708
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Good card on Fox so far tonight.

Yeah - that Lauzon-Varner fight was stellar. Especially considering that Varner was a replacement and wasn't fully conditioned for it.

Love the sportsmanship of the two guys too...always nice to see.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #2710
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Though Lauzon still has the worst nickname in the UFC...

He also looks like he's 15. Not that I'm about to drive down to Bridgewater and tell him that or anything
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #2711
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Already beats the last pay per view....Good fights tonight........Also anyone else on the board fight or ever have? I've had two so far.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #2712
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That is followed by what might be the best nickname in the UFC... Ryan "Darth" Bader
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #2713
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Already beats the last pay per view....Good fights tonight........Also anyone else on the board fight or ever have? I've had two so far.

Nope, would love to but wouldn't be allowed to because of having Marfan Syndrome (even if I was in good enough shape to have).
Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #2714
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Machida is so much fun to watch fight. Just from a pure "nobody else fights like him" type of way.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #2715
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Seriously want to see Bader win at this point. I hate that crap Machida is doing.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #2716
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Yeah I'll never forget when Machida knocked Rashad silly...and as I type he does it again
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #2717
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously want to see Bader win at this point. I hate that crap Machida is doing.

What? It's so funny...I love the crazy hands and the almost like..."are you serious? You're really trying that?" expression/reaction he has to his opponent's strike attempts.

It must drive the opponents nuts and into making bad decisions too, which is totally the point.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2718
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I really can't say I'd be excited about the chances of any of these guys against Jones based on their past fights against him
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #2719
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure who I would like to see from that division going up against Jones at this point.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #2720
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Now the fight being advertised should be good. Henderson/Edgar.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #2721
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I do love Shogun though...he showed lots of heart and grit in the henderson fight
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #2722
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

God - Joe Rogan has an insufferable mancrush on Brandon Vera. Jeezus.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #2723
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
God - Joe Rogan is insufferable .

fify

spent too much time last night with my neighbor talking Rogan during a good card.

He HAS to tell you what just happened and in a smug way like "Finally he punched him clean on the jaw while he was falling on his back. Ive been waiting on him to do that."

Grrrrr.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #2724
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
fify

spent too much time last night with my neighbor talking Rogan during a good card.

He HAS to tell you what just happened and in a smug way like "Finally he punched him clean on the jaw while he was falling on his back. Ive been waiting on him to do that."

Grrrrr.

My favorite was when Vera was on top on the ground and Rogan was like "FINALLY VERA'S GOT HIM ON HIS BACK...HE'S GOT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!!!!!" and it was like he couldn't figure out that Vera was completely gassed and couldn't do anything because (like Rua) at that point he was spent and was trying to use the time to recover a little.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2725
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

For me, the "best" Rogan part was in the third round when Vera connected with a double cross, but really barely brushed Rua, who was backing away and both fighters were so tired and had no punching power left.

Rogan exclaimed in a super excited voice, "Vera CONNECTS with the BRILLIANT double cross!!"

Lol

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #2726
bhlloy
Coordinator

That was a fun card. Think the Lauzon-Varner fight was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

I think giving Lyoto the rematch is a smart move. I think he's the only one who has the potential to trouble Jones. Will it happen - probably not, but with the unique style and the southpaw matchup it's something different, and he looked sharper last night than he has in a long time.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #2727
molson
General Manager

Finally caught up on this, which was a great show. But I wish they didn't feel the need to go through two commercials before the first fight. It was about 20 minutes in until the first bell, I think that's just too long for a network show when you're trying to attract more casual fans.

Ratings went way down again, 1.4, 2.44 million viewers. I guess there's the Olympics, but there's always something.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2728
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think they deliberately went early to avoid the olympics but maybe that was just on the west coast then? Either way, not good viewing figures I agree. The cards keep getting stronger and the numbers keep going down
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #2729
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I, for one, didn't even know about it until I saw something on facebook not long before it started. Glad I saw that or I would have missed some very entertaining fights.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #2730
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pretty pumped up for tomorrow night - gonna be some good fights.

Per Dana's comments about a woman fighting in the UFC, and if there was one he could imagine it'd be Rousey: "First she's gotta win this weekend. Win and then we'll see" I wonder if she were to win convincingly this weekend if he'd make an announcement about an upcoming fight shortly after?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-17-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #2731
molson
General Manager

Rousey on Cris Cyborg, "As long as she makes 135, I don't care if she's injecting horse semen into her eyeballs"

I also heard there's a video out there of Rousey performing a Judo throw and armbar on a vacuum cleaner.

She could really be a big star (and an actual UFC PPV draw), or she could implode to full craziness, either way, I'll be pulling for her.

Last edited by molson : 08-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2732
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Rousey on Cris Cyborg, "As long as she makes 135, I don't care if she's injecting horse semen into her eyeballs"

I also heard there's a video out there of Rousey performing a Judo throw and armbar on a vacuum cleaner.

She could really be a big star (and an actual UFC PPV draw), or she could implode to full craziness, either way, I'll be pulling for her.

I think she's awesome. Haha - I didn't realize she said that about Cyborg.

Not sure if Dana would want a Rousey vs. Cyborg fight given that Cyborg would be coming off a PED-suspension. Not sure how Rousey would actually do in that fight.

I think she handles Kaufman - although I do think she'll get bloodied up a bit and it might even go multiple rounds (if Kaufman can stay on her feet).
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #2733
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Herb Dean Strikes again.
In the pre card Adlan Amagov v Keith Berry
First he totally misses an illegal knee joint kick/strike, then stops the fight despite the downed/wrong fighter screaming Im fine Im fine while trying to escape.

Seriously, get this guy out of the cage

Last edited by CU Tiger : 08-18-2012 at 09:41 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #2734
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Jeezus...that was fast. Nice strategy by Ronda, got in close and took it to the ground before Sarah could hit her.

Need to see the replay, because it looked like Sarah had it well defended for a while.

Aaaah...there it was.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #2735
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Not sure if Dana would want a Rousey vs. Cyborg fight given that Cyborg would be coming off a PED-suspension. Not sure how Rousey would actually do in that fight.

Dana would give an inch of his dick to put that fight on PPV next week.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #2736
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Dana would give an inch of his dick to put that fight on PPV next week.

He has one?

Yeah - I can see that I suppose. Wonder if it will happen - Rousey has no real incentive to go up in weight or make it a catch weight fight, so I've got to think that Cyborg will have to come down...
Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #2737
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'd like to see Gina Carano and Rousey go at it. The MMA stuff is not necessary though.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2738
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I'd like to see Gina Carano and Rousey go at it. The MMA stuff is not necessary though.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2739
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

Didn't you say the same thing about Faber/Torres though?

I don't know Rousey and Cyborgs contract status with Showtime, but Dana has to be salivating at the idea of putting those two on PPV near the end of the year.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #2740
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I thought the whole card last night was pretty good actually.

St. Preux was impressive. Jacare's striking was unexpected, and Saffedine looked good too.

A lot of classy fighters too actually - St. Preux and Jacare both backed off when they KO'd their opponents instead of landing excess shots.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #2741
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

W...T...F....

Jones Won't Fight Sonnen; UFC 151 Cancelled

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #2742
molson
General Manager

Just last week Jones was whining about not wanting to fight Machida again. But I guess that sentiment isn't as strong as his fear of Sonnen.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2743
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is the last straw with me on Bones. I had his back before. He was just a fascinating fighter. Just so dominant, such a quick rise to the top. That whole chasing down the robber thing last year (makes you wonder, was that a setup?).

His sniping with Rashad? Okay, babyish, come on boys, grow up. But I understood there were hurt feelings all around there. Then his DUI. I said, hey, he's still just 23 or whatever. He's a grownup kid with a lot of toys and is still maturing. Got it.

But this? To not only refuse a fight in which you have EVERY advantage and which will be your biggest pay date to date and for which you are already training against an opponent fighting on short notice and up a class, but to do it and then thus screw everyone else in the situation, the UFC, the other fighters, the fans, the arena, the promoters, I mean, damn. He just stuck a big middle finger out at everyone.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #2744
General Mike
Pro Starter

Jon Jones is a bitch.

Quote:
Wrestling Observer Radio returns today with a free audio exclusive, and interview with Chael Sonnen talking Jon Jones refusal to fight him that resulted in the doom of UFC 151. What went down, his reactions, his thoughts on Jones and Nike, and more!

http://media001.f4wonline.com/free/082312chael.mp3
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #2745
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not to mention that the worst possible outcome from a sporting perspective (He loses), would be the best possible outcome from a financial perspective because the rematch would be HUGE. Guy is just a dumb douche.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #2746
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Waaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaah. 8 days notice. Get the fuck out.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #2747
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I would call Jones' bluff and see how much money he could make being the biggest draw for Bellator. This isn't the WWF in the 1980s and he sure as hell isn't Hulk Hogan.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #2748
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I was surprised a guy like White, who always seems so bullyish and confrontational, would even allow Jones to fight Machida at 152 after losing a whole card because of him. I woulda told Jones, heck no, Machida just fought he needs time, you'll fight him when he's ready, at the point the fight would have been scheduled had the Henderson fight gone forward.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #2749
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Waaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaah. 8 days notice. Get the fuck out.

And if my math is right, Sonnen would have had the same notice for this fight, and much less notice than Jones that he was fighting that day.

And Machida turns down the title shot, after the UFC built a show around him and 3 other guys fighting for that title shot...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #2750
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not only has this screwed over all the fans that bought tickets, non refundable airfare, took off work, made arrangements, etc… but think of all the fighters. Fighters that put in full camps, flew people in that helped them trains, etc. By the time I am actually fight, I spend close to 20k between corners, flights, expenses, coaches, etc… and then to have the whole show cancelled because ONE guy didn't want to fight. This ONE guy that had trained an entire camp, who was the CHAMP and at the top of his weight class,* who was going to fight someone who didn't do the camp, and was fighting UP a weight class.

Unbelievable. The above quote is Joe Lauzon's and I agree with him completely. You don't have to take the fight for any reason but the other fighters.

If I were Zuffa, I would have cut Jones on the spot and saved the card by putting the title on the line to two guys who are prepared to fight anyone at anytime, which is what your champions should be willing to do.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 08-24-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote