Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

The Offical Minecraft Thread

Minecraft

For those of you that don't know what Minecraft is about, the best way I can describe it is a bit like Lego's crossed with Dwarf Fortress, except your the dwarf.

If you like world building games, this one is sure to suck you in.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Axxon
Pro Starter

Great game, I agree.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Ive been playing on WOM, which is World of Minecraft. Probably my favorite servers to play on, because you have to register to build, and they deal with griefers very harshly, so you can rest knowing that whatever you build isnt going to get trashed immediately, and you dont have to spend all of your time fixing the griefing.

World of Minecraft | Minecraft at its finest

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Love this game!

Mining for ore, then coming across a large cavern... awesome. In my current game, I found a cavern that went as deep as possible. Along the way I find one monster spawner and treasure chests, several underground rivers and waterfalls, and a huge lava lake with waterfall.

I've built a monster/animal trap that automatically drowns everything that falls in. It's 13x15 and roughly 5 or 6 deep. Water pushes everything down to the center. The bottom is made of glass, and a small section deposits everything through a 1x1 block into a cavern under all of that. Perfect for auto harvesting.

Built a canon too.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
Love this game!

Mining for ore, then coming across a large cavern... awesome. In my current game, I found a cavern that went as deep as possible. Along the way I find one monster spawner and treasure chests, several underground rivers and waterfalls, and a huge lava lake with waterfall.

I was pretty deep mining gravel in hopes of finding some ore behind in when all of the sudden lava started pouring out. Scared me, but I was able to get away safely.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
bhlloy
Coordinator

Any beginner tips for this game other than keep mining until you find something fun?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch

PayPal Freezes $750K in MineCraft Dev's Account

Andy Chalk | 10 Sep 2010 2:37 pm

The creator of MineCraft has run into a bit of a snag with PayPal, which has frozen his account with over $763,000 in it and refuses to let him touch it.

Because it's a struggle for me to scrape together 750 bucks, much less 750 thousand, I can't really imagine how much it would suck to have it but not be able to get at it. So I'll let MineCraft creator Markus Persson describe the situation in his own words.

"Paypal. On the 25th, they limited my account for unspecified reasons (a suspicious withdrawal or deposit! wow, thank you for that amazingly detailed information), and asked me for a bunch of vague documents. I did my best to give them what they asked for," he wrote on his blog. "My account is still limited. I've called them three times, they keep telling me it's being reviewed. Most recently they told me it'd take up to two more weeks for it to get resolved, and that if they decide something bad's being going on, they're going to keep the money. There's over 600000 euro in there. Money I was planning on investing in the new company."

In response to people suggesting that it's somehow his own fault for letting all that money build up in a PayPal account, Persson noted that he actually clears out his account every week. "They limited my account just as sales started spiking, so this money has accumulated since they limited the account," he said.

One obvious question emerges from Persson's ongoing troubles with PayPal: How the hell does one guy rack up more than three quarters of a million dollars off a single indie game? My first thought was that it had to be a typo, but apparently MineCraft is just a really good game. As one commenter on Slashdot noted, "I bought the game a couple of months ago and every other game in my collection had been neglected... Single player is an amazing time waster, it's so easy to get completely sucked into a world made up of giant pixels. It's one of the best indie games I've ever tried and it's made by just one guy."

Persson said he's sure he'll get things sorted out, but described the situation as "kind of frustrating" in the meantime. Hopefully he'll have better luck than Something Awful did during its 2005 run-in with PayPal: After raising over $30,000 in nine hours to aid Red Cross efforts following Hurricane Katrina, SA's PayPal account was frozen for suspicious activity, ultimately resulting in all donated funds, minus service fees, being returned to donators.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

They've already unfrozen his money, but he is required to keep 5% of his total revenue in his account as long as he's using paypall.

Great to see he's bringing in that much money though.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
They've already unfrozen his money, but he is required to keep 5% of his total revenue in his account as long as he's using paypall.

Odd.

So, if he has say $50K in sales for the week, he would need to keep 2.5K in there and the next week, if he had $100, he would have to retain $7.5K?

I would imagine some bells would go off if your revenues suddenly spiked upwards to $750K in a short time.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Odd.

So, if he has say $50K in sales for the week, he would need to keep 2.5K in there and the next week, if he had $100, he would have to retain $7.5K?

I would imagine some bells would go off if your revenues suddenly spiked upwards to $750K in a short time.

Yeah, he's required to keep 5% of sale in the account to cover any possible refunds on charge backs required of PayPal. He did just hire someone to run the business side of things, so we'll see if he finds a different way to handle sales.

Though it looks like your example numbers are a bit low, he's done around $400,000 in sales in the last week.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Though it looks like your example numbers are a bit low, he's done around $400,000 in sales in the last week.

I'm in the wrong business.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm in the wrong business.

To be fair, he's doing a little bit better than most indie game makers who just hired their company's third employee and have a game that's still in alpha.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Good to see strong sales continuing, Minecraft has had nearly $1 million in sales since last Wednesday.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d...layer_embedded
Old 01-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

My kids got me addicted to this game. My son set up a multiplayer server for our house and now all of us are playing. Good times!!!

PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

In the latest issue of PC Gamer Magazine, the one with Dragon Age 2 on the cover, there's a multipage article on how to get started in this game. I still haven't tried it because I'm not sure how much of a game there is in it and how much of it just a freeform builder.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

It's way more of a free-form builder, rather than a fleshed out game with strategic choices, goals, etc., but that doesn't make it any less addicting. It is tremendous fun exploring in this game. And some of the randomly generated landscapes are incredible...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK, well I'm hooked. Not even sure why I finally decided to give this game a try 2 nights ago, but there I was last night, drilling a 20x20 quarry deep into the Earth's core...

Odd little game this one, but damn fun and addictive.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
Yellow5
High School Varsity

You should start checking out the popular seeds for maps once you get into the game a bit more.

Gargamel and Glacier are popular seeds.

PC Gamer also released a decent Top 10 list of mods the other day.

The 10 best Minecraft mods | PC Gamer

I'm using the map mod, several of Risugam's mods and a few others. Industrial craft adds a ton of new things to make. Far too many to list here but look at the thread on the minecraft forums for details.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
Groundhog
Coordinator

Thanks for the tips! Some of the user created content for this game is amazing.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

ANyone built anything cool they can show cool pictures of?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Terraria launch a huge success | PC Gamer

There's a new Minecraft-like game called Terraria that was released yesterday, the differences are that it's a side scroller, it has a simpler crafting system and there are NPCs that will move into the fort or castle you build. I've played about 8 hours so far and had a lot of fun with it. I haven't got to anything to crazy down deep yet, but I've been building a fort/mining colony into the side of a mountain while mining enough stone to build a fort.

It's the most played game on Steam right now and #2 seller.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-17-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

First I've heard of Terraria. After a quick read of features, it sounds like mixing Terraria and Minecraft together would make the greatest game of all time.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
ANyone built anything cool they can show cool pictures of?

Haven't been able to make anything cool in Minecraft, but here's what I've made in my fort in Terraria.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-18-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #25
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

My son who's been a big Minecraft fan bought Terraria and is loving it. So for $10, I went ahead and bought a copy too. I am completely cool with a "sandbox" concept, but this is really stretching it for me. Is is just expected that players will spend hours and hours poring over the hundreds of Youtube videos that go into much better detail about the game? There's no tutorial, and the "Guide Dude" seems pretty repetitive with his advice. At some point, I would like to have an idea where I'm going in the game. And I haven't figured it out yet. To those of you that are hooked on it, what did you do to get over that hump?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
JPhillips
General Manager

The Terraria Wiki helped me a ton.

http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Terraria_Wiki
Old 06-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

bought Terraria this weekend and having fun just building, very fun and open
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #28
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am planning on getting Terraria some time this week. I am hoping to have time for it tonight.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #29
Groundhog
Coordinator

I bought Terraria a few weeks back and played for 20 mins or so and it didn't really grab me. Will have to give it another shot once I get bored of Minecraft, which may well happen if they don't do something to liven up this barren world I'm living in.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #30
spleen1015
Coordinator

I bought Terraria last night and played for about 4-5 hours total.

My biggest problem is the controls. I can't remember the last time I played a keyboard controlled game. I'm used to WoW where I do all of my movement with the mouse.

I am having lots of fun with it. What is everyone doing with all of the Dirt Blocks they end up with? I find myself randomly digging and I am ended up with lots of dirt. Maybe I should fill in where I'm digging.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #31
JPhillips
General Manager

You can "sell" the 250 dirt blocks to the merchant for no money. That at least gets rid of them. I tend to keep one 250 block as an emergency way to build an escape route or seal a tunnel from nasties.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #32
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

since there is no limit to the amount of chests you can make, I have like 7 now, each for different stuff to store that kind of stuff

i built myself a castle with several rooms. check out some of the wiki's and videos, people are really creative...
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have about 10-12 hours into this game and I am loving it.

I am having a problem finding iron though.

Do you guys know if I can create a second house and put a bed in it and make that bed my respawn point? I am tired of having to find my way all the way back to caves, etc.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #34
JPhillips
General Manager

Yes, the bed will be your spawn point. I don't know what happens with multiple beds.

I moved my character to a small world and I'm having a much easier time finding resources. I think the large world, in particular, is best suited to multiplayer.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #35
spleen1015
Coordinator

Terraria really gets its legs once you get off the ground and start getting the good equipment and accessories.

The 1.0.4 update is supposed to be out today.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Terraria really gets its legs once you get off the ground and start getting the good equipment and accessories.

The 1.0.4 update is supposed to be out today.

I really started having a lot of fun after I found an enchanted boomerang and built a grappling hook. The grappling hook is really necessary when exploring larger caves deep down.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #37
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yes, the bed will be your spawn point. I don't know what happens with multiple beds.

I moved my character to a small world and I'm having a much easier time finding resources. I think the large world, in particular, is best suited to multiplayer.

I'd started on a large world but think I'm going to move to a small or medium. On a large world the dungeon and underground forest are about 2400 feet below where I originally spawned. I'm looking forward to exploring them on a world where they're more accessible.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #38
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I really started having a lot of fun after I found an enchanted boomerang and built a grappling hook. The grappling hook is really necessary when exploring larger caves deep down.

Oh, and the mining helmet. The mining helmet is definitely a necessity.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #39
spleen1015
Coordinator

I got the boomerang from my very first chest. It made dealing with mobs much easier.

Have you found the floating islands yet? There are 2 very useful accessories to be found there.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #40
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just figured out that if the game isn't the active window, it pauses.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #41
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I just figured out that if the game isn't the active window, it pauses.

I had played for 20 hours before i realized you could hold down right click to craft multipe itemd instead of continuously left clicking.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #42
spleen1015
Coordinator

I saw that on a youtube video for newbs.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #43
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I saw that on a youtube video for newbs.

I was watching a Total Biscuit and Jesse Cox Play Terraria video and saw them craft a bunch of walls at once. Went to figure out how to do it, tried right clicking and was angry at myself for not finding out about it sooner.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #44
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

is this the place where people talk about Terraria too? Search only return this spot.

Anyway, got it during the Steam sale, for $5 and not the really cheap price of $2.50 but still, having tons of fun with it. Really addictive.

have yet to find any of the things like boomerang or miner helmet but did craft myself copper helmet, armor and pants. Digging and digging.

FM
Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

I've been addicted to Minecraft for about a month now. I play on the multiplayer server "mc.monstercraft.net*

just search for monstercraft for info on the server. I've kind of taken over the entire northern region of our world. Fun stuff.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #46
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I've been addicted to Minecraft for about a month now. I play on the multiplayer server "mc.monstercraft.net*

just search for monstercraft for info on the server. I've kind of taken over the entire northern region of our world. Fun stuff.

When he says addicted, I have seen people locked up for the amount of time they spend on shit, he doubles that....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #47
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Two copies of Minecraft for ~$21: Minecraft
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #48
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
When he says addicted, I have seen people locked up for the amount of time they spend on shit, he doubles that....

Macroguru speaks the truth, although its more like 3-4x that amount, but lets not quibble.

Our server admin decided to change names after another "monstercraft server started up and seems loaded with assholes.

Youc an find our immense universe at:

mc.acmecraftco.com

Everyone should join, its an awesome server!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #49
heybrad
Norm!!!

I was introduced to Minecraft about a month ago and have been hooked ever since. I've only played single player up to this point but I'd like to see what you've got going as far as mutliplayer.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #50
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Version 1.8 needs to come out. I don't really wanna play my old save since I know damn well I'll start on a fresh world when this one comes out.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote