tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I'm in as "tucker rocky"

Scouting around for a place to build.

tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #52
Subby
lolzcat

Good building types and strategy post + spreadsheet.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 09-18-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #53
Subby
lolzcat

Don't forget to log in each day!

Q: When do I receive my rent?
A: Rent is released once a day at 12am (midnight) GMT. But you MUST log on once a day to have the rent paid out into your bank.

Q: Do you only get rent on days when you log in or does it accrue?
A: Yes. You must log in to receive rent. It does not accrue.

Strategy-wise, I wonder if it might be better to take your turn as close to daily game turnover as possible. That way if you get a hazard during the day, you still have time to mitigate before the rent is due. If you take your turn early, then get sabotaged, you are going to be s.o.l. on rent for that day - and that could be really costly early on.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #54
Galaxy
Coordinator

GALAXY84.

Just picked up my first property. $1.107 million for University Drive in Niagara Falls/Lewiston, NY part of the Niagara University (my school) campus. Long and pretty much right now to the Niagara river.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #55
Galaxy
Coordinator

How do you get cards, bonuses?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #56
Subby
lolzcat

Chance cards pop up randomly as you build houses.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #57
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Chance cards pop up randomly as you build houses.

29 houses and no cards.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #58
Subby
lolzcat

Bad dice rolls.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #59
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Good building types and strategy post + spreadsheet.
Doesn't this assume that property values and rent do not increase or decrease?

Is there no street and building value differences based on density or value?

I thought with every update you would see your value's going up or down. It would seem in areas where people are buying $500,000 places street values and rent would be going through the roof as opposed to areas where people are just build small $50,000 homes.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #60
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Doesn't this assume that property values and rent do not increase or decrease?

Is there no street and building value differences based on density or value?

I thought with every update you would see your value's going up or down. It would seem in areas where people are buying $500,000 places street values and rent would be going through the roof as opposed to areas where people are just build small $50,000 homes.
It doesn't work that way. Rent is based on street length.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #61
NewIdentity
High School JV

I am pretty much taking a defensive strategy on this one. Buying small street sections and immediately filling them to the brim.

I saw a guy who bought a huge highway in my city. Must have cost him a fortune. 1 big as street and 1 cottage. Scrath that, It now has 1 cottage and 1 factory.

BTW. I ended up getting with 1 factory, and 1 park. I put the factory on the previous mentioned land, but ended up waisting the park since all I had were small streets. I think the street I put it on has 4 buildings beside the park. Can you put a park on someone elses land like a factory and do you have to play that card immediately?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 09-18-2009 at 01:15 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #62
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

I'm in as w22allikrm.
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #63
Subby
lolzcat

You don't have to play the factory and I would just discard it since it only leads to retaliation in most instances.

As for the park (or any bonus building) you have to play it immediately.

The problem with buying small streets is the ROI on the building is absolutely awful.

When you get streets that cost a million and up, the ROI is 100% for the less expensive buildings. Buying a one mill street and plugging in green houses is the best way to quickly build capital.

Small streets are almost useless (unless you are just in it for the novelty of owning particular streets).

Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #64
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm Jeebs in the game and will be buying up street in NE El Paso for the time being. My one street at the moment is Titanic Ave($1.48m to buy, I believe), and it has 31 green houses on it and is just over halfway full. I got two or three demolish cards and a couple of factory cards, but no bonus buildings as of yet...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #65
BillyNYC
High School JV

BillyChi in the game.

Bought a long street outside of Pocatello, Idaho (where I spent a summer). Cost around $1.4M. Put 36 buildings on it (a mix of green and city cottages; both same ROI and figured I'd run out of space if I did like 50 green, so might as well get a little more income).

Am thinking that at some point (once you approach getting taxed), you take the diminishing returns and build larger buildings, but I could be wrong. Unless I'm missing something, seems pointless right now to spend on bigger (and less ROI) buildings.

Got some hazard chance cards, which I discarded. Got a few extra $ cards. On my 2nd to last building, got a park bonus so I'm protected. (Does that protection last forever?)

My one street now has a value of $3.834M and rent value of $3.5M. Presumably will get $3.5M tomorrow and rinse and repeat what I did today. Will change strategy when I have 5-6 streets and the tax looms.

I can see this getting kind of boring, unless I'm missing the point of the game.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #66
Subby
lolzcat

Bonus building can be demolished, so it's a good idea to buffer your valuable street with several.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #67
BillyNYC
High School JV

Yeah, just reread the rules on that.

Seems the idea of doing everything as close to re-set as possible makes sense then. That's a bit odd.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #68
Galaxy
Coordinator

I like that under the "local" scoreboard, you can whoever you like.

I put all FOFC guys in.

Do you guys try to buy one street at a time, build it up?

I have two (one was worth $1.07 million, long, and the other was a shorter one at $300k intersects).

The other street, which connects with the $300k street is worth $1.58 million and is insanely long. Should I buy this street ASAP once I have enough funds?

Is rent value of a street the amount of rent per day you'll receive?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Galaxy, I'm thinking it becomes a matter of taste on how/what to buy. Seems that concentrating on building up one or two valuable properties is smarter for cash generation early but would depend upon how quickly similarly lucrative streets get bought off the market.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #70
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm in! Bought the street I live on currently...N. 21st St. in SJ. Put some greenhouses on it. Looking for some other streets to buy.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm in! Bought the street I live on currently...N. 21st St. in SJ. Put some greenhouses on it. Looking for some other streets to buy.

If you want to stay in San Jose, Old Piedmont Rd has decent but not great length for $1.231 million (somebody already bought the $2.755m Piedmont Rd ). South Park Victoria Dr looks similar for $1.1m .

If you want to head east, United States Highway 19 (in Cumming, GA) is enormous but so is the $7.524m price tag. Similar would be Ashley River Rd in Charleston, SC for $7.737 million if you'd like to be truly bi-coastal. Upper River Rd in Aspen, Co ain't a bad mix of length & price IMO, $2.737 million. And Juniper Hill Rd in Brentwood, TN is one of the more interesting shaped roads I've seen with plenty of room for $3.247 million.

Yeah, you probably weren't looking for help or advice, I just thought it'd be a good chance for me to test my own target finding skills.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #72
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Galaxy, I'm thinking it becomes a matter of taste on how/what to buy. Seems that concentrating on building up one or two valuable properties is smarter for cash generation early but would depend upon how quickly similarly lucrative streets get bought off the market.

The risk is getting a hazard by having such a small concentration (and they'll target your most valuable real estate).

If you get a chance, check out my profile.

Do property values increase or decrease (without the value of the buildings included) over time? Does buying streets that are next to each other help? Does the impact of what other people build next to you (or say they get a hazard and can't collect) impact your rents/values?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
The risk is getting a hazard by having such a small concentration (and they'll target your most valuable real estate).

Which is why (as far as I can figure out) you cram as many small properties as possible into large streets in order to maximize the number of Chance cards you get & in turn give yourself more bonus buildings to multi-protect your cash cows. Plus with the new whacked out tax system, it's pretty clear that you're only going to own a finite number of streets since eventually you end up with a 100% tax rate if you keep buying (pretty much screwed the game over as anything more than a novelty to me with that move)

Quote:
Do property values increase or decrease (without the value of the buildings included) over time? Does buying streets that are next to each other help? Does the impact of what other people build next to you (or say they get a hazard and can't collect) impact your rents/values?

In order,
-- I believe they increase as you add buildings but based on a Subby comment earlier in the thread I'm not clear on whether your base rent payment for the street changes with them (I thought it did in v1, maybe not in v2 now?).
-- There was an early reference somewhere about bunching your streets together adding value but apparently that never happened/was removed.
-- Best I can tell, other people's streets have zero impact on yours.

And of course anyone has tinkered with it more than me or found something different, by all means let me know 'cause those are the beliefs I'm playing with.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #74
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm in as Passacaglia. Bought a 1.1 million street in Manistique, MI (the Upper Peninsula). I bought two green houses, and am getting ready to fill it up with as many as I can buy with the rest of my money.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #75
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Also, can you place green houses on a bridge? Is it any different than any other part of the road?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #76
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Also, can you place green houses on a bridge? Is it any different than any other part of the road?

Yes, I placed houses on a bridge.

I saw where you can buy some interstates, but not others. It also appears that you buy sections of highways.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #77
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
This may be the only time these words have even been spoken/posted

I'm as shocked as you are.

However, I think in this case, it would be best (or at least a big upgrade).
Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #78
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do the bonuses/hazards take place at the next turn and not right away (and if so, would you still collect rent for that day)? Would you see them right as soon as you/they place them or would it wait until the next turn?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Would you see them right as soon as you/they place them or would it wait until the next turn?

In v1. they physically appeared when you placed them just like your bonus buildings
Old 09-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #80
PineTar
High School JV

In.

username: PTPTPT
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #81
Passacaglia
Coordinator

All right, so I made another 3 mil in rent. Should I buy another street, or keep building houses on the street I have?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #82
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

benelou
Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #83
BillyNYC
High School JV

Been sabotaged. Feel free to use any unneeded hazards on TOLARN.

Hmmm...the leaderboard is odd. When I logged in, I was only person on local board. Figured "cool...no one will bother me". An hour later, 5 people are on the board (all with enough streets/houses to have definitely played yesterday). I guess maybe it only registers when people log in?

Also, the total value on the leaderboard, even though it says it updates daily, seems to have my value AFTER my day 2 "turns" rather than it reset. All the more reason to do your "turns" late in the game day, not early. Am at top of local leaderboard and likely will be a target the rest of today. Granted, not too many people in Pocatello, Idaho anyway, but already been sabotaged.

Bonuses seem rare. Bought a road and put 41 buildings on it. No bonus.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #84
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
All right, so I made another 3 mil in rent. Should I buy another street, or keep building houses on the street I have?

Made another 3 million? Did it start a new day already?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #85
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Been sabotaged. Feel free to use any unneeded hazards on TOLARN.

Hmmm...the leaderboard is odd. When I logged in, I was only person on local board. Figured "cool...no one will bother me". An hour later, 5 people are on the board (all with enough streets/houses to have definitely played yesterday). I guess maybe it only registers when people log in?

Also, the total value on the leaderboard, even though it says it updates daily, seems to have my value AFTER my day 2 "turns" rather than it reset. All the more reason to do your "turns" late in the game day, not early. Am at top of local leaderboard and likely will be a target the rest of today. Granted, not too many people in Pocatello, Idaho anyway, but already been sabotaged.

Bonuses seem rare. Bought a road and put 41 buildings on it. No bonus.

What happen with the a-hole?

I just got a demolish card....I will send TOLARN revenge. Of course, he already has two "hazards".

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #86
BillyNYC
High School JV

Eh it makes sense. Since am at top of local leaderboard, dude sabotaged me. I had a hazard card around (seems like you "keep" the last card you discard? When I logged in, the hazard card was there), so I sabotaged him back. Looks like someone else had already sabotaged a 2nd of his roads.

I think I've gotten like 7-8 hazard cards and only 1 bonus card. If that's the case, seems like will be alot about "hey, let's be nice and gang up on others" localwise. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #87
Galaxy
Coordinator

BillyNYC,

I took out one of his city cottages. Nothing special, but it's $36k rent per day.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #88
Galaxy
Coordinator

I just picked up a long, long road for $1.681 million.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #89
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Eh it makes sense. Since am at top of local leaderboard, dude sabotaged me. I had a hazard card around (seems like you "keep" the last card you discard? When I logged in, the hazard card was there), so I sabotaged him back. Looks like someone else had already sabotaged a 2nd of his roads.

I think I've gotten like 7-8 hazard cards and only 1 bonus card. If that's the case, seems like will be alot about "hey, let's be nice and gang up on others" localwise. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I placed a second factory on his highest valued property. I take it that you can't place hazards on roads in which they already have homes (kept getting the no space comment).
Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #90
Subby
lolzcat

Just took my second turn and more bad luck.

Not a single demolition card to help out BillyNC and I got another fine.

Good news was I finally got a bonus building, the 50th and final building on my first street (Old Chesterbrook Rd.). Rent value on Old Chesterbrook is now 3.672m.

Bought my second road, over in Arlington - N.Utah St.. Million dollar roads were already real hard to find, but came up with this one after some digging. Built 4 green houses before I ran out of money. Rent a paltry 348k.

Assuming no hazards I'll have 5m for Day 3. Will fill out N. Utah and then look to acquire another road with what I have left.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #91
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I just hit up TOLARN with a factory on one of his streets. But it already had a factory -- does that mean it earned no rent before? If so, I guess we should wait until he buys a new streets, and factorize that one.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #92
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I still can't figure out how to put a hazardon someone else's roads
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #93
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I just hit up TOLARN with a factory on one of his streets. But it already had a factory -- does that mean it earned no rent before? If so, I guess we should wait until he buys a new streets, and factorize that one.
Multiple hazards are good...

Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #94
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wow....

So Passacaglia and I put two factories on one's guys empire. TOLARN already had two of his three streets with hazards before I got to him.

Not to mention I did demo one of his cottages on his one-hazard free street.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #95
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

for you NoVa players:

Fairfax County Parkway $5.8M
and Telegraph Road $7.4M

are available
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #96
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Interesting. Certain streets in the game are impossible to obtain. Check out Broadway or Pennsylvania Ave. The values are astronomical on those roads, but they're already owned. The owner of Pennsylvania Ave ("Mr Monopoly") also seems to have ownership of several high-profile roads elsewhere in the world, as well. If it's the game owners doing this, I'm not sure what the motivation is. It's not like anyone playing the game can make some kind of statement by defacing these streets somehow.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #97
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Interesting. Certain streets in the game are impossible to obtain. Check out Broadway or Pennsylvania Ave. The values are astronomical on those roads, but they're already owned. The owner of Pennsylvania Ave ("Mr Monopoly") also seems to have ownership of several high-profile roads elsewhere in the world, as well. If it's the game owners doing this, I'm not sure what the motivation is. It's not like anyone playing the game can make some kind of statement by defacing these streets somehow.

I've read some place that they will sell those properties at some point.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #98
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Site acting wonky for anyone else? I put as many houses as I could on my street, and want to buy another, but whenever I search for one, it never loads.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #99
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm finding that streets seem to exist at a single point in their database, somewhere along their length, likely near their geographic center. So, if there's a street partially on your visible page but it doesn't come up on your list of ones to buy, try moving your view toward its center, and it likely will come up at another point. (I found this confusing at first, too)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #100
QuikSand
lolzcat

Given the reset just a day or two ago, I don't understand how some people have monstrous empires already. Either they are IP spoofers and cheating, or else they are insiders getting an unfair advantage. To the extent this is a contest (which it doesn't really feel like) that really makes it feel pretty empty.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote