Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #101
NewIdentity
High School JV

Yeah, I am scratching my head wondering what happened the first day.

The guy in first place has $2,210,803,000 and owns 777 streets?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #102
QuikSand
lolzcat

I pulled a bulldozer card, and am waiting...anyone hit with a hazard?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #103
QuikSand
lolzcat

...guess you can't do that, only on your own roads, it seems.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #104
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Given the reset just a day or two ago, I don't understand how some people have monstrous empires already. Either they are IP spoofers and cheating, or else they are insiders getting an unfair advantage. To the extent this is a contest (which it doesn't really feel like) that really makes it feel pretty empty.

I was wondering the same thing.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #105
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The reset was not a full reset. There was definitely leftover data from the game's last state before the reset. Some streets kept their last value before the reset, for example. I had built up the Columbus-Manchester Expressway in Columbus, GA from $1M to being a $16M road. And sure enough, it costs over $16M to buy in the "reset" version of the game. If some streets retained data from before the reset, it's not hard to believe that some players retained data from before the reset.

(And of course it's fully possible that it could be simply cheating or untoward "help"...)
Old 09-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #106
Ben E Lou

Dola:

But to be clear, this didn't happen to every street. It looks to me like 3 of my 8 streets from my pre-reset gaming kept something close to their final values, while the other 5 appear to have reverted to their original purchase prices. *shurg*
Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #107
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I bought a smaller street, not thinking, and plopped some houses down so the ROI will not be as good.

But I got two chance cards where I got an extra 1mil to build with.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #108
QuikSand
lolzcat

So now my main income-earning street is surrounded by owned streets, including at least one of these megabucks owners who already has a gazillion points and monstrous earning potential. Not sure what i can do if one of these JFs decide to attack me (I haven't had the good fortune to get one of the protection buildings yet, so all my income producing property is totally unguarded).

I'm intrigued by the game overall, but not sure what to think about this "head start" business in what seems to have the potential to devolve into combat.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #109
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is it possible to sell streets? I could see some douche creating multiple accounts and selling himself all of streets on the cheap.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #110
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Yeah, I am scratching my head wondering what happened the first day.

The guy in first place has $2,210,803,000 and owns 777 streets?
I still don't understand how the player with 777 streets made money last turn? Shouldn't the tax rate have killed him with that many streets.

I know he cheated to get the $2 Billion in net worth, but how did he show a profit with 777 streets?

Quote:
Tax
There is only one certainty in MONOPOLY City Streets. Tax. Just like in real life, tax now plays an integral part of the game. The first 5 streets that you own are tax-free. The current tax rate is 3% per street. For example, if you own 15 streets your tax will be 30% of your total rent collected every day. If you own 25 streets your tax will be 60%, etc.

How does 777 streets work into this equation? It does not say anything about a maximum rate so shouldn;t this player have actually lost money and ended up with a Negative number in his account?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 09-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #111
QuikSand
lolzcat

Do we think this game is being botted? There are some nonsensical "players" around me geographically - making me wonder if maybe that's what's going on.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If anyone gets a hazard card they don't have a use for, feel free to stick it to "DesertSnake" who dropped one on me rather randomly.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #113
Galaxy
Coordinator

Did they hire EA Sports to develop and manage this?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #114
Galaxy
Coordinator

What time is does the game advance?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #115
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The reset was not a full reset. There was definitely leftover data from the game's last state before the reset. Some streets kept their last value before the reset, for example. I had built up the Columbus-Manchester Expressway in Columbus, GA from $1M to being a $16M road. And sure enough, it costs over $16M to buy in the "reset" version of the game. If some streets retained data from before the reset, it's not hard to believe that some players retained data from before the reset.

(And of course it's fully possible that it could be simply cheating or untoward "help"...)

So...has anyone else seen this at work, or is it just me?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #116
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ben, I don't really understand what you're suggesting (I didn't play pre-reset). Do you think the now $16m road was still furnished with all the buildings that had been on it, when someone purchased it?

I'm pretty baffled by the massive discrepancies in the game post-reset. Not sure why, it's not like any of this really has much effect on me, I don't think. I don't expect any of these kajillionaire fucksnorts might give a rat's ass about me and my interest in snapping up scattered modest roadways that have some empty connection to my own life and travels. But it still pisses me off that I've done nearly everything I could to rack up 6 million points, and some other JFS has something like $2 billion already. Meh.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sounds like guys aren't having nearly the fun with this the 2nd time around. I haven't even re-registered, but I found it kinda annoying the first time too...until I managed to get a few streets I wanted and then that was all I did and I dunno.

Seems a bit intense.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #118
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

That makes sense. I guess not surprising, but disappointing.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The taxation for anything over 5 streets largely killed any hardcore interest for me, there had to be a better way to handle that. Combined with the bizarro high scores situation, this looks like it took a big step backwards with the restart.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #120
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Ben, I don't really understand what you're suggesting (I didn't play pre-reset). Do you think the now $16m road was still furnished with all the buildings that had been on it, when someone purchased it?
No. No one had purchased it. It was sitting there costing either very nearly or (probably) exactly what it would have cost to purchase it from me when I had a bunch of buildings on it.

I'm using the past tense in the above paragraph because I just checked it again, and as of now the Columbus-Manchester Expressway is down to $7,029,000 to purchase, still unbought. Very weird stuff. I wonder if it will continue to go down in cost.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The game is pretty much toast after looking at the blog. The devs have issued a mild warning about cheating but let's face it, when a player has over $2 billion dollars after a couple of days, they couldn't find their asses with both hands, a bloodhound, and several fancy maps. I'm starting to think they should have called this Maxmium Mnooplyp.

Awfully nice idea, horrendous implementation.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #122
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The taxation for anything over 5 streets largely killed any hardcore interest for me, there had to be a better way to handle that. Combined with the bizarro high scores situation, this looks like it took a big step backwards with the restart.

I agree, but I'll still play it. How you do a tax system?

One the problems is you could just buy any street and load it up with green houses (no incentive to build up bigger properties).

I wonder how you would fix the cheating.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-19-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #123
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Seems its pretty simple, using a single competitive account, to

create a dummy account
buy $3M worth of streets
Accept an offer from your competitive account for $1.00
rinse and repeat
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #124
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
If anyone gets a hazard card they don't have a use for, feel free to stick it to "DesertSnake" who dropped one on me rather randomly.

I gave him a couple.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #125
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Been sabotaged. Feel free to use any unneeded hazards on TOLARN.

Hmmm...the leaderboard is odd. When I logged in, I was only person on local board. Figured "cool...no one will bother me". An hour later, 5 people are on the board (all with enough streets/houses to have definitely played yesterday). I guess maybe it only registers when people log in?

Also, the total value on the leaderboard, even though it says it updates daily, seems to have my value AFTER my day 2 "turns" rather than it reset. All the more reason to do your "turns" late in the game day, not early. Am at top of local leaderboard and likely will be a target the rest of today. Granted, not too many people in Pocatello, Idaho anyway, but already been sabotaged.

Bonuses seem rare. Bought a road and put 41 buildings on it. No bonus.

Looks like TOLARN put up a stadium, which protects the street from hazards. So I demolished it.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #126
BillyNYC
High School JV

Looks like lots of competition in Pocatello, Idaho. As long as I'm near the top of the local leaderboard, people will come for me I guess.

Furyus1 (who is just below me on leaderboard) tore down my park.

Got rent for my non-sabotaged property. Bulldozed my hazard. Still have $3M left. Will take those "turns" closer to the end of the day. If someone sabotages me, I want to have $3M to buy houses to get chance cards to tear it down (or to get revenge).

Looks like defense is important, especially in a smaller marker where local leaderboard is competitive and those below try to tear you down (literally and figuratively). Not buying a 3rd street until I can "fortify" my first 2 with bonuses.

Also, notably the #1 guy on the local board now is shown as having just one very small street and no money. Possible (likely?) he sold to a friend/multi for really cheap.

Last edited by BillyNYC : 09-19-2009 at 11:54 PM.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #127
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
done
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #128
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Furyus1 (who is just below me on leaderboard) tore down my park.
Demolished one of his Photat bldgs.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to those who hazarded the arsehole who hazarded me earlier.

Question about hazards & bonus buildings though. If there's an existing hazard placed on your street & you subsequently place a bonus building on the same street without bulldozing the hazard, does the bonus bldg wipe out the rent loss? I thought the answer was no but if the info my deeds showed after doing that was correct then answer is actually yes.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #130
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks to those who hazarded the arsehole who hazarded me earlier.

Question about hazards & bonus buildings though. If there's an existing hazard placed on your street & you subsequently place a bonus building on the same street without bulldozing the hazard, does the bonus bldg wipe out the rent loss? I thought the answer was no but if the info my deeds showed after doing that was correct then answer is actually yes.

I think the answer is yes also -- TOLARN built a stadium after the hazards, and the two hazards were still there, and the street was collecting rent. Then when I demolished his stadium, it stopped collecting rent again.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #131
Ben E Lou

I'm not getting how even multi accounts can bring in that much money. There is a minimum that you can purchase a street from someone else for, and it appears to be right around the value of the street, plus the buildings. It seems like you'd have to create several hundred accounts to get the kind of money these guys are seeing, unless I'm really missing something.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #132
NewIdentity
High School JV

Looks like they fixed the cheating. After 2 days the guy in 1st place has 15 Billion followed closely by the guy in second at $14 Billion.

There is no value in real life streets? Yesterday, I followed the advice here and picked up a long county road in the middle of nowhere, and now it is my best property. Before I was buying what I thought was valueable property, Downtown or near a private country club.

I think if I just continue to buy these county roads in the middle of nowhere it should limit my chances for sabotage. But, how fun is this knowing that no matter what I do I will never get on the leader board.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 09-20-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #133
Ben E Lou

Quote:
No. No one had purchased it. It was sitting there costing either very nearly or (probably) exactly what it would have cost to purchase it from me when I had a bunch of buildings on it.

I'm using the past tense in the above paragraph because I just checked it again, and as of now the Columbus-Manchester Expressway is down to $7,029,000 to purchase, still unbought. Very weird stuff. I wonder if it will continue to go down in cost.
...and this morning, the Expressway is still unpurchased, but back up to $16.438M to buy.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #134
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not getting how even multi accounts can bring in that much money. There is a minimum that you can purchase a street from someone else for, and it appears to be right around the value of the street, plus the buildings. It seems like you'd have to create several hundred accounts to get the kind of money these guys are seeing, unless I'm really missing something.

The blog had an example someone found of what was pretty obviously a bot (Name01, Name02, up to some silly number I forget) creating accounts, buying streets, even placing hazards. Get several of those working, then one more to handle the trades & it seems like you could almost hands-free manage an absurd number of accounts.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-20-2009 at 10:20 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #135
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
...and this morning, the Expressway is still unpurchased, but back up to $16.438M to buy.
Hmm..,. So, if you would have bought that property yesterday for $7mil yesterday, could you have sold it today for $16mil?
Michael Jordan
Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #136
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

LOW B HOI put a factory on one of my streets, if anyone wants to make him pay.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #137
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone know how I use demolish card on one of my own properties? Can't seem to figure it out.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #138
PineTar
High School JV

Just dropped a sewage plant on one of LOW B HOI's streets.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #139
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Awfully nice idea, horrendous implementation.

From the looks of it, I agree with both statements.

Is there a way to develop a web-based game (of this nature) that is secure (using whatever definition you want)?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 09-20-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #140
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
From the looks of it, I agree with both statements.

Is there a way to develop a web-based game (of this nature) that is secure (using whatever definition you want)?

Like anything computer related, there's no such thing as completely secure. You can make it Really Hard to cheat/hack/whatever (which it looks like these guys didn't even cover the basics), but that's about it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #141
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

The rent on high dollar streets is insane. I just bought an $11M road and a $75K house gets me $820K in rent.
Denial Of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #142
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial Of Freedom View Post
The rent on high dollar streets is insane. I just bought an $11M road and a $75K house gets me $820K in rent.
Yeah...the one thing I can say for the new tax set-up is that it does encourage building more expensive structures. Otherwise, I'd still be building nothing but $50K houses and collecting a 7:1 ratio of rent. Five roads is too few, but at least it does create an incentive to build something larger.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #143
QuikSand
lolzcat

Back to more banal stuff...I have not been reading any strategy blogs, etc, but I may have stumbled upon a nice profit-maximizing approach. If you place two of the second-smallest units at the closest possible interval, you can then go back and squeeze in a green house in between them. I think that pushes more rent into the space than you'd get from just green houses. Not sure if the spreadsheet Subby posted had taken this into account. For lower-tier players just getting rolling, this seems better then just placing all green houses (I guess the Chance card is the drawback, though I personally still haven't seen a Chance card offering me a special building).
Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #144
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar View Post
Just dropped a sewage plant on one of LOW B HOI's streets.
Ditto

Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #145
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Soulcry just demolished one of my bonus buildings. Make him pay if you wish.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #146
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Does anyone know how I use demolish card on one of my own properties? Can't seem to figure it out.

I still can't figure this out. I want to get rid of the hazard on my property. I have a bulldozing card, but I can't figure out how to destroy the hazard.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #147
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Ditto

Thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #148
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I still can't figure this out. I want to get rid of the hazard on my property. I have a bulldozing card, but I can't figure out how to destroy the hazard.
Click the plus next to the building and click Demolish when the building card comes up.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #149
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Demolished one of his grid buildings.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #150
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I just demolished a building of his that was earning over $1M per day.