Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #551
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

If the wins were on Southgate, so is the loss. They went 128 minutes plus added time having his team try not to score.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #552
bhlloy
Coordinator

I will never understand why players put penalties in a place that is a guaranteed save for the goalie if he goes the right way.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #553
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
The UK is about to be super racist based on who made and missed the penalties.

I hope not, and would like to think not, but based on scenes from earlier today in Leicester Square and at Wembley, and past social media fuckwittery, ther will likely be some
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #554
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
The UK is about to be super racist based on who made and missed the penalties.

Not the UK, a good chunk of the UK was cheering for Italy.

It's gone to Rome, it's gone to Rome, footballs gone to Rome.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #555
whomario
Pro Starter

Good psychology there Gareth, counting on 2 guys you ignored all tournament for mystical reasons, waiting till the last Minute to sub them on ("look guys, can't risk you ruining it for those hardworking lads, you understand, right ?") and hoping they somehow despite all that step up in the most stressfull situation in the sport. And then great that none of the others had the balls of the 19 year old year old to step up.

Hope the idiots among those in London don't cause too much damage out of frustration. Though seeing scenes from before the game, maybe better a loss than a win in that regard. Homo Mobus at it's best.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #556
AlexB
Pro Starter

As a slight aside, I know how to deal with this. Nearly but not quite is my default as an England fan, a Miami Dolphins fan and a Leicester City fan (although amazingly the latter is becoming the exception that proves the rule)

I vividly remember being in South Australia in 2003 when England won the rugby world cup. There were four of us English amongst a bar full of Australians, and when we won with a last minute drop goal there was silence, followed by an awkward silence as we didn’t really know what to do, broken by one of the other three (I wish it were me, but can’t claim it) simply shouting ‘We f***ing won something!”

We’re good and comfortable with failure. Don’t worry about us!

Last edited by AlexB : 07-11-2021 at 05:16 PM. Reason: My maths isn’t great
Old 07-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #557
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am serious. I say it with great trepidation. Putting all my cards on the table, I am usually one that laughs at that false hope that you describe.

I like the squad both as players and what I have seen of them as people from afar. I expect England to play more on the front foot. Not an all out attack but more of a possession game. I don't necessarily think it will be intentional as Southgate is not comfortable with that style but he is more willing to let it happen if it is working if that makes sense. I think the injury to Henderson will be a blessing in disguise that will force a more possession style earlier in matches. Hopefully that will lead to more goals and allow Henderson to come in after an hour and shore things up. I think the criticism of Pickford as a England GK is harsh. He is not the same keeper for England that he is for Everton. The defense is problematic. I can't deny that. That defense is another reason to play more on the front foot IMO. Finally, I am down on the other traditional powers. I don't trust teams managed by Roberto Martinez who I like so I can't pick Belgium. I don't trust teams managed by Frank DeBoer who I don't like so I can't pick Netherlands. Germany, Spain, Italy, and Spain are either too early or too late in their squad development IMO. Of course there is France, but who wants to pick the favorite if they are not putting any money on it.

So yes, I am picking England and I really hope they win. Just try to make sure your fellow supporters are not too insufferable when they do. Deal?

Welp. Let's take a review shall we?

I was wrong about playing on the front foot. If he does not want to do it with this squad. I don't know if he ever will.

I feel like I was right about Pickford. Not sure what else he could have done better in this tournament.

I feel like I was wrong about the defense. I can't really think of a point where Shaw, Stones, McGuire, Trippier, or Walker put a foot wrong. They gave up two goals all tournament. I think this what was so frustrating about not playing a more attacking style. I believe the defense would have held up.

Obviously, I was wrong about Italy. They are ahead of schedule. The other teams were about what I expected.

Southgate deserves criticism for his decisions today. He is the manager. Him getting crushed is part of the job. And the penalties were garbage. That being said, he deserves credit for getting them to the final. I would say the criticism should not go overboard but I know that will happen.

This ends my time as an England supporter.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #558
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jeez Louise Southgate. He had a great gameplan early on but then had nothing for Mancini's adjustments. And criminal misuse of Sancho in this tournament.

And now the rest of the Gold Cup (and glad the US sent a B team after what happened to Chucky Lozano last night)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-11-2021 at 06:10 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #559
miami_fan
Coordinator

One more thing about Italy. I am happy that they won with a more attacking style. Hopefully this leads to the top nations copying them in the way nations reportedly have been trying to emulate Portugal and France.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #560
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
One more thing about Italy. I am happy that they won with a more attacking style. Hopefully this leads to the top nations copying them in the way nations reportedly have been trying to emulate San Marino and Andorra.
There, fixed that for ya.

To piggyback on your observation, it felt really awkward to have a slight preference for Italy to win against England, it was almost counterintuitive. It appeared to me that England was playing with 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders all tournament, while Italy was so self confident about their defenders being good enough, they dared to actually attack. They showcased it in their first game and kind of held up throughout. And rightfully so, they've been unbeatable for almost 2 years now (closing in on 3 years: September 10th 2018, apparently).

As impressive as Donnarumma has been, because he was almost unbeatable and deserves the accolades, it's kind of sad when a goalkeeper is called player of the tournament. It's a sign of how unimpressive teams have been up front, or that no single player was capable of shining.

To me there were like 5 matches really enjoyable: Belgium-Denmark, Belgium-Italy, Portugal-Germany (where Germany's all out offense approach almost cost them the game) and the double header of Spain-Croatia and France-Switzerland. I almost completely missed the Group F conclusive final group games drama (Portugal-France and Germany-Hungary) which sounds like that was fun to witness and probably deserves to be mentioned.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-11-2021 at 07:06 PM. Reason: dug up Italy's impressive streak
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #561
miami_fan
Coordinator

Harsh but if the shoe fits...
Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #562
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have no idea what to do with yesterday's USMNT match other than they won the match.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #563
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I can't tell from Twitter, but did England go racist today or is it prominent people trying to go pre-emptive anti-racist?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #564
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't tell from Twitter, but did England go racist today or is it prominent people trying to go pre-emptive anti-racist?

Your prediction was true. I've seen some retweets of some pretty ugly internet behavior this morning.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #565
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I know soccer hooligans have been a thing forever.

But it does seems to have gotten worse.

Now, everyone just assumes that there will be lots of riots and racism for any big match. It used to be outliers. Now it is the norm.

People need to mature.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #566
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
But it does seems to have gotten worse.

Football in the UK was banned twice by Kings dating back to the 1300s.

And multiple deaths - not even counting the large number incident due to a stampede trying to flee violence - aren't unknown.

Unless there was something major I've missed, maybe try to not get carried away with recency bias.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #567
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, understatement of the year. In the 80s English clubs were banned from Europe after Heysel and pretty much every league game we played up until the late 90s had trouble, you just needed to know where to go to find it. Now Troy le at an English league game is basically unheard of. England still have a significant minority of idiots, but I’ve seen much worse riots in downtown LA and Vancouver after championship games in the last ten years off the top of my head.

As for racism, it’s completely despicable and I wish that it was taken more seriously, but there also wasn’t social media 20 years ago. It’s a million times better than it was in the 90s where edgy chants and casual racism was just part of the experience, and go back another 10-20 years and black players were being booed by their own supporters. Still lots of work to do, but not something that is getting worse. Just easier for racist idiots to get a platform now sadly.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #568
BYU 14
Coordinator

For sure the 80's and 90's were much worse and unfortunately racism has always been an ingrained piece of portions of many of the football Firms. If you are interested in a fairly good depiction of the insanity that is hooliganism check out 'Among the Thugs' by Bill Buford. Most of today's antics are mild in comparison.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #569
whomario
Pro Starter

Go long far enough and nothing got "worse", but that doesn't mean it isn't worse than 10 years ago. What was bad yesterday imo has little to do with football or fandom*, just a general symptom of the common issue of people more and more conflating freedom with "fuck everybody else", which of course is inflated when the group is a big one. Not going to get much bigger than yesterday. It's toxicity and self-ascribed carte blanche to be an idiot for a day more than anything organised. As a result, the demografic gets more and more narrow (i mean, can you imagine going to Leicester square Yesterday as a family or say a 70 year old ?) which again reinforces the feeling of being this closed group setting imo.

Clubs in the UK have pretty much 'gentrified' their fan bases a lot, both deliberately and as a byproduct of pricing and no standing room areas. For a good while now most issues seemed to have arisen from NT supporters going abroad, which was a big topic at the last few tournaments, 2016 for example in Marseille clashing with russian Hooligans (IIRC there were big efforts to keep lots of known violent people from travelling in 2018 ?).

But again, what was going on yesterday was a bit different.

England's hooligan problem: Why do some Three Lions fans cause such trouble away from home?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #570
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with those that say this is not a return of the hooliganism of the late 70's or the 80's. I can't say that it is not becoming a thing though. What will be interesting is how it is viewed by fans and the authorities.

Those gentrified fans for both club and country that whomario talked about have no interest in going back to those days. In fact many of them stayed away or were kept away because of incidents like what happened yesterday. I don't think they will hang around if that sort of environment continues. On the other hand, the fans who caused all the trouble yesterday have to be pinching themselves at the "freedom" they were given to cause havoc. I mentioned my concern with having a match at 8pm when England was facing Scotland. Turns out I was worried about the wrong match.

Of course the authorities have more egg on their faces. The events before the game showed a benefit of the doubt given to all supporters was not rewarded by some. The authorities also did not have the option of blaming the supporters from the other team coming in and starting trouble. Is the response to this to give more benefit of the doubt or show more of a presence on matchday? The events at Wembley represent the second breach of a football stadium in the country in the last three months. This one was not nearly as cute and can't be laughed off as easily as the one at Old Trafford. On top of all that, add in the comparisons of policing yesterday with policing of other events that is already happening and the tenuous relationship the authorities have with the football supporters historically. There are not too many win/win solutions for both fans and authorities.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #571
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
So after today Messi will no longer be under contract with Barcelona. I'm not really thinking he is leaving the club any longer, because if he was it would be one of the best kept secrets in all of sport. It's interesting seeing the club struggle so much financially and be so desperate to keep ahold of him. And at the same time Messi seems fine with holding out on signing any renewal until he gets the same exhorbhant wages as he did previously. Perhaps it's too late to make such a big leap to a new country and league at this point, but there is no way Barcelona will be competing at the biggest stages in the next season or two and it'd be disappointing to see him go out with such a whimper.

Lionel Messi agrees Barcelona contract, accepts significant wage cut - sources
Old 07-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #572
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

And from what I've read elsewhere it's still dependent on getting rid of some other large salaries. I imagine Barcelona are very desperate to rid themselves of Griezmann now. Funny how that move worked out for them in the end.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #573
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Garbriel Heinze relieved of duties as Atlanta United manager

Two managers in a row who haven't been able to get much of anything out of a roster that increasingly appears to be more talented on paper than on the pitch.
They could probably do worse than to just let them coach themselves, that seems to be what they're most interested in.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-18-2021 at 03:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #574
Critch
lolzcat

31 year old EPL first team player has been arrested on child sex charges. Manchester police arent naming him, but if you look through the Man City and Man Utd squads there's only one 31 year old. If that's not jumping to conclusions.

If you are jumping to conclusions, Man City need a new right back.

Last edited by Critch : 07-19-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #575
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
31 year old EPL first team player has been arrested on child sex charges. Manchester police arent naming him, but if you look through the Man City and Man Utd squads there's only one 31 year old. If that's not jumping to conclusions.

If you are jumping to conclusions, Man City need a new right back.

Negative, Ghost Rider.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #576
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Club Statement
Old 07-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #577
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So that's one of two guys based on a quick age search of Everton roster. Assuming the age 31 thing is accurate.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-19-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #578
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And based on all the jokes/memes all over Twitter, I guess it's Sigurdsson.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #579
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know they are restricted by law, but I find it kind of cute that the press does not print the name of the individual who is charged.

EDIT: I am talking specifically about the British press.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-19-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #580
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I know they are restricted by law, but I find it kind of cute that the press does not print the name of the individual who is charged.

EDIT: I am talking specifically about the British press.

It's all rapped up pretty tight right now. The UK soccer board I'm on is locking threads the moment they pop up, banning people and has a stickied warning about "do not discuss the EPL case or you will be banned".

Kind of disappointed it's not Kyle Walker.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #581
AlexB
Pro Starter

Gotta love the Norwich manager Daniel Farke. At 4:14 in the video, the kind of answer you’d love more managers to give…

Q: “And in your wildest dreams, as well as being established [in the Premier League], a trophy or two?”

A: “In my wildest dreams, I don’t dream about football, that’s for sure!”

Last edited by AlexB : 07-22-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #582
miami_fan
Coordinator

Not professional, doesn't take the game seriously! He even had the nerve to laugh after he gave that unprofessional answer. Give 'em the sack!

Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #583
Critch
lolzcat

There seems to be a lot of press talk that Harry Kane is going to sign for Man City for 160 million pounds in the next few days. Seems a lot for a striker who's injured a lot and couldnt get out of Grant Hanley's pocket v Scotland.

As a reminder of how football used to be, here's a video from 1960 when everybody still wore a shirt and tie and players did their own gardening (while wearing a shirt and tie):

Coincidentally it's Spurs v Man City at the end.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #584
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not a chance in hell that will be the actual transfer fee. Way more than double what City have ever payed for a player. If it's accurate in any sense, which it's probably not since it's from an entertainment columnist at The Sun, it is probably the fee plus total wage package. The English press like to do that from time to time, generally when United aren't involved.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:17 PM   #585
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That said, I do think it's going to happen. And if it actually does happen in July (and not something like late August after City play Spurs), then it probably will be done for a rather obscene/Paul Pogba-esque amount. 100m plus 20 more in incentives might be right. I think Pep really likes him and doesn't want to fuck about in what will probably be his last 2-3 seasons with the club.

With KDB giving him service he might be the first to reach 40 goals in the PL.

Edit: Wake up to news this morning that City have briefed the media that they would never pay such a fee - that's not shocking. They haven't said that he's not a target, however, and that's something they have briefed for some other players. It will happen, but there is still a ways to go and Spurs probably want their own targets nailed down before it gets announced. We're probably at least a couple of weeks away from something being announced on Kane.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 07-23-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #586
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm sorry, sov, but you can't be that naive, even as a supporter. Manchester City proclaiming they won't pay such a fee... They are by a wide margin the club that has spent the most transfer fees of €50M (just to grab some random absurdly high number) and up.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #587
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pretty big difference between paying 50-70m for individual players and 160m, no? I'm only convinced they will do three figures this time around because they are trying to replace a legend in the most expensive position.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #588
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I'm sorry, sov, but you can't be that naive, even as a supporter. Manchester City proclaiming they won't pay such a fee... They are by a wide margin the club that has spent the most transfer fees of €50M (just to grab some random absurdly high number) and up.

I have to ask for a source on the bolded part by the way.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #589
MIJB#19
Coordinator

You can ask, but you shall not receive from my end. You should actually know better than me whether it's true or not as a fan of the club. It's common knowledge that Manchester City has the highest overall spending of all soccer clubs in the world over the past 5 years and a bit. Mind you, I was in no way saying they're making the craziest single player transfers (like the absurdity surrounding Kylian Mpabbι and Neymar jr that Paris SG managed to get away with), but the highest overall.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #590
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Knew you wouldn't source that, because it's bullshit.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #591
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Knew you wouldn't source that, because it's bullshit.
C'mon, you're better than that.

There are plenty of websites out there that track all the transfers that happen, it isn't all that hard to look this kind of stuff up. Expand your horizon. And I'm sure none of those sites are created to make the football clubs from Manchester look better than the other clubs that pay exorbitant transfer fees (not just City). They;'ll be honest about the absurdity that's going on in Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, parts of London, Turin... But Manchester is the soccer world capital of expensive transfer.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #592
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Need proof that City have the most 50m transfers by a wide margin plz k thx
Old 07-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #593
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not that it particularly matters…

Ranking every transfer in Premier League history over £50m from worst to best | GiveMeSport
Old 07-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #594
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pos. Player Clubs Year Fee
1 Neymar Barcelona - PSG 2017 €222m
2 Kylian Mbappe Monaco - PSG 2017 €145m (+€35m)
3 Joao Felix Benfica - Atletico Madrid 2019 €126m
4 Philippe Coutinho Liverpool - Barcelona 2018 €120m (+€40m)
4 Antoine Griezmann Atletico Madrid - Barcelona 2019 €120m
6 Ousmane Dembele Borussia Dortmund - Barcelona 2017 €105m (+€45m)
6 Paul Pogba Juventus - Manchester United 2016 €105m
8 Gareth Bale Tottenham - Real Madrid 2013 €100.8m
9 Cristiano Ronaldo Real Madrid - Juventus 2018 €100m
9 Eden Hazard Chelsea - Real Madrid 2019 €100m (+€40m)
11 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United - Real Madrid 2009 €94m
12 Gonzalo Higuain Napoli - Juventus 2016 €90m
13 Harry Maguire Leicester City - Manchester United 2019 €87.1m
14 Neymar Santos - Barcelona 2013 €86.2m
15 Jadon Sancho Borussia Dortmund - Manchester United 2021 €85.3m
16 Romelu Lukaku Everton - Manchester United 2017 €84.8m
17 Virgil van Dijk Southampton - Liverpool 2018 €84.5m
18 Luis Suarez Liverpool - Barcelona 2014 €82.3m
19 James Rodriguez Monaco - Real Madrid 2014 €80m
19 Kepa Arrizabalaga Athletic Club - Chelsea 2018 €80m
19 Lucas Hernandez Atletico Madrid - Bayern Munich 2019 €80m
19 Romelu Lukaku Manchester United - Inter 2019 €80m
23 Nicolas Pepe Lille - Arsenal 2019 €79m
24 Alvaro Morata Real Madrid - Chelsea 2017 €78.9m
25 Zinedine Zidane Juventus - Real Madrid 2001 €77.5m
26 Matthijs de Ligt Ajax - Juventus 2019 €75m (+€10.5m)
26 Kevin De Bruyne Wolfsburg - Manchester City 2015 €75m
26 Frenkie de Jong Ajax - Barcelona 2019 €75m
29 Angel Di Maria Real Madrid - Manchester United 2014 €74.6m
30 Alisson Becker Roma - Liverpool 2018 €73m
31 Arthur Melo Barcelona - Juventus 2020 €72m (+€10m)
32 Kai Havertz Bayer Leverkusen - Chelsea 2020 €70m (+€9m)
32 Luka Jovic Frankfurt - Real Madrid 2019 €70m
32 Rodri Atletico Madrid - Manchester City 2019 €70m
35 Zlatan Ibrahimovic Inter - Barcelona 2009 €69.5m
36 Raheem Sterling Liverpool - Manchester City 2015 €69.1m
37 Ruben Dias Benfica - Manchester City 2020 €68m (+€3.6m)
38 Riyad Mahrez Leicester City - Manchester City 2019 €67.8m
39 Diego Costa Chelsea - Atletico Madrid 2018 €66m
40 Thomas Lemar Monaco - Atletico Madrid 2018 €65m
40 Kaka AC Milan - Real Madrid 2009 €65m
40 Aymeric Laporte Athletic Club - Manchester City 2018 €65m
40 Joao Cancelo Juventus - Manchester City 2019 €65m (inc. Danilo)
44 Edinson Cavani Napoli - PSG 2013 €64.5m
45 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Borussia Dortmund - Arsenal 2018 €63.75m
46 David Luiz Chelsea - PSG 2014 €62.5m
47 Angel Di Maria Manchester United - PSG 2015 €61.6m
48 Oscar Chelsea - Shanghai SIPG 2017 €60.3m
49 Achraf Hakimi Inter - PSG 2021 €60m (+€11m)
49 Miralem Pjanic Juventus - Barcelona 2020 €60m (+€5m)
49 Naby Keita RB Leipzig - Liverpool 2018 €60m
49 Luis Figo Barcelona - Real Madrid 2000 €60m
49 Tanguy Ndombele Lyon - Tottenham 2019 €60m
54 Fernando Torres Liverpool - Chelsea 2011 €59m
55 Fred Shakhtar Donetsk - Manchester United 2018 €58.9m
55 Jorginho Napoli - Chelsea 2018 €58.9m
57 Hulk Zenit - Shanghai SIPG 2016 €58.6m
58 Benjamin Mendy Monaco - Manchester City 2017 €58.2m
59 John Stones Everton - Manchester City 2016 €58m
60 Kyle Walker Tottenham - Manchester City 2017 €56.7m
61 Ben Chilwell Leicester City - Chelsea 2020 €55.8m
62 Bruno Fernandes Sporting - Manchester United 2020 €55m (+€25m)
62 Hernan Crespo Parma - Lazio 2000 €55m
64 Alexandre Lacazette Lyon - Arsenal 2017 €53m (+€7m)
64 Timo Werner RB Leipzig - Chelsea 2020 €53m
66 Gianluigi Buffon Parma - Juventus 2001 €52m
67 Eliaquim Mangala Porto - Manchester City 2014 €51.7m
68 Alex Teixeira Shakhtar Donetsk - Jiangsu Suning 2016 €50m
68 Bernardo Silva Monaco - Manchester City 2017 €50m
68 Fabinho Monaco - Liverpool 2018 €50m
68 Eder Militao Porto - Real Madrid 2019 €50m
68 Aaron Wan-Bissaka Crystal Palace - Manchester United 2019 €50m
68 Thomas Partey Atletico Madrid - Arsenal 2020 €50m
68 Victor Oshimhen Lille - Napoli 2020 €50m
75 Anthony Martial Monaco - Manchester United 2015 €49.3m
76 Gylfi Sigurdsson Swansea City - Everton 2017 €49.2m
77 Leroy Sane Manchester City - Bayern Munich 2020 €49m (+€11m)
77 Christian Vieri Lazio - Inter 1999 €49m
79 Gaizka Mendieta Valencia - Lazio 2001 €48m
79 Ferland Mendy Lyon - Real Madrid 2019 €48m
81 Mesut Ozil Real Madrid - Arsenal 2013 €47m
82 Juan Sebastian Veron Lazio - Manchester United 2001 €46m
82 Rio Ferdinand Leeds United - Manchester United 2002 €46m
82 Ronaldo Inter - Real Madrid 2002 €46m
82 Juan Mata Chelsea - Manchester United 2014 €46m
82 Douglas Costa Bayern Munich - Juventus 2017 €46m
87 Christian Benteke Aston Villa - Liverpool 2015 €45.8m
88 Diogo Jota Wolves - Liverpool 2020 €45.1m (+€4.4m)
89 James Rodriguez Porto - Monaco 2013 €45m
89 Joao Mario Sporting C.P. - Inter 2016 €45m
89 Granit Xhaka Borussia Monchengladbach - Arsenal 2016 €45m
89 Tiemoue Bakayoko Monaco - Chelsea 2017 €45m
89 Richarlison Watford - Everton 2018 €45m
89 Vinicius Junior Flamengo - Real Madrid 2018 €45m
89 Rodrygo Santos - Real Madrid 2019 €45m
89 Mateo Kovacic Real Madrid - Chelsea 2019 €45m
89 Sebastien Haller Eintracht Frankfurt - West Ham 2019 €45m
98 Nemanja Matic Chelsea - Manchester United 2017 €44.7m
99 Youri Tielemans Monaco - Leicester City 2019 €44.6m
100 Leroy Sane Schalke - Manchester City 2016 €44m
Old 07-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #595
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quite the "wide margin", lazybutt.

Manchester United--13
Manchester City--13
Real Madrid--13
Chelsea--9
Barcelona--8
PSG--6
Arsenal--6
Juventus--6
Liverpool--6
Atletico--3
Inter--3
Leicester City--1
Old 07-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #596
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Quite the "wide margin", lazybutt.

Manchester United--13
Manchester City--13
Real Madrid--13
Chelsea--9
Barcelona--8
PSG--6
Arsenal--6
Juventus--6
Liverpool--6
Atletico--3
Inter--3
Leicester City--1

Again, I don’t know why I’m getting involved as I don’t care who buys who for how much, but on the basis that it was £50m originally (I only noticed as I know we have never spent that much, so I was curious as to the validity of the data when we appeared to have 1 on your list!)…

United have five £40-49.9m transfers, Real four, City 1, Chelsea 2, Barca nil, and Leicester one

So based on that list City do indeed have 3 more £50m+ transfers than the next club with 12, so MIJB was right.

But what does it matter? PSG, Barca, United & Real will have spent more overall than City.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #597
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh, I just thought it'd be funny to put Leicester on there. It wasn't a dig at all. If it was apparent enough, MIJB is the lazybutt.

MIJB said wide margin, so no he definitely is not right.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 07-24-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:49 PM   #598
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is (ok, are) Qutar really this good?
Old 07-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #599
Butter
Coordinator

Probably not, CONCACAF is just that weak
Old 07-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #600
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Qatar are the Asian champions, so yeah they are pretty decent.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk