Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #401
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Spanglish - Wasn't funny, which isn't totally surprising since I haven't found Sandler's last few movies funny. However, I was still moderately entertained. That may have been due in part to the stunning Paz Vega. I'll give it a 4/10.

Envy - I heard from a friend this was "hilarious." I usually like Jack Black. It wasn't funny nor was it entertaining. 2/10.

I'm surprised that you found Envy so bad. I didn't think it was one of his best works, but I was quite entertained by it. Christopher Walken was amazing in that movie.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #402
Easy Mac

The Sisters - Eh, better than I thought, though I really had no idea what it was, so no expectations. Will from Will and Grace was good and Maria Bello is hot. Very theatrical, though I heard it was based on the play. A bit saucy, but never really packed a huge bite. 5.8/10

Chasing Liberty - Somewhat old Mandy Moore vehicle. Also had Matthew Goode, a British actor who seems to be pretty good in all the roles I've seen him in (Match Point, Imagine Me and You). Do I really need a reason to watch a Mandy Moore movie? No. She's infectious, in a good way.
6.1/10

Imagine Me and You - For some reason this gay movie got overlooked while Brokeback got all the praise. Its a shame, because this was actually a damn fine movie. Granted, the whole Lesbian instead of male gay thing helped, but it was generally a good, amusing movie. As I said, Matthew Goode steals his scenes. Hell, even Piper Perabo was cute in it, which takes some work after the asstacular job she put on in Coyote Ugly. If you're going to see one Gay/Lesbian movie from 2005, see this (though I hear Mysterious skin was good)
7.9/10

Dave Chappelle's Block Party - Interesting documentary. The music was fantastic. 7.0/10
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:59 PM   #403
thealmighty
Pro Starter

On a Clear Day - liked it alot. 7.5/10
Old 07-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #404
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 on Tuesday night.

I thought it was pretty bad.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #405
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

Dave Chappelle's Block Party - Interesting documentary. The music was fantastic. 7.0/10

Indeed it was.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #406
Ramzavail
College Starter

I just saw Batman Begins. WOW.

9/10.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #407
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Just watched Requiem for a Dream the first time.

A rather depressing movie
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #408
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 on Tuesday night.

I thought it was pretty bad.

I was entertained
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #409
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The Ice Harvest - Dark comedy noir film - 6.5
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #410
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Jarhead - Not as good as I expected. Maybe a 6. My wife loved it.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #411
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Hills Have Eyes unrated.

Not bad, maybe 7 out of 10.. the wife jumped many times.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #412
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Return of the Secausus 7 - 8/10

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #413
Lorena
Unregistered

Waiting 8/10

Never piss off a waiter...
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #414
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Continuing on my quest to view the most controversial movies of all time, next up:

Cannibal Holocaust (7/10)

This movie was clearly an inspiration to the Blair Witch people. This movie was filmed back in 1980, and was immediately banned in most countries of the world. In fact, the Italian authorities were so convinced this was an actual snuff film, they had all copies seized and the director was arrested.

The film is definitely shocking, but after viewing, it wasn't shocking just for the sake of being shocking. The premise is that four documentary folks enter the Amazon jungle looking for natives. They never return. An anthropologist (trivia note: played by Mr. Greenfeld from Debbie Does Dallas) tries to find them. He discoveres their film, and a documentary is made from the discovered film. (Sound familiar, Blair Witch watchers?).

If you have heard about this movie before, and were interested in seeing it, do so. If this is something you just happen to come across somewhere and don't know the history behind it, you will probably not like the movie.

Next up on my list of controversial movies, I've tracked down a copy of "Salo".
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #415
QuikSand
lolzcat

We went to see the new Superman movie today... and both really hated it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #416
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Continuing on my quest to view the most controversial movies of all time, next up:

Cannibal Holocaust (7/10)

This movie was clearly an inspiration to the Blair Witch people. This movie was filmed back in 1980, and was immediately banned in most countries of the world. In fact, the Italian authorities were so convinced this was an actual snuff film, they had all copies seized and the director was arrested.

The film is definitely shocking, but after viewing, it wasn't shocking just for the sake of being shocking. The premise is that four documentary folks enter the Amazon jungle looking for natives. They never return. An anthropologist (trivia note: played by Mr. Greenfeld from Debbie Does Dallas) tries to find them. He discoveres their film, and a documentary is made from the discovered film. (Sound familiar, Blair Witch watchers?).

If you have heard about this movie before, and were interested in seeing it, do so. If this is something you just happen to come across somewhere and don't know the history behind it, you will probably not like the movie.

Next up on my list of controversial movies, I've tracked down a copy of "Salo".

Keep me posted on Salo, Cartman. I've wanted to find a copy forever but never can.

CH was pretty interesting. I thought it was good and not that shocking, but there was some pretty graphic stuff. Good call on the movie.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #417
SackAttack
Head Coach

Bullets or Ballots

Bogey and Edward G. Robinson. Good times.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #418
Groundhog
Coordinator

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: 7/10

Pretty fun, but dragged in places.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #419
mattyeah
n00b

Just had a Godfather Marathon so all up 28/30, first two are flawless, third only marred by the casting of Sofia Coppola a non-actor if ever there was one.
mattyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #420
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

War of the Worlds: 3.5/5 I liked it
Freedomland: 2/5 the ending was ok, but the rest was soooo s l o w
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #421
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Nacho Libre : Don't watch it because you have to gouge your eyes out after that and bash your head against a wall to get the inane stupidity out of your mind
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #422
Lorena
Unregistered

Early 90's movie: Sleepwalkers 4/10

Terrible movie: when a cat can break into a house, but a half cat/half human can't break a car window, you know it's a terrible movie.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #423
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
Terrible movie: when a cat can break into a house, but a half cat/half human can't break a car window, you know it's a terrible movie.

What's next? Aliens arriving on our planet using amazingly advanced technology, yet being unable to work a door handle?!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #424
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
What's next? Aliens arriving on our planet using amazingly advanced technology, yet being unable to work a door handle?!

lol

How about a movie where a killer scarecrow catches up to a vehicle going full speed... not by running, but by doing summersaults?

I love watching those idiotic movies on the Sci-Fi channel

Last edited by Lorena : 08-02-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #425
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Keep me posted on Salo, Cartman. I've wanted to find a copy forever but never can.

CH was pretty interesting. I thought it was good and not that shocking, but there was some pretty graphic stuff. Good call on the movie.

I own it. PM me and I'll send you my original, if you still want to see it.

If you want to buy it, we sell it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...160752?ie=UTF8

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #426
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Final Destination 3: 3/5

Thanks to Dodgerchick and my wife being a waitress, I'm going to pickup Waiting tonight.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #427
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Last night my wife got to pick the movies:

Wicker Park: 4 out of 10. The acting was fairly bad, but the storyline was moderately interesting with lots of twists, even if some of them stretched credibility.

Heathers: Watched this cause she hadn't ever seen it, and her friend told her she really needed to. I remembered this from my teenage years, and was interested to see how I viewed this as this much later point in my life. It still held up well, but it wasn't as good as I remembered it. Psychologically, it was interesting. 6.5/10.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #428
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Final Destination 3: 3/5

Thanks to Dodgerchick and my wife being a waitress, I'm going to pickup Waiting tonight.

Awesome! Careful, she might get some nasty ideas from that movie though

Super-ExGirlfriend - 6/10

Uma plays a needy superhero and when Luke Wilson tries to break up with her, she makes his life a living hell.

Luke Wilson's reaction during the sex scene was worth the price of admission and then some

Oh yeah, and they left it open for a sequel.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-05-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #429
korme
Go Reds

I've watched tons of movies since I last posted, I'll try to remember most..

Date Movie (2006) -- 1/10. Man, I knew it'd be bad. And it was.
A Perfect Murder (1998) -- 4/10. It was alright, but nothing blew me away and I will probably never have the urge to re-watch... only watched it because I was fresh off of Viggo Mortensen's more recent work in
A History of Violence (2005) -- 7.5/10. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Great plot, even better action scenes. Worth a purchase from me.
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (2005) -- 9.5/10. Wow... Clever dialogue, original narration, and endless amounts of hilarity. It's a movie I keep haggling my friends to watch and immediately shifts into my Top 10.
Donnie Brasco (1997) -- 7/10. Depp and Pacino, come on now. This was a can't miss, a pretty solid ride.
The Big Lebowski (1998) -- 6/10. Some memorable parts (white russians, the urn), good for some laughs, but I expected it to be funnier given all the praise I've heard about it.
Nacho Libre (2006) -- 1/10. What a disappointment.
Click (2006) -- 6/10. Billed as a comedy, but it's much sadder than I anticipated. Still a good family movie.
Pirates of the Carribean 2 (2006) -- 7.5/10. Just as good, if not more enjoyable than the first Pirates. Worth $7.50 to go see it for me. By the way, Keira Knightley steals the screen in some scenes just on her beauty.
Citizen Kane (1941) -- ??/10. To be continued! Popping it into the DVD player tomorrow, most likely.

Last edited by korme : 08-03-2006 at 10:57 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #430
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Waiting: 3.5/5

Very funny!! Thanks Dodgerchick!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #431
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah, and they left it open for a sequel.

Too bad the box office receipts haven't!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #432
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Waiting: 3.5/5

Very funny!! Thanks Dodgerchick!

Cool! I'm glad you liked it!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #433
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Too bad the box office receipts haven't!

Yeah, that's too bad, Uma, Luke and Wanda Sykes were hilarious. Rainn Wilson's character wasn't much of a stretch from his Office character; and Anna Faris is not only super hot, but pretty damn funny. Actually, I never paid attention to her body until this movie...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #434
Easy Mac

Talladega Nights: 5.8/10
Donnie Brasco: 6.2/10
Goodfellas: 7.8/10
Running Scared: 6.4/10
Glory Road: 3.6/10
Old 08-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #435
Lorena
Unregistered

12 Angry Men 9.5 / 10

Antmeister had to watch this movie over a year ago for a class and I enjoyed it so much, I watched it again on TCM: One man stands alone in a jury of 12 who deliberate on the guilt/innocence of a man accused of killing his father. The dialogue was excellent and the emotions... raw. I felt their anger.

I can't believe I gave Super Ex-Girlfriend an 8 compared to this movie, so I changed my rating from an 8 to a 6... rating Super Ex-Girlfriend an 8 wouldn't give this movie justice.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #436
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
12 Angry Men 9.5 / 10

Antmeister had to watch this movie over a year ago for a class and I enjoyed it so much, I watched it again on TCM: One man stands alone in a jury of 12 who deliberate on the guilt/innocence of a man accused of killing his father. The dialogue was excellent and the emotions... raw. I felt their anger.

I can't believe I gave Super Ex-Girlfriend an 8 compared to this movie, so I changed my rating from an 8 to a 6... rating Super Ex-Girlfriend an 8 wouldn't give this movie justice.

This is one of my favorites of all time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #437
thealmighty
Pro Starter

V for Vendetta better than I was really expecting, though some of the dialogue was hard to hear on my copy... 7/10
Old 08-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #438
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The Village (2004) - 3 of 5 stars

imdb.com description:
The population of a small, isolated countryside village believe that their alliance with the mythical creatures that inhabit the forest around them is coming to an end.

my take:
I haven't seen this since my theater viewing, and I decided to watch it again after getting into a debate with a friend about the quality of the movie. Upon second viewing, it holds up for me. I still think it's a solid movie. I think those preoccupied with "the twist" are really missing a good movie in the process. This would be a great movie to watch in relation to social morality, information control, etc. Aside from being an engaging thriller I think it's a great discussion starter.

full disclosure: I'll admit I like M. Knight more than most. On a thumbs up/thumbs down scale only Lady In The Water would not pass the test. And even with that movie I give him credit for trying and failing, whereas most movies are never trying to be good in the first place.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #439
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The Wicker Man - 1973 4 out of 5.

What a mind-f*ck. I thought it was quite a film though. Very impressed although it isn't your run of the mill content.

The remake coming out in the next week or two will suck royally. Guarantee it unless you haven't seen the original. Then maybe it might only just suck a little.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #440
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 2 out of 5 stars

I had yet to watch another Harry Potter film since the first one because I thought the acting was horrible. I figured I would pick this up thinking maybe the young actors had gotten a little older and possibly matured into better actors. Maybe by the 7th film they will be.

Green Street Hooligans - 4 out of 5 stars

Think Fight Club. I really enjoyed this movie. Elijah Wood did a good job, but I was really impressed by Leo Gregory and Charlie Hunnam.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #441
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

What a mind-f*ck. I thought it was quite a film though. Very impressed although it isn't your run of the mill content.

The remake coming out in the next week or two will suck royally. Guarantee it unless you haven't seen the original. Then maybe it might only just suck a little.

Yup. It's an awesome movie. I'll still see the remake and I know it won't be that good but whatever. The original though .. the ending is intense.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #442
korme
Go Reds

Beerfest - Not quite SuperTroopers funny, but it had that kind of feel to it. And just for the fact that the movie centralizes around beer, 7/10. Heh.
Little Miss Sunshine - What a film. A road trip involving a dysfunctional family that mixes in the right amount of comedy and humanity, worth a buy for me. Most 80's born kids could relate to this film. Especially because Greg Kinnear dresses exactly like my dad would for a road trip. 8.5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #443
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kill! - Japanese samurai flick from 1968 staring Tatsuya Nakadai (star of Ran, and the baddie in Yojimbo & Sanjuro). Based on the same book that Sanjuro was based on and very similar, though I feel Kill! is better done. Great humour, great characters, fun story. Nakadai doesn't dominate the film like Mifune does in Yojimbo/Sanjuro, but this is mainly because the supporting characters are much stronger in this film than in Kurosawa's two. 8.5/10
Old 08-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #444
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

As I said in the Wicker Man Remake thread, this movie actually disturbed my girlfriend when we watched it last week.

I love the movie, and it's fun to watch again and again despite knowing the "twist", because it adds another element to the movie entirely when you see it all unfold.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #445
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (Documentary) (2006 - released 9/1/06) - 4 of 5 stars

This movie is a documentary on the MPAA rating system and it's veil of secrecy behind review board members, procedure, etc. About 95% of the movie is spent on examining R vs. NC-17 rulings and the overall tendancy to censor sex while any kind of violence is fine. The interviews with those involved from all angles are pretty enlightening, directors who have had rulings they didn't understand, a few ex review board members who have broken their silence, etc. A huge amount of comedy and eye-opening detail is provided when the filmmaker hires a private investigator to uncover who unnamed review board members are and demonstrate flat-out that a large number do not meet the criteria the MPAA claims their members must meet.

MPAA haters will love it, the MPAA and it's supporters will no doubt claim the filmmaker has an agenda (which obviously, he does). A very entertaining movie. I know it just opened today and i only think it's in 2 theaters in the country at the moment, but i'm pretty sure it'll be rolling out to other major markets in the coming weeks. If you even think you'd be into it, i can certainly give my recommendation.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-01-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #446
Easy Mac

The Believer - 8.10 - Very good movie. Ryan Gosling is brilliant in it. It can be a little tough to take at times, its about a Jew-Nazi hating Jews, but it was very well done.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:17 AM   #447
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A bunch, I just got signed up for one of those "rent all you want" mvp things at hollywood video, since i moved out of the boondocks.

Team America- 4/10 Couldn't finish it, didnt hold my interest at all, so I'll give it a pretty low score. Music was hilarious though. Playing the hell out of the soundtrack way before i saw it probably ruined it for me.

Match Point- 7.5/10 Scarlet Johannson(sp?) is so edible in this movie. Plus it was a pretty interesting story.

Wedding Crashers- 6/10, Had some pretty funny parts, although I'm not much of a fan of Owen Wilson. I found it to be very derivitive of stuff like Meet the Parents, etc.

Last edited by stevew : 09-02-2006 at 01:35 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #448
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl 6.5/10 Enjoyable, nothing spectacular though. Seeing the sequel first probably skewed me on it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #449
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

The Ballad of Ricky Bobby: I really liked it, I paid to see it twice actually. Though not as quotable as Anchorman, still up there with some of the most quotable movies of all time (funny-wise). I was happily impressed in fact. 8/10

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 09-02-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 AM   #450
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Wicker Man. Absolutely the Worst Movie of the Year if not the decade. Do not see this movie! Usually some movies have redeeming qualities, but not this one, just horrid. I laughed through a lot of the thriller/dramatic scenes. This felt like a bad B movie on TNT on Friday night at 1:00.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote