Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #19101
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why would they market to people who they have zero chance of selling their product to?

Fun idea though. Obviously they need a new product, something that won't dilute it's appeal to rich bored housewives and the "casual but still takes cycling way too seriously| crowd but is in the range of other entry level fitness machines in terms of price. This product can't require you to buy expensive cycling shoes, so the clips are out, and obviously it's a small screen. Could you manufacture something cheaply enough to make it worth it while still being able to retain enough of the tech to call it a Peloton and not have it just be another bike - no idea.

Then obviously nobody is paying $60 a month for the subscription. Maybe $5 a month with no commitment and you get a few of the classes, nothing live or the social media/connected aspect of the full offering so as not to dilute it, and then maybe you have another couple of tiers in there? The key is to make the base offering as close to the Hulu/Netflix/ESPN+ pricing model as you can.

After all that, do you have something that is distinct enough to be desirable, affordable enough and doesn't piss the existing snobby base off enough to worth making? Probably not in a million years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #19102
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Sounds like he needs some help. Seems abnormal to me that a 22 year old would get so upset about a game.

Many of the twitch streamers who are the most popular have these types of personalities and people gravitate to it like crazy. Also I'm a manchild who plays many online games that have early 20s demographics and I can tell you that this is not abnormal in the slightest. I've got a few people in some gaming circles that I refuse to play with because they are going to rage every single game.

"gamer culture" leans into all of this, its really sad and change is needed for sure.

EDIT: and yeah Jedi's stepson certainly seems like he needs some help for many reasons. I was only replying to the fact that it seems abnormal

Last edited by Radii : 12-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #19103
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Many of the twitch streamers who are the most popular have these types of personalities and people gravitate to it like crazy. Also I'm a manchild who plays many online games that have early 20s demographics and I can tell you that this is not abnormal in the slightest. I've got a few people in some gaming circles that I refuse to play with because they are going to rage every single game.

"gamer culture" leans into all of this, its really sad and change is needed for sure.

EDIT: and yeah Jedi's stepson certainly seems like he needs some help for many reasons. I was only replying to the fact that it seems abnormal

He talks a lot of shit while playing too. Can't wait for the day he pisses someone off and we get swatted.

I think this is all pay back for how easy it was to raise my two step daughters.*

*From my previous marriage to the one I am currently in.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #19104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I was only replying to the fact that it seems abnormal

I was basically going to say similar, but you mostly covered it.

That's not the least bit unusual, the bad luck that it hit the TV / something breakable instead of something else is the only notable thing in that element of the story.

My son's frat house lost about 2 TVs a year (personal ones, not the common room one) that way. And, I think, at least one window.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #19105
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I was basically going to say similar, but you mostly covered it.

That's not the least bit unusual, the bad luck that it hit the TV / something breakable instead of something else is the only notable thing in that element of the story.

My son's frat house lost about 2 TVs a year (personal ones, not the common room one) that way. And, I think, at least one window.

I just don't get it. Maybe it's a generational thing? I do know why I only play online games with people I know though and never understood how/why online gaming can get so toxic. It could be anonymity maybe, so you have that internet bravado. All I ask is, stop breaking my stuff, haha!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #19106
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
He talks a lot of shit while playing too. Can't wait for the day he pisses someone off and we get swatted.

Careful what you wish for, especially if you live in the same house with him.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #19107
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just don't get it. Maybe it's a generational thing? I do know why I only play online games with people I know though and never understood how/why online gaming can get so toxic. It could be anonymity maybe, so you have that internet bravado. All I ask is, stop breaking my stuff, haha!

I think it is generational. This is a generation that outside of a few people, have never had to deal with or face adversity. The Greatest Generation had WWII and Korea, the Baby Boomers had Vietnam. What has this generation had to face? At least Gen X and Gen Y had family members that were part of WWII or Vietnam and understood real problems.

Some of these kids have had such a good life, they do not understand how to cope with things not going their way and they lash out.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #19108
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So... warfare is the only possible adversity? And if that is true, didn't Millennials have to face Iraq and Afghanistan? And which is "this generation" you are talking about? Millennials, Gen Z?

There is so much wrong with your post, I don't know where to begin.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #19109
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
This is so stupid. Newsflash, there are people out there with money, who stay in shape and live in beautiful houses with big windows. There are also women who want one of there, my wife actually mentioned getting one to the point I considered one for Xmas.

Also, slim doesn't mean in shape. 2 very different things.

This strikes me as a bunch of people too poor to afford one and are pissed of at who the company markets its product towards.

I hadn't given any thought to the financial piece of it at all.

I wish there was a way to see the reactions and thoughts of heterosexual couples across all socioeconomic lines as they viewed that commercial for the first time. I feel like that does not go over as well as it did in that commercial in most households but I could be wrong. It reminds me of the trope of husband of the 1950's TV show buying his wife a new broom for Christmas.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #19110
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So... warfare is the only possible adversity? And if that is true, didn't Millennials have to face Iraq and Afghanistan? And which is "this generation" you are talking about? Millennials, Gen Z?

+10000
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #19111
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Careful what you wish for, especially if you live in the same house with him.

Definitely said with a wary eye on my part since he does live with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
I think it is generational. This is a generation that outside of a few people, have never had to deal with or face adversity. The Greatest Generation had WWII and Korea, the Baby Boomers had Vietnam. What has this generation had to face? At least Gen X and Gen Y had family members that were part of WWII or Vietnam and understood real problems.

Some of these kids have had such a good life, they do not understand how to cope with things not going their way and they lash out.

I definitely see what you are saying, but, I think it's more a 'instant gratification' thing in my opinion. You think they rage now, just imagine them having to go back and use dial up internet and a 300 baud modem, haha! Though I am sure there's a sizable group that are just out and out spoiled and can't deal with having to wait or losing. Either way, it's perplexing to me, to say the least.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #19112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I feel like that does not go over as well as it did in that commercial in most households but I could be wrong.

Over half the posts I saw about it yesterday just in the course of my regular social media'ing were along the lines of "God I wish MY husband would spend that kind of money on me for Christmas. I'd kill for one of those things"
Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #19113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Their aim just isn't that good

The rage isn't generational though, I've come plenty close to flinging controllers over the past couple of decades.

Probably the only reason I haven't is that I'm more of a slammer than a flinger.

My standard rage quit though is to simply power off the xbox via the controller and walk away. That wasn't unusual for me just a few gens of COD/MW games back when boosting, lag switches, etc were the norm.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #19114
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not saying this is you JK, but as a parent of a soon to be 17 year old who has had a fairly active social life in HS, I don't see a lot of good parenting going on. My daughter has a lot of friends who's parents don't parent. They don't have curfews. They are allowed to do what they want, when they want. They don't know how to deal with not getting what they want.

It is a struggle with my daughter sometimes because we have rules and none of her friends really do.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #19115
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Peloton loses $942M in one day as backlash over 'sexist' holiday ad sends stock tumbling nearly 10%

Lunacy
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #19116
spleen1015
Coordinator

Someone got fired today.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #19117
molson
General Manager

The whole market fell yesterday, and that really isn't that big a drop, the stock is otherwise way ahead of where it's been this year, they just lost some gains they made in very late November when everybody else was going up too - I bet there just was a lot of trading to cash in those gains. Maybe a few people traded on internet silliness, if so, good time to buy some Peloton I guess.

I remember people used to grumble over those Christmas Lexus commercials. Some companies sell luxury products and those companies are going to advertise on TV because rich people do watch TV. Maybe 5% of TV ads are specifically relevant to me, it's really not worth getting upset about.

I think a Peloton bike would be a pretty awesome gift. Obviously Christmas is going to be huge for any product like that, so they're pushing the idea of it as a cool present for someone who maybe has everything. He obviously wasn't fat-shaming her.

Last edited by molson : 12-04-2019 at 01:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #19118
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Not saying this is you JK, but as a parent of a soon to be 17 year old who has had a fairly active social life in HS, I don't see a lot of good parenting going on. My daughter has a lot of friends who's parents don't parent. They don't have curfews. They are allowed to do what they want, when they want. They don't know how to deal with not getting what they want.

It is a struggle with my daughter sometimes because we have rules and none of her friends really do.

I do think that is contributing a lot to his behavior. Unfortunately, I didn't come into the picture until he was already 18. Also, a lot of how he reacts to things he considers negative towards him, is like someone that has never really been held accountable for his actions. Which is why I think when I don't let him get his way, he disappears for a few days. Something as simple as asking him to do the dishes...poof! Gone! And then sometime next week he will come back home.

It's so important for kids to have boundaries like curfews and that they know early on that they don't get to do everything and anything they want.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #19119
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Their aim just isn't that good

The rage isn't generational though, I've come plenty close to flinging controllers over the past couple of decades.

Probably the only reason I haven't is that I'm more of a slammer than a flinger.

My standard rage quit though is to simply power off the xbox via the controller and walk away. That wasn't unusual for me just a few gens of COD/MW games back when boosting, lag switches, etc were the norm.

I admit, I have too, but, it was more because button A isn't doing what button A is supposed to be doing, haha! The Division does this to me. Mash button to get out of cover, I get out of cover to...immediately get back into the same cover I was just in. Heal a teammate? Nah...that's the same button as reloading, so just going to reload while my teammate is bleeding out.

Same here, when I get frustrated, I just quit the game and either play a different game like Civ Revolutions or watch a movie.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #19120
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I remember people used to grumble over those Christmas Lexus commercials. Some companies sell luxury products and those companies are going to advertise on TV because rich people do watch TV. Maybe 5% of TV ads are specifically relevant to me, it's really not worth getting upset about.

I think a Peloton bike would be a pretty awesome gift. Obviously Christmas is going to be huge for any product like that, so they're pushing the idea of it as a cool present for someone who maybe has everything. He obviously wasn't fat-shaming her.

I think those awful Lexus ads are a good comparison. These strike me as products for the GOOP crowd (meaning people with more money than sense) that are being marketed to them using images and language that they respond to. That there is some tone deafness to the marketing is consistent and unsurprising, at least to me. The proper response to this is not hyperventilation, it is ridicule. And I think with the Peloton ad, much of the criticism is coming in that form. Which I heartily endorse.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #19121
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I think those awful Lexus ads are a good comparison. These strike me as products for the GOOP crowd (meaning people with more money than sense) that are being marketed to them using images and language that they respond to. That there is some tone deafness to the marketing is consistent and unsurprising, at least to me. The proper response to this is not hyperventilation, it is ridicule. And I think with the Peloton ad, much of the criticism is coming in that form. Which I heartily endorse.

I could see this being an exercise in a college marketing or advertising class. You work for Peloton, they want an TV spot that pushes Peloton as a Christmas present and shows off some of the features of the bike, AND recognizing the obstacles that: There's a certain negative connotation to giving your spouse exercise equipment as a gift; and, you're going to annoy people who can't afford your product, and while you don't care about them as customers, their complaints going viral could hurt your brand more broadly.

I think they hit at least some of the important points to achieve those ends: The gift recipient has to be thin and apparently in shape already, she has to be psyched about her present to the extent it becomes a big part of her life that benefits HER not just her husband; and, don't mention the price and people may not immediately understand that this is a luxury product and hate you for that. But, there's probably other points they could have hit better. The social media aspect was probably intended to make her about HER journey and not her husband wanting her to be a hotter piece of ass, but, that's also a little off-putting when people document their life like that.

Same with Lexus. Some people are going to hate that other people get luxury cars for Christmas. No way around that. So how do you mitigate it so you're not mocked too much? If I remember right, they used cute kids, dogs running around, lots of Christmas imagery, the most likable looking rich people they could find, and the didn't have any wide shots of the house, I think we mostly saw a decorated front door.

Last edited by molson : 12-05-2019 at 02:36 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #19122
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I have a sense that the Lexus campaign has been around for a while. It might not technically pre-date social media, but it certainly pre-dates social-media-outrage-of-the-moment culture.

It used to be that your ad might turn some people off, but that didn't matter as much. Now, it seems like more of a risk because people can quickly organize and weaponize their dislike for your ad & product.

I follow way too many hyperwoke people on Twitter, and their reactions have been interesting. As some (sane) people have started to comment that we all got way too overworked about the Peloton Ad, the hyperwoke reaction has been "Well, even if so, it is still their fault because Peloton should have known how we would have perceived their ad."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #19123
Izulde
Head Coach

Hyperwoke people weren't going to be the ones to buy a Peloton anyway, so I'd collectively shrug off their response. And sure, there was a stock drop, but that'll balance itself out, if not go the other way (see: Nike with Kap ad).

Tone deafness doesn't matter that much so long as it's still speaking to your target market(s). Meanwhile, it's a short spike in mentions, which will drive traffic and engagement for a bit and boost rankings.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #19124
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wait - People actually hammered Peloton over the bike ad?

What the actual fuck!!

How the fuck do they not know if the wife asked for it for Christmas? Society immediately jumps to - husband thinks she is fat and bought her a bike?

I never thought that once watching that ad.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #19125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
How the fuck do they not know if the wife asked for it for Christmas? Society immediately jumps to - husband thinks she is fat and bought her a bike?

Because if you don't spell it out people are going to fill in the blanks (and generally negatively).

When I first saw the ad a few days ago, I cringed when the wife came down and the husband was like, I bought you an exercise bike for Christmas!
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #19126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Neither did anyone with functioning brain cells

edit: aside from thinking it in a humorous "hope you also bought yourself a comfy pillow for the doghouse" sort of way

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-05-2019 at 04:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #19127
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Neither did anyone with functioning brain cells

edit: aside from thinking it in a humorous "hope you also bought yourself a comfy pillow for the doghouse" sort of way

So apparently you don't have functioning brain cells, then? Why else would the joke be said?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #19128
PilotMan
Head Coach

FREE GRACE FROM BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #19129
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wait - People actually hammered Peloton over the bike ad?

What the actual fuck!!

First World Problems: Someone airs an ad about a bike that you don't like.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #19130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So apparently you don't have functioning brain cells, then? Why else would the joke be said?

Humor is where you find it. It's the same line of reasoning that causes jokes about buying wives brooms (in lieu of a car), new vacuum cleaners or washing machines, and so forth exist. Same reason I just cracked on social media about a husband cooking his own meals after he (legit) asked his wife if she did her eyebrows with a magic marker. Same reason phrases like "reminds me of that old joke about ..." exist.

All are basically tropes at this point.

No rational human would have thought that Peleton ad was fat shaming.

Anybody that was seriously offended by it shouldn't be left to wander the streets afaic. They're incapable of enough coherent thought to not be a hazard to themselves and/or the world around them.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-05-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #19131
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I think those awful Lexus ads are a good comparison. These strike me as products for the GOOP crowd (meaning people with more money than sense) that are being marketed to them using images and language that they respond to. .

I'm curious if you think anyone who owns a luxury car has more money than sense or just someone who would buy one for their spouse for Christmas.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #19132
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
I'm curious if you think anyone who owns a luxury car has more money than sense or just someone who would buy one for their spouse for Christmas.

TBH, I think anyone that buys a car new off the lot probably has more money than sense under most circumstances, but that is a different conversation.

For the purposes of this debate, I'm talking about the inherent ridiculousness of a $40k gift showing up in the driveway to most of America. I find it particularly egregious with a car, since those are pretty important purchases--far more so than a stationary bike. Buying a car shouldn't be a casual purchase, but the message that comes across to me with those Lexus ads is that it is exactly that. Anyone that wants to posit that the spouse--a woman in most of the ads--MAY have been consulted beforehand is watching a different ad than I am. The spouse is always shocked. She clearly has no idea what was coming.

Again, though, I find nothing in the Lexus ads or the Peloton ad worth getting all hot and bothered about. I simply find them ridiculous. If anyone wants to throw their money at these products, go to it.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #19133
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No rational human would have thought that Peleton ad was fat shaming.

Fat shaming is very different than being tone deaf on what to get a wife for Christmas, IMO. I don't know about you, but I've heard the rejoinder to never get an SO exercise equipment as a gift - even if she asks for it, it's a trap. The marketing department should have know better.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #19134
spleen1015
Coordinator

If your wife asks you to buy her exercise equipment for Christmas and doing so is a trap, then there's something wrong with your wife.

What kind of relationships do people have?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #19135
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If your wife asks you to buy her exercise equipment for Christmas and doing so is a trap, then there's something wrong with your wife.

What kind of relationships do people have?

Seriously.

If your wife is trying to set you up by asking you for something she can use against you on Christmas morning you probably need to reevaluate the person you married.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #19136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
TBH, I think anyone that buys a car new off the lot probably has more money than sense under most circumstances, but that is a different conversation.

For the purposes of this debate, I'm talking about the inherent ridiculousness of a $40k gift showing up in the driveway to most of America. I find it particularly egregious with a car, since those are pretty important purchases--far more so than a stationary bike. Buying a car shouldn't be a casual purchase, but the message that comes across to me with those Lexus ads is that it is exactly that. Anyone that wants to posit that the spouse--a woman in most of the ads--MAY have been consulted beforehand is watching a different ad than I am. The spouse is always shocked. She clearly has no idea what was coming.

Again, though, I find nothing in the Lexus ads or the Peloton ad worth getting all hot and bothered about. I simply find them ridiculous. If anyone wants to throw their money at these products, go to it.

I completely disagree with your first statement, everything is relative, but like you said, a conversation for a different day.

As for the Lexus and other car company Xmas commercials, I don't think the marketing people actually think a significant number of people are actually going to surprise their SO with a new car. I think it is just another way to market their product that is seasonally appropriate.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #19137
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Remind me of the comments people make when talking about the scenario where you wife asks "Does this make me look fat?"

This is a long standing social construct.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #19138
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Remind me of the comments people make when talking about the scenario where you wife asks "Does this make me look fat?"

This is a long standing social construct.

So people should be in a relationship where the husband lies to his wife and the wife trues to set him up for a fight on Christmas?

Maybe I should have been a lawyer after all, seems to be money in divorce law.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #19139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm literally rolling my eyes at you. You can "NOT MY WIFE" all you want, but this is something that has been in the social consciousness for ages. Many a joke has been made on it. To not understand that and go "well they should re-evaluate their relationships" fails to get the point entirely.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #19140
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Some of you should check out r/boomershumor, I think you might like it.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #19141
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm literally rolling my eyes at you. You can "NOT MY WIFE" all you want, but this is something that has been in the social consciousness for ages. Many a joke has been made on it. To not understand that and go "well they should re-evaluate their relationships" fails to get the point entirely.

I'm actually shocked someone as progressive as you would think those old constructs are still relevant. Do you really think we look at women as "the old ball and chain" still?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #19142
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm actually shocked someone as progressive as you would think those old constructs are still relevant. Do you really think we look at women as "the old ball and chain" still?

I'm shocked how you can't see how relevant they still are considering you seemed to be completely taken aback at the response to a Peloton ad that didn't deal with those constructs well enough. At the very least, you should have taken a step back and realized, oh, some folks are still bristling at the social constructs they've grown up with and marketing people (well Peloton's anyway) should realize that more often.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-06-2019 at 01:34 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #19143
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Didn't we just have a thread about someone being shocked that men actually cooked on a regular basis?

Obviously we are all enlightened enough to not think that way. We are all lucky to have a spouse that would take this gift in a positive way and would never think that that we were trying to call them fat and/or out of shape. However, I know enough guys who have said and then did divorce their wives for not keeping themselves in shape, thus no longer finding them attractive to know that they are not a minuscule minority.

Maybe I am the only one who knows the cavemen{shrug}
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #19144
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don’t know none person who has divorced their wife for that reason but I’m sure they are out there.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #19145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Maybe I am the only one who knows the cavemen{shrug}

This may be a bigger possibility than it would seem.

Your comment started me thinking on it, I couldn't come up with a single instance where physical fitness was the primary factor in a husband divorcing their wife.

Age / aging? Yes. But in a much broader (err, no pun intended) sense than just weight/appearance.
Relative fitness levels between original and replacement? Not that I could come up with.

And, well, it's not like I don't know both some candidates for that kind of situation AND some ostensible cavemen.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-06-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #19146
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
This may be a bigger possibility than it would seem.

Your comment started me thinking on it, I couldn't come up with a single instance where physical fitness was the primary factor in a husband divorcing their wife.

Age / aging? Yes. But in a much broader (err, no pun intended) sense than just weight/appearance.
Relative fitness levels between original and replacement? Not that I could come up with.

And, well, it's not like I don't know both some candidates for that kind of situation AND some ostensible cavemen.

Interested in your use of primary. I had not thought of it in terms of primary/secondary reasons. Let me give you the most recent example of what I am talking about.

My wife and I went to the friend's wedding. At our table sat a couple that included the wife, a teacher that switched to the school that my wife teaches at whom we were not familiar with and the husband who was prior military. Things were pleasant enough until the wedding cake was being served. The wife received her piece of cake. That piece of cake was then taken from her by her husband and given back to the server as he said "We're still working on losing some baby weight." She had their child about 18 months prior. Silence swept over the table as we waited for the punchline. No punchline came. From that point, the husband became known as That Wedding Cake A**hole (TWCA) among the women at the table. Fast forward five months TWCA had left his wife and the divorce was finalized earlier this year.

Now I am the first one to admit that I have no clue if this was the only reason for TWCA leaving his wife. I only know of the wife's POV. I can't tell you if her physical fitness/appearance was the primary factor for him wanting the divorce. Maybe he was just ready to move on.

I do know, based on the wedding incident, that it was of some importance to him. I do know that, based on her conversations, that she believes that it was a factor.

Do with that what you may.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #19147
miami_fan
Coordinator

No,that is not EVEN in the top five of cavemen as I did not know him personally.

Yes, I have asked myself many questions as to how I ended up associated with these folks.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #19148
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I do think Millennials and early Gen Z have faced significant adversity.

Significant and traumatic as they are to many people, I wouldn't equate Iraq and Afghanistan with Vietnam or Korea (primarily due to body count and with Vietnam, the demonstrations).

However I would toss in 9/11 and the "new normal" plus the Great Recession as significant adversity. I can easily see a new cold war (nukes, technology, economic etc.) with Russia and/or China that they would have to deal with also.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #19149
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't get the issue with the ad. I didn't like the angles but thought it was well done.

Wife obviously isn't overweight, looks in shape already, there's no reason for her to think husband believes she is overweight or for the husband to think she needs to lose weight etc.

If I had the disposable income, I would consider buying one for the missus. She runs (marathoner), cycles, done triathlons etc. and is in much better shape than I ever will be. She would see a Peloton as me supporting her to do what she loves to do.

Too much over analysis, take it for what it is, Peloton wanting to attract the younger generation with a pretty woman loving to exercise on its product.

When I saw the ad, I thought of the Soloflex commercials more than Lexus. It didn't have the gifting part but it had that same message ... buy me and you can look as good as him/her.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #19150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So Ryan Reynolds hired the Peloton women for a commercial for his gin, lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...gin/?tid=sm_fb

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk