Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #301
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Holy crap, that's crazy
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #302
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The tornado that struck El Reno, OK had 295 MPH winds and was 2.6 miles wide at one point.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #303
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-04-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #304
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
The tornado that struck El Reno, OK had 295 MPH winds and was 2.6 miles wide at one point.

Widest tornado ever measured and the wind speed probably isn't far off
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Everybody get ready for the derecho!!!!!

Unusually massive line of storms aim at Midwest - Yahoo! Weather
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #306
Suicane75
Coordinator

That crap is headed this way tomorrow. After last September I'm not looking forward to it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #307
Butter
Coordinator

Summer Storm Derecho?

What idiot named this phenomenon a "right" (derecho in Spanish)?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
What idiot named this phenomenon a "right" (derecho in Spanish)?

Derecho comes from the Spanish word in adjective or adverb forms for "straight" (adv, adj. "direct"), in contrast with a tornado which is a "twisted" wind.

So sayeth Wiki.

edit to add: This about.com page explains it in a great deal more detail

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-12-2013 at 09:57 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #309
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

weather.com shows about 15 hours of winds in the 20-25MPH level... nothing damaging, but looooong.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #310
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Another bad fire day yesterday. Knew it was going to be when I felt the very low humidity and high winds. It was almost a year ago that we lost 350 homes in my city and now probably a couple hundred more.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #311
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Why would anyone live in Oklahoma? This is crazy

If you took away all the spots in the US that were prone to tornadoes, hurricanes, river flooding, forest fires, volcanoes, blizzards, Godzilla attacks, or whatever other natural disaster, well, you wouldn't have anywhere to live. This comment coming from someone who lives smack dab in earthquake country?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #312
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I saw this on Twitter. Unbelievable.

The only thing I can think of even close to this was Greensburg but the loss of life there was only 3, iirc.

SI

Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If you took away all the spots in the US that were prone to tornadoes, hurricanes, river flooding, forest fires, volcanoes, blizzards, Godzilla attacks, or whatever other natural disaster, well, you wouldn't have anywhere to live. This comment coming from someone who lives smack dab in earthquake country?

SI

Getting hit by a tornado is somewhat similar to winning the lottery. You've got to be pretty lucky to take a hit. The couple of tornadoes that we've seen reported of late are the very rare exception as you well know. Most of us in the Midwest love thunderstorms as long as they don't get too crazy. We also look at all the idiots living on the east coast and the gulf coast and wonder why they would put themselves at a much higher risk of a storm every few years that blows sustained winds of 100+ and rains of 1+ feet.

It all depends on your perspective. I remember when I lived in Baltimore and there was a very small tornado hopping around in Maryland. I was laughing as I saw the news coverage, noting to the people I was with that it was little more than a dust devil. But they were terrified.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #314
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It was like that in Virginia, too. If there was a night with a tornado 4 counties to the west, they'd start getting panicky. In Kansas, we just called that "Tuesday".

SI

Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #315
molson
General Manager

Quote:

There's always Boise! We must have the most boring weather in America. Though distant forest fire smoke sometimes gets trapped in town for a while because of the geography of the surrounding mountains. But that's not very exciting or severe.

Last edited by molson : 06-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #316
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you took away all the spots in the US that were prone to tornadoes, hurricanes, river flooding, forest fires, volcanoes, blizzards, Godzilla attacks, or whatever other natural disaster, well, you wouldn't have anywhere you'd want to live. This comment coming from someone who lives smack dab in earthquake country?

Corrected!

I kid, I kid. I liked Boise the couple of times I was up there for training. Tho the lack of a big city (re: MLB-sized) nearby and dry air are two things I'm not a big fan of.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-18-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #317
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Nobody dies from a blizzard (unless they're homeless, old & the power goes out, etc). Basically nobody dies from a hurricane either, unless they're just plain dense. Not like tornadoes or earthquakes that can just happen without warning and cause loss of life to people who are able-bodied and otherwise healthy.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #318
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

An example: HUGE thunder and lightning storm here right now just popped up basically out of nowhere. Am I thinking about where a storm shelter might be? Nope...I'm thinking "I'm going to grab my umbrella and walk to Starbucks for a tea and enjoy the thunder and lightning."

I'm sure at some point you get...desensitized to the danger and all, or learn to wait for the tornado sirens and just expect to be able to find shelter, but I mean...that whole concept doesn't even cross my mind. Nor does freaking out and stockpiling before a blizzard or a hurricane, our "east coast weather."

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #319
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Nobody dies from a blizzard (unless they're homeless, old & the power goes out, etc). Basically nobody dies from a hurricane either, unless they're just plain dense. Not like tornadoes or earthquakes that can just happen without warning and cause loss of life to people who are able-bodied and otherwise healthy.

I'd wager that there have been far more deaths from Blizzards than there have from Earthquakes in the United States in the last 100 years.

There have been 688 deaths from Earthquakes in the last 100 years on US soil. (this includes Alaska)

There were 3,000 people who died in the SF Earthquake in 1906, but most of that was from the fires afterward, not the quake itself.

Before I moved to California I researched the hell out of earthquakes. I understand I can still die from them, but the odds are incredibly low, even if the big one hits. Going back to the SF earthquake in 1989, there have been 101 deaths from quakes in California in the last 24 years. Considering there is well over 35 million people in the state, I think the odds are ok.

Then again, what are the odds of breaking a hip at the age of 41?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #320
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'd wager that there have been far more deaths from Blizzards than there have from Earthquakes in the United States in the last 100 years.

There have been 688 deaths from Earthquakes in the last 100 years on US soil. (this includes Alaska)

There were 3,000 people who died in the SF Earthquake in 1906, but most of that was from the fires afterward, not the quake itself.

Before I moved to California I researched the hell out of earthquakes. I understand I can still die from them, but the odds are incredibly low, even if the big one hits. Going back to the SF earthquake in 1989, there have been 101 deaths from quakes in California in the last 24 years. Considering there is well over 35 million people in the state, I think the odds are ok.

Then again, what are the odds of breaking a hip at the age of 41?

But blizzards/hurricanes are predictable. You can see them coming. Earthquakes and tornadoes aren't. And you can't breakout "so and so died from the fire and not from the earthquake" if the fire wouldn't have happened without the earthquake - that's splitting hairs.

Look - earthquakes don't scare me. I lived in California for a few years...I'd happily move back. But they're something that's more on your mind than a blizzard or a hurricane, that's undeniable.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #321
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not happening in the US, but something interesting on the upcoming weather map

WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground

Looks like two weak hurricanes are projected to hit near Shanghai within a day or two. That's going to be a lot of rain in a short amount of time.

Could they merge into a Super Hurricane? (No, but SyFy- get on this idea!)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #322
Desnudo
Coordinator

Dropping down to 70 this weekend, may put some pants on
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #323
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
We haven't had a thunderstorm like the one we had last night in quite a while. Local reports of over six inches. The Blanco River, which is usually a trickle, has a flood stage in the town just south of me of 13.0 feet. At midnight it was was 6.8 feet, and this morning it is at 25.7 feet. We had sustained heavy rain for over 5 hours.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #324
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow that is a lot of rain. hope everyone is safe who's in the flood path.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #325
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Philippines is about to be hit by a massive typhoon. Sustained winds of 190mph, and gusts of 235mph. The storm has exceeded the hurricane ratings scale.

Super Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms ever seen, is about to hit the Philippines – Quartz
Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #326
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Dah - I just bumped my ping to NeonChaos from the earthquake.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #327
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Philippines is about to be hit by a massive typhoon. Sustained winds of 190mph, and gusts of 235mph. The storm has exceeded the hurricane ratings scale.

Super Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms ever seen, is about to hit the Philippines – Quartz

HOLY CRAP!!!!

GIF Below

Spoiler

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #328
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Bring it on!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #329
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Be safe Neon!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #330
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Neon- thoughts and prayers are with you man!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #331
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Super Typhoon Haiyan, strongest storm of 2013, hits Philippines - CNN.com

Holy cow. 195 sustained? That's incredible. It's also going to be tragic because that's effectively a gigantic EF4 tornado around the eyewall as it comes ashore.

I'll join with everyone else here and offer thoughts and prayers to you Neon and everyone else in the country.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #332
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Super Typhoon Haiyan, strongest storm of 2013, hits Philippines - CNN.com

Holy cow. 195 sustained? That's incredible. It's also going to be tragic because that's effectively a gigantic EF4 tornado around the eyewall as it comes ashore.

I'll join with everyone else here and offer thoughts and prayers to you Neon and everyone else in the country.

Stay safe, thoughts and prayers to anyone in this storms path.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #333
cartman
Death Herald

Here is a site with some pics of the massive devastation in the city of Tacloban. Caution that some of the pics are graphic.

Up close: Tragedy in Tacloban | ABS-CBN News
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #334
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Head's up Chicago and Indy residents today

http://www.spc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...?1384696580008

SPC has issued a "high" area of severe weather activity. That means a 30% chance of a tornado within 25 miles of any spot in that magenta area. They only issue this warning a couple of times most years and rarely this late in the season so be safe.

SI

Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #335
Butter
Coordinator

My wife left the house yesterday to take my son somewhere sometime between 6 and 6:30. After she leaves, literally a minute later the tornado sirens start going off... so I check the news and they basically say we are right in the path.

They tend to err on the side of caution here with that stuff, I knew it most likely wasn't a tornado, but better to be safe then sorry. My other son and our pets head down to our basement and into the laundry room. My wife only went a few blocks away, but didn't take her cell phone. My son called after they got there and said they would stay over there for a bit.

My wife said our van was rocking from side-to-side pretty heavily while she was parked waiting for my oldest son to come back from picking something up at a grandparents' house. She decided just to head on in that house while the worst of the storm came through. As I was upstairs talking to her on the phone, I heard something "clunk" on our roof, hopefully it was just a small branch and not a loss of some shingles or something. The winds were definitely fierce as I heard them from the inside, but definitely was not a tornado.

Fun times.

Last edited by Butter : 11-18-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Holy sh#$. If you've ever wondered what a 15-20 foot storm surge looks like when it comes out of nowhere, watch this video from the Phillipines. The surge occurs just over halfway through the video clip. You can tell the guy filming it is in shock initially and they quickly realizes he needs to run for a safer part of the house.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #337
Thomkal
Head Coach

Australian golfer Jason Day lost 8 relatives in the Typhoon, including his grandmother:

8 relatives of golfer Jason Day die in typhoon
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #338
Butter
Coordinator

Sounds like a nasty Winter Storm expected over SW Ohio starting tonight. Ice turning to snow. Always much worse when the snow has a 1/4 inch ice base.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #339
Warhammer
Pro Starter

So much for my office day Thursday, call on customers Friday plan.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #340
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am VERY happy I do half days on Fridays. Looks like mid day is when it will get bad.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #341
JeeberD
General Manager

High of 79 in DFW yesterday, freezing rain today, and won't get back above freezing until Sunday.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #342
Desnudo
Coordinator

So far Death toll from anticipation of the storm is zero
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #343
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Sounds like a nasty Winter Storm expected over SW Ohio starting tonight. Ice turning to snow. Always much worse when the snow has a 1/4 inch ice base.

Yeah, the ice layer is always the dangerous part. But at least you have the maintenance infrastructure up there to deal with it. Here in Texas, we just have sand trucks, which doesn't do much.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #344
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
High of 79 in DFW yesterday, freezing rain today, and won't get back above freezing until Sunday.

We had one of those cold front days where there's a 30 degree gradient across about 100 miles east to west. For instance, Beaumont will be 76 while Katy is 47

SI

Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #345
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

I called in sick and drove around all day with the top down... and its gonna freezing rain on sat!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #346
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah I got out and back to work in Newark early this morning. No chance of getting stuck in that mess, but now the problem is if I'll get home on Sunday or get stuck spending days off at the crash pad.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #347
cartman
Death Herald

I was supposed to have a couple of meetings with clients today in Dallas, but that ain't happening. Several inches of sleet and freezing rain are frozen to the ground and roads. Around 250,000 houses are without power from downed lines.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #348
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

People are stupid......

Old 12-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #349
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

its amazing, people just keep flying in and crashing!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #350
cartman
Death Herald

I'm finally going to get to make it home tonight. Been away for almost three weeks now.