Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2021, 07:29 AM   #1501
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That college football mania overlaps with the south pretty much explains the mentality.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #1502
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Hmm. The other part of this that I hadn't considered.

NFL draftees pretty much have to go play for the teams that draft them b/c they are literally broke otherwise.

When we think of the high profile exceptions, they had other options so they could credibly threaten to hold out for the year. Elway could play baseball. Eli Manning had family money.

If a top-five pick has a few hundred K in the bank from his college career, he suddenly has a bit more flexibility in deciding where to go.

I still think that the vast majority of guys will go play where they are drafted and start accruing years toward that second contract.

But for the very top guys, it will no longer be a choice between playing and starving.

Fascinating.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #1503
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wonder if some might stick around in school longer.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #1504
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

One of the next logical steps will be removing the minimum GPA requirements for admission and eligibility. Attending class and getting an education will become an option, and players can opt in if they wish to have that extra benefit.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #1505
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Scholarship limits probably become pretty meaningless at the top schools, too, right?

"Sorry we can't offer you a scholarship. I hope that this booster's offer to pay you $150k per season makes up for that."
Old 07-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #1506
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
NCAA Football 2022 here we come!

It looks like summer 2023 is when we'll be getting a game.

Near confirmation of a 2023 release - Operation Sports Forums
Old 07-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #1507
tarcone
Coordinator

Reading through the last several posts, really made me think of all that could and will go on.

I have always been in favor of players being able to major in football. Now seems like the time.

What a crazy time for college athletics with the open transfers and now the ability to get paid. Wow.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #1508
JPhillips
General Manager

Majoring in a sport won't ever work for accreditation bodies.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #1509
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'm waiting for the NCAA's 4 years of eligibility to be challenged. Who's to say someone wouldn't find a player to pay who's not quite NFL level but better than who you have. There's not a lot of jobs out there where there's a cap on how long you're allowed to do it.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #1510
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I'm waiting for the NCAA's 4 years of eligibility to be challenged. Who's to say someone wouldn't find a player to pay who's not quite NFL level but better than who you have. There's not a lot of jobs out there where there's a cap on how long you're allowed to do it.

LOL at the fact that Tyler Hansbrough would still be playing for UNC if that were the case.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #1511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Majoring in a sport won't ever work for accreditation bodies.

Just call it a "fitness" major.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #1512
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
LOL at the fact that Tyler Hansbrough would still be playing for UNC if that were the case.

Ping Jordan Bohannon

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #1513
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
One of the next logical steps will be removing the minimum GPA requirements for admission and eligibility. Attending class and getting an education will become an option, and players can opt in if they wish to have that extra benefit.

I always thought that big time college athletes should just be treated as employees. Paid a negotiated salary with negotiated benefits. Which could, if the player was interested and they actually qualified academically, include tuition payments now or at a future time. (though as employees, they may not have time to do college full time at the same time they're a full-time employee of the school). But the whole relationship between sports and academics at that level is so forced and unnecessary. They there's for entirely distinct reasons.

Last edited by molson : 07-01-2021 at 04:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:24 PM   #1514
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

It's fascinating to see some of the ripple effects this decision is generating.

Football fans want to see Reggie Bush get his Heisman Trophy back with new NIL rules in place

Another thought, can you imagine how many national championships the SMU football program might have won if this policy had been instituted in the mid 1980's? "Hey, Eric, Craig. I'd like an autographed Pony Express jersey. How does $100K apiece sound?"

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 07-01-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #1515
JPhillips
General Manager

Are agents still against the rules? I'm worried that a lot of kids are going to get the equivalent of the old recording industry contracts from people looking for investments in star athletes.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:05 AM   #1516
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Are agents still against the rules? I'm worried that a lot of kids are going to get the equivalent of the old recording industry contracts from people looking for investments in star athletes.

NFLPA permits NFL agents to represent college football players in NIL marketing agreements, per reports - CBSSports.com

Quote:
According to NFL Network and ProFootballTalk, the NFL Players Association has informed NFL agents they will be permitted to represent college football players in NIL marketing agreements.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #1517
miami_fan
Coordinator

I will post the whole article as it addresses the extent of the representation. I suspect other leagues will establish their own rules.

Quote:
College athletes are now allowed to monetize their name, image and likeness (NIL) thanks to an unprecedented NCAA ruling this week, removing restrictions for players to profit from marketing deals. The NFL is already feeling the ripple effects, mild as they may be. According to NFL Network and ProFootballTalk, the NFL Players Association has informed NFL agents they will be permitted to represent college football players in NIL marketing agreements.

NIL deals are "not generally the subject" of NFLPA regulations, a Thursday memo informed agents. So NFL player representatives will be free to engage college athletes in striking such sponsorship or marketing deals.

Quote:
"However, under the regulations," the memo reads, "it is the (agent's) responsibility to monitor and ensure that they are in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, as well as NCAA rules that impact the player's eligibility. Further, any NIL contracts entered into with college players by (an agent) should be wholly separate from any future ... services involving the negotiation of player contracts with NFL teams; for example, an NIL contract should not include any terms that require or condition any NIL terms on the player later hiring that (agent) for NFL contract services."

The memo concludes by noting that the NFLPA will continue to monitor the evolution of NIL agreements. For now, however, agents' involvement with college players cannot legally extend beyond NIL marketing representation. Take Auburn quarterback Bo Nix, for example, a projected top 2022 draft prospect who just Thursday announced a sponsorship deal. An NFL agent could technically negotiate future NIL deals for Nix, but only if the agreement doesn't legally dictate that agent would also represent Nix in the NFL.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #1518
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

At least Clemson can keep paying their players tax free by continuing to funnel it through the New Spring church... unless Dabo keeps his word and quits.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #1519
JPhillips
General Manager

Thanks for this. This looks like a pretty good solution.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #1520
BYU 14
Coordinator

One question I have is how this affects the service academies. Players there are prohibited from endorsing any products, and if there is no workaround this could hurt them. Though many of the players that commit to the academies do not have a lot of D1, I am sure it will further restrict their already tight recruiting net.

And, it may just be a big nothing burger as I have a feeling the number of players that benefit the most from this in terms of individual deals will be a smaller number than we think. I could be wrong there, but time will tell.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #1521
miami_fan
Coordinator

Former Georgia Bulldogs and Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt says he has Parkinson's disease

Tough news. I really do like and respect what I have seen from Mark Richt.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #1522
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Tough news. I really do like and respect what I have seen from Mark Richt.

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him as a person. Even the Georgia fans that called for his ouster said he was a nice guy. Tough neighborhood. Average 10 wins per season and get fired.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:31 AM   #1523
bhlloy
Coordinator

So the MMA gym NIL thing at Miami is the exact scenario we were worried about and were told wouldn’t happen right - that players can make more money being fifth on the depth chart at a school with rich boosters than they can starting at a mid major?

Sure it’s only $500 a month in this instance but what is stopping Phil Knight offering the entire Oregon roster $50k a year? I can’t see any way this doesn’t lead to a very slippery slope - I’m fully in favor of true NIL but this is just paying players under a different name surely.

Last edited by bhlloy : 07-07-2021 at 01:32 AM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #1524
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agree, the more this progresses the more loopholes are coming to light and they will be exploited.

There really should have been some boundaries set and I worry about the the effect this will have on graduation rates, as players but more into marketing than they do studying. All this does is leave them worse off when the money dries up after their playing days end and they have no degree to fall back on.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #1525
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
At least Clemson can keep paying their players tax free by continuing to funnel it through the New Spring church... unless Dabo keeps his word and quits.

Alright Easy Mac, you can take your crazy misinformation from your Gamecock friends and/or message boards and peddle them somewhere else.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #1526
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
There really should have been some boundaries set and I worry about the the effect this will have on graduation rates, as players but more into marketing than they do studying.

Graduation rates will eventually become extraneous information, as the players will be employees of the university, not students per se. Getting an education will be considered a perk, and players who wish to do so can opt in.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #1527
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The opt-in will still make sense for a lot of guys.

I talked to someone coming to law school. He was a D1 kicker in undergrad. He really understood the system. He knew he wasn't good enough to go pro. But he was pretty good at kicking. So, as he put it, he got 4 years undergrad fully paid for and got to play a game as well. And then he was going to law school. Win/win.

I hope that that path still exists for guys who aren't future NFL stars.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #1528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Graduation rates will eventually become extraneous information, as the players will be employees of the university, not students per se. Getting an education will be considered a perk, and players who wish to do so can opt in.

I've advocated a situation akin to this, but you're leaving out an important caveat: they get the same employee discount offered to other university employees, but that's it.

They wanted to turn pro, they don't just get the entitlement parts of it.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #1529
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So the MMA gym NIL thing at Miami is the exact scenario we were worried about and were told wouldn’t happen right - that players can make more money being fifth on the depth chart at a school with rich boosters than they can starting at a mid major?

Sure it’s only $500 a month in this instance but what is stopping Phil Knight offering the entire Oregon roster $50k a year? I can’t see any way this doesn’t lead to a very slippery slope - I’m fully in favor of true NIL but this is just paying players under a different name surely.

Don't worry about the $500/month he's paying ... wait until his fundraising corporation gets rolling. That $500 will be chump change.

And that's all within the rules that were established (IIRC, he was on the advisory committee to help design the state law in Florida)

This isn't a loophole, this is how it was designed to work.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #1530
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Yep, and I suspect that within a few years, there will be a significant structural change among the teams, and undoubtedly some more conference realignments. With the demise of the NCAA, the powerhouses will form their own cartel, probably with 40 or 50 teams. Some of the weaker Power Five programs will leave to join the current Group of Five conferences, as they will not be able to offer their players anything close to the income that the elite teams will.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #1531
cuervo72
Head Coach

Unless they stick around because the big boys need patsies, just as they do now. It's not as if Vandy can keep up with Bama for recruiting as things currently stand.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #1532
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Unless they stick around because the big boys need patsies, just as they do now. It's not as if Vandy can keep up with Bama for recruiting as things currently stand.

That's possible, but with schools like Vanderbilt, Duke and Northwestern to name a few, who emphasize academics, there's another wildcard. I was thinking more about mid-tier programs like Kansas State, Nebraska, NC State, Arizona, etc. who manage to hold on by the skin of their teeth to be somewhat competitive, but stand no chance in what is likely to come.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #1533
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I haven't followed this too closely, are there restrictions on multi-year endorsements?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #1534
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don’t know if there are any restrictions right now or at best it’s state by state? But clearly this took about a week before we got to somebody just deciding to pay the whole roster, which is absurd when you think what NIL actually means. But hey ho. I’m sure he’s getting great value from the backup long snapper promoting his gym.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #1535
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Don't worry about the $500/month he's paying ... wait until his fundraising corporation gets rolling. That $500 will be chump change.

And that's all within the rules that were established (IIRC, he was on the advisory committee to help design the state law in Florida)

This isn't a loophole, this is how it was designed to work.

Absolutely. I imagine there’s also a hilarious conflict of interest when it comes to states writing the rules, when in many states football coaches are by far and away the highest paid state employees to begin with.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #1536
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The U gonna be around if there's a dollar around

NHL's Florida Panthers reveal plan to get involved with NIL deals
Old 07-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #1537
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Any player that makes over 40k from NIL loses their scholarship and it's added income that has to be reported when applying for Pell Grants or any other aid. The Pell Grant thing may not be a deal breaker, but losing your scholarship generally will be.

EDIT: It's 40k, not 45K

Last edited by Atocep : 07-08-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #1538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Any player that makes over 45k from NIL loses their scholarship and it's added income that has to be reported when applying for Pell Grants or any other aid. The Pell Grant thing may not be a deal breaker, but losing your scholarship generally will be.

When does that loss of scholarship take effect though?
Do you have to repay it if it processes in the meantime?

I mean, what keeps a senior from overcollecting?
Or a 1-and-done from overcollecting?

Not like either gives a shit about the scholarship unless there's teeth behind the enforcement of it.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #1539
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
When does that loss of scholarship take effect though?
Do you have to repay it if it processes in the meantime?

I mean, what keeps a senior from overcollecting?
Or a 1-and-done from overcollecting?

Not like either gives a shit about the scholarship unless there's teeth behind the enforcement of it.

I believe it's for the next academic year, but I'm not certain.

Nothing that I know of keeps seniors or 1 and dones from overcollecting, but how many seniors are big enough draws to make that investment worthwhile?

As for 1 and dones, it's a serious roll of the dice for them. If getting paid is their primary goal, though, then the G-League or overseas offers way more money than NIL would likely pay out and a far safer bet.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #1540
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If getting paid is their primary goal, though, then the G-League or overseas offers way more money than NIL would likely pay out and a far safer bet.

Ain't gotta leave the country, ain't gotta do much of anything other than show up, ball some, & collect the check.

I'd say it's a closer toss up than you seem to think.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #1541
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sidenote to all this. Twice this week (so far), the GHSA has issued a reminder to student-athletes that NIL only applies to college, not to high school.

I've been a fairly close observer of the state governing body for a lot of years now, for them to do that twice in a week suggests to me that they've got indications that it's an issue.

And if I'm a HS athlete, there has to be a temptation to think "well, let's just cheat the rules and they'll do like college and do away with those rules. It'll work"
Old 07-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #1542
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Ain't gotta leave the country, ain't gotta do much of anything other than show up, ball some, & collect the check.

I'd say it's a closer toss up than you seem to think.

Jalen Green made 500k to play in the G League rather than go to college this year. I don't think it's much of a toss for most potential 1 and dones.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #1543
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So are Will Wade and Bill Self off the hook now?
Old 07-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #1544
Thomkal
Head Coach

I somehow missed this but after Coastal Carolina's stellar season, I had expected some good things to come from all that attention in recruiting. I was right:

First 4-star Coastal Carolina football commit Matt McDoom 'does it all' | Myrtle Beach Sports | postandcourier.com
Old 09-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #1545
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
What do y'all think are the best programs to be a HC at in terms of resources/likelihood of success vs. expectations? What are the worst?

I asked this a while ago, and several of y'all responded with Nebraska: Managing those expectations while being situated in a recruiting desert.

Without the benefit of hindsight, Frost actually seemed like a pretty good hire. A guy who seemed to have talent who also had a reason to go and stay there.

Will be interesting to see if anyone can right the ship now.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #1546
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I asked this a while ago, and several of y'all responded with Nebraska: Managing those expectations while being situated in a recruiting desert.

Without the benefit of hindsight, Frost actually seemed like a pretty good hire. A guy who seemed to have talent who also had a reason to go and stay there.

Will be interesting to see if anyone can right the ship now.

Yep seemed like he was going to be the Head Coach for Life there since it seemed like such a good fit
Old 09-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #1547
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I love how Fox is promoting the Oklahoma vs Nebraska "rivalry" game. At this point, who wants to watch that? Nebraska has lost 4 of their last 5 games to teams no where near the talent level of Oklahoma.

There have been tons of upsets already this year, but this just doesn't look like it's going to fall that way.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote