Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #251
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Double dola - and Mourinho is sacked too!

I meant to ask. Brendan is +450 to be the next Spurs boss. Are you going to able to keep him?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:25 AM   #252
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I meant to ask. Brendan is +450 to be the next Spurs boss. Are you going to able to keep him?

Short term 100%. Anyone would be crazy to go to Spurs right now with all this Super League kicking off, particularly from a club that is higher in the league.

If at the end of the season we miss top 4 (if that still means something) and particularly if they do get into the CL if the Super League doesn't take off, it may be different, but again, based on the last 2-3 years why would anyone with ambition want to go and work for Levy and Lewis?

Last edited by AlexB : 04-20-2021 at 06:30 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:03 AM   #253
AlexB
Pro Starter

What sticks in my throat is that suddenly FIFA and UEFA are now the good guys: they’ve been doing plenty to ruin football themselves over the past years, and it just goes to show how bad an idea this Super League is
Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #254
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

There definitely seems to be something in the rumors from yesterday. Would be very nice if Chelsea and City pulled out jointly. But yeah, UEFA still needs some reforming and I don't mean giving more hand-me-out UCL places based on how a club did in 1996.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 06:28 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #255
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pep just did his presser for Aston Villa and he wasn't muzzled at all. Said he found out a few hours before the statement was put out. He doesn't have all the information to form a concrete opinion, but then he basically started picking everything apart. Like how were clubs picked and why aren't certain ones in it. He said something about how sport isn't really sport if there are no repercussions for losing. He also took a shot at FIFA and UEFA as well, questioning the stupid international schedule and how it caused Lewandowski to miss the Bayern-PSG quarterfinal.

So he basically knows enough to know he isn't a fan. It does give me a little more hope that there still might be some time to reverse course.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:59 AM   #256
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Reversing course from a PR standpoint is one thing. What about legally? Surely they didn't announce this without having legally documented commitments. If they did, then this was just a test balloon and if it floated, they all went along for the ride. If not, you just walk it back and try to buy as much goodwill for pulling out as you can.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-20-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #257
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Florentino Perez said last night that all the clubs signed binding contracts, but if he said it was sunny I would walk outside to check 10 times out of 10.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #258
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Pep just did his presser for Aston Villa and he wasn't muzzled at all. Said he found out a few hours before the statement was put out. He doesn't have all the information to form a concrete opinion, but then he basically started picking everything apart. Like how were clubs picked and why aren't certain ones in it. He said something about how sport isn't really sport if there are no repercussions for losing. He also took a shot at FIFA and UEFA as well, questioning the stupid international schedule and how it caused Lewandowski to miss the Bayern-PSG quarterfinal.

So he basically knows enough to know he isn't a fan. It does give me a little more hope that there still might be some time to reverse course.

Although the presser was then cut short by the club, so I don't think the club were over impressed!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #259
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Lol yes they did! I was surprised they didn't try to shut down anything not related to Villa, although I couldn't tell what the PR officer said exactly before Pep started. He would speak his mind anyways, there is a reason he's at City in the first place.

Hope this is true.

From Rashford's twitter:

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #260
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Florentino Perez said last night that all the clubs signed binding contracts, but if he said it was sunny I would walk outside to check 10 times out of 10.

It seems that it may be outside UK competition laws, so that could be a get out for the English clubs if true and they need one.

If it doesn't happen they will be back in the PL, but bridges have been burned. They will never be trusted again, particularly after Project Big Picture last year as well. I think that they have already changed football, just for events of the last 48 hours.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #261
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez -- chairman of the proposed breakaway European Super League -- has suggested football matches should be shortened to win back the interest of new generations of fans.

I have a suggestion for you Florentino. Two halves broken into 15 minute quarters with breaks or huddles before each phase of play. You could also have 6 timeouts per half during which the coach can draw up plays on a clipboard.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #262
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I have a suggestion for you Florentino. Two halves broken into 15 minute quarters with breaks or huddles before each phase of play. You could also have 6 timeouts per half during which the coach can draw up plays on a clipboard.

Hah! One of the reasons I find soccer more appealing than the big four now is the simple 45-15-45 breakdown. I know it probably makes advertisers cringe.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #263
Ksyrup

I know America isn't a primary consideration here, but that dude ought to be forced to sit through a Yankees/Red Sox game or Missouri/Vandy football game. Two hours to set my watch to and 1 commercial interruption per game is a Godsend. I've been to middle school basketball games that last about that long.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pep just did his presser for Aston Villa and he wasn't muzzled at all.

I read the recap of that presser and one thing he said I definitely agree with.
It really isn't fair for the coaches to get grilled on this.

I mean, I understand it and all but it's not fair.

That's some serious no-win situation for them, all of them.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #265
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Loads of Chelsea fans outside of Stamford Bridge protesting. There is a video circulating where Petr Cech came out and told fans, "I know. Give us time." Whatever that means.

Edit: I failed to realize that Chelsea are playing today, so Cech is probably pleading for them to stand down.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #266
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The Athletic is reporting the same now, joining the BBC.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #267
pantera
n00b

The hypocrisy in all of this is astounding.

I'm not in favor of the Super League, but my word the stuff coming from the opposition...

UEFA refused to implement FFP and seriously punish Man City and PSG when they were caught cheating.

FIFA has the blood of hundreds of workers who died building World Cup venues for games to be played in a scorching desert, after a payoff from the host country. And they've been perhaps the most corrupt sporting organization in the world for decades.

Clubs like Everton and Leeds protesting the 6 Premier League villains, when we all know if they had gotten an invite for the Super League and its likely megariches, they'd join in a heartbeat.

The Premier League and Sky protesting, when the Premier League itself was a breakaway from the English football pyramid in order to make more money. You never hear any mention of football titles, scoring records etc before 1992 on their broadcasts. It's as if football didn't exist before the Premier League.

If these entities want to be angry because there is a big money grab happening that doesn't include them, fine. But their anger is really because they can't take advantage of this opportunity for themselves.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #268
AlexB
Pro Starter

You’re not entirely wrong, but you’ve missed a lot - the PL always maintained promotion and relegation, so was not a closed shop. If you finish bottom three, you’re down, no matter who you are.

You’re right that FIFA and UEFA have been atrocious over the years - this idea is so bad that they are actually the good guys in this.

And you just have to see Bayern, Porto, PSG saying no, and now Chelsea withdrawing (although ithat is clearly down to the level of opposition) to show that not everyone is following the money at all costs.

Having said all that, I cancelled my Sky subscription a couple of months ago as I’ve fallen out of love with the game, largely for the attitudes shown in this ESL madness - the game has no soul any more, and probably hasn’t for a while

Just because FIFA and UEFA are charlatans doesn’t mean we shouldn’t vociferously oppose the ESL
Old 04-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #269
Critch
lolzcat

Rumors than Man City have pulled out too.

May even have been them first, but Chelsea story broke quicker.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #270
Ksyrup

I don't get the decision-making here. Were these teams caught off-guard by the level of opposition? It doesn't seem like they should have been. But to cave so quickly suggests they didn't really think any of this through.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:17 PM   #271
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
UEFA refused to implement FFP and seriously punish Man City and PSG when they were caught cheating.

Liverpool should have been seriously punished when it was discovered they hacked into City's scouting system several years ago, but like most things involving the cartel clubs it was swept under the rug.

FFP was designed to appease the very clubs that form the backbone of this shit Super League. It never even mentioned debt for crying out loud. When at first you don't succeed (ie Liverpool, United, and Arsenal dropping out of the Top 4 at various points) you break away.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #272
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Rumors than Man City have pulled out too.

May even have been them first, but Chelsea story broke quicker.

Atletico Madrid, come on down! You're the next contestant on the.....
Old 04-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #273
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Barcelona OUT.

This is looking like a bluff that may have worked.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #274
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't get the decision-making here. Were these teams caught off-guard by the level of opposition? It doesn't seem like they should have been. But to cave so quickly suggests they didn't really think any of this through.

The rumours are Chelsea and Man City only joined not to be left behind, as opposed to being fully behind it. If they weren’t committed, they probably weren’t prepared for the reaction
Old 04-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #275
Critch
lolzcat

I think they were caught off guard by the level of UK government opposition. They were talking about "super taxing" any profits made.

In probably not unconnected news, Barcelona and Real Madrid are in a huge amount of debt and last month lost a case against the EU to make them pay back government subsidies, so their government wont be bailing them out. So they're desperate.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #276
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Now about those merit Champions League places for a club like AC Milan....
Old 04-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #277
AlexB
Pro Starter

I think Juventus are in the worst spot: at serious risk of not qualifying for the CL, which apparently is an absolute must for their cashflow.

Who would have thought signing players in their mid 30s and paying them a fortune was a poor financial decision...
Old 04-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #278
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
I think Juventus are in the worst spot: at serious risk of not qualifying for the CL, which apparently is an absolute must for their cashflow.

Who would have thought signing players in their mid 30s and paying them a fortune was a poor financial decision...

FFP will save them because that is what it's there for, right?
Old 04-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #279
Critch
lolzcat

Man Utd allegedly out now too. That was a quick crumbling.

If the Super League is crumbling, it'll leave Jose Mourinho as the only ever Super League manager fired.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #280
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
FFP will save them because that is what it's there for, right?

It will be nice to go back to focussing my ire on FIFA and UEFA, but there’ll always be a lot of disdain for the greedy dozen
Old 04-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #281
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Man Utd allegedly out now too. That was a quick crumbling.

If the Super League is crumbling, it'll leave Jose Mourinho as the only ever Super League manager fired.

Special!
Old 04-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #282
AlexB
Pro Starter

I don’t think that the 12 should get away with this scot free: it will never happen, but a one year ban from European competition would be about right.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #283
AlexB
Pro Starter

This made me chuckle!

Get Involved - European Super League

Last edited by AlexB : 04-20-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #284
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'd like to think that the Ted Lasso Season 2 trailer dropping today had a small amount to do with killing the Super League.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #285
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Ed Woodward has resigned as United's chairman. The news keeps getting better!

Edit: Agnelli might be out as well

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #286
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sorry Chelsea, being reported that City dropped out first.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #287
AlexB
Pro Starter

Apparently Agniello has left Juve now too.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #288
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Apparently Agniello has left Juve now too.

Draining the swamp!
Old 04-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #289
AlexB
Pro Starter

It is like a failed coup d’etat, with the insurgents fleeing to avoid repercussions
Old 04-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #290
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera View Post
The hypocrisy in all of this is astounding.

I'm not in favor of the Super League, but my word the stuff coming from the opposition...

FIFA has the blood of hundreds of workers who died building World Cup venues for games to be played in a scorching desert, after a payoff from the host country. And they've been perhaps the most corrupt sporting organization in the world for decades.

Clubs like Everton and Leeds protesting the 6 Premier League villains, when we all know if they had gotten an invite for the Super League and its likely megariches, they'd join in a heartbeat.

The Premier League and Sky protesting, when the Premier League itself was a breakaway from the English football pyramid in order to make more money. You never hear any mention of football titles, scoring records etc before 1992 on their broadcasts. It's as if football didn't exist before the Premier League.

If these entities want to be angry because there is a big money grab happening that doesn't include them, fine. But their anger is really because they can't take advantage of this opportunity for themselves.

Just catching up on everything. I don't think any opposition to the Super League is automatically a defense of the status quo. UEFA and FIFA get criticized regularly and will probably resume getting criticized once this is done and over with. It is highly unlikely but it might have benefited the Super League folks to bring in a Nottingham Forrest or an Ajax to beef up their historical credentials. The Premier League did not stop Sheffield Wednesday or Norwich City from joining the league nor have they made Arsenal a permanent member even if they have been in the top flight since the 1910s. There is a lot wrong with the game worldwide that deserves to get criticism. The founding members of the Super League are getting their rightful share now.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #291
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is so rare that horrible momey-grab idea falls apart so rapidly. Think, someone at JP Morgan oked 3.6 billion for this little disaster.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-20-2021 at 04:04 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #292
JPhillips
General Manager

Please model this possibility into FM.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #293
Critch
lolzcat

Old 04-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #294
cuervo72
Head Coach

lol
Old 04-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #295
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lol!

This feels like time for a deadline to be set - back in by midday tomorrow GMT or you will be expelled from the Champions League and it's up to the individual FA's to determine what sanctions you will receive. You can imagine Perez, FSG and the Glazers trying to attract some other teams like Porto or Valencia to try to shore this thing up, and it just needs to get killed with fire.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #296
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 04-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #297
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Bye Felicia
Old 04-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #298
kingfc22
Head Coach

All of their official Twitter accounts just posted at the same time
Old 04-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #299
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So the Super League is Real, Atletico & 3 Italian clubs?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #300
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So the Super League is Real, Atletico & 3 Italian clubs?

I think the Barcelona president said their involvement will be left to their socios, but I don't see how they would vote in favor for it now. I'm not even sure how they decided to join without a vote. Not really the time to gloat about it, but I'm thinking this Super League was going to be the only way to help keep Messi there beyond this season. I still think he joins City. He will pay for himself with new and renegotiated sponsorships.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-20-2021 at 05:25 PM.