Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Anyone in Phamaceutical Sales

Per the title, I'm looking at a few phamaceutical sales jobs and wanted to know what I should expect. I was hoping that someone here would be in that field.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Another thing, anyone have any feelings on the Dayton/Springboro, OH area?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I did some pharmaceutical sales in college, but really nothing more than a few dime bags, occasionally an 1/8th.

golden
Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If you are not a female and smoking hot, Id say you dont have much chance.
A close friend is in the business and she meets the criteria, and so do all her work friends.

From what I have seen it is a pay huge chunk you out the door as soon as your numbers drop business.

I have family in Deerfield/Ravenna Ohio and quite honestly it may be the worst place on the face of the planet. I mean literally it is the underarm of America.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
A close friend is in the business and she meets the criteria, and so do all her work friends.

From what I have seen it is a pay huge chunk you out the door as soon as your numbers drop business.

I have family in Deerfield/Ravenna Ohio and quite honestly it may be the worst place on the face of the planet. I mean literally it is the underarm of America.

So you are basically saying that he should take the job
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

My father was in the industry for about 35 years, and all of the above is definitely true. It was amazing (in more ways than one) to see the transformation within the company. Also, I have three friends doing it now...all female, all hot.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

That's the other side of the state. That part of the state is a hellhole. My wife is from near there.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My father was in the industry for about 35 years, and all of the above is definitely true. It was amazing (in more ways than one) to see the transformation within the company. Also, I have three friends doing it now...all female, all hot.

I wonder if it is going to be like the freight companies. 10-15 years ago all the freight salesman were hot women. Now, they're all men. I think much of it was due to the fact that most didn't know what the heck they were doing.

Quite honestly if there is a hot chick that knows her stuff in any sales organization she can go far. I don't know what it is, but all the hot women in sales I have known, none ever put an emphasis on knowing what they needed to know. Sure, they could get all the face time in front of the customer they wanted, but seldom got anything more than that.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #9
Rizon
Pro Starter

Stop by any local high school and you could make a killing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Be prepared to be sued. I don't know Ohio specifics, but when I did some legal defense work for Big Pharma many of the lawsuits named the sales folk. The drug companies almost always indemnify, but keep good records, be careful what you put in writing and be prepared to see your name in multi-million dollar lawsuits.

As for the area, I could certainly think of better places to be. Dayton is rebounding a bit, but still hasn't recovered from the los of industrial jobs. Springboro has a mediocre dinner theatre and that may be the highlight of the town.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

If you have any specific questions on the Dayton area, I live here. I am about 10 miles from Springboro. The suburban areas of Dayton are quite nice, but Dayton itself is a decaying hole. Springboro is an area that I would consider in the process of transformation from a small, quiet suburb to beginning to feel the crush of development nearby.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Keep in mind, I'm from Memphis, so anyplace that isn't one of the capitals of violent crime in the country would be an improvement.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

This is pretty much my perspective on things, as well.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My most recent and current clients are both pharmas. At both, it's pretty easy to spot the reps. Most are female, though some are male, they're always dressed nice, and they're all hot (including the men). In fact, I remember reading an article (maybe in the NYT) a while ago about how pharmas recruit pretty heavily from the University Cheerleading ranks for these positions.

Anyway, my understanding is that the bulk of the job involves visiting doctors and a) dropping off free samples, b) dropping off free food (or having it delivered) and c) trying to convince the doctors to prescribe your drugs to patients.

I don't think you have to be terribly smart to do the job (though most of the reps I've met are pretty bright), but you definitely have to be personable, pretty much to the nth degree. Consider that the doctors you're seeing already know more than you about the condition you're proposing to have your drug treat, they're almost certainly overworked, they know exactly what you're there to do, and a good number view you (and pharmas in general) as necessary evils.

The best I can say is that the job can be very financially rewarding if you're good at it and can stick it out. Good luck!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

Kind of sad considering the what the purpose of the sales are.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

This topic reminded me of my old hometown. There were some "pharamceutical representatives" on selected corners and also in the schools. No women at that time - they were all men, though some of them had some interesting looking women hanging around them. They did dress well and had some nice rides, so they must have been doing well.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I remember when I was a resident just 10 years ago, it seemed like about a third to a half of the pharm reps were male. Now, all I ever see are hot females. It certainly seems like the field has tilted heavily towards the female gender but perhaps that is because I work at an office that is predominantly male docs.

Edit to add: All of the men that I have seen in the field are good looking men. Also, I agree that personality is a plus. There is one rep who had a horrible personality and most of the docs refused to see him and before he knew it, he was gone. I think a decent understanding of statistics is important as well. Most of the time reps are quoting studies and bringing studies by for us to see. If they don't seem to understand the stats or make outrageous claims that the statistics don't support, I don't talk to them again.

Honestly, I don't like seeing any drug reps, even though they are hot, because I'm afraid they will influence my prescribing in subtle ways. However, I do see them because they leave samples which are a big help to our mostly indigent population, particularly when the child's medicaid status has lapsed for some reason.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-11-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
miked
College Starter

I'm on the flip side, I run a lab and deal with these people all the time. Unless you are a hot female, be prepared for a chore. It's just that a lot of people don't like salespeople, unless they either get free meals, or get to stare at tetas. I was at the American Heart Association conference recently and when I walked through the concourse where all the sales reps were, I only stopped to listen if a hot chick was talking. Why? I don't like pushy salespeople, and if I'm going to have to sit through their little diatribes about why their drug lowered cholesterol by 35% while the competitors only lowered it by 31%, I better get something to look at.

All the dudes in the sales area were pretty much alone, or had very few people talking to them.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't work in that industry, but we get a lot of vendor reps here (computer company). It's not quite as shallow as the pharms, but you still do see some attractive females.

One thing that I find interesting is how often these reps will change companies - some of them, every few times you see them they'll have switched jobs and will be representing someone else.