Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

Steam........

I can't wrap my head around the idea. If you buy a game from steam, do you d/l the whole game to your computer, then play it as you as you own it? Or do you have to play it with the "steam" program open? Someone told me on here that you can play it offline, is that all the time, or do you get a one time validation code, and once it's validated you can not open the "steam" program and play it as though it's yours?

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I can't wrap my head around the idea. If you buy a game from steam, do you d/l the whole game to your computer, then play it as you as you own it? Or do you have to play it with the "steam" program open? Someone told me on here that you can play it offline, is that all the time, or do you get a one time validation code, and once it's validated you can not open the "steam" program and play it as though it's yours?

You don't have to be online, but then I guess I never found that aspect an issue really.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

The default setting is that it will log back onto the Steam Service, but there is a setting you can change to play "offline". Click the Steam menu and select "Go offline". You'll get a message saying some features may not be available, but you can then restart in offline mode. This would allow you to play your game if you were not connected to the internet. Hope this helps...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You first install Steam which then allows you to download the games to your new Steam directories. And yes, you can play any Steam game "offline" meaning Steam does not need to be open to play it. But I believe you must activate the game prior to playing it. Once activated you can play offline any time you want.

Just an addition to what tyketime said, you can also set up the shortcut so you can start the game without Steam being started. So it's just like any other gaming shortcut on your desktop/start menu. You just need to make certain you installed the game and then activated while connected to Steam. Any time after that you can play the game without steam.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 06-20-2010 at 08:28 PM.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
cougarfreak
College Starter

Great, thanks that's what I wanted to know. I appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
You first install Steam which then allows you to download the games to your new Steam directories. And yes, you can play any Steam game "offline" meaning Steam does not need to be open to play it. But I believe you must activate the game prior to playing it. Once activated you can play offline any time you want.

Just an addition to what tyketime said, you can also set up the shortcut so you can start the game without Steam being started. So it's just like any other gaming shortcut on your desktop/start menu. You just need to make certain you installed the game and then activated while connected to Steam. Any time after that you can play the game without steam.

Could anyone give me directions on how to do this? I've d/l'd and installed FM 2010 through steam, now I'd like to create the shortcut on my desktop for the game, and be able to not play it through steam.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

In Steam, go to the games library, and right click on FM. There is a "create desktop shortcut" option.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Could anyone give me directions on how to do this? I've d/l'd and installed FM 2010 through steam, now I'd like to create the shortcut on my desktop for the game, and be able to not play it through steam.

I'm not sure that you are able to do this with with FM 2010. It was possible with WWSM 2009, but the method doesn't work with 2010. You can create a desktop shortcut, but opening the shortcut will start Steam before it starts FM.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-21-2010 at 12:41 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Offline Mode - Features - Knowledge Base - Steam Support
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I must say that I hated Steam when it debuted with HL2 but I am loving it anymore. It's great to be able to bring my games with me just by signing on.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I must say that I hated Steam when it debuted with HL2 but I am loving it anymore. It's great to be able to bring my games with me just by signing on.

Word. I had a strange and unexplainable dislike of it when it was launched and the years following, and only caved in because of X-Com. Now I'm glad I didn't find it sooner, because it's milking my wallet dry.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Word. I had a strange and unexplainable dislike of it when it was launched and the years following, and only caved in because of X-Com. Now I'm glad I didn't find it sooner, because it's milking my wallet dry.

To be fair Steam didn't work very well when it launched with Half Life 2, so not liking it was neither strange or unexplainable. It took me a while to buy anything other than Valve games, but now it's my preferred method of buying games.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #13
Coder
College Prospect

Steam is awesome. Since I got HL2 on release (my first Steam-experience), I've gotten new computers or re-formatted several times. However, all I need to to is to log in to Steam and a list of all the games I own is right there, waiting for me to download and install them.

Since then, I've even waited past release-dates for games just to buy them on Steam, rather than scurry over to my local gaming store to buy a CD that will be lost within in the next few weeks never to be found again.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
cougarfreak
College Starter

If I have to reformat a comptuer, do saved games save with Steam?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Think that depends on the game.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
If I have to reformat a comptuer, do saved games save with Steam?

As far as my games go, saved games are stored locally, so if I would re-format without taking backups, those saved games would disappear. That includes, for example, FM.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
cougarfreak
College Starter

Ok, thanks I'll back up saves on my external HD.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
PilotMan
Head Coach

Edited so I can do some more research.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 06-21-2010 at 02:44 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Seems like as good a place as any to ask, can anybody recommend a game with a WoW or Dragon Age type of feel, but older (and available on Steam)? Older because my computer won't run a lot of the new stuff...maybe a sort of feel of the original Elder Scrolls games (my computer won't run Oblivion but I have that on 360 anyway...Dragon Age too actually).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Seems like as good a place as any to ask, can anybody recommend a game with a WoW or Dragon Age type of feel, but older (and available on Steam)? Older because my computer won't run a lot of the new stuff...maybe a sort of feel of the original Elder Scrolls games (my computer won't run Oblivion but I have that on 360 anyway...Dragon Age too actually).

/tk

Have you done Knights of the Old Republic?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Have you done Knights of the Old Republic?

yeah, back in the day on original XBOX.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Steam has to be the most diabolical evil company on the face of the planet running the kind of sales it has been. This is some kind of scheme to take over the planet.

I think I've stocked up on enough games to last me 2 years, and that's if I don't play any MMOs.

I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Steam has to be the most diabolical evil company on the face of the planet running the kind of sales it has been. This is some kind of scheme to take over the planet.

I think I've stocked up on enough games to last me 2 years, and that's if I don't play any MMOs.

I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi.

Yup. Right now I'm hooked on both Mass Effect and Half-Life 2, but I've still got Civ IV/KoTOR/Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age/Deus Ex 1 & 2/tons of others to get to when I'm done... argh.