Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Big Six
High School Varsity

Goodness, Discipline, Knowledge, and Hockey, Revisited: St. Michael's Majors (EHM)

About three years ago, I started a dynasty story about the St. Michael's Majors of the Ontario Hockey League. I don't know why I didn't get very far with it, because as I remember, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I suppose I got so busy with "real life" that I lost touch with the story.

Anyway, I decided I really missed playing Eastside Hockey Manager, so I decided to begin another Majors dynasty tale. I hope some of you will enjoy reading about a major junior hockey team's pursuit of excellence.

I'm copying much of the introduction to my previous Majors story here.

The St. Michael's Majors are one of the most historic clubs in Canadian major junior hockey. The Majors were founded by the St. Michael's College School in Toronto in 1906, and played in the Ontario Hockey League and its predecessor, the Ontario Hockey Association, until 1961. The Majors won the Canadian amateur championship in 1910, and captured the Memorial Cup--given to Canada's top major junior team--three times.

After winning the Cup in 1961, the Majors' coach, Father David Bauer, disbanded the team. According to the Majors' website, Father Bauer believed the OHL's "grueling schedule and rough play conflicted with the school’s ideals."

The 1961 Memorial Cup champions: last of an era

The Majors returned to the OHL in 1996, and have been part of the league ever since. In 2001, the school sold the team to Eugene Melnyk, who is now the owner of the Ottawa Senators. Melnyk tried for several years to secure a new arena for the team, even attempting to purchase Maple Leaf Gardens. When none of these plans worked, Melnyk purchased another OHL club, the Mississauga IceDogs. Then, Melnyk sold the IceDogs and moved the Majors into the Dogs' old home in the Toronto suburbs. The IceDogs relocated to St. Catharines, where they're now known as the Niagara Ice Dogs.

I've enjoyed managing OHL teams using Eastside Hockey Manager for a while now. In the "world" created by EHM, the year is 2006; the Majors still play at the St. Michael's College School Arena in Toronto; and the IceDogs still call Mississauga their home. (I could edit the database to reflect the "real" changes, but I'd rather simply play the game.) So, in my hockey world, the Majors still represent their original home in Toronto.

I'm taking over as GM of the Majors as the 2006-2007 season begins. I'll introduce you to the players, coaches, and staff, and we'll follow them as they attempt to bring the Memorial Cup back to Toronto.

The Majors' rich history has been built by great players like Bobby Bauer, Gerry Cheevers, Tim Horton, Red Kelly, Dave Keon, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Reg Noble, and Joe Primeau. The players you'll meet in this dynasty are fictional, but perhaps some of them will become legends in their hockey universe, too.

It's August, 2006. Let's get ready to drop the puck...

Last edited by Big Six : 11-08-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Big Six
High School Varsity

Here is the St. Michael's College School Arena, which is located on the school's Toronto campus. It's the smallest arena in the OHL, seating only 1800 people. I like it's old-school feel, though, and its ice surface is very good. Majors fans are also very supportive, and they'll turn out in large numbers--especially if the team is competitive.

I'm in the process of improving the Majors' personnel, hiring a head coach and some new assistants, and getting some more talented scouts on board. I'm also searching for some talented free agents, because there are a few places where our roster isn't strong enough to be competitive.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Always love your stuff, Big Six. Looking forward to a hockey dynasty! I need to find my EHM license.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Big Six
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Always love your stuff, Big Six. Looking forward to a hockey dynasty! I need to find my EHM license.

Thanks, JetsIn06. I'm glad I still have EHM on my laptop. Even though it's been on hiatus for years, it's still one of my favorite sports management games. I know a lot of people hold out hope that the new hockey game from the folks at OOTP will one day be a winner, but right now it is still very, very much a work in progress. EHM isn't nearly as customizable as I might like, but it's still a tremendous amount of fun.

I hope I have a long, successful, enjoyable run with this dynasty. Good to have you following along.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Big Six
High School Varsity

3 September 2006

Training camp opened today, with 53 aspiring Majors hitting the ice for the first time. I figured this was a great time to introduce you to our coaching staff. I have been busy hiring talented coaches, and so far I'm pleased with the results of my efforts.

Head Coach: Philip Atkinson
Nationality: USA
Contract: 3 years @ $67,500/year

I chose Coach Atkinson for his wide-ranging coaching talents; he can do it all, with the possible exception of coaching goalies.

Assistant Coach: Ian Madden
Nationality: USA

Contract: 2 years @ $20,000/year
Coach Madden is an especially good tactician, and his talents for coaching forwards and defensemen are probably as good as those of any coach in the OHL. I expect Ian will be a head coach one day.

Assistant Coach: James Rhéaume
Nationality: Canada
Contract: 2 years @ $19,000/year

Coach Rhéaume brings experience and maturity to our staff, plus a real talent for the care and feeding of goaltenders.

Head Scout: Calvin Hamilton
Contract: 2 years @ $10,500/year

I don't think I can have enough good scouts, and Calvin is a good one. He's the head of a nine-man team that should give us the ability to evaluate players all over Ontario.

Trainer: Piero Hoffman
Contract: 4 years @ $19,000/year

Hoff and Calvin are the sole holdovers from our staff. I was delighted to see a trainer with Hoff's ability working with an OHL squad.

You may notice I didn't mention an assistant GM. The guy I have looks like he'd be over his head in a beer league, and I'm actively working to replace him. He also combines an alarming lack of Adaptability with a remarkable inability to work with young players.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Big Six
High School Varsity

Meet your 2006-2007 Toronto St. Michael's Majors

15 September 2006

Training camp is over, and I've selected the players for the Majors' Opening Night roster. Here's the team that will wear Majors blue as the season opens. All the players are from Ontario, unless otherwise specified.

Code:
NO NAME POS AGE HT WT HOME TOWN 1 Glenn Edwards G 16 5'11" 183 Milton 2 KC Gregory D/RW 16 6'2" 211 Estevan, SK 3 Paden Arnason D 19 5'11" 208 Brampton 4 Lloyd Galarneau D 18 6'1" 188 Wellington 5 Juris Brencis D 17 6'4" 198 Rezekne, Latvia 6 Casey Hamilton D 19 5'11" 180 Bethany 7 Steven McKinnon D 16 5'11" 178 Walden 8 Chip Gasparini D 18 6'1 183 Albany, NY 9 Travis Filewich LW 19 6'6" 207 Cottam 10 Tony Proulx LW/C 20 5'10" 194 Toronto 11 Pierre-Luc Rome LW 20 5'11" 198 Mississauga 12 Will Woolcox RW 18 5'9" 152 Oxford, MI 13 Paul-André Dirk RW 18 6'4" 205 Mississauga 14 Kris Keating C 17 6'0" 147 Kitchener 15 Danny Cook C 17 5'8" 189 Potsdam, NY 17 Pat Hickey RW 18 5'10" 202 Springfield, MO 18 Nigel Armstrong RW 18 6'0" 183 Oakville 19 Sam Spencer C 16 5'11" 160 Mississauga 20 Michael Dubuc D 19 6'1" 216 Bourgat 23 Jack McIntosh RW 20 6'4" 222 Bramalea 24 Pier-Olivier Sutherland LW 18 6'2" 187 Nashua, NH 25 Karol Farrer LW 18 6'0" 209 Toronto 26 Duncan Geiger C 17 6'0" 121 Odessa 35 Joe MacDonald G 19 6'0" 189 Bethany

FORWARDS
Our first line might be one of the OHL's top units, if young centre Kris Keating turns out to be ready for prime time. He's got good hands and vision, but there are some real questions about his skating ability. Both his wingers are first-rate, however. Will Woolcox is possibly the team's biggest star, a highly-skilled two-way forward. The Hockey News ranked Woolcox as the OHL's top right wing. Karol Farrer, who features a wicked slapshot, also got props from THN, who named him the league's #3 left wing.

The second line is centered by young Duncan Geiger, a hard-nosed kid with a lot of promise. His teammates call him "The Blade" because of his thin build. Geiger will be flanked by two overagers. Captain Jack McIntosh is the heart and soul of our team. He's a talented, tough player with a scorer's touch. The other wing, Pierre-Luc Rome, brings even more grit to the second unit.

Pat Hickey was signed after he opened our eyes at camp. He's an elite enforcer with decent defensive skills that make him more than a goon. In fact, Pat will see duty on our first penalty killing unit. Hickey will skate with Travis Filewich, who is a swift skater and a team leader, and solid, balanced centre Pier-Olivier Sutherland.

Tony Proulx is our third overager. He's a classy guy, but we'd like more output from one of our coveted overage slots. Tough Nigel Armstrong and promising Sam Spencer will also see time on our fourth line. Armstrong could also be useful as a penalty killer.

DEFENCE
Our first pair will feature strapping Latvian Juris Brencis and powerful Michael Dubuc. Brencis is an offensive threat with lots of Flair, while Dubuc is a strong, stay-at-home blueliner whose skills complement Brencis' very well. Both Juris and Michael will see duty on both special teams.

Paden Arnason, whose only weak point is an alarming lack of speed, will pair with Casey Hamilton, whose style is very similar to Dubuc's. Casey hurt his rotator cuff in our last exhibition game, and he'll miss the first two weeks of the regular season.

Hamilton's injury opens up some playing time for KC Gregory, who also made the team out of camp. He's tough and promising, and can also play right wing. Young, talented Steven McKinnon and solid, fast Chip Gasparini also figure into the backline picture. Gasparini contributes on the PK units, too.

GOAL
Starter "Country" Joe MacDonald isn't flashy, but he has solid skills and will give us a chance to win each night. Young Glenn Edwards will back him up.

I like teams that play tough, "old-time" hockey, and the Majors have a number of players who epitomize this style: Geiger, Armstrong, Rome, Gregory, Hickey, and especially McIntosh. I'm looking for a true #1 centre, and possibly another puck-moving defenceman, but otherwise I'm happy with the squad we're taking into the OHL season.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Big Six
High School Varsity

7 October 2006

The Majors are off to a strong start, with a 4-2-1 record after seven games. One big reason why: the play of captain Jack McIntosh. He's tied for the top spot on the OHL scoring table, with 7 goals, 8 assists, and 15 points in seven contests. Jack was named the OHL Player of the Week today.

Captain Jack has endeared himself to Majors fans in another way, too. He's a fearless and effective fighter who has dropped the gloves three times and won them all. McIntosh's 33 PIM ranks him second in the league, behind teammate Pat Hickey, who has already spent 49 minutes in the box. Pat is also unvanquished in three fights, but I'd like him to cut down quite a bit on the minor penalties.

We hired a new assistant GM this week, too. Al Lalonde brings to the club a sharp eye for evaluating talent and projecting the future ability of young players. And, while we were at it, we added another assistant coach to our staff. Varian Brooks was looking for an assistant GM position, but when I saw how much talent he has as a coach, I offered him a job and he took it. Varian is 30, and his youth and enthusiasm helps him relate well to the players.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Big Six
High School Varsity

17 October 2006

Our new assistant GM, Al Lalonde, identified the need to upgrade our centre position as our #1 roster priority. With that in mind, I made two trades that significantly improved our roster.

On the 9th, we sent winger Paul-André Dirk, a draft pick, and the rights to two players on our reserve list to Belleville for Zenith Cross. Zenith is 17, can play both centre and right wing well, and has a scorer's touch. He is also a very good defensive forward. Zenith has been identified as a possible first round pick in the 2007 NHL draft.

A week later, we picked up centre Shawn Stevens from Sault Ste. Marie. Shawn had a goal and 11 assists in 11 games with the Greyhounds. He's 18 and, as his stats indicate, he's an extremely creative playmaker. Like Z, he is very solid in his own end.

Shawn's acquisition will give us the ability to put together a second scoring line; he'll center one, and Kris Keating the other. Zenith will be a perfect fit on our third line, and he'll make it a little more dangerous offensively. We can use both our new guys on the special teams, too.

I'm still shopping for a defenceman, but if I don't find one I really like, I won't make a trade for the sake of making one.

After 12 games, we're 7-4-1, and our 15 points have us 2 up on Oshawa in the Eastern Division race.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Big Six
High School Varsity

3 November 2006

Majors Nation is feeling really good about two trades we made in the past week. Two of our sharpest scouts watched the Erie Otters play one night, and developed man crushes on centre Nicholas Fréchette. His report card from the scouts was almost as good as it gets--straight A/A- grades, with the exception of a B+ for defense. They projected him to score about 115(!!) points this season, and since he had 10 goals and 12 assists in his first 14 games, that projection might not be too much of a stretch.

Sometimes when I see a beast like Fréchette, I'll float out a trade inquiry to see what his GM has to say. I was expecting to read that Nicholas was untouchable. When I instead saw that the Otters might be willing to make a deal involving him, I quickly put together an offer.

The next day, Nicholas Fréchette became a St. Michael's Major!

He's 19, stands 6'2", and weighs 192 pounds. The New York Islanders made him their #1 pick in the 2005 draft. He's described as a "dangerous playmaking centre," and I really like the sound of that. A native of Sherbrooke, Québec, Nicholas wears #4 on his sweater to honor his hero, Jean Béliveau. He'll immediately step in to center our #1 line, and he'll be a key member of both power plays.

We had to give the Otters Danny Cook, Sam Spencer, and a 10th round pick in the May 2007 draft. That's a steep price, as both Cook and Spencer have promise, but the chance to add a real boss to our squad was too good to pass up.

The Guelph Storm were disappointed with the play of defenceman Andrejs Grundmanis, so they were willing to part with him for $55,000 Canadian. We like Grundmanis better than the Storm did; I took a look at his attributes and his scouting reports, and I think he'll be a very good addition to our squad.

Grundmanis is a big (6'2", 194) 18-year-old blueliner with a heavy slapshot, and he's very fast and agile for his size. Andrejs hails from Daugavplis, Latvia, and he's already friends with his countryman, Juris Brencis. If Andrejs and Juris weren't both more comfortable on the left side, I might pair them together. Andrejs' defence-first style would blend well with Juris' tendency to carry the puck and join the rush.

With a record of 10-6-2, we're second in the conference, one point behind Oshawa. Jack McIntosh still leads the scoring race, with a 11-14-25 line.

Last edited by Big Six : 11-08-2013 at 01:08 PM.