Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #451
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Nicely done DeTox. There are few things more satisfying than parking one in The Show.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #452
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Nicely done DeTox. There are few things more satisfying than parking one in The Show.

Agreed. On the flip side, Justin Upton robbing two extra base hits sucks. Fuck him.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #453
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

After getting tired of playing for the Pirates and trying my hand as a batter for a month...I now remember how ridiculously difficult hitting was.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #454
SackAttack
Head Coach

I love the constant "get a ground ball out" when the first batter reaches first base in a one-run game.

Followed by "goal cancelled" when the game realizes the hitter is trying to bunt.

GOOD JOB GUYS.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #455
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dear manager: if I fail a "get six saves" goal because you fuckers only gave me five opportunities, what do you expect?

Bonus: this also applies when I have unrealistic "improve this attribute by X" goals riding shotgun. If you guys don't hand me the ball, I can't earn points, and if I don't earn points, I can't meet goals.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #456
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
First pitch I get in the bigs I jack for a 2 run bomb. Next AB, another HR. What's funny is I had 13 career HR in two years in the minors. The Reds must have had some left over steroids from the Adam Dunn days to give me.

Nicely done!

I started my time in the big leagues last night after looking forward to it all day. Started 3-3 as a pinch hitter but have slumped since but have come up with some big hits: a double off of Mariano Rivera with 2 outs in the 9'th and I scored the game-tying run and then I hit a game-tying two run homer against the first place Twins in the bottom of the ninth.

I'm the #11 third basemen in the MLB so I can't wait to break into the every day lineup. But I do have to say this, the stadiums look even more incredible this year. I've only seen, thus far, The Cell, the new Twins Stadium, and Fenway but wow. Definitely looking forward to seeing more.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #457
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Do you guys play on all-star? Do you alter the sliders at all? I find I'm having trouble with pitch speed this year.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #458
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do you guys play on all-star? Do you alter the sliders at all? I find I'm having trouble with pitch speed this year.

I'm on all star too and also have problems with fastballs this year, unlike past year, i'm hitting better the off speed and breaking pitches. I have pitch speed at -1 from default.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #459
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Here are my stats thru June.

71 at bats
28 strikeouts
.169 AVG
3 walks drawn
2 doubles
1 triple

I'm to the point where if I even make contact in a game I feel happy.

It's weird too, because last year I was ripping it up with my 3B. I even hit 31 HR one year in the bigs.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 03-19-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #460
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap am I a dork...

D'loaded the patch today while doing some other stuff. Still busy when it finished so I started up an all-CPU exhibition game between the Phillies and Red Sox. Now I am freaking into watching the game...

4-2 Phils in the 5th and I want to see how it ends...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #461
dervack
College Prospect

Sack, I've been having problems with the point deduction for not covering a base as well. And some ridiculous goals. I was a starter, gave up 6 hits over 7 innings. After the game, the change my role to MR. One of my goals. Give up 6 hits or less over the next 3 weeks. Great
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #462
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Here are my stats thru June.

71 at bats
28 strikeouts
.169 AVG
3 walks drawn
2 doubles
1 triple

I'm to the point where if I even make contact in a game I feel happy.

It's weird too, because last year I was ripping it up with my 3B. I even hit 31 HR one year in the bigs.

Maybe you should take try the next difficulty level down.

I have adjusted a few of the hitting sliders a bit to make hitting slightly easier, I'm still a sub .250 singles hitter in the big leagues with my RTTS guy who doesn't have good enough attributes to play in the big leagues (I got traded to the Padres who have one of the worst lineups in real life or video game history). And after reading a few suggestions on the OS boards I increased fielder reaction time but decreased fielder speed. But I haven't played much since then so I can't say if it's doing what it's meant to do, make some of those singles right down the line easier to get doubles out of.

Last edited by Big Fo : 03-19-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #463
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Maybe you should take try the next difficulty level down.

I have adjusted a few of the hitting sliders a bit to make hitting slightly easier, I'm still a sub .250 singles hitter in the big leagues with my RTTS guy who doesn't have good enough attributes to play in the big leagues (I got traded to the Padres who have one of the worst lineups in real life or video game history). And after reading a few suggestions on the OS boards I increased fielder reaction time but decreased fielder speed. But I haven't played much since then so I can't say if it's doing what it's meant to do, make some of those singles right down the line easier to get doubles out of.

Well...I dropped pitch speed to 2 notches under default, which I think is actually what I had it at last year. I'm a lot like Brian Roberts of the Orioles...quick, great fielding, doubles infielder...only I'm a SS. I started out on the Rays but got traded to the Padres AA team a week before the trading deadline. Since then I'm actually doing pretty well.

Oh also, I turned the PCI on (I had it on last year too) and my timing/patience for some reason has improved exponentially. When I was on the Rays my BA dropped to .154, but I've already gotten back up to just under .200 and I expect to finish the year around .215 (not bad considering where it was). I have 12 doubles and a good amount of RBI's too. I just wish I had a green light to steal...sigh
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #464
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ah.

I'm a big, lumbering first baseman so being traded to the Padres was a real downer with the huge ballpark and the lack of talent on the roster meaning there aren't as baserunners for me to drive in.

I've never tried messing with the pitch speed. I get so jumpy up there that half the time I'm pulling the fastballs too much, especially when I've guessed right.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #465
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Ah.

I'm a big, lumbering first baseman so being traded to the Padres was a real downer with the huge ballpark and the lack of talent on the roster meaning there aren't as baserunners for me to drive in.

I've never tried messing with the pitch speed. I get so jumpy up there that half the time I'm pulling the fastballs too much, especially when I've guessed right.

I get the same way when I guess right. I practically jump out of my seat when I hit the swing button, and half the time I either foul the ball off or miss it completely. It really is all about being both calm and patient at the plate.

I heart this game.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #466
Icy
Pro Starter

I never guess pitch, always saw it as a cheat, as in real life nobody tells you if your guess will be true or not before the pitch is thrown. How do you guys feel about it?

Of course i guess things and adjust to the ball i think is coming but just in my brain.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #467
TroyF
Coordinator

IRL, guys almost always guess the pitch. Most people guess fastball and adjust to anything else. Some guys with ridiculously quick reflexes do it the other way so they can stay on off speed stuff.

The problem in the game is that when you guess right you get the location too.

Me? I suck so bad at hitting, I do use the guess pitch thing and I still suck horribly. It is a cheat, but it doesn't exactly help me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #468
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
IRL, guys almost always guess the pitch. Most people guess fastball and adjust to anything else. Some guys with ridiculously quick reflexes do it the other way so they can stay on off speed stuff.

The problem in the game is that when you guess right you get the location too.

Me? I suck so bad at hitting, I do use the guess pitch thing and I still suck horribly. It is a cheat, but it doesn't exactly help me.

You don't get locaction also. At least not on whatever level I'm playing.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #469
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yep, rowech is right. The mode I play on is you get two guesses...one is location and one is pitch.

As far as IRL guessing, TroyF is dead on. Talk to any minor league kid and he'll tell you they're almost always looking for fastball and reacting to everything else.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #470
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I never guess pitch, always saw it as a cheat, as in real life nobody tells you if your guess will be true or not before the pitch is thrown. How do you guys feel about it?

Of course i guess things and adjust to the ball i think is coming but just in my brain.

You can use what I use, the "no feedback" guess option. If you are right you get the bonus but the game gives no indication if you are right or wrong. You have to recognize the pitch yourself and get the bat on it to capitalize on the bonus. With this option there is no guess pitch X, get no flash from the game, and then take the pitch knowing your guess was wrong. Instead like real life, you guess pitch X, have to recognize it is pitch X coming from the pitcher's hand, and then get the bat on the ball.

With this option I rarely guess unless I'm in a "fastball" count. About the only time I'll guess other than that is if through the course of the game the pitcher has stayed with a pattern of getting out the hitter IE thrown him away all game or K'd him the last two times up with sliders on the outer half etc.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #471
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Loving the game, but some things I'm seeing which are strange:

1) Less than 2 outs, hit and run and the batter grounds it to my 3B. I preload a throw to 2B just out of habit...but then quickly (before the ball gets to the 3B) remember the hit and run and just settle to throw to first. The problem is though, the animation of the player getting ready to fire to third had to suddenly switch to a new animation of a throw to 1st and now a ROUTINE play on a guy with average speed leads to everyone being safe. It looked really gross.

2) My CF cutoffs a ball in the LCF gap and I want to gun it to 2B to prevent the runner from trying to take an extra base. The ball simply heads towards the first baseman but ends up someplace in between 1st and 2B to which my 1B had to run over and catch it in midair. Overthrow you probably thinking? I think not as after looking at the replay both my SS and 2B (who should have covered the bag) went out to take the cutoff throw about 12 feet beyond the bag. Now, granted, I have Johnny Peralta playing 2B which isn't his natural position but do we really think the game is THAT in depth? There isn't an awareness rating that I am aware of.

3) This might have been scored right so I'm not sure this was a glitch, but a ground ball in front of the plate and my P runs up, grabs it and tosses it into right field. The play is ruled an error and the runner ends up on third. Eventually, the runner scores and the run counts as an earned run for my pitcher?!?! The only thing I can figure, if it's not a glitch, was that because the P himself committed the error it stands against his ERA?

4) Some line drives to my OF's are still just flying by them instead of being caught. Granted, it's only happened once but it sucks bad when it happens!

5) The ridiculous groundballs going through infielders gloves is so lame. I don't mind the hits because it balances out over the course of a game to be pretty realistic but it's just that there are so many of the "o-lay" plays from the infielders it seems. I just wish these were more realistic looking hits.

6) Every single HR has the batter holding his helmet as he rounds a base. I want to punch myself in the face every time.

With all of this said, it's still a great game it just sucks that this stuff has suddenly turned up in a game that was very close to perfect as far as gameplay before this year. I still consider 2010 better than 2009.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #472
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

My biggest pet peeve as a pitcher...

Watching one of my outfielders dive for a ball that you know has absolutely zero chance of being caught, and then the ball rolls another 75 feet back to the wall while the runner heads to third for a triple. Error? Hell no.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #473
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep, rowech is right. The mode I play on is you get two guesses...one is location and one is pitch.

As far as IRL guessing, TroyF is dead on. Talk to any minor league kid and he'll tell you they're almost always looking for fastball and reacting to everything else.

Of course, if you listen to Hank Aaron he'll say he looked breaking and off-speed first because he knew he could always catch up to he fast ball to at least foul it off.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #474
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Of course, if you listen to Hank Aaron he'll say he looked breaking and off-speed first because he knew he could always catch up to he fast ball to at least foul it off.

Sounds like the greenies talking if you ask me...
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #475
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Yup, certain guys with fast reflexes guess the other way. MOST of those types of guys are only really good for the handful of years they can do that. Kevin Mitchell used to look off speed first. I can't imagine the amount of reflexes it would take to do that, but there are others who have done it that way.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #476
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm the 3B starter for the White Sox in my first big league season (20 years old) and we're currently in first place in September but we're battling with the Twinkies. Would love to get to the playoffs.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #477
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I'm the 3B starter for the White Sox in my first big league season (20 years old) and we're currently in first place in September but we're battling with the Twinkies. Would love to get to the playoffs.

I started playing much better than I was before, but I'm still only hitting around .280 or so. I'm decent with runners in scoring position, and I'm starting to rack up SB's too. I've been traded a lot, but I'm hoping this time it sticks. I'm on the AAA affiliate of the Cubbies now.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #478
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

From the sounds of it, the "OS Full Minors" roster should be out in the next few days. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a fully comprehensive overhaul of every level of every team to exactly match its real life counterpart...player for player. The guys who do it even work with some pro scouts to make sure they get every part right.

Additionally, I've had a RTTS pitcher going for a little bit now. I was (very surprisingly) drafted by the Yankees.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 04-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #479
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
From the sounds of it, the "OS Full Minors" roster should be out in the next few days. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a fully comprehensive overhaul of every level of every team to exactly match its real life counterpart...player for player. The guys who do it even work with some pro scouts to make sure they get every part right.

Additionally, I've had a RTTS pitcher going for a little bit now. I was (very surprisingly) drafted by the Yankees.

They going to wait until opening day to create that final build of rosters?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #480
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Knight (the project lead) said it should be out by opening day, if not a couple days sooner.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #481
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I was traded to the Dodgers
Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #482
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
My biggest pet peeve as a pitcher...

Watching one of my outfielders dive for a ball that you know has absolutely zero chance of being caught, and then the ball rolls another 75 feet back to the wall while the runner heads to third for a triple. Error? Hell no.
The ole Sammy Sosa move.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #483
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Getting jacked up for the season, had to fire up game earlier. Time to get seriously into my RTTS career. I just wish my current team could freaking hit the ball. We're in first place in August but with about the worst offense in the league but the best pitching. I want to be able to watch my team hit when I am pitching but it is quite painful to watch (plus I have to throw a shutout to win it seems). We had 2 players that came through in the clutch for us all the time but they got promoted...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #484
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Had to have a conversation with my coach. Was perfect through 6 innings, allowed a base hit to the first batter in the 7th and got taken out, had only thrown 63 pitches up until that point. Then to make it worse I had to watch the reliever get shelled and that one runner that I allowed to score.

Here's how bad my team's offense it. In the last 3 starts I haave allowed a total of 2 runs but have no decisions to show for it. My team has scored a total of 3 runs in those 3 games.

I was surprised but the coach actually agreed with me and said he'll keep me in longer.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #485
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

My game keeps locking up on the cut-scenes when a player argues with an ump about a close call at first. Has froze up on that scene four times in a row now.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-04-2010 at 01:32 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #486
cougarfreak
College Starter

Can anyone post the exact instructions of d/l'ing a roster set from Operation Sports? I assume I put them on a flash drive, then plug it into the PS3........do they need to be extracted from a folder?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #487
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

OS rosters with full minors are out, it's franchise time.

Get them from Sportsconnect inside the game or here.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #488
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Can anyone post the exact instructions of d/l'ing a roster set from Operation Sports? I assume I put them on a flash drive, then plug it into the PS3........do they need to be extracted from a folder?

Just download them from the link and extract to the flash drive, it's already in the proper folders to be loaded easily once the flash drive is plugged into the PS3.

From the PS3 menu screen go to Game, then Saved Data Utility (PS3) and it should be right there.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #489
Icy
Pro Starter

Just started a Franchise with the Marlins and won the first game against the Mets that was really close and fun until this happened:

Fielding glitch on a soft hit to 1B, the 1B should field it himself but instead he just waits there for the 2B to field it and try the putout himself. This is the first time i record a video in the show, so it's a bit crappy but hope you can see the ball.

After that error, that should have ended the game with me losing 1-2, i hit a game winning HR with Ross that gave us the 3-2 win.

Besides that glitch, the game played really great and Santana had me against the ropes, this year i have found my perfect sliders set for All Star difficulty.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #490
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Well, in all fairness it was the Mets you were playing. I could see them doing that...
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #491
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I took a couple weeks off after being in a dreadful slump to start my first full year in the Majors (hitting .166 or something like that after 75 at bats). I came back to the game tonight and have caught fire for the White Sox. My stats, including the dreadful start are:

33 hits in 127 at bats, 8 doubles, 3 triples, 6 homers, 25 RBIs, 14 runs scored, .260 average

I'm the 5'th ranked third baseman in the league at 21 years old. We're currently 22-16 with a half game lead over the Twinkies.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #492
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Frustrating stretch near the end of my first season with NO run support (sad but that is almost literal).

My last 8 games (since the all-star break):

2-2
52.1 IP
39 H
8 R
7 ER
10 BB
48 K

1.20 ERA

Only once did I allow more than 1 run in a start (allowed 2 runs). Have not allowed more than one earned run in a start since the break. Basically I have to throw a shutout and hope we can actually score in order to win.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #493
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, I think my team's manager monitors FOFC and didn't like that I complained about the team. Right after posting that I went to go to what I thought would be my next start and I got put in the bullpen. I tried to talk to the manager and got that I can woprk my way into the rotation but may not be ready yet.

What?

I was the all-star starter. Have been starting since April. Lead the league in strikeouts, 3rd in innings pitched, 2nd in ERA and lead the league in WHIP. Exactly what is he smoking?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #494
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm at the All-Star Break of my first full season in the bigs (21 years old still). I'm the #1 ranked third basemen in the league, although I didn't make the All-Star Game. The White Sox have a three game lead. My stats:

.290 average, 14 homers, 51 RBIs, 25 doubles and an OPS around .860 (my on-base percentage is only a handful of points higher than my average since I'm not picky)

My goal is to post .300/30/100. If I can do that, I'll consider this season a HUGE success. Oh, yeah, and make the playoffs.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #495
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My RTTS pitcher has a 4seam fastball velocity rating of 99. The game says i should be throwing 99-101mph. I max out at 90. WTF.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #496
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I give up 4 runs in the first inning. Dumb motherfucker SS makes an error and then I give up a bomb. I then pitch 4 shutout innings, and I'm at a total of 70ish pitches, 5 innings, and 1 earned run. And I get pulled? I play for the Royals AA team, so the DH is in play. I can see getting hooked if I get in trouble, but it makes no sense to pull me in that situation with such a low pitch count.

Last edited by stevew : 04-18-2010 at 01:21 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #497
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My RTTS pitcher has a 4seam fastball velocity rating of 99. The game says i should be throwing 99-101mph. I max out at 90. WTF.

Glad that's not just happening to me. Saw my scouting report pregame show my fastball as in the 95-97 range but I am lucky to hit 91 once in a while.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #498
Icy
Pro Starter

It's a known bug guys:

Quote:
RTTS FB problem with pitchers
a lot of people have been having problems with their 4SFB not hitting the velocities it should be in road to the show. The scouting report may have the fastball's velocity at 95-100 MPH but it will only hit speeds around 88-90.

I starting having this problem myself with 3 different starting RTTS pitchers. Then me and nuckles2k2 did some brainstorming, you see he was not having this problem. So we thought it out and found 2 things that worked after extensive testing.

The 1st part of the workaround is to not choose either of these 3 pitches as one of your initial 3: Curveball(12-6 is ok)Changeup and Palmball. This made a difference right away for us, it seems to be ok if you add any of these 3 pitches after you build up your original 3.

Now this 2nd part is very important. You must build the velocity rating of each pitch evenly, because if you build up you 4SFB velocity rating to 99 and have you other pitches anywhere more than 10 points lower than your fastball then it will not hit the speeds you want.

Full thread, 1st post has all the upadted info:

RTTS Pitching Velocity Problem (Solved) - Operation Sports Forums

Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #499
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dear Sony:

Why did I get dinged -10 points for not covering the base in a two out appearance during which I struck out both of the batters I faced?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #500
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Sack. This doesn't happen to me man...ever. I know it's been an ongoing thing for you, but I'm not really sure why.