Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Landshark44
High School Varsity

My Dog has to go....

I've got a 3yr old lab/husky with a dark side. He's the best dog in the world 90% of the time. Walks by my side without a leash, doesn't chase things, doesn't bark. Perfect.....

My wife loves him more than I do, but on a few occasions we've observed him being aggressive with our children. Last night he decided he was going to fight our nine year old over a hot dog, and growled at my wife, (bearing his teeth) when she came to his rescue. I was at work.

So, he needs to go. She wants me to find him someplace nice. Any suggestions? Should I take him to the local animal shelter? Not sure what to do, and any help would be appreciated.....

Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well...I've had to give up a cat after we couldn't stop it from peeing on our bed every chance it got. There are a decent amount of animal shelters that have no-kill policies, so that's probably the best route to go. I'd look up all the ones in the area and see which one you feel would be best for this pooch.

Just to be sure, are you absolutely positive this isn't something that could be cured with training?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd recommend trying to privately place him if its safe to keep him at home a little longer, when we were doing kitten rescue we found that craigslist was a consistent winner for finding them homes ....

If he was child friendly then you'd probably have had a sale here as my wife is a sucker for animals (7 cats, 3 dogs, 1 pig and 2 goats at present) ... but unfortunately we've 3 kids.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-05-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Seems like an odd request...finding a nice home for a big, aggressive dog.

Sorry, but it sounds like "Dog attacks..." headline waiting to happen.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Just to be sure, are you absolutely positive this isn't something that could be cured with training?

Every person that has ever met this dog, will say it's remarkably trained. I have spent a lot of time with him, and he listens to everything I say....

This seems to be something different. The dog doesn't like to compete with the children for my wifes' attention. If he is laying with her, and the kids come near... he seems annoyed....

very protective of his food and bones, as well. if the children or our other dog (9 yr old beagle) walk by. he gets annoyed....

He doesn't do any of that when I'm around....

Last edited by Landshark44 : 07-05-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Ever watch 'Old Yeller'?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI.......I've been in your position, Landshark. It's perfectly normal to have a dog who becomes jealous of other dogs or children in the home. It's also a situation that has to be dealt with.

We had a dog that was 6 years old when our first daughter was born. He wasn't terribly jealous at first, but he showed more aggressive tendencies as she began to crawl. It all came to a head when my daughter reached for one of his toys and he bit her on the hand right around her first birthday. She ended up in the hospital for three days with an infection (thankfully, no structural damage).

It worked out well in the end. My wife's mother had just passed away, so my father-in-law was looking for companionship and our dog was a well-trained dog who is very loyal and affectionate. He's now 10 years old and happily eating my father-in-law's leftovers on a nightly basis.

You're correct that he needs to be removed from the family. I'd suggest checking around in some of the smaller communities in NJ where people have some land or checking with some places that have elderly people who would love a loyal dog. He'll be able to thrive in a situation where he's not competing for attention. The dog will be much happier in the end.

We now have a 1 year old Saint Bernard (we picked that breed because they are ranked one of the best dogs with kids). My daughters love the dog and she's as gentle as they come. There's nothing inherently wrong with your dog. He's acting on instinct. With that said, you don't want your kids in the situation my daughter was in. I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

Best of luck. It'll work out fine.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-05-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Sounds like he should be a piece of cake to place with a couple w/o kids (or other dogs).

However, this is a classic case of training, but not completely.

Clearly you've done a great job training him and making him understand his relationship vis-a-vis you. He knows you're the alpha dog and that's why he doesn't do any of this stuff when you're around.

Problem is, when you're not around he's clearly confused about what his role in the pecking order is. And where there's a vacuum, in his mind, he's going to try to fill it by making himself the alpha dog in your absence.

A good trainer could probably resolve this by working with the dog in tandem with you and your whole family. The dog has to realize that he's subordinate to every human in the household. When he does, he'll a) be a lot happier and b) not exhibit these tendencies.

FWIW, we made sure to do this with our Rott-mix when our son was born (now turning two). Bear already knew he was subordinate to both my wife & I, and so a little training once Sam started moving around was all it took to let Bear know that he was also subordinate to Sam (though he knows he's allowed to bark and make a run for it if Sam starts hitting him or something).

But yeah, if that's all going to be too much, a childless couple would have an awesome dog if you had to give him away.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
A good trainer could probably resolve this by working with the dog in tandem with you and your whole family. The dog has to realize that he's subordinate to every human in the household. When he does, he'll a) be a lot happier and b) not exhibit these tendencies.

Rather than say that, I'd say a good trainer might resolve the issue. Some dogs can't overcome that issue and it's a dangerous game to play. I think the safety of the kids has to supersede the need to reform the dog.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
miked
College Starter

There are a lot of details missing. Was this dog ever formally trained? Just because he's obedient and stays by your side doesn't mean he's trained. How long have you had him? Do you have a yard where he can get exercise (you have a high energy mix)? Seems to me the dog needs some training and has some food guarding issues. Also, from the lack of detail in your post it sounds like you just want the easy way out. Unless you can place him with somebody you know, seems like you already know the answer.

The best solution would be for you to find a good trainer and actually work on these rather common, usually fairly simple issues.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Has to go seems to be a drastic first step. Has to be trained would be more appropriate. If the dog has been allowed to believe he is in charge, he will act like he is in charge. That sounds like what he did.

If you aren't willing to put the time required into correcting the behavior, then placing him somewhere else is probably best. Years of dog ownership has shown me that most dog behavior problems are actually owner deficiencies. Well years of dog ownership and about a season's worth of Dog Whisperer episodes.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Ever watch 'Old Yeller'?

Not the thread for jokes like these mate
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
There are a lot of details missing. Was this dog ever formally trained? Just because he's obedient and stays by your side doesn't mean he's trained. How long have you had him? Do you have a yard where he can get exercise (you have a high energy mix)? Seems to me the dog needs some training and has some food guarding issues. Also, from the lack of detail in your post it sounds like you just want the easy way out. Unless you can place him with somebody you know, seems like you already know the answer.

The best solution would be for you to find a good trainer and actually work on these rather common, usually fairly simple issues.

I live on the beach in New Jersey. I take him for 1 hour walks, almost every day. He's obedient, and I have trained him very well. He's good around other dogs, comes when i call him. sits, stays, doesn't rip up furniture or go through the trash. I can even ride a bike and he will run along side it. He can be loose in our unfenced front yard, and will not stray from our property lines. He won't chase other dogs, pussycats, or bother people walking in front of our house.

I'm not sure if thats what you consider "trained", but as I stated, everyone that has met him comments that he is very well behaved.

I'm not trying to take an easy way out at all, but he bit my 9 yr old, and it's not the first time he has shown aggressive tendencies.....So, what would you suggest.?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

I totally disagree with this. I love dogs as much as anyone but it only takes one instant for the dog to scar the kid for life, and you can't watch your kids 24-7.

The best solution is to find the dog a home without children.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The best solution is to find the dog a home without children.

Agreed ....

For next time though the preventative measure is to simply have a cat .... a far superior pet all around

(runs off giggling)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-05-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Look at him. Totally Cool Dog. He just don't like my kids...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If you can't find any other solutions, my grandmother is VERY involved with a network of people who find pets new homes. She lives just a few miles from Atlantic City.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

Someone said it well earlier. When you're not around he feels HE is teh alpha and everyone else should submit to him. You, the wife and the kids need to work together with the dog and this will go away.

Once the dog understands his place in the pecking order, and I mean really understands it, this issue goes away on its own.

I had this issue with Max at first, he understood *I* was the alpha, but he was nippy with the wife and kids. Some stern voice commands and training against these actions has taken care of that issue. He's a great dog now.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Someone said it well earlier. When you're not around he feels HE is teh alpha and everyone else should submit to him. You, the wife and the kids need to work together with the dog and this will go away.

Once the dog understands his place in the pecking order, and I mean really understands it, this issue goes away on its own.

I had this issue with Max at first, he understood *I* was the alpha, but he was nippy with the wife and kids. Some stern voice commands and training against these actions has taken care of that issue. He's a great dog now.

Yeah...he even listens to my dumb ass.....
Old 07-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #20
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I don't really understand you guys that suggest that this MIGHT be corrected with training. Do you have kids?

If there is even a chance he will attack my kids, and there is.....

How can I keep him? I considered yesterdays incident a warning, a red flag. I'm not comfortable, just hoping it doesn't happen again....
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Not the thread for jokes like these mate

It wasn't a joke.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Trade the kids in. Less of a hassle in the long term.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In all seriousness, though, I am with you Landshark. Sad as it is, you're going to need to move the pup.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #24
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
I don't really understand you guys that suggest that this MIGHT be corrected with training. Do you have kids?

How can I keep him? I considered yesterdays incident a warning, a red flag. I'm not comfortable, just hoping it doesn't happen again....

Probably not a popular opinion among dog lovers, but if he bit your kid why would you risk him biting any other kid...or person for that matter?

Say you do find a "nice home" for him but 2 months down the road you read about a dog biting incident that landed a kid in the hospital and the dog responsible is the one you gave away...full well knowing that he had aggressive tendencies? How would that make you feel?

Sure, the new owners would be responsible as I would hope you'd disclose why you are ridding yourself of the dog...but I'm guessing you'd still feel like shit, no?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Probably not a popular opinion among dog lovers, but if he bit your kid why would you risk him biting any other kid...or person for that matter?

Say you do find a "nice home" for him but 2 months down the road you read about a dog biting incident that landed a kid in the hospital and the dog responsible is the one you gave away...full well knowing that he had aggressive tendencies? How would that make you feel?

Sure, the new owners would be responsible as I would hope you'd disclose why you are ridding yourself of the dog...but I'm guessing you'd still feel like shit, no?

I wouldn't. If you give full disclosure and they agree to take him on, what follows is on them.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post

If he goes through the correct channels the dog won't be placed with a child. From what it sounds like the dog has jealousy issues regarding the kid, so he would be no danger to responsible owners. Not sure if you are a dog owner or not, but the relationship a dog has with a child is very different than the one it has with an adult.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If you can't find any other solutions, my grandmother is VERY involved with a network of people who find pets new homes. She lives just a few miles from Atlantic City.

I'd check out this option, Landshark. Given that he's well behaved outside of the jealousy issues, I'm sure a responsible group would have no problems at all finding him a good home. This dog can be easily placed.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'd check out this option, Landshark. Given that he's well behaved outside of the jealousy issues, I'm sure a responsible group would have no problems at all finding him a good home. This dog can be easily placed.

I was thinking the same thing. This dog will be fine just about anywhere....I've found him to be friendly with children. He just has this battle going on in my house with our kids for my wifes' attention. (which she gives him plenty of)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Sounds like he should be a piece of cake to place with a couple w/o kids (or other dogs).

However, this is a classic case of training, but not completely.

Clearly you've done a great job training him and making him understand his relationship vis-a-vis you. He knows you're the alpha dog and that's why he doesn't do any of this stuff when you're around.

Problem is, when you're not around he's clearly confused about what his role in the pecking order is. And where there's a vacuum, in his mind, he's going to try to fill it by making himself the alpha dog in your absence.

FWIW, we made sure to do this with our Rott-mix when our son was born (now turning two). Bear already knew he was subordinate to both my wife & I, and so a little training once Sam started moving around was all it took to let Bear know that he was also subordinate to Sam (though he knows he's allowed to bark and make a run for it if Sam starts hitting him or something).

But yeah, if that's all going to be too much, a childless couple would have an awesome dog if you had to give him away.

Exactly. This can usually be trained out of a dog. I saw a show where Cesar Milan did it. Making sure the dog knows that even the baby and the kids are above it in the "pack."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. This dog will be fine just about anywhere....I've found him to be friendly with children. He just has this battle going on in my house with our kids for my wifes' attention. (which she gives him plenty of)

I'll ask my grandmother about him.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #31
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'll ask my grandmother about him.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

Even the most well-trained dogs can get out of control when it comes to food. Is this only around food or just in random situations?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thank you.

Turns out my aunt wants a dog, but she wants a female dog.

My grandmother says this is actually a fairly common issue with dogs that have husky blood and they get very jealous of their food and toys. She is going to call her friends and see what she can do. She figures she'll probably be able to find a home for him within a few days at the most, if you are interested still.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-05-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

She is going to be looking to place him in a home with no children by the way, just to be safe.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-05-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #35
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Even the most well-trained dogs can get out of control when it comes to food. Is this only around food or just in random situations?

Random situations when I'm not around. She will be petting him, and one of the kids will walk by. He'll growl a little, and she'll correct him. We've tried to convince him that the kids are above him in the pack, buy he doesn't believe it when I'm not around..::
Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #36
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Turns out my aunt wants a dog, but she wants a female dog.

My grandmother says this is actually a fairly common issue with dogs that have husky blood and they get very jealous of their food and toys. She is going to call her friends and see what she can do. She figures she'll probably be able to find a home for him within a few days at the most, if you are interested still.

sounds good. If she would like to meet him first, I would be happy to meet her someplace on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm tied up tomorrow....
Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Not true. You could put a plate of food on the floor around our old golden and unless you told him it was his he wouldn't touch it.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Grandmother just called and so far her best placement options are concerned about the severity of the bite on your child. A few of them are saying Husky's are among their more difficulty breeds to place. She's continuing to work the network.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Maybe I am wrong but I got the impression the dog never actually bit the child.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Two small punctures on the hand he held up to keep the dog away from him. Scratch on his abdomen. I've never seen the dog attack anything before, but once is enough for me. I've seen him growl before, but always thought it was for show....

Last edited by Landshark44 : 07-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I thought I read he had bit and caused an infection.. was I confused about that?

Anyway, I have a strong possibility for you. Well, my grandmother made the contact. You should call Judge Henry Broome. He takes in dogs that have a history of any violence and has his own network of people as well. He'll be very helpful in placement if he doesn't take it. You can call him at his office (609) 645-3100. You can mention you are a friend of the Levin family if needed.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-05-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

EF27 is the nuts...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Not true. You could put a plate of food on the floor around our old golden and unless you told him it was his he wouldn't touch it.
Some don't. But I'm just saying that I've seen dogs who are 99.9% perfect except in a rare instance where you grab their food or something from them. No matter how well trained a dog is, I never mess with them and their food without taking precautions.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #44
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
I thought I read he had bit and caused an infection.. was I confused about that?

Anyway, I have a strong possibility for you. Well, my grandmother made the contact. You should call Judge Henry Broome. He takes in dogs that have a history of any violence and has his own network of people as well. He'll be very helpful in placement if he doesn't take it. You can call him at his office (609) 645-3100. You can mention you are a friend of the Levin family if needed.

no bite with infection. (that was Mizzou)

Cool, thank you. I will make contact with him on Wednesday or Thursday if I don't find someone to take him. He is very popular around the neighborhood and it's possible someone could step up....

Last edited by Landshark44 : 07-05-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #45
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
no bite with infection. (that was Mizzou)

Cool, thank you. I will make contact with him on Wednesday or Thursday if I don't find someone to take him. He is very popular around the neighborhood and it's possible someone could step up....

Would keeping him in the neighborhood be a risk for your kid? I would assume your kid will still recognize him and try to play with him which I would worry could lead to more biting.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #46
Landshark44
High School Varsity

No, he's cool when they're playing.....

he just gets weird when my wife is around. He don't want the kids to take away from any attention he may be getting from her...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #47
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Look at him. Totally Cool Dog. He just don't like my kids...

If it wasn't for the kid thing I would gladly offer to take him (we are pretty close geographically) but I have a 9 and 6 year old.

Though if it wasn't for the kid thing you wouldn't be in thie position so I guess that doesn't help much.

I also had a friend that was looking for a dog but he also has kids aroun that same age.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #48
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Got kids, and got dogs. A big ass giant dog in fact. OK not giant, he's only about 85 lbs, but he doesn't have to raise his head to eyeball a plate at the dinner table.

My take on your dog. He thinks he's in charge or at least higher in the pecking order than the wife and kid. It doesn't take much to correct. Grab his neck, and pin him bodily to the ground. Let the whole family participate in the affair. He'll get the message. If he takes an aggressive stance toward someone in the future, repeat the procedure. Note: Aggressive stance is less than a growl or the barring of teeth. It is about the dog's body language.

I won't say that I/we have perfect control over the big dog, as he occasionally has social problems with other dogs. We have successfully communicated to him where he stands with the family, so no aggression there.

I'm thinking that with your walking and training that you've done so far, you are way more than half way to where you need to be. That said, it is your call. You are closest to the situation, and obviously in possession of the facts. I'm just throwing it out there, that what you've described above sounds more like a typical dog that needs some training than an irreversibly aggressive animal that needs to be removed from the home.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 07-06-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #49
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If he goes through the correct channels the dog won't be placed with a child. From what it sounds like the dog has jealousy issues regarding the kid, so he would be no danger to responsible owners. Not sure if you are a dog owner or not, but the relationship a dog has with a child is very different than the one it has with an adult.

Grew up with dogs including a Siberian Husky for about 5 years. My wife is allergic to dogs and cats so my dog days are done. Oh well.

Our husky wasn't the best behaved dog on the block but she never got aggressive with us. She did nip at the odd passerby during walks, though. If you weren't firm with the leash I'd hate to think what she would've done to any number of kids (kids were always drawn to her because her eyes were two different colours). It wouldn't happen very often but it would've only taken one incident to make sure it wouldn't ever happen again...if you catch my drift.

Point being, the dog might be placed with a couple sans children but that doesn't mean the dog won't ever be exposed to kids.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #50
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
My take on your dog. He thinks he's in charge or at least higher in the pecking order than the wife and kid. It doesn't take much to correct. Grab his neck, and pin him bodily to the ground. Let the whole family participate in the affair. He'll get the message. If he takes an aggressive stance toward someone in the future, repeat the procedure. Note: Aggressive stance is less than a growl or the barring of teeth. It is about the dog's body language.

This is horrible advice, the internets strike again!