Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
finkellll
n00b

Pulling route info from game logs

I'm looking to dig into some bar vs. stat info (testing if GD actually gives more YPC on a 2 route for example) but I haven't been able to figure out how to pull info from game logs in a reasonable way. If someone can point me to a starting point or a method I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to pull: route, catch?, yards, yac. I'm not worried about pulling defense info (yet) but I know it might be fun to explore in the future.

finkellll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
tzach
High School JV

we discussed a lot in private and i'm posting here for the benefit of the community.

the first step would be to write a computer code that parses the info you want from the logs in a logical way, so you can save it in a database. then you need something that produces statistics for the different plays, and you have to come up with then.

that's easier said then done. it took me a substantial amount of time to produce this piece of code. as you saw when I parsed your logs, the code will encounter bugs which is why it's one thing to produce something that works for me, another thing to produce a software package that's user proof. and we are not even talking about providing user support, which is not feasible in this model but users will be expecting nonetheless.

so big shoutout here to greg stelmack for producing tools that others could use such as draft analyzer and player tracker.

in my case i wrote my code using software and code that I also use for my work, which are proprietary. that may sound dumb in retrospect, but it was the quickest way for me to get the job done, as i never intended to produce a software package for others to use. using proprietary software means that i cannot easily share my code.

if i were to redo this now, i'd use javascript and make an online tool where people can upload their logs and get the output in csv form. unfortunately i don't have the time anymore to do this.

Last edited by tzach : 09-22-2020 at 03:16 AM.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote