Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Table Tennis/Air Hockey Advice

So, for Christmas we were thinking of getting the kids a combination table tennis/air hockey table. My concern is, anytime you buy a combo anything, it's more than likely a piece of garbage. For what it's worth, here's what we're looking at:

EastPoint Sports 80" NHL Hover Hockey with Table Tennis Top: Game Room : Walmart.com

My kids are boy, turning 15 and girl, 12.

I'm thinking a single game table (either air hockey OR table tennis) probably makes more sense, especially since a table tennis table you can typically fold in half for storage (space for the table probably won't be a problem, but it's always nice to be able to put away something if it's being ignored). My #1 concern is - table is bought, it's a piece of crap, generally ignored (I could have spent that money on buffalo wings and beer), and sold for $20 at a garage sale.

Anyone have one of these tables, experienced this, or have any advice?

Thanks!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Not sure about the air hockey side, but for a Ping pong table you really want a good solid table.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but agree with the general thought that the combo units are a dice roll. Better to go with one or the other, as you suggest.

I'd go ping pong. It has a much longer shelf life and is something that could be played by different skill levels, and if your kids get really good, they can keep playing forever. Air hockey I think of as much more of a novelty...fun for a quick game in a bar or at a D&B type place, but very rarely.

Going through high school and then when I was back home during college, we'd always hang out at one friend's house and play ping pong before heading out. Got very competitive. Plus your kids will have an awesome beer pong table down the road, if that isn't something that bothers you...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Thanks, guys. Yes, I have heard there are different thicknesses to ping pong tables and will be certain to check it out. I think we've finalized on a ping pong only table now - will make the search much easier.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Alf
Pro Starter

Boy will be play Table beer soon Or Beer Pong whatever is it called overseas.