Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I am curious how FXX's all-day ratings compare to Fox Soccer.

Triple, according to the reference made in this AdWeek article earlier this week.

Granted, 58k average all-day is about 1/10th of what the 15th-20th place cable networks get but tripled is still tripled.

Quote:
I know that Fox Sports One is still drawing worse numbers than Speed was drawing.

About 25% worse in primetime, and even more disturbing for them perhaps, ESPN is actually up in audience over last year. They may have driven people AWAY and right into the arms of the dragon they wanted to slay.

FS1 seems poised to become one of the bigger "Doh !" moments in TV in recent memory.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #202
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Until I popped into this thread, I had forgotten that FS1 even existed. I was vaguely aware of it when it first launched, but it quickly and completely dropped from my conscience. Then again, I don't watch ESPN outside of college football games or Monday night football, so I'm not the target audience.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #203
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Triple, according to the reference made in this AdWeek article earlier this week.

Granted, 58k average all-day is about 1/10th of what the 15th-20th place cable networks get but tripled is still tripled.
Considering how often I'm told soccer is challenging for the second-most popular sport in America, I'm stunned. Then again, WNBA games on ESPN outdraw MLS games on NBCS, so that sounds about right.
Quote:
About 25% worse in primetime, and even more disturbing for them perhaps, ESPN is actually up in audience over last year. They may have driven people AWAY and right into the arms of the dragon they wanted to slay.

FS1 seems poised to become one of the bigger "Doh !" moments in TV in recent memory.
It's stunning how people avoid FS1 like the plague. Unless your team is playing on FS1, it's so out sight, out of mind that it's amazing. Their strategy was, bizarrely enough, to be the "anti-SportsCenter." They wanted to be the opposite of the most viewed sports news program on TV. And they are. If you want highlights, watch SportsCenter. If you want to know what Andy Roddick thinks about the Tigers bullpen, FS1 is all yours.

Granted, ESPN went after FS1 hard. They've increase their NFL coverage, weeded out some lower-rated programming, increased live sports and then brought in Olbermann to create the SportsCenter alternative that's better than the FS1 SC alternative. I'm putting 75% of FS1's failure on Fox and 25% on ESPN just beating them.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #204
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Hilarious poll over TV By the Numbers:

How Many Hours Until NBC Announces That ‘Community’ Is Replacing ‘Welcome To The Family’? (Poll) - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

If NBC lets Welcome to the Family air another episode, the ratings will be historic. For all the gains NBC is making, Thursday night is shaping up to an epic FoxSports One-esque disaster.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #205
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Considering how often I'm told soccer is challenging for the second-most popular sport in America, I'm stunned.

If you'd said fourth of fifth most popular sport in America, I'd buy it. Who is telling you that Soccer is challenging NBA/MLB/NASCAR?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #206
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They're not taking down ESPN, at least not right away. If that is what they are aiming for they are idiots. There are so many sports networks now, they need to create their own audience and build from there.

NBC Sports orchestrated a perfect strike to them by signing the EPL contract. If they could have come out with an EPL contract and UFC contract that could have carried them and help them build.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #207
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If you'd said fourth of fifth most popular sport in America, I'd buy it. Who is telling you that Soccer is challenging NBA/MLB/NASCAR?
Seems like every hipster I know. Lot of people in KC argue Sporting KC is Kansas City's second most popular team behind the Chiefs because they sellout their 20,000-seat stadium and on occasion outdraw the Royals head to head. That ignores the fact the Royals play four times more games, tickets are more than twice as expensive and the Royals crush SKC in TV ratings. But soccer fans are delusional.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #208
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Until I popped into this thread, I had forgotten that FS1 even existed. I was vaguely aware of it when it first launched, but it quickly and completely dropped from my conscience. Then again, I don't watch ESPN outside of college football games or Monday night football, so I'm not the target audience.

Am I the only one who pretty much only watches sports networks for, you know, sports? I don't care about PTI or pregame shows or sports radio on tv. Maybe I'm an exception, I don't know. If I want to step outside of live sports, I'm much more inclined to read the stories at grantland than watch people pontificate in antagonistic ways on the sports networks.

If FS1 doesn't have live events I'm interested in watching, I'm not watching it. It is that simple. Beyond the Champions League and some World Cup qualifiers, I don't know what rights they hold.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #209
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Am I the only one who pretty much only watches sports networks for, you know, sports? I don't care about PTI or pregame shows or sports radio on tv. Maybe I'm an exception, I don't know. If I want to step outside of live sports, I'm much more inclined to read the stories at grantland than watch people pontificate in antagonistic ways on the sports networks.

If FS1 doesn't have live events I'm interested in watching, I'm not watching it. It is that simple. Beyond the Champions League and some World Cup qualifiers, I don't know what rights they hold.

I will watch stuff after the NCAA selection show just to decide on my bracket, but since NFL Primetime went away- I dunno- what 5 years ago- I'm in the same boat. If it's not live sports, I'm not watching. I don't need to see some bloviating ass show us just how much of a bloviating ass he is.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #210
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Same here.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #211
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I will watch stuff after the NCAA selection show just to decide on my bracket, but since NFL Primetime went away- I dunno- what 5 years ago- I'm in the same boat. If it's not live sports, I'm not watching. I don't need to see some bloviating ass show us just how much of a bloviating ass he is.

SI

Co-signed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #212
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
They're not taking down ESPN, at least not right away. If that is what they are aiming for they are idiots.

Their own quote from the top was (paraphrasing but not on the key point)
"we know it won't happen overnight, it will take 2 or 3 years"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-11-2013 at 05:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I the only one who pretty much only watches sports networks for, you know, sports?

Hell, it's not just the sports networks.

3 SUNDAY NIGHT NFL PRE-KICK NBC 5.2 6,609
4 Big Bang Theory, THE CBS 5.2 6,584

Third most watched show (behind CBS & NBC games) on broadcast last week was the pre-game show on NBC.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #214
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hell, it's not just the sports networks.

3 SUNDAY NIGHT NFL PRE-KICK NBC 5.2 6,609
4 Big Bang Theory, THE CBS 5.2 6,584

Third most watched show (behind CBS & NBC games) on broadcast last week was the pre-game show on NBC.

People are sheep. WTF do you need a pregame show before a game for?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #215
cuervo72
Head Coach

I tune into the SNF pregame when I can to get a rundown/highlights of the day's games (which I would still be doing with the aforementioned Primetime had it not been yanked off the air).
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #216
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola: baaaaaaa.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #217
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I tune into the SNF pregame when I can to get a rundown/highlights of the day's games (which I would still be doing with the aforementioned Primetime had it not been yanked off the air).

If Berman and Jackson were still doing their thing, I would still be watching it. However, instead I've watched maybe 15 minutes of NFL this season.

SI

Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #218
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I want to know who thought Ironside was a good idea.

UPDATE: NBC Cancels 'Welcome To The Family' & 'Ironside', Gives 'Sean Saves The World' Script Order, Sets Premiere Dates For 'Community' & 'Chicago PD' - Deadline.com
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #219
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok -- I have this idea -- courtroom drama, about a defense attourney who never loses...
Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #220
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ouch: NBC Has Quietly Put Parks and Rec on Hiatus -- Vulture
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #221
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The two week run of the Voice would be the perfect opportunity for NBC to switch up Sean and MJF, but doesn't look like that's happening.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #222
rowech
Pro Starter

Am I the only person who thinks they have absolutely destroyed "New Girl?" Every week the episode is the same as the previous one. The show is totally stale.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #223
chadritt
High School Varsity

but....but
Spoiler

Last edited by chadritt : 10-23-2013 at 06:58 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #224
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Am I the only person who thinks they have absolutely destroyed "New Girl?" Every week the episode is the same as the previous one. The show is totally stale.

I don't despise it like I did the first couple weeks (I ranted a little here about how much I truly hated the Schmidt arc w/ the two women), but it still feels significantly down from season 2.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #225
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Evidently not wholly accurate.

Quote:
@mradamscott Parks&Rec fans don't worry, that Vulture article is misleading--we are not on "hiatus" at all..."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #226
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I dunno. The AV Club seems to love it, mostly. I thought the first few eps were poor, but "The Captain" was one of the funniest half hours of TV I have ever seen.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #227
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it was just a way for them to hype something as M18-34 (ala Spike) and maybe move FX a little more Adults or even Female skewing.

The ratings for the 2 main shows premiered at roughly the same level they got on FX previously, so it didn't do a lot of harm to those shows. And the audience was roughly 10x what they were getting with the soccer, so that's also a win for them.

As for whether the network is actually relevant, that's a different question. It's still stuck in premium sports packages in some (many?) markets & so that isn't helping matters at all.
That makes sense they're essentially using it as a loss leader if even Mad About You reruns can beat their previous soccer ratings (I do question your idea that a split could make FXX M18-34 heavy - when your channel is known for The Shield, Justified, AHS, I guess Nip/Tuck I'd say most of those fall into that category already, and they really did split it down comedy/drama lines.)

Nice to see that Always Sunny/The League/hopefully Louie and Archer have enough of a built-in audience that they're in no danger of cancellation, but this article highlights how hard it is for a new show to gain any traction and following. At least the head FX honchos have a fairly good track record regarding low-rated shows (Terriers aside), and acknowledge the need for patience.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #228
RainMaker
General Manager

The strategy seems to be create a cable channel, put a couple shows people will want to watch on it, then add shit filler. You'll have enough people angry about not seeing the show that they'll call cable companies demanding the channel. It's sad to see because cable TV is getting so diluted. Instead of 300 channels with 2 hours of original programming a day, I'd rather it be 100 channels with 6 or so.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #229
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm pretty cynical but not quite cynical enough to go that far. Granted, Fox has a history of starting cable channels before they have enough content to support them. The list of those failures is long and distinguished.

In the FXX case, I think it was a case that they reached a point where they enough content that FX found itself with enough programming that FX no longer had room for some of their syndicated packages they owned and were squeezing out their original programming. But instead of waiting until they have enough programming to launch a real channel, they go about a year too early.

A big part of that is pure business. It's too expensive to develop a full slate of original programming for a new channel, and usually you need familiar programming to lure in new viewers to give it a try.

I'm perplexed because FXX proclaims itself as going after men 18-34, then airs Mad About You reruns.

NBCU is pretty much doing the same thing with Esquire Network. They've pitched the network as going for young, upscale male viewers and then airs Sex and the City.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #230
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm about a third of the way in, but I'm really liking the new Bill Cosby special on Comedy Central.

SI