Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #201
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdub2 View Post
I really dont think the new FOF9 interface is much more difficult than OOTPs. I dont understand where all the complaints for FOF9 come from when OOTPs UI is just as dense and click-demanding but its praised as a shining example of good sports sim UI...

The average person under the age of 40 is not interacting with anything that looks remotely like FOF 9, be it the interface or the design. That's the miss, IMO. Add in the modern attention span, and this is why we're seeing negative reviews. It's unfortunate, but it should not be surprising.

The game is good, even without MP, but I'm 44 and have played the game for close to 25 years. Most new people to the series won't give it a chance, and certainly not many in a younger demographic (although that could be said about most sport sims today, I would imagine).

To use an example that a lot of us are probably familiar with outside of sports sims...look at TurboTax. Taxes suck, are super boring, and just a bunch of numbers. But the interface makes sense. It flow. It's actually a bit pretty even in places.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:40 AM   #202
cupofjoe
n00b

I agree that it's not an attractive UI. However, I am under 40 by a decent margin and I don't actually mind the UI haha. It takes a bit to get used to and I still haven't found everything, but I'm hooked on this game.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:46 AM   #203
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I see how crazy popular mock draft simulators are, and I'm like, "Why don't these people just play FOF!?"

There's more to it, like how busy those people are, their interest in only the RL draft, but that disconnect drives me crazy. There's a lot to that, far more than an interface, but it's a puzzle I want to solve.

Last edited by Mike Lowe : 02-24-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:12 AM   #204
molson
General Manager

I'm curious how people are playing this game, since we don't really have people doing dynasties anymore. Are you just fucking around with it like a simulator, or getting vested in one team and career and playing it like a game - and if so, are you calling every play, making every move, acting from the "front office" only?

I haven't been able to connect with a sim as a fun game I'm vested in years, not sure whether I'm older, or if the games are just to overwhelming and I haven't figured out the best way to set AI for stuff and control what's fun to control.

I pretty much only want to have early-era FOF level of control - transactions, maybe depth charts (but not to the level the modern games let me), very light game planning (basically just broad categories of running v. passing, going for it on 4th down, etc.) and following along.

Last edited by molson : 02-26-2024 at 10:15 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:56 PM   #205
AlexB
Pro Starter

The depth charts are what are killing me on this game. I keep switching between an FOF7 career and FOF9…

Everything in FOF9 is better other than:

The draft process - the fact you can’t see the live draft board dwindling as players picked is a biggie for me

Trading, but I can cope with this. FOF7 is better in this regard, but it’s not a dealbreaker

Edit: the game day experience is much better in FOF7 too - just having gameday leaders, players of the week, etc, breathes some life into the universe. FOF9 is a bit dead in that reagrd: it’s very easy to have no clue what is happening with the rest of the league

What is becoming a dealbreaker though are the depth charts in FOF9 (and was a big issue for me in FOF8 too) - it takes too long to adjust for injuries, and trying to keep players from getting tired by switching formation usage, not really knowing what penalties having a player in red actually means, not having backups, all just frustrates me

In most regards FOF9 is better, but TBH I’m finding that FOF7 is just more fun

Last edited by AlexB : 02-26-2024 at 04:00 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:06 PM   #206
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, but to answer your question , I’m trying to play the same as I always do:

I have no interest in playbooks or game planning, so leave that to the AI. Same with play calling.

I pretty much want to do everything else though, and watch the games play out, rather than just quick sim and see the box scores afterwards

Last edited by AlexB : 02-27-2024 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:28 PM   #207
james17
n00b

I play all my team's games out and I think the ability to call plays in the game is handled very well. It's neat to get the OC and DC recommended formation and plays but then have the ability to override them.

I just wish I knew more about the intricacies of calling defenses. I need to go to the help file in more depth.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:39 PM   #208
canuxrok
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm curious how people are playing this game, since we don't really have people doing dynasties anymore. Are you just fucking around with it like a simulator, or getting vested in one team and career and playing it like a game - and if so, are you calling every play, making every move, acting from the "front office" only?

I haven't been able to connect with a sim as a fun game I'm vested in years, not sure whether I'm older, or if the games are just to overwhelming and I haven't figured out the best way to set AI for stuff and control what's fun to control.

I pretty much only want to have early-era FOF level of control - transactions, maybe depth charts (but not to the level the modern games let me), very light game planning (basically just broad categories of running v. passing, going for it on 4th down, etc.) and following along.

Personally, I haven't been calling plays or even gameplanning, not because I don't find those features very cool and in depth but just because it takes much longer. I may go back to doing that at some point but for now I've just been simming and reading the play by play afterwards.

I am doing a dynasty that I just started but I've been running it on the main OS forums instead of here. At the time I started it there was like no active NFL content in the football dynasty forum and I also thought it might be good visibility for the game.
canuxrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:32 AM   #209
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuxrok View Post
I am doing a dynasty that I just started but I've been running it on the main OS forums instead of here. At the time I started it there was like no active NFL content in the football dynasty forum and I also thought it might be good visibility for the game.

Cool, I'll check that out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:35 AM   #210
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just got the game over the weekend and loving it so far. But..I don't get why it's gone from a weekly model to a daily model, but didn't take advantage of that in terms of scheduling. No Thursday night and Monday night games? I'm playing as the Lions...no Thanksgiving games? No Saturday games late in the season? We've got maps telling me what the weather is in every city on every day, but we can't make some of the games 1 PM Eastern and some of them 4 PM Eastern? European cities are included in the game, so even they could be used to host NFL games, just like what's happening now. It feels like this is getting really close to immersion as if this is a real league, and adding little wrinkles like that would help.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:27 AM   #211
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wasn't planning on putting the franchise tag on my long snapper, but it's weird that if I did, the game is saying it would be over 5M. When I look at all the long snappers on rosters, the highest on the list says his comp is 2.85M. And when I click on him, his contract says his salary is 1.4M for this year, and his bonus is 200K. I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff going on in calculating franchise salaries, and I tried to see if I could verify something is wrong for safeties. That didn't seem right either, but in a way that could be correct for all I know. But that 5M for a long snapper is really showing that something is off.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:44 AM   #212
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I really love the stage where you can sign players with expired contracts before the rest of free agency. That feels like a great compromise between the different ways things have been handled before. I really had trouble getting into FOF 8 partially because I felt like I needed to extend a player's contract before his last season starts if I wanted to avoid him hitting FA. But now I can let his current contract play out, then still talk to him before other teams do at the beginning of the next season. That's huge. Before it was either "you can't extend him in the last season" or "you can extend him in the last season, but you have to hope your cap situation allows it this year, even though you're doing it for next year" -- big improvement imo.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:09 AM   #213
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Just got the game over the weekend and loving it so far. But..I don't get why it's gone from a weekly model to a daily model, but didn't take advantage of that in terms of scheduling. No Thursday night and Monday night games? I'm playing as the Lions...no Thanksgiving games? No Saturday games late in the season? We've got maps telling me what the weather is in every city on every day, but we can't make some of the games 1 PM Eastern and some of them 4 PM Eastern? European cities are included in the game, so even they could be used to host NFL games, just like what's happening now. It feels like this is getting really close to immersion as if this is a real league, and adding little wrinkles like that would help.

I was poking around the 2023 schedule file when I saw a bunch of dates that games would be played, and thought, "oh maybe I can make this happen with some modding at least, although it'd be a pain to set that up each year" but then I saw in the schedules file

Quote:
DAY - The calendar day (1-31) when the game is played. Note that all games in Front Office Football Nine must be scheduled to be played on a Sunday.

Blah.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:52 AM   #214
AlexB
Pro Starter

Perservering with it... Just had a game where my QB threw 71 times, a WR had 32 targets and 22 catches, both of which would be NFL records

If it had been a different team, i would be completely oblivious to the fact: it would help bring the game to life if there were notifications of milestone events such as this on the Manage screen after they happen
Old 03-03-2024, 02:40 PM   #215
KingZal
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Perservering with it... Just had a game where my QB threw 71 times, a WR had 32 targets and 22 catches, both of which would be NFL records

If it had been a different team, i would be completely oblivious to the fact: it would help bring the game to life if there were notifications of milestone events such as this on the Manage screen after they happen
Those notifications do exist, but the game doesn't account for real life records. Also you have to run the save file for a few years for those notifications to appear.

Last edited by KingZal : 03-03-2024 at 02:40 PM.
KingZal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:20 PM   #216
Olsson
High School JV

Some of the stories this game creates are crazy.

Meet Jon McBride. Signed as a UDFA 5 years ago. He's had a total of 114 attempts over those 5 years and then he goes off in the 2030 playoffs and lead the Bears to a Super Bowl.

Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #217
cupofjoe
n00b

One thing that I wish could be adapted is the trade value for studs on their 5th year option. For some reason, I never get good value if I trade them.

I get that it’s following the logic of giving up picks + new contract. But in real life, some of these players would get multiple 1sts.

But as I’ve said before, I know realistic trade logic is an extremely hard thing to get down in these types of games.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:43 AM   #218
Colly
n00b

First off, I enjoy the game. So what I write next is not a criticism because it does not affect my enjoyment of the game but it's just an observation.

Depth Charts are not really depth charts, are they?

They are more about assigning starters to positions on the play structure, i.e. 113, 014 etc. From what I see, and admittedly I've only got a few hundred hours in the game the AI is taking control of actual "depth". Maybe I'm missing it but I don't know if the player can affect that choice anywhere in the game other than in the substitution screen while in play-calling mode.

I've got a few thousand hours in both College and Pro games of the DDS franchise and those are true depth and package editors.
Colly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:42 PM   #219
KingZal
n00b

Does anybody know how the positional scores are calculated in this game? In League->Reports and Info->Positional Rankings.

I have a monster front seven, with three DTs rated 79 and above and two starting DEs rated in the 60s, but my positional score for the defensive line is 52/100. The linebacker group, meanwhile, is 100/100.

My theory is that it has to do with scheme fit. I currently run a 43 defensive scheme but most of my linemen have a 34DE or 34NT fit. Not sure whether that's affected my defense for the worse, to be honest.

Last edited by KingZal : 03-21-2024 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:20 PM   #220
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Does this happen to anyone else? My starting QB is injured, but not out. He's a franchise-type QB, so I keep him in. But he only plays a couple drives, then the backup comes in. There's no message in the play-by-play that he's hurt again, and he's not more injured than before when the game is done, it's just like his injury makes him only able to play for a little while? It happens even when he's at 97%.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:09 PM   #221
KingZal
n00b

That's happened to me before. My starting quarterback suffered a strained abdominal muscle in Week 14, and in consecutive weeks he started before being pulled. In Week 15 he got pulled mid drive, going into the second quarter; in Week 16 he started the first two drives and my backup took over the rest of the way.

I don't remember what his effectiveness was, but I ended up benching him until he was 100% healthy, which didn't happen until the Front Office Bowl.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:21 PM   #222
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Does this happen to anyone else? My starting QB is injured, but not out. He's a franchise-type QB, so I keep him in. But he only plays a couple drives, then the backup comes in. There's no message in the play-by-play that he's hurt again, and he's not more injured than before when the game is done, it's just like his injury makes him only able to play for a little while? It happens even when he's at 97%.

The whole injury thing is frustrating - it looks to me like the game overrides roster decisions for any injury other than Probable: if a player has a Questionable or Doubtful designation he doesn’t play even if he’s on your depth chart

I feel like I’m but the depth charts and ability to get the players on the field that you want on the field were so much better (and quicker to adjust) in FOF7
Old 04-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #223
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly View Post
First off, I enjoy the game. So what I write next is not a criticism because it does not affect my enjoyment of the game but it's just an observation.

Depth Charts are not really depth charts, are they?

They are more about assigning starters to positions on the play structure, i.e. 113, 014 etc. From what I see, and admittedly I've only got a few hundred hours in the game the AI is taking control of actual "depth". Maybe I'm missing it but I don't know if the player can affect that choice anywhere in the game other than in the substitution screen while in play-calling mode.

I've got a few thousand hours in both College and Pro games of the DDS franchise and those are true depth and package editors.

You are correct. The game moved to this model with FOF8, if my memory serves. It's rubbed a number of people the wrong way (see Alex's post above this post), but in some ways it feels like it made Endurance actually important rather than just a question of whether a player played tired or not.

Last edited by garion333 : 04-17-2024 at 10:32 AM.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM   #224
SgtTomorrow
n00b

https://www.frontofficegames.com/
Jim's link on X appears to have been hijacked if someone can pass it on...
SgtTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #225
Unimaginative
n00b

A thought I'm having as I really get into FoF9 for the first time: it would be nice to be able to see stats over a range of seasons. Say I want to see who leads the league in Receiving yards since I drafted my stud #1 in 2032, or make an All-Decade Team for the 2030s.
Unimaginative is offline   Reply With Quote