Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #101
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

From the Packers' perspective...it's a lot to give up for the improvement from Lynch to Peterson (in theory).

Peterson is a stud if he stays healthy though, plus it would be a big splash for GB which could use it since the only thing they've seemed to do this off-season is flirt with Randy Moss.

It's difficult to say he's significantly better than Lynch but I like the trade.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #102
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
Think that's an excellent deal for you. If you really need the RB, you can take a flyer on Lynch at 16 and still have a nice 2nd rounder (or two, I think you guys have your own #2, that could be packaged to move back into the 1st) to fill other spots. Or you could address OT at 16 and use those picks for other areas. Nice haul, and I don't even know how that measures up by the chart but I don't think it should matter.

From the Packers' perspective...it's a lot to give up for the improvement from Lynch to Peterson (in theory).

Looks to be a fair trade in terms of the cart. But I agree the Packers must really like AP, because they definitely have other needs. Losing the 2nd round pick is tough. But I can't say much since I am drafting for the Texans who will give up second round picks for backup QB's
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #103
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Peterson is a stud if he stays healthy though, plus it would be a big splash for GB which could use it since the only thing they've seemed to do this off-season is flirt with Randy Moss.

It's difficult to say he's significantly better than Lynch but I like the trade.

I like it too. I'm 100% in the camp that it's better for a team to give up more (within reason) than the "experts" say they should have if it gets them the player that they really want, instead of settling for someone lesser. Also like how the Bills got reamed for the Whitner pick when he was the guy they wanted from the beginning, and they couldn't get anything decent for moving down, so they said "screw it" and took him -- and he was great last year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #104
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Think that's an excellent deal for you. If you really need the RB, you can take a flyer on Lynch at 16 and still have a nice 2nd rounder (or two, I think you guys have your own #2, that could be packaged to move back into the 1st) to fill other spots. Or you could address OT at 16 and use those picks for other areas. Nice haul, and I don't even know how that measures up by the chart but I don't think it should matter.

Peterson is rated in the top 3 by almost all scouting services. Lynch is somewhere in the 20s by most. While it may not seem like a lot, that's essentially the difference between someone like Matt Leinart and Jason Campbell at the QB spot.

The Packers have one of the younger teams in the league and have a ton of picks from the last 3 seasons still on the team. The only spots we need help from is WR/TE, RB and safety. We just filled the RB slot and have 5-6 more picks to work on the other two (not to mention FA). Still, what we needed from this draft more than anything was an impact offensive player - and we didn't feel anyone at #16 fit that bill.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #105
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ideally I wanted to take Levi Brown at #5, but that was a major stretch in my mind anyways. We save money this way, plus will pick up another 2nd round pick.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #106
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I'll definitely be looking to move into the first round again.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #107
Dunleavy
High School JV

the Rams take DE Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #108
Danny
Head Coach

Good deal for Arles, Adrian is one of the 3 best players in the draft and he got the better end based on the draft pick value chart. I also like Lynch, but AD is one of only two real game breaker type pf players in this draft.

Probably a good deal for Steve also though, Arizona has many needs, especially on defense and getting the extra picks will be helpful.

Last edited by Danny : 04-17-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #109
rockboy70
Mascot

With the 14th pick the Houston Texans select:
Leon Hall - CB - Michigan

A solid corner to go with Dunta Robinson, and upgrade the secondary for the Texans. It worked out well to be able to move down a few slots, pick up a couple extra draft picks, and get the guy I probably would have taken at the 10th spot.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #111
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Damn i wanted Landry. ohh well i need a pass rusher too

Vikings select DE Gaines Adams Clemson

I'd like either of those two on the Vikings, though I'm hoping for a DE. I think someone who could put pressure on the QB would go a long way towards fixing the problems they had on defense last season. It'll be nice if James comes back healthy, but they can't rely upon that and really need to address the DE through the draft with adding nothing so far). Adams and Scott with James replacing Scott in passing situations if he can come back would greatly improve the pass defense.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #112
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pittsburgh Steelers select OLB Paul Posluszny from Penn State

I would have loved Leon Hall here and it may be a handful of picks early for Poz, but he fills the need at OLB created by Joey Porter's departure and he is polished enough to come in and start from day 1 opposite of Clark Haggans and versatile/big enough to play OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 should we switch down the road.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #113
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Arizona Cardinals select Offensive Tackle Joe Staley from Central Michigan.

Probably 3-5 picks too early for Staley, but I didn't feel like trying to trade down again, and the Rams took Jamaal Anderson, who I hoped would fall. I think we can pencil in Staley to protect Leinarts blind side for the next 10 years.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #114
fjvieane
Mascot

Well almost everything I have read pointed to Posluszny, but he is gone.

So Jags take WR Ted Ginn Jr.
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #115
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Arizona Cardinals select Offensive Tackle Joe Staley from Central Michigan.

Probably 3-5 picks too early for Staley, but I didn't feel like trying to trade down again, and the Rams took Jamaal Anderson, who I hoped would fall. I think we can pencil in Staley to protect Leinarts blind side for the next 10 years.

That was the guy I figured you were targeting, and that was the perfect spot for him. Great job.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #117
fjvieane
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Welcome to Desmond Howard Jr. May you have a long and mediocre career with one great return game when it matters.

ROFL, I was thinking RJ Soward
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #118
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Studying for finals but I'll be updated the main post shortly.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #119
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fuck you Houston, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh.

I'm open to trade offers for any pick in the first round. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow morning I'm planning on taking Reggie Nelson. So if you want him, make an offer.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 AM   #120
Ragone
Pro Rookie

sent my pick at 19 via pm to Detoxrox..i won't be around when the bengals pick
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #121
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Peterson *might* be one of the 3 best offensive players in this draft, but I'd put him 4th behind Johnson, Russell and Thomas. On defense, Adams, Landry, Okoye, Willis, and Anderson are guys I'd rate ahead of him for sure.

I think Peterson is definitely a top 5 player in this draft based purely on talent. That being said, I think the trade is very risky for Green Bay. Giving up several good draft picks to move up and take a RB who has durability issues isn't something I'd do unless I was just a player or two short of a Superbowl team.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #122
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So, at number 18 the Bengals pick,

Reggie Nelson - S

Honestly I'm not thrilled with this pick. Nelson is far and away the BPA on the defensive side, but safety isn't much of a need for the Bengals. I thought about taking Revis, but I don't like a corner with a 4.54 forty. Thomas and Moss are still available on the line, but the Bengals can't afford another character risk.

The coaching staff has made hints that Williams could move to corner, and if he can Nelson will really help the secondary. If Williams can't make the change I've now got three safeties for two spots.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #123
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I thought about taking Revis, but I don't like a corner with a 4.54 forty.

Not to pick on you at all, but here's a beautiful example of how the 40 doesn't mean shit. I watched Revis play a lot; he was a complete blur running around the field. I don't recall him ever losing a foot race, and he was always the guy to catch someone from behind (the biggest play of Rutgers' season would have been a 90 yard TD if Revis didn't chase down Ray Rice, but his pursuit held it to only a 60 yard gain). All season long commentators were basically foaming at the mouth, speculating on how low his 40 would be. And when that happened, coupled with his cover skills, he would be a lock top 10 pick.

If for some reason he doesn't succeed in the NFL, it won't be because he's allegedly a step too slow.

Last edited by Logan : 04-18-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #124
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

JPhillips, I was tempted to send you an offer for the pick as safety is one of our (Philly) need positions, but I decided against it because I simply didn't want to give up the extra picks and there are a couple of other safeties on the board that I wouldn't be disappointed with.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #125
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Merriweather will be a good safety, but his character issues are a huge red flag for me.

As for Revis, I never saw him. I still think Nelson was the BPA on defense and if he's there at 18 it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them take him. I've got my eye on a cb for round 2.

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-18-2007 at 10:56 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #126
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

There is no way that Ted Thompson would do a trade like that. He values draft picks too much.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #127
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
There is no way that Ted Thompson would do a trade like that. He values draft picks too much.
I agree completely. In his 6+ years as a GM, he's never traded up. But, Ted Thompson isn't the GM in this draft, I am
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #128
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I agree completely. In his 6+ years as a GM, he's never traded up. But, Ted Thompson isn't the GM in this draft, I am

Well then, as the Packers GM, you are going to go down in history as brilliant or a donkey and sports talk radio would reflect that sentiment the next day. Don't be fooled by the Packers 8-8 record, this is a team that needs WR, RB, TE, S and DL help and is still extremely young.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #129
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Merriweather will be a good safety, but his character issues are a huge red flag for me.

He isn't a guy we'd consider...we've seen what T.O. did to this team...there's no need to go through that again. Not saying that Merriweather is a T.O. type of personality, but a distraction is a distraction no matter how you put it.

I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with Michael Griffin or else there are a few interesting options that will likely be available in the next couple of rounds. With that said, we're pretty flexible with this pick as we have a couple of needs and we'll probably go with the BPA at one of those positions as we don't really have our on eye on one particular guy or position.

By the way, JPhillips, how's the drill bit set?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #130
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thanks much for it. I'm very happy with both the bits and the bag as I can carry the drill and bits together.

Griffin makes a lot of plays and he'll be a good pick if that's the way you go.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #131
DeToxRox
Head Coach

With the 19th pick the Tennessee Titans select WR from Tennessee, Robert Meachem.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #132
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
As for Revis, I never saw him.

Yeah, my defense of him wasn't along the lines of "You shoud have taken him despite his mediocre 40 time." Just wanted another example of why 40 times don't matter (which of course, Leonidas hasn't argued).
Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #133
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
With the 19th pick the Tennessee Titans select WR from Tennessee, Robert Meachem.

Nice pick. I was debating how much I would be willing to give up if he fell much further, recognizing that I couldn't come up this high. I think he's the clear cut #2 WR, but there's excellent depth at this position.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm offering 2(6) and 3(5) for the next 3-4 picks until my next target is gone.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #135
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks much for it. I'm very happy with both the bits and the bag as I can carry the drill and bits together.

Glad you like it...wasn't sure if the cat was ever let out of the bag that I was your Secret Santa as I lost track of that thread...LOL!!! Not terribly creative...but, I figured it would be something you'd get some use out of.

Quote:
Griffin makes a lot of plays and he'll be a good pick if that's the way you go.

Dawkins, sadly, is nearing the end of his career and Griffin could be the guy to take his place.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #136
SteveMax58
College Starter

With the 20th pick the New York Giants select Lawrence Timmons, Florida State University.

We needed a new LT, and Timmons brings athleticism, intensity & playmaking ability to our weakened LB corps.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #137
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys (pick #22) may be interested in trading down.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #138
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Interesting how we value players so differently from the "experts". Nobody wanted Quinn. I only took him because a) Miami badly needs a QB and b) I'd be stupid not to take the best QB available worth a #9 or better because of a). Not that I personally have a great feeling about him, he was just the BPA who happened to fit our biggest need who actually had the right value for the pick.

Levi Brown goes 8. Nobody in the draft expert world is putting him that high.

We have a couple folks putting Meacham up above Bowe of LSU, not seeing that anywhere else.

We had Posluszny go kinda high and Anderson go kind of low. Also had Okoye go pretty high.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of it as I think everyone had very good justification. I'm just finding it very interesting.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
The Cowboys (pick #22) may be interested in trading down.

I made an offer a few posts up, assuming my guy doesnt go at 21, if you are interested.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #140
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
\

I'll make a friendly wager that he goes in the top 10.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #141
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'll make a friendly wager that he goes in the top 10.
If Quinn, Okoye, Gaines, and Landry are gone I could see Miami taking him.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #142
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
We have a couple folks putting Meacham up above Bowe of LSU, not seeing that anywhere else.

I actually agree with this evaluation. I think Bowe has a lot of upside, but I think Meacham has similar upside with more experience to play up to it sooner. Neither is a bad pick though.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #143
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I made an offer a few posts up, assuming my guy doesnt go at 21, if you are interested.

Yeah, I saw that but I'm looking for a trade that would keep me in the first round.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #144
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Pittsburgh Steelers select OLB Paul Posluszny from Penn State

I would have loved Leon Hall here and it may be a handful of picks early for Poz, but he fills the need at OLB created by Joey Porter's departure and he is polished enough to come in and start from day 1 opposite of Clark Haggans and versatile/big enough to play OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 should we switch down the road.

A little high for Poz, but he should be a solid player for years. He would be a nice fit in the 4-3, but he wouldn't fit in at OLB in the 3-4. I personally think James Harrison is undersized to play there and he'll be starting for the Steelers this year. Poz is listed at 6'1" and about 240 lbs. I don't know how he is going to be able to get around 6'6" 320 lb tackles. The Steelers need a player around 260-270 to play OLB in the 3-4 nowadays.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #145
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan448 View Post
A little high for Poz, but he should be a solid player for years. He would be a nice fit in the 4-3, but he wouldn't fit in at OLB in the 3-4. I personally think James Harrison is undersized to play there and he'll be starting for the Steelers this year. Poz is listed at 6'1" and about 240 lbs. I don't know how he is going to be able to get around 6'6" 320 lb tackles. The Steelers need a player around 260-270 to play OLB in the 3-4 nowadays.

If the draft breaks like it does here, we're pretty well stuck taking Poz I guess, or trading down.

My favs for this pick are Levi Brown, Jamaal Anderson, Patrick Willis, Adam Carriker in no order, but all may be gone.

I read something about #15 and our 2nd to the Fins for #9 and the Pats second, if that happens I would be happy(doesn't chart out right either)...
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #146
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Well then, as the Packers GM, you are going to go down in history as brilliant or a donkey and sports talk radio would reflect that sentiment the next day. Don't be fooled by the Packers 8-8 record, this is a team that needs WR, RB, TE, S and DL help and is still extremely young.
First, RB would be filled by Peterson (so that's one down). Next, I think their DL is very solid. Last season they got 37 sacks from their DL (including 4 players with 6 or more) and they ranked 15th against the run. Their entire group is back and I doubt any 2nd or 4th round pick would rank that much better than Kampman, Jenkins, KGB, Corey Williams, Pickett and Mike Montgomery. They are all under 30 as well. PLus, we still have other 1st and 2nd year guys there like Jolly and Cole. So using one of the traded picks there would be a marginal (if at all) improvement.

So, now we are left with WR, TE and S. WR is a need but I'm guessing a vet will be brought in (Moss seems to be the popular choice).

Therefore, it comes down to whether the 2nd and 4th round picks would have drastically improved the WR, TE and S spots more than grabbing someone via FA or with GB's other 6 picks they have remaining. I tend to think not as both those positions seem to be fairly prevalent in FA. Plus, given the Packers have a ton of cap space, I'd rather be put in a position where we spend a little on TE and S guys via FA than bank on a 4th round pick to fill one spot.

In the end, this team needs another impact offensive player to be relevant. That's doubtful to happen at 16 so trading up to get Peterson may be enough to get GB in the playoffs next season. And, given GB has 16 players still on its current roster from the past two drafts, there's not a big need for an influx of young depth guys on this roster. With Peterson, this year's 3rd and 5 second day picks (not to mention a ton of cap space), GB is still OK filling spots even after trading their 2nd and 4th.

Last edited by Arles : 04-18-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #147
Schmidty
Coordinator

Damn, I guess it's my pick. It would have been nice to recieve a PM, since I've barely been on the past two days.

Give me a few minutes.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #148
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Damn, I guess it's my pick. It would have been nice to recieve a PM, since I've barely been on the past two days.

Give me a few minutes.

Damn, I guess you're wrong, dumbass.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #149
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

No premium draft service but #8 and #10.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rt1/index.html

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6693254
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #150
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

*bump*

Fire Ron Lee.