Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #51
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They've announced 4 new SNL cast members. One of them is the guy from the AT&T commercials with the kids.

Here Are 4 New 'SNL' Cast Members - Saturday Night Live News
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #52
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Beck Bennett is a pretty funny dude. That should be interesting.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #53
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I loved Brooklyn Nine Nine. They established really interesting characters and managed to find a way to mix police work with solid comedy. I already like everyone in the cast and with Mike Schur (Parks and Rec) at the helm, I'm confident that it will only get better.

I skipped Dads because it looked horrible and I don't even like Seth McFarlane's "good" stuff.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

any thoughts on Sleepy Hollow?

I thought it was OK but has potential.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
any thoughts on Sleepy Hollow?

I thought it was OK but has potential.

Saw some potential. Looking forward to more.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I loved Brooklyn Nine Nine. They established really interesting characters and managed to find a way to mix police work with solid comedy. I already like everyone in the cast and with Mike Schur (Parks and Rec) at the helm, I'm confident that it will only get better.

I thought it was decent, it didn't wow me, but considering who's making it I'll definitely keep watching. Im not a fan of joe lo truglio which might have been my biggest problem.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I skipped Dads because it looked horrible and I don't even like Seth McFarlane's "good" stuff.

I enjoyed it. My wife and I both agreed that it had a police version of Scrubs feel to it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #58
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I may have to re-think my decision not to watch "Brooklyn Nine Nine". The Parks and Rec folks deserve the benefit of any doubt.

At the moment, I'm only planing to watch one new show: "Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #59
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I may have to re-think my decision not to watch "Brooklyn Nine Nine". The Parks and Rec folks deserve the benefit of any doubt.

I'd say off the bat Samberg, Braugher and Crews have enough cachet from previous projects they work, and given Schur's track record I'll give him a shot to build up the rest of the characters and make them more than one-note caricatures. Considering how many ensemble sitcoms (including Parks & Rec) take close to a full season to gel, I thought it surpassed expectations.

Sleepy Hollow had the right amount of silliness imo. If they can keep that up, it could work, but that show does have the potential to spiral horribly out of control.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is probably the only other new show I'm actively looking forward to.

Not sure whether it was sadomasochism or the desire to see plots resolved (and Dean Norris!) that kept me watching Under the Dome, but that was the worst finale I've ever seen. Like The Killing, except with bad acting, bad directing and some poor special effects. I can't imagine that show having any sort of good ratings next summer, even with the lack of other programming. No idea why they didn't just make it a miniseries.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Same

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #61
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm definitely planning on watching Agents of SHIELD, but I'm also very excited for The Michael J. Fox show. I really like the meta-premise behind it, plus the ensemble cast looks really strong. Plus I'm a huge fan of Fox and would watch anything he did.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #62
chadritt
High School Varsity

Thank you for reminding me. I keep forgetting about the Michael J Fox show but i am really looking forward to it. He's awesome and the trailers have made me laugh. I just can't remember when it starts, i need to set my DVR asap.

ETA: Thursday September 26th at 9 on NBC

Last edited by chadritt : 09-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #63
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I was decidedly meh on the first Brooklyn Nine Nine, but I'll give it another chance. I'm a big fan of Braugher and I don't mind Samberg. It's no Mindy Project, but maybe it'll improve. That and SHIELD are the only new shows I plan to watch. Well, AHS too which is technically new but isn't really.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #64
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Well, AHS too which is technically new but isn't really.

Yes. I do loves me some AHS. It also has the greatest promo spots ever.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #65
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I hope the season is as good as the promos. I absolutely loved the first season and hated the second.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

I've got Agents of SHIELD, The Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow and The Michael J Fox show ready to go. I think for all of them I probably won't watch for 3-4 weeks at least until I see impressions from others. I'm not really excited about any of them, so I could go either way on them (I'm not that much of a comics/superhero guy like many here)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #67
Easy Mac

I quite like Brooklyn Nine Nine. I wasn't really expecting much. There's something about Samberg that just makes him like able.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #68
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope the season is as good as the promos. I absolutely loved the first season and hated the second.

Same here. the first season to me went from a great suspenseful story and great acting to the second season which seemed to be more about a gore fest instead of suspense. Some of the episodes were ok, but that story line that held me each week wasn't there.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Blacklist was pretty good...pretty intense. Could go either very formulaic with just a dose of the larger story, or could be like Scandal and dive into the larger story head on, but it was enjoyable enough. Have a feeling the obvious explanation for why he'll only talk to her is the one they'll go with, but it's going to be a journey to get there for sure.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-24-2013 at 08:46 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #70
Easy Mac

I seem to be the only person on earth who thought Moms was horrendous. I don't think I laughed once in the 22 minutes.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #71
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Same here. the first season to me went from a great suspenseful story and great acting to the second season which seemed to be more about a gore fest instead of suspense. Some of the episodes were ok, but that story line that held me each week wasn't there.

All of these. I stopped watching the 2nd season halfway through. I understood what was going on, but it's like they tried to throw every trope they could think of in there, not just horror films, but insane asylums, aliens, genetic engineering, Nazis, demonic possession. It was just way too much. The first season was pretty tightly focused, and the 2nd season wasn't, at least to me.

I will be giving season 3 a shot, though, because season 1 was so outstanding.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #72
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
All of these. I stopped watching the 2nd season halfway through. I understood what was going on, but it's like they tried to throw every trope they could think of in there, not just horror films, but insane asylums, aliens, genetic engineering, Nazis, demonic possession. It was just way too much. The first season was pretty tightly focused, and the 2nd season wasn't, at least to me.

This is 100% true. They did throw everything and the kitchen sink in there. It wasn't too much for me. I still really enjoyed it. The cast and writing remained fantastic and I enjoy it's over-the-top shamelessness.

The cast looks as strong, if not stronger this time around.

I still think that the first episode of the first season was probably the scariest episode of any television show I've ever watched.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #73
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Blacklist was pretty good...pretty intense. Could go either very formulaic with just a dose of the larger story, or could be like Scandal and dive into the larger story head on, but it was enjoyable enough. Have a feeling the obvious explanation for why he'll only talk to her is the one they'll go with, but it's going to be a journey to get there for sure.

It was good BUT again, I have to suspend my reality. So on the bridge all that time, no other car had anyone with a shot at the machine gunner and then no air support to chase the boats? eh, c'mon....

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
It was good BUT again, I have to suspend my reality. So on the bridge all that time, no other car had anyone with a shot at the machine gunner and then no air support to chase the boats? eh, c'mon....

That's true of most shows though (re: suspension of disbelief). At least it was a fun, fast-paced hour of TV with good performances by the actors and what seems like some interesting breadcrumbs (the husband, the criminal's relation to the profiler - maybe it won't be so obvious), etc.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I seem to be the only person on earth who thought Moms was horrendous. I don't think I laughed once in the 22 minutes.

I laughed exactly once...when the guy went over the railing. I'm easy that way. They comedy seemed very forced, like they were really punctuating the jokes so people wouldn't miss them. I'm not sure if that is a product of bad writing or actors with poor comedic timing. I'm guessing some of each.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #76
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For the new shows:

I liked the Black List far more than I expected to. I went in just assuming it was an attempt at a Silence with the Lambs wannabe, but the acting in it was quite good and I thought the story line was interesting.

Hostages on CBS I also liked the acting, but the story line was not as good for me. I still have no idea how this one is going to keep going without getting dreadfully boring.

Sleepy Holly I liked the first week, but this week I got bored pretty quickly. I think the main actor just is not interesting at all and is mostly a bore.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #77
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
For the new shows:

I liked the Black List far more than I expected to. I went in just assuming it was an attempt at a Silence with the Lambs wannabe, but the acting in it was quite good and I thought the story line was interesting.

Hostages on CBS I also liked the acting, but the story line was not as good for me. I still have no idea how this one is going to keep going without getting dreadfully boring.

Sleepy Holly I liked the first week, but this week I got bored pretty quickly. I think the main actor just is not interesting at all and is mostly a bore.

Agree with you on Hostages. Didn't I hear that it's like a 15-part miniseries though? So at least there's that going for it - maybe they have an overarching plot with twists and mini-payoffs and a big payoff at the end already planned. I'll give it another week or two to see how they handle the inevitable delaying of the confrontation.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #78
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
This is 100% true. They did throw everything and the kitchen sink in there. It wasn't too much for me. I still really enjoyed it. The cast and writing remained fantastic and I enjoy it's over-the-top shamelessness.

The cast looks as strong, if not stronger this time around.

I still think that the first episode of the first season was probably the scariest episode of any television show I've ever watched.

I just hope they stay away from Aliens. That just feels like the easiest way for writers to explain the unexplainable and it didn't really make sense or resolve itself in a clear way in season 2.

Season 1 was so good and tight, I'm definitely willing to give them a mulligan for season 2. The episode where they revealed what was going on with the daughter was one of the bigger "WTF" moments in my TV watching history.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #79
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

hands down.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #80
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That Marvel show has some promise.

"Robin" is busy this year.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #81
Radii
Head Coach

The Agents of Shield premiere was quite fun.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #82
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Mom was terrible, almost as terrible as Dads.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #83
DanGarion
Coordinator

Trophy Wife was pretty good, The Goldbergs... meh but will give it another shot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #84
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I really liked the Blacklist. Nice twists and turns throughout the show and the future looks promising.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #85
Easy Mac

Trophy Wife was pretty funny. My wife thought it was hilarious. Malin Akerman is quite amusing, like an attractive Cameron Diaz.

Brooklyn Nine Nine was amusing, it seemed to just re-establish the pilot. The highlander joke was classic though.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #86
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So I'm not the only one who thought Trophy Wife was actually amusing? Good.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #87
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Trophy Wife was pretty good, The Goldbergs... meh but will give it another shot.

Yeah I love Jeff Garlin on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Not a big fan of his character so far after the pilot. Had some funny moments but if it doesn't pick up I can find a better use of 30 minutes. The time frame of the show is right when I was in my teens so it could really be funny/nostalgic to me like the Wonder Years was for some.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #88
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Funny -- we were the exact opposite. Liked Back in the Game better than both.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #89
Radii
Head Coach

Did anyone else watch Broadchurch on BBC America? The finale was last night, I dunno if it will re-air or if its available On Demand. Its a very simple 8 episode murder mystery (practically a procedural miniseries), but the acting and the storytelling is wonderfully done and holy shit it packs a hell of a punch.

Here's a general review before the series started without any serious spoilers:

Review: BBC Americas Broadchurch a simple, devastating mystery

Simple and devastating are probably the two best words I could think of to describe it. Stars David Tennant for the Dr Who folks.

Last edited by Radii : 09-26-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #90
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Ok...

The Crazy Ones is a riot (but only if you like the early 80's, coked up Robin Williams).
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #91
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't really follow shows in between seasons, so I was very sad to find out Cote DePablo is leaving NCIS and will only be on this upcoming weeks episode.

Easily one of my favorite characters on any show and I love the chemistry with her and Denozo.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #92
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Did anyone else watch Broadchurch on BBC America? The finale was last night, I dunno if it will re-air or if its available On Demand. Its a very simple 8 episode murder mystery (practically a procedural miniseries), but the acting and the storytelling is wonderfully done and holy shit it packs a hell of a punch.

Simple and devastating are probably the two best words I could think of to describe it. Stars David Tennant for the Dr Who folks.

thanks for mentioning this. We decided to wait for the DVD on this one due to not enough viewing time the past weeks. Looking forward to it now, no question.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #93
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I really liked the Blacklist. Nice twists and turns throughout the show and the future looks promising.

We watched the Blacklist last night and enjoyed it. However the answer to the BIG QUESTION seemed obvious before the first commercial break. So I'm hoping other twists will be engaging because this could be a winner.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #94
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Broadchurch was very well done. It felt a bit wheel-spinny in the middle of the season, but I think they wanted to hammer home the whole British media is running amok angle.

Back in the Game was disappointing. I like me some Maggie Lawson, but there just wasn't much to it.

The Michael J. Fox show was just boring as anything.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Ok...

The Crazy Ones is a riot (but only if you like the early 80's, coked up Robin Williams).

Wife and I both enjoyed it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #96
aknott
n00b

I liked Back in the Game. I'm also a fan of Maggie Lawson since Psych is one of my favorite shows, although I guess she'll only be in 5 episodes next season (probably its last).
aknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #97
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I don't really follow shows in between seasons, so I was very sad to find out Cote DePablo is leaving NCIS and will only be on this upcoming weeks episode.

Easily one of my favorite characters on any show and I love the chemistry with her and Denozo.

I'm happy to see her go-the cast had gotten stale, and I was never a particular fan of hers-the romance was Denozo made little sense to me other than they work together so much-very little in common. They should bring back the woman who's name I can't remember who he fell in love with working undercover and seemed much closer to him personality wise. It would be nice for one of the characters to actually start on romance that's going to last a long time.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #98
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I really liked The Michael J. Fox Show. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it was amusing throughout and built a good foundation for the future. Other than Fox (who is great as always), I really like Betsy Brandt and Wendell Pierce. I also like Juliette Goglia as the daughter.

The best joke was when he was in bed with his wife:

Wife: Have you taken your Parkinson's medication recently?
MJF: No, it's been a few hours.
Wife: Good, then I won't have to do all the work.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-27-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #99
larrymcg421
Head Coach

TV Ratings Thursday: ‘The Crazy Ones’ Bests ‘The Michael J Fox Show’ + ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Returns Up - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

The Crazy Ones opens huge and The Michael J. Fox Show doesn't. Much of that is definitely due to the lead-ins. It'll always baffle me why Parks & Rec can't find an audience but its season premiere only got an abysmal 1.3 rating and 3.3 million viewers. MJF Show improved on that to a 2.1 rating and 7.3 million viewers. On the other hand, The Crazy Ones followed The Big Bang Theory's 5.6 rating and 18 million viewers with a 4.0 rating and 15 million viewers.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #100
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Parks & Rec was hysterical, then again, that has been one of my favorite shows since the start. I've got a bunch of shows on the DVR (including The Crazy Ones and MJF Show) to check out...now I just need to find the time!