Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Question on Job Offer vs Current Job

Alright I need some help here, I don't have many to bounce things off of so I am reaching out to you.

I have never thrown myself out to the Buffalo job market, never had to actively look nor have I wanted to.

I love the company I work for, I love what I do in a pretty cool industry but I do know I am vastly underpaid for what I do and there have been a lot of hiccups lately that have caused jobs to go to the wayside.

I really wasn't looking but a company came calling that is a quasi competitor to what we do. I talked with them, went through 4 phone interviews and was given an offer.

The offer is 15K increase over my base, a 9% increase to what I make commission wise with equal quota.

I get to work from home, they will pay for my internet, VoIP phone, Cell Phone, Gas and such.

benefits are ok as far as medical, but amazing with Dental and Vision considering I don't have that right now. My territory will be what it is in WNY and upstate NY.

My dilemma, I have scheduled a meeting with my boss to tell him I have the offer and what the offer is. I want to stay, if they can do some matching and such, but the question in my mind, is should I?

They may match the base, but I know they won't match the increase in commission % but may bump me up. I do have an office I go to daily, and they don't pay for cell phone and only pay for gas if I go farther than 35 miles away from the office.

It's a difference between working for a big dog vs small business. I work for a small business and the company that gave me the offer is a nationwide company that does their job well.

If I do go with the big company and I don't hit my quota in my 1st year, do I get canned? I don't think it would be an issue because I am adding like 7 new buckets of business by going to them instead of doing just the 2 I have.

Thoughts, advice, questions?

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

I think a large part of this is, how do you think your current company will react to this, even if they do end up matching? Will they be ok for now, but then as soon as adversity hits you are out the door because you aren't perceived as "loyal"?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

sounds like a slam dunk to me, unless of course its the equivalent of working in hell.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If you like the current job, I would give them a chance to match. Very little downside to that. Of course, there is risk going to a new company and getting canned. However, if you believe in your abilities and they are giving you sufficient resources to do the job, I think it's a slam dunk to take the new job unless your current place matches or comes close to matching. Good luck either way!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I think a large part of this is, how do you think your current company will react to this, even if they do end up matching? Will they be ok for now, but then as soon as adversity hits you are out the door because you aren't perceived as "loyal"?

That is my issue. The owner has a vindictive personality but is extremely loyal to those who are loyal. The thing is, my boss just made this play about a month ago and they kept him. (I am not supposed to know about it, but he confided in me)

But if I word it around the reason I am thinking about it is insurance and I am about to get my kids full time which will increase my costs, I think I have a way to not appear as dis-loyal
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

You need to come up with an idea for what your current company needs to do for you to stay. If you ask them to match salary, they do, and you still bolt, that's pretty bad.

I used to work at a larger company, and while it was alright, moving to a smaller company has been fantastic (although being in the bottom decile for my experience bracket is a bit tough). The company I work for prides it self on the quality of the work and putting family first. So while I make less than I would at a larger place, the extra benefits as far as the work life go more than makes up for that.

I would say that if you're really happy where you are think of what they would need to match for you to feel like you're valued appropriately and to offset what you could gain from the move. If they match great, if not then you got godfathered and that's business. At the end of the day the extra perks are nice but you have to work all those hours, you'd better be happy there.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
You need to come up with an idea for what your current company needs to do for you to stay. If you ask them to match salary, they do, and you still bolt, that's pretty bad.

This this this

Obviously, if you are wavering at all, you've got a pretty good situation to start with. What are the chances of your current employer matching everything?

If that's not an option, what are the key components. Maybe they can't, as a smaller company, afford the pay bump. But when you bring up your kids, maybe the ability to work from home some (more?) is a cost-friendly gesture they can meet. Is that enough to sway you to stay?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The match in base has to happen, I would like to see a match in commission % to, but I am fine with a minore bump of like 4%, that splits the difference and makes it worth it for me.

The insurance to be honest is a big deal to me and I know they are changing things up here in regards to that due to obamacare.

I have my middle child drastically in need of braces and my youngest will need them soon to. My oldest is pretty much blind without her glasses and I am starting to lose eyesight.

So as I talk this out and think about it:

Match The Base
increase the % of commission
Verify that I am getting the ability to add Dental / Vision to insurance and I would stay.

I already have all the flexibility in the world with this job, so working from home isn't a major issue but a big plus for me.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Tell them what you want, explain why you want it (family security, increased health coverage etc.) and that you don't want to leave the company but obviously have to do whats best for your family.

If they match then great, if they don't then you HAVE to walk or you've effectively neutered all your negotiations for the forseeable future.

I would however try and leave on a friendly note, ensure you hand over to anyone new and go out on a professional basis - that increases the chance if for some reason you want to return they will let you back in the door (we have a few people at SI who seem to effectively take a sabbatical elsewhere for a year or so every few years and then come back when they realise the real world isn't somewhere they want to live in ).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well,

I had the talk, it's going to upper management and the owner, chances are I will be called in today and speaking with him.

I was told that he doubts the commission % would go up, we know things are changing with health care and they won't know anything there until Monday.

They could probably match the base.

So, I would say I am 1/2 way there. We will see what happens later today. I hate doing stuff like this.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Are braces covered by insurance up there?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Are braces covered by insurance up there?

Depends on the policy, the company that has given me the offer covers 50% and I have an OOP maximum of $1500 for Orthodontics.

As for my current job, no dental at all or vision. But the policies they are looking at are tied to the market place so I will get to pick and choose certain ones, but I don't know what the costs will be yet to me and what the company is paying.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Depends on the policy, the company that has given me the offer covers 50% and I have an OOP maximum of $1500 for Orthodontics.

As for my current job, no dental at all or vision. But the policies they are looking at are tied to the market place so I will get to pick and choose certain ones, but I don't know what the costs will be yet to me and what the company is paying.

Health insurance is such a quagmire right now, thanks to Obamacare and its attempted implementation. While it's a critically important consideration, I would find it difficult to base such an important decision as changing companies on health insurances right now. We just have no idea what we're going to get from year to year at this point.

I am about to enter the enrollment stage for health benefits from my day job, so the very same company I have been with, and yet trying to understand what is happening even just with one company's health insurance benefits is causing massive comprehension headaches for myself and many whom I work with.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Health insurance is such a quagmire right now, thanks to Obamacare and its attempted implementation. While it's a critically important consideration, I would find it difficult to base such an important decision as changing companies on health insurances right now. We just have no idea what we're going to get from year to year at this point.

I am about to enter the enrollment stage for health benefits from my day job, so the very same company I have been with, and yet trying to understand what is happening even just with one company's health insurance benefits is causing massive comprehension headaches for myself and many whom I work with.

My main concern is...am I going to get Dental...I know it sounds so simplistic in and of itself, but Dental is critical to me.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My main concern is...am I going to get Dental...I know it sounds so simplistic in and of itself, but Dental is critical to me.

It's actually shocking to me that dental isn't automatically included. I get it being optional on visual, but dental seems pretty critical.

Every health plan I have been a part of the past ten years had dental (and before that I wasn't on a health plan at all, other than my parents' when I was a kid). But maybe I just got lucky and worked for companies that had that as part of it, and I assumed it would always be included.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-01-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't get vision not being included - but that's me being basically blind. LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
bob
College Starter

Beware of this: A buddy of mine had his current company match another offer. When his next review / pay raise cycle came, he got nothing. He didn't say much, as it was just a few months after the matching. The next year, the same thing. He said something this time, and they told him they just accelerated his next several pay raises when they matched. He left within a month.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have a feeling I am going to be told thanks, we appreciated your hard work and effort and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

They were in a 2 hour meeting about me after I spoke with my boss. After he came out and said we will have a meeting on Monday.

Since then, management was treating me like the plague.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I have a feeling I am going to be told thanks, we appreciated your hard work and effort and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

They were in a 2 hour meeting about me after I spoke with my boss. After he came out and said we will have a meeting on Monday.

Yep.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Could also be that they don't want to tip their hand or give you a better feeling of negotiating room. Or perhaps they were just annoyed at having to be in a 2 hour meeting.

Either way, doing what you feel is best for your family should not be frowned upon. And if it is, it tells you a lot of what you would have found out perhaps in a lesser situation with no leverage.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Either way, doing what you feel is best for your family should not be frowned upon. And if it is, it tells you a lot of what you would have found out perhaps in a lesser situation with no leverage.
This. They really can't be mad at you - you're looking out for your best interests, and rather than just leaving them in the lurch, you've given them the opportunity to try to keep you around. If they get pissy and let you walk, you got your answer - they aren't as good to work for as you thought. Good people don't get upset with their workers for moving on to better opportunities.

If they do decide to not match and let you walk, I would still offer to be as generous as possible in terms of training a replacement, etc.

Hopefully any odd behavior on their part is just frustration at the situation - them knowing they can't match your offer and being upset that they think they'll lose you.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Could also be that they don't want to tip their hand or give you a better feeling of negotiating room. Or perhaps they were just annoyed at having to be in a 2 hour meeting.

Played right this is a no-lose situation, there is a concrete offer in hand ... if they match things in good faith then its still an open decision to stay or go.

If they won't match then then gambol of to greener pastures
Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow!

Needless to say, I am staying with my current company.

They are matching the base, changing the comp plan to get me (and the other reps) to the 15% commission and above and the big kicker for me...

With the obamacare changes our current policy is canceled at the end of the year and they understand dental is major to us with families and with their new found search are going to ensure that we get Medical / Dental and Vision.

I have the paperwork in front of me, and I am shocked they opted to basically match everything.

They did state today they knew we are underpaid and didn't realize it was going to be this fast that the market around here wanted people and what they were willing to pay.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Great to hear it had a happy ending, and the one that it honestly sounded like you would prefer.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that's awesome. Way to go, Macro! Sounds like you were the straw that helped out your co-workers, too, so I hope they appreciate that.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is a great outcome!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

What, they couldn't throw in sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nice! Sounds like you were an advocate for all yout co workers. Well done!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Awesome stuff - congrats
Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sweet Bro, that's fucking awesome! I hope it stays all positive for you.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That is good news.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
Izulde
Head Coach

That's amazing! And so awesome to boot

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #34
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If you like the current job, I would give them a chance to match. Very little downside to that.

I would disagree. The dynamics have changed with his current employer. I think playing the "match" game is quite dangerous unless you are an all-out rock star, which in this case, Dennis is!

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #35
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I would be concerned that "they knew you were underpaid but didnt think the local market had caught up.

Strictly IMHO, the best companies want to attract the best employees and as a result intentionally pay the highest to give them pick of the litter. A company that is begrudgingly matching the market will be a cyclical spiral.

But EITHER way congrats!
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #36
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I would be concerned that "they knew you were underpaid but didnt think the local market had caught up.

Strictly IMHO, the best companies want to attract the best employees and as a result intentionally pay the highest to give them pick of the litter. A company that is begrudgingly matching the market will be a cyclical spiral.

But EITHER way congrats!

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from and I also understand the owner of the company a tight fisted way to the right winger who whines every time an extra dollar leaves his pocket.

This company is thriving, it's growing and he knows that I am one of the ones responsible for his growth. We had record setting revenues two years ago when I arrived, then we shattered the annual record last year, this year it dialed back a bit, but there was still growth.

Next year I expect to destroy my quota and help us get on our Corporate Cruise...
Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

Awesome news Dennis, congrats and I know your fellow workers are going to be thankful as well.

Glad they recognized they had someone of your quality and did the right thing by you!

(Plus takes care of that other issue we talked about, LOL)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #38
Icy
Pro Starter

Really nice news!

I posted about a similar thread some months ago, when i was approached by a headhunter in behalf of one of our direct competitors with a huge offer.

I also opted to tell about the offer to the two main company partners, didn't even ask for a pay raise then as I decided i didn't want to go with the competitors (it would have required relocating to UK and no more working from home) so I could have lost the poker game bluffing, but 3 months later, in the yearly pay raise, i was given a 30% extra both in the base and bonus (vs the average 3% for the rest of the company employees).
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
MacroGuru
Coordinator

New comp plan was announced today and it was explained it has come about because of me.

Everyone is excited, people thanked me..

We are getting an additional 4% commission on new accounts we personally generate and then additional %'s as we get closer to the quota and go over quota.

I am excited. I have every opportunity in the world now to get back to where I was financially in the past.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Awesome Dennis!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #41
Izulde
Head Coach

That's amazing. And your being the cause of this is only going to make the workplace even happier for you I think.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #42
BYU 14
Coordinator

Good stuff Dennis, your value as an employee brought this about and how coincidental you gave a lot of folks something to be extra thankful for today.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Congrats. Glad the story has a happy ending!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sweet