Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #101
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

TroyF is making MBBF look sane in this thread!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 11-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #102
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Wasn't on here live during the game yesterday but damn Marv Albert is getting old and needs to hang it up. I don't know if he still has it for basketball or not but during the Cinci game yesterday he switched the Browns and Bengals at least three times including an Andy Dalton pick 6 that he yelled "Touchdown Bengals!". On another play the player dived for the line of scrimmage and Albert debated on whether or not he did enough to bring out the chains (I guess thinking that was the first down marker). The James Harrison INT was clearly called back with a flag while Albert went on about it. I really respect the elders of the announcing but its time for Marv hang it up.

EDIT: I'm sure Cinci/Cleveland is way down on CBS's list but still.

Last edited by panerd : 11-18-2013 at 09:58 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #103
Butter
Coordinator

Marv thought the line of scrimmage was the first down marker at least 3 times that I noticed. I thought the same thing as you... he must be getting old.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #104
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

^^ does he yell "rejection" when a lineman blocks a pass?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #105
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
No one is saying he's a bad QB, but he is going to have to put up more than seventeen points if the Chiefs want to do anything more than exit the playoffs in the first-round.

San Francisco 36
New Orleans 32
NFC Divisional Playoffs, 2011

That game convinced me that Alex Smith is better than simply a game manager.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
San Francisco 36
New Orleans 32

Alex is poised and doesn't make bad plays (interceptions and sacks for big losses). You only notice those things when your QB is screwing them up. Sometimes having no gain on a play instead of a 10-12 yard loss or having an incomplete pass rather than an interception is a pretty big deal. He's rarely put the Chiefs in a bad position this year and it's one of the big reasons this team is so much better than they were last year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #107
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think if my team was ever 8-1 and just beat a rival that was 9-0, I would've enjoyed it a bit more than TroyF just did.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #108
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My 5-5 team just beat a 3-6 rival and I think that I enjoyed it more than TroyF just did.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #109
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I can understand how frustrated some Broncos fans get. Again, I don't have a "horse" (pardon the pun) in the race but I do feel like KC has been propped up all season by the media. The Broncos lose on the road to the Colts by 6 points in a clearly emotional game for Manning and the entire narrative is how this Broncos team is flawed and has issues. I mean, Peyton went for 386 with 3 TDs, 1 INT and 33 points on the road and the entire post-game is talking to Colts about how they "shut the Broncos down".

The Chiefs had two drives that went over 10 yards in the first 3 quarters (if you don't count Smith's meaningless 25 yard run as the half expired). They had their best drive when Denver was clearly playing soft coverage up 17 midway through the 4th. Yet, everyone is talking up KC to be "ready" for the next game and how they gave a great showing.

If KC wants respect, they need to beat Denver in KC. Until that point, I reserve the right to continue to be skeptical. Last night was exactly as I expected - a comfortable win for Denver at home.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #110
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
If you get benched mid-season during your team's Super Bowl-losing run, I would argue that you are not a "damn good QB".

Is it Alex Smiths fault Kyle Williams decided to have the worst game ever at the worst possible time?

I'm a Giants fan and can admit we were gifted ( may have won anyway, who the heck knows).

Then the next year he was well on his way to leading them to a return run when Harbaugh fell in love with the shiny new toy he drafted. Kapernick has looked pretty human this year also, I'm not sold the Niners even kept the right guy.

There are probably half the teams in the league who would jump at the chance to take Alex Smith.

Bills, Jags, Vikings, Cards, Raiders, Browns, Ramsn, Jets, Texans, Tampa, and probably others.

There are probably even some teams like the Cowboys, Bengals, and Chargers who would secretly tell you they want him.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #111
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

You can do a lot better or worse than Alex Smith. He fits in better on the Cheifs than he would a lot of teams as well because he can be his style of QB(ball control, play action) instead of having to carry a team. I dont think he would do well in a system where he was the focal point and had to throw 40+ times per game.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #112
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I wonder if Josh Freeman was part of the problem in Tampa Bay?

Glennon is definitely a better QB from what I have seen.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #113
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
San Francisco 36
New Orleans 32

Let's not go overboard on Smith. The Niners did have Frank Gore, Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree. Davis went nuts catching seven passes for 180 yards in that game. Smith's other seventeen completions went for 119 yards.

Smith has his lowest completion percentage in five years and his lowest YPA since his rookie season. Whether this is a reflection on Smith or the offense the Chiefs are running or the players he has around him is up for debate. What I don't think is up for debate is that the Chiefs offense is going to have to score more than seventeen points a game in the playoffs to have a shot at making a deep run.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #114
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think Smith is suffering a lot with a receiving corps that doesn't demand any double teams.. But he definitely hasn't set the world on fire or anything.

And Dalton.. The last 3 weeks he has been really bad. I don't know what has happened there, but hopefully the bye week will give them a chance to figure out how to operate the offense. He had that stretch earlier on the season where he looked like he had taken that step forward, now he needs to show he can break out of the slump he's been in. He does have 21 TD passes and he is on pace for 4000 yards and 30 touchdowns.. But I'm hoping he doesn't turn into one of those Good Andy/ Bad Andy players.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #115
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I can understand how frustrated some Broncos fans get. Again, I don't have a "horse" (pardon the pun) in the race but I do feel like KC has been propped up all season by the media. The Broncos lose on the road to the Colts by 6 points in a clearly emotional game for Manning and the entire narrative is how this Broncos team is flawed and has issues. I mean, Peyton went for 386 with 3 TDs, 1 INT and 33 points on the road and the entire post-game is talking to Colts about how they "shut the Broncos down".

The Chiefs had two drives that went over 10 yards in the first 3 quarters (if you don't count Smith's meaningless 25 yard run as the half expired). They had their best drive when Denver was clearly playing soft coverage up 17 midway through the 4th. Yet, everyone is talking up KC to be "ready" for the next game and how they gave a great showing.

If KC wants respect, they need to beat Denver in KC. Until that point, I reserve the right to continue to be skeptical. Last night was exactly as I expected - a comfortable win for Denver at home.

I'm more of a frustrated football fan than a Broncos fan. People are on here saying I didn't enjoy the win, that's just wrong. I enjoyed the win, but it wasn't anymore special than the Broncos beating San Diego or Baltimore.

I'm sick of people talking about the Chiefs as though they are something special. I know we aren't, but we should be above talking about a team's record as being the sole indicator of how good they are by now. I keep using the Avalanche as a comparison. they start out 12-1 while getting outshot over half the time. It is unsustainable. They will come back to earth and they will get bounced in the first round. I'll cheer like crazy for them, but they aren't there yet.

It happened by Collinsworth all game long and it's happened all throughout the morning. "The Chiefs could have won that game, they were right there, they almost had it" What the hell game were people watching? Seriously, with 8 minutes to go it was OVER. The Broncos called off the dogs (at the time they had already racked up 27 points and over 400 yards of offense), KC had a cheap 80 yard TD drive and score and suddenly it's the one or two plays that could have changed the game?

People assume because I'm a Denver fan, I have some special hatred of the Chiefs and that I'm just trying to defend my turf. I really don't care about any of that. The Broncos have flaws and they could very well get beat again because of them. They were never going 16-0. It wasn't happening.

As for Alex Smith, I like the guy and think he is in the middle between a game manager and a star. He's very, very good at limiting mistakes. The problem is he's so good at it that he doesn't take nearly enough chances. He's at 5.97 yards per pass attempt against the weakest slate of defenses in the NFL. That ranks 31st in the league, ahead of only Weedon and Freeman. Most of that is because of who he's throwing the ball to, but if the Chiefs are going to beat a good football team (much less a very good one), he's going to have to extend the field some.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #116
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

What? The Chiefs were 2-14 last year! If a team that went 2-14 starts off the next year 9-0, the media is going to give them tons of great press. I don't understand how anyone could possibly have a problem understanding or accepting that.

And in the Colts game, the Colts did hold the Broncos to their lowest output of the season. The fact that the media thinks 33 points is shutting the Broncos down is a compliment to the Broncos, not a criticism. Either way, the Broncos are going to be held to a higher standard than a team that was 2-14 last year. That doesn't mean the media hates the Broncos. I mean, do you really think the media would rather have an Alex Smith Chiefs in the Superbowl than a Peyton Manning led Broncos?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #117
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What? The Chiefs were 2-14 last year! If a team that went 2-14 starts off the next year 9-0, the media is going to give them tons of great press. I don't understand how anyone could possibly have a problem understanding or accepting that.

Quote:
The fact that the media thinks 33 points is shutting the Broncos down is a compliment to the Broncos, not a criticism.

+1! This thread is surreal this week. I'll try to come up with some absurd angle for the Panthers/Pats game tonight (or maybe just score some drugs and get really fucked up and post throughout the game) to make a proper contribution to the thread.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #118
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm more of a frustrated football fan than a Broncos fan. People are on here saying I didn't enjoy the win, that's just wrong. I enjoyed the win, but it wasn't anymore special than the Broncos beating San Diego or Baltimore.

I think these are the reasons I am even bothering to responding to this. You really just sound like you have a personal agenda to put the Chiefs down every chance you can.

How could it not be anymore special? You just beat the only team that was ahead of you in the division and without that win it would have been very difficult to win the division and gain HFA. Clearly it was more special and you mask the truth with statements like that.

I think also you are making more of this Chiefs hype than there really is. For being undefeated until last night I dont think Ive heard one person or TV person call them the super bowl favs. Whether its against the Jags, Cardinals, or Patriots being 9-0 in the NFL is very difficult. You should be expecting them to get talked about because they earned it you know by being 9-0. I hear the Broncos discussed far more when I am watching football shows so maybe I am missing the Chiefs overkill portion.

I dont think at this point the NFL is about spewing out advanced data to casual NFL fans to show how the Chiefs may be overrated. I am not sure the fans would like this all that much either as its far easier to relate with actual results than it is with what the computers say should happen come January.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This thread is tremendously...........special.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #120
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Chiefs able to deliver huge prime time ratings
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #121
Logan
Head Coach

Why don't we all agree to not assume that the Collinsworths and Phil Simms of the world speak for the entirety of football fandom?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #122
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
+1! This thread is surreal this week. I'll try to come up with some absurd angle for the Panthers/Pats game tonight (or maybe just score some drugs and get really fucked up and post throughout the game) to make a proper contribution to the thread.

Don't worry, Bucc will come in here at about 8:15 and proclaim that Cam Newton represents everything that is bad in America with his me attitude, disregard for education and lack of respect for his elders and that True Patriot, Scholar, and Gentleman Tom Brady will save the day with LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #123
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There is nothing more amusing, FWIW, than seeing someone with irrational hatred against a team trying to justify it. So in that respect, this thread is great on the amusement factor.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FWIW, I'm pretty pissed off at how much run this year's Jacksonville team is getting for their poor play. Last year's Chiefs team was far worse and no one paid attention to them. That's bullsh#%!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #125
Danny
Head Coach

Man I hate those Jaguars. Everyone keeps talking about how awful they are, bad defense, bad offense. Well, c'mon, the Raiders have been bad for longer and are starting an undrafted rookie free agent at quarterback. Sure, he got lucky with Sunday at home against a collasping Texans team, but I am getting tired of all the media hate getting thrown the Jaguars way. Looking a the numbers, the Jaguars were never really that bad. The Raiders have a lower DVOAKDPA and their RTTIS is even lower. The Jaguars just had a tough schedule which gave them more losses. I think its about time the Raiders start getting the hate they deserve
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #126
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, thats funny timing
Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #127
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Twitter / NFLRT: Drew Brees might need some ...

If the neck area is a penalty, that looks like a neck area hit. The rule may be over protecting the QB, but by the letter of the law...

That seems like a stretch. That photo is several frames into the tackle. The initial contact was pretty clearly across his chest. It looks a little like a clothesline type hit, but to me it was pretty clear it wasn't a cheap shot.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Wow, thats funny timing

Great minds think alike. Your mind is just one minute slower than mine.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #129
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I think if my team was ever 8-1 and just beat a rival that was 9-0, I would've enjoyed it a bit more than TroyF just did.

I can kind of relate to Troy's position here. I've been struggling with KC's record since they were 4-0. They simply aren't that good. 9-0 was beyond belief. The record was beyond an abberation or a mere exaggeration. The emporer had no clothes.

So yeah when you hold that sort of an opinion about a team, you expect your team to win. It was almost a foregone conclusion for me that the broncos,not my team, would win. A mortal lock.

I'll be struggling with KC's record until they completely collapse and don't go .500 in the second half.

Who knew that Andy Reid could really coach, and that maybe it was Donovan mcnabb holding the Eagles back all that time?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #130
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I Can't. Stop. Watching.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #131
Logan
Head Coach

I thought the same thing until I realized that I wasn't alone in my thoughts, and that seemingly 95% of the football universe I associate myself with shared the same beliefs about Kansas City.

One new thing I did learn that surprised me was that Denver was actually outperforming their Pythagorean win total by a slightly higher margin than Kansas City before this game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #132
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, that looks like a dangerous hit to me.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #133
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Who knew that Andy Reid could really coach, and that maybe it was Donovan mcnabb holding the Eagles back all that time?

Holding them back from what? Conquering the world? They went to 4 NFC title games in 10 years for the love of pete.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #134
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Holding them back from what? Conquering the world? They went to 4 NFC title games in 10 years for the love of pete.

Bah...It took Terrell Owens to really get the job done. Limbaugh was right all along.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #135
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Wow, that looks like a dangerous hit to me.

Sometimes a hard hit is going to hurt somebody. But what is the defender supposed to do there? The rule is to avoid the head. He goes out of his way to do that. He hit him across the top of the pads. That whiplash effect isn't legislated as being illegal.

Last edited by oykib : 11-18-2013 at 02:44 PM.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #136
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think it'll be interesting to see how the Chiefs play this week after losing their first game of the year.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #137
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
Sometimes a hard hit is going to hurt somebody. But what is the defender supposed to do there? The rule is to avoid the head. He goes out of his way to do that. He hit him across the top of the pads. That whiplash effect isn't legislated as being illegal.

This.

In other angles you see the Defender sprinting toward the Pocket and nearly past Brees. Brees doesn't even try to avoid him. The hit looks Brutal because Brees wasn't prepared for it. Why he wasn't prepared for a hit that came from right in his line of sight is another question. The defender came around the end unimpeded. That is gonna sting.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #138
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While I've only seen the slow-mo gif above on the Brees hit, I don't see why that would be a penalty. A bad call. That said, I am glad the 49ers lost. This way, if New England can manage to be Carolina, of the current NFC playoff contenders, only the Bears will have gained ground on the Lions after they played like the Lions.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #139
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Then hope Rodgers returns on Thanksgiving and they'd have to win that one to tie Detroit and they'd hold the HTH tiebreaker.

This will undoubtedly happen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #140
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I have not seen the hit in full. Did he continue the hit all the way to the ground or did he lay off after the part in that gif?

What is in the gif, doesn't look horrible to me, and I'm the guy who jumps all over anything cheap. Go figure.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #141
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I have not seen the hit in full. Did he continue the hit all the way to the ground or did he lay off after the part in that gif?

What is in the gif, doesn't look horrible to me, and I'm the guy who jumps all over anything cheap. Go figure.

Brooks arm continued up into the neck area, and he pulled Brees down using the arm that was around the neck.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #142
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
Brooks arm continued up into the neck area, and he pulled Brees down using the arm that was around the neck.

Dead on. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it was called. When you watch the way he took him to the ground after the initial hit it becomes a penalty.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #143
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I didnt say it was illegal, just hard for me to watch
Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #144
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus,what a bitch move by Talib
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #145
Radii
Head Coach

Really impressive drive from Carolina there. Talib should know better, no one fucks with Steve Smith and comes out ahead.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #146
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
I didnt say it was illegal, just hard for me to watch
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #147
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Um, Troy...

Broncos Being Investigated

Last edited by Scarecrow : 11-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #148
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Dead on. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it was called. When you watch the way he took him to the ground after the initial hit it becomes a penalty.

I thought he let up, and specifically didnt drive him into the ground. I even think you see brooks turning in the above gif lessening the hit. I mean the guy goes down and you don't, it is hard to imagine your arm not getting up to his neck.
I thought it was patently a bad call. I understand protecting the QB, and I'm not against the rules. I just don't think they should err on the side of a penalty when it is not a clear cut head shot.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #149
cuervo72
Head Coach

Classy play there, Pats. Classy play.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #150
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, definitely not cool.