Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

NFL Week 13 Thread

Haven't had a chance to read this article yet, but it seems relevant. Is the NFL experiencing an injury epidemic? - ESPN

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
The NFL could greatly benefit from a revival of NFL Europe, which allowed players such as Kurt Warner to hone their skills in a developmental atmosphere.

Hey hey! Timely discussion!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I think the rise in poor play has more to do with less practice time that was negotiated in the last CBA.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

The article dismisses field turf as a possible culprit without sourcing. Probably because the NFL's own study has shown that catastrophic knee injuries that put you on IR, like an ACL tear, do actually increase on turf. It doesn't really explain the rise this year, but it would be interesting to look into as a contributing factor.

http://www.drdavidgeier.com/ask-dr-g...-or-fieldturf/

I have confirmation bias since I used to play rec soccer on latest gen field turf all the time and the difference in how your body felt after playing on that vs. natural was huge.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I think the rise in poor play has more to do with less practice time that was negotiated in the last CBA.

Why do you feel there is a rise in poor play?

More missed tackles? More penalties? I guess I havent noticed anything that seems unusual but I guess that doesnt mean much as I tend to miss quite a few things
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I think this is the reason for both some of the poor play and the slew of injuries. Teams used to ease their teams into contact over the summer and the first few weeks of camp. Now, you get less time over the summer and less in camp so you have to jump right into contact, then rest your starters for most of the game. I know McCarthy wants the league to change the offseason restrictions for QBs as he had to cancel his "QB camp" a few years back and that's negatively impacted the backup situation in GB.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

BUCK: "The Lions at -7 have the worst turnover ratio of any team with a winning record."

AIKMAN: "That's because on offense, they have been turning the ball over. Then, on the other side, on defense, they have not been generating turnovers."

I'm glad Fox pays Aikman for his insight. Not sure what we'd do without him.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-28-2013 at 12:02 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
BUCK: "The Lions at -7 have the worst turnover ratio of any team with a winning record."

AIKMAN: "That's because on offense, they have been turning the ball over. Then, on the other side, on defense, they have not been generating turnovers."

I'm glad Fox pays Aikman for his insight. Not sure what we'd do without him.

meh

It's Thanksgiving and likely a lot of people who usually don't watch football are watching. I don't see a problem with him dumbing some stuff down.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

sheesh. Detroit should be up 20.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Turkey is done, the eating is over, I sit down to watch some football and am greeting with, "Personal Foul, Late Hit...Personal Foul....Personal Foul....hit to the head....that was a vicious hit by so-and-so...the helmet to helmet was after the hit to the chest....good clean hit....blah, blah, blah...."

What the fuck happened to football this year? This is so distracting to me.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Grover
Pro Starter

26-10, it should be 45-0.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Is this Detroit versus Green Bay or Alabama versus Southwest Louisiana State?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
meh

It's Thanksgiving and likely a lot of people who usually don't watch football are watching. I don't see a problem with him dumbing some stuff down.

Eh, it's not limited to Thanksgiving with Aikman.

(Same thing goes for Marino and the CBS pregame.)
Old 11-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Anyone know what the story is with the yard line remnants on the Cowboys' field? Looks like the whole field was shifted by 2.5 yards at some point.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bet the over 9.5 for the first quarter. Talk about a miracle cover.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
kingfc22
Head Coach

Why are the Raiders throwing a jump ball to the shortest player on the field?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Danny
Head Coach

So if Rodgers comes back and leads the Pack to the playoffs, is he potentially the mvp?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
So if Rodgers comes back and leads the Pack to the playoffs, is he potentially the mvp?

I think the last few weeks have shown he IS the MVP.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think the last few weeks have shown he IS the MVP.

I remember that season where he sat that final meaningless game of the season and some people said he didnt deserve the MVP because he must have been a product of the system because Flynn could play 1 game and throw 6 Tds. Might have been right here in these forums. It was entertaining.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-28-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
The article dismisses field turf as a possible culprit without sourcing. Probably because the NFL's own study has shown that catastrophic knee injuries that put you on IR, like an ACL tear, do actually increase on turf. It doesn't really explain the rise this year, but it would be interesting to look into as a contributing factor.

http://www.drdavidgeier.com/ask-dr-g...-or-fieldturf/

I have confirmation bias since I used to play rec soccer on latest gen field turf all the time and the difference in how your body felt after playing on that vs. natural was huge.

One of my students this semester is doing their final research paper on natural vs. turf related to college sports and possibly the NFL if they can't find enough for college sports. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #21
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Is it just me, or was following the letter of the law on the Le'veon Bell play at the end of Pitt/Bal really stupid? Here's a guy who took a severe injury, made a great play through it, and his reward is to lose the TD he got because his gear flew off?

I'm normally all for following the rules as written (otherwise re-write the damned rules), but this seemed just silly.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just gives the defense another reason to go helmet to helmet or try to rip the helmet off the ball carrier. Think that rule will get rewritten in the offseason to allow forward progress in that situation, but yes would really have sucked if that had cost the Steelers the game.

Thought we might have seen someone die on the field, was a really scary situation. Especially when miller was trying to shoo the camera away.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Related to that, I'd like to see them come up with some way to blow the ball dead instead of awarding a fumble when a RB takes a helmet-to-helmet and is clearly knocked out cold. Something like if the guy takes a hit to the head and ball comes out with no contact to the ball or arm, play is blown dead and no turnover. Something like this seems to happen nearly every week.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
miked
College Starter

Isn't it legal to head hunt a RB? I thought I was reading that somewhere. Either way, glad the Steelers at least scored so that stupid rule didn't decide the game. Obviously it was designed to protect a guy whose helmet came off and there are 3 defenders running at him, not the guy who is in the processed of getting tackled and nothing can be done to stop anything.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't know if it's because I'm a Steelers fan or just getting fed up with concussion injuries and hate seeing motionless bodies lie on the field/ice/turf/etc.. but I found it disgusting when they kept showing the replay of Bell and his helmet flying off, crashing to the ground, and Michaels/Colinsworth were just discussing the play over and over again. Go to commercial break or something. I think the players were even still on the field on one knee in prayer a that point.

And I agree that the rule should be rewritten to include some wording on forward progress or something.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
Bobble
College Prospect

It will have to be something more complicated than "forward progress". The rule arose from the play where Jason Whitten lost his helmet and still ran, like, 15 yards. What's forward progress there? That's where it gets sticky. You don't want a rule that's too complicated.
Bobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just gives the defense another reason to go helmet to helmet or try to rip the helmet off the ball carrier.

Saw this happen a LOT at the high school level this season. One opponent in particular was quite adept at finding ways to get a helmet off in the pile (happened at least 5 times to our top LB ... always with a 3rd or 4th and short coming up)

(HS rule says if the helmet comes off then you must leave the game for the next play)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #28
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Isn't it legal to head hunt a RB? I thought I was reading that somewhere. Either way, glad the Steelers at least scored so that stupid rule didn't decide the game. Obviously it was designed to protect a guy whose helmet came off and there are 3 defenders running at him, not the guy who is in the processed of getting tackled and nothing can be done to stop anything.

Yes - it happened to the Patriots a couple of times recently - both resulting in fumbles because the runner got KO'd. Lspelling Blount last week against the Broncos and Ridley in the playoffs last year. I forget the rule exactly but helmet to helmet is legal in certain situations.

I think it's if the running back is deemed to be leading with his head.

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-29-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Trent Richardson benched.

Colts bench Trent Richardson | ProFootballTalk
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Desnudo
Coordinator

Kubiak should be fired for punting on 4th and 3 inside the 40 when his team is 2-9
Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
Desnudo
Coordinator

Amazing hold on the texans TD. Of course dierdorf doesn't even mention it.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

Effin Cam Newton. Killed the Bucs on the opening drive.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

Big play check. Arrington check.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #34
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Any other big name busts out there that the Colts can send draft picks away for?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #35
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the Trent Richardson trade thread showed how many people actually bothered watching a Browns game the past 2 seasons. He had a lot of defenders a few weeks ago.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think the Trent Richardson trade thread showed how many people actually bothered watching a Browns game the past 2 seasons. He had a lot of defenders a few weeks ago.

I can understand the Colts wanting to improve the position but I'll never understand them giving up a first-round pick for a running back outside of maybe Adrian Petersen.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #37
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Big letdown spot for the Pats and appears to be showing.

As far as Richardson, on profootballfocus last year he was rated highly on their elusive rating ranking. Perhaps his problem is he works so hard in dodging tackles that hes not actually making any forward progress. I guess I cant understand why he would be this bad right now. I figured the Colts were a great situation for him.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #38
Desnudo
Coordinator

Yes you could see this coming after the last few weeks.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
Desnudo
Coordinator

The camera work and replays inpats texans has been horrible
Old 12-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Not this guy.

Browns Fan Vastly Improves Old Trent Richardson Jersey

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #41
mckerney
Coordinator

Matt Cassel starts the second half and nearly triples the Vikings total passing yards on 2 throws.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I can understand the Colts wanting to improve the position but I'll never understand them giving up a first-round pick for a running back outside of maybe Adrian Petersen.

Jamaal Charles says hi.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #43
whomario
Pro Starter

Nick Foles still hasnīt thrown an Interception, now at 19-0 ratio.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #44
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alshon Jeffrey with an incredible catch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #45
Thomkal
Head Coach

Very disappointed with my beloved Cards so far today.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Nick Foles still hasnīt thrown an Interception, now at 19-0 ratio.

I'm strongly considering keeping him over Aaron Rodgers in my keeper league.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Very disappointed with my beloved Cards so far today.

Even more disappointed about Palmer throws another INT
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #48
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

At the same cost to keep? Dont be that guy Foles has holes that will be exploited, give it time.

At best you would be hoping Foles can be like Rodgers.

Now if they cost differential to keep Rodgers over Foles is a lot it would be worth considerig.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
At the same cost to keep? Dont be that guy Foles has holes that will be exploited, give it time.

At best you would be hoping Foles can be like Rodgers.

Now if they cost differential to keep Rodgers over Foles is a lot it would be worth considerig.

At then same cost except I could probably trade Rodgers for a nice haul b
Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Given the new report this morning that Rodgers may be out for the rest of the season, that seems like an easy decision.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote