Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #51
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
At then same cost except I could probably trade Rodgers for a nice haul b

That would be a very good idea or Foles for a good haul. Good situation for you.

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Given the new report this morning that Rodgers may be out for the rest of the season, that seems like an easy decision.

Keeper league, meaning you keep the player next year. He has them both this year and is probably past the trade deadline.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Keeper league, meaning you keep the player next year. He has them both this year and is probably past the trade deadline.

Ah, gotcha.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #54
Atocep
Coordinator

Someone please take Mel Tucker
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #55
Thomkal
Head Coach

::facepalm::: at the ending of the Eagles/Cards game
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #56
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Someone please take Mel Tucker

We'll throw Conte in along with him, too.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #57
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Gould was about 2 yards short of nailing a 66 yard FG.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #58
bhlloy
Coordinator

Weeden really is a comedy QB. Tough to hate on a guy after a 3TD, 350 yard performance but he makes more boneheaded, unnecessarily stupid plays than any QB I can remember.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #59
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

This Bears Vikings game is just goofy. BS horse collar penalty puts Vikings in FG range, they kick the game winner, called back on a BS 15 yard facemask.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #60
Atocep
Coordinator

Wow vikings...
Old 12-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #61
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow vikings...

Classic Vikings.

With the Jags winning they just couldn't pass up the opportunity to move up in the draft order.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #62
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Nice throw Alex Smith!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #63
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Thanks for the favorable spot, refs.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

They should just rule this game a tie because neither deserves a win.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #65
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

crap, dammit Vikes your trying to tank
Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #66
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I didn't see any of the game but I am willing to bet that Geno Smith spent the whole second half sulking and pouting on the sideline, completely disengaged from the game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #67
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
crap, dammit Vikes your trying to tank

Plus if Ponder is done as the starter they might win one or two more games.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #68
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The refs are throwing flags like they're going out of style in the SF/StL game. Some extremely ticky-tack calls both ways so far.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #69
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Plus if Ponder is done as the starter they might win one or two more games.

*sigh*

With Jacksonville winning today that gave the Vikings a nice leg up as they had four tough games to finish out the season vs teams like Atlanta and Texans have more winnable games..

Oh, well. I'm just not sure who I'd want for a QB..

Boyd? Bridgewater? Johnny Football?

None seem to be able to start from the get-go..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Good job, Vikes! With the Lions able to lose to any team at any time they will need all the help they can get.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #71
RainMaker
General Manager

Trestman should be fired. Just not cut out to be a head coach at this level. Maybe an OC or something.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Trestman should be fired. Just not cut out to be a head coach at this level. Maybe an OC or something.

6-6 with talent that is 6-6 at best and a borderline miraculous turnaround for the offense is fireable.

Right...
Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #73
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow Manning's arm strength wise looks terrible. I am now wondering if his arm is hurt or the ankles are really affecting him.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-01-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
6-6 with talent that is 6-6 at best and a borderline miraculous turnaround for the offense is fireable.

Right...

They have one of the most takented offensive units in the league. And he has turned a good defense and special teams unit into abominations.

They would be a playoff team with good coaching decisions.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #75
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Apparently you and I are the only ones who feel this way -- too many Trestman lovers. He's going to get a pass because of all the injuries but he clearly -- CLEARLY -- makes too many tactical mistakes and does no self-scouting. His playcalling is bad for an alledged offensive guru. Week after week, he should see that, when the defense is playing the run, the Bears suck running between the tackles especially right up the gut. So, what does he do? On second and third and very short he runs right up the gut for no gain. Simply put, he is overmatched.

I also wonder what the stats say his play calls are after a 1st down incomplete pass. It must be 80% run on 2nd down.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #76
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
They have one of the most takented offensive units in the league. And he has turned a good defense and special teams unit into abominations.

They would have two more wins for sure.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #77
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Apparently you and I are the only ones who feel this way -- too many Trestman lovers. He's going to get a pass because of all the injuries but he clearly -- CLEARLY -- makes too many tactical mistakes and does no self-scouting. His playcalling is bad for an alledged offensive guru. Week after week, he should see that, when the defense is playing the run, the Bears suck running between the tackles especially right up the gut. So, what does he do? On second and third and very short he runs right up the gut for no gain. Simply put, he is overmatched.

I also wonder what the stats say his play calls are after a 1st down incomplete pass. It must be 80% run on 2nd down.

You two are crazy. Bears are 6th in total yardage, and 6th in points. This is while playing the past 4-5 weeks with a marginal backup at QB. Last year they were 16th in the NFL in both yardage and scoring.

As far as tactics, he may be messing some things up but Lovie still didnt grasp that part after 10 years of coaching. Perhaps, he will learn? Bill Bellichek didnt have success right away either.

They were an old stale team that needed a fresh start. Trestman has given them that. They now know they have a great offense and can focus on the defense in the offseason. Any coach would have been lucky to have this team playing 500 ball.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-01-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #78
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The defense is inexperienced in some areas and over the hill in others. It doesn't have the same talent Lovie worked with. Peppers is a shell of his former self, Briggs was having his best year before getting hurt, Melton is gone, Tilman is a shell of his former self, Urlacher gone. You can go on and on.

Mel Tucker does need though to go and I'm interested to see how Trestman handles that situation, but calling for a coach to be fired 12 games into his career when he's done at least what would have been reasonably expected of him is laughable.

The bears have been a team stuck in the late 80s to mid 90s for more than a decade. You don't think it's going to take a little bit of time to change the entire direction of a franchise?

Lovie was a terrible gameday coach with no clue how modern offenses work and was paired with a bad GM. The team lucked its way into a Super Bowl and took advantage of a bad division for a few years.

What did you expect from this season? Seriously.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-01-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #79
kingfc22
Head Coach

Niners going with their customary FG only offense.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #80
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow Manning's arm strength wise looks terrible. I am now wondering if his arm is hurt or the ankles are really affecting him.

Well his arm is strong enough to throw 50 yards downfield but man outs towards the sidelines look like shit.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #81
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
They would have two more wins for sure.

I'll ask you as well, what did you expect before the season started?

What would have expected with Cutler out, Briggs out, and Melton gone for almost the entire season? Do you really think Lovie is winning any games without Cutler?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #82
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

so 2 WRs go go for 250... and both lose

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #83
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm with Atocep, I can't help but laugh at the Trestman hate. All factors considered, he's done a solid job.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #84
kingfc22
Head Coach

Crabtree with a 60+ yard reception off of a double move. Glad to have him back.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #85
kingfc22
Head Coach

Down 10...fake punt from inside your own 30. Whoops.

Thanks for handing the game over to the Niners Fisher.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #86
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

TD to Vernon on the very next play.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #87
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
You two are crazy. Bears are 6th in total yardage, and 6th in points. This is while playing the past 4-5 weeks with a marginal backup at QB. Last year they were 16th in the NFL in both yardage and scoring.

As far as tactics, he may be messing some things up but Lovie still didnt grasp that part after 10 years of coaching. Perhaps, he will learn? Bill Bellichek didnt have success right away either.
I knew that you would chime in, so I will try my best to keep this civil. You can't look at just one side of the ball. That's like saying that Lovie was great because the defense had been so good no matter what the offense was doing. And with that 16th rated offense they went 10-6 -- in an offensive-minded league! So, tell me the difference? Offense > Defense? Trestman > Lovie? By your viewpoint, yes, but in reality...um...no. (And btw, I hated Lovie. He was smug beyond belief for someone so incompetent at the head coach level.) Lovie was a terrible gameday coach, but Trestman is equally as bad. So that means that there has been exactly zero improvement in the head coach. And I would argue that both the DC and the special teams coaching has been decidedly worse.
Quote:
That point is irrelevant; making predictions or telling you what my expectations were has absolutely no bearing on the tactical errors that Trestman makes. If I thought that they would be 4-12, 8-8 or 11-5 does not matter. So while no one can know for sure, I will contend that the Bears -- without those Testman blunders and stupid playcalling-- would have two more wins. That's what matters.

Last edited by weegeebored : 12-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #88
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

What would have expected with Cutler out, Briggs out, and Melton gone for almost the entire season? Do you really think Lovie is winning any games without Cutler?

A 10-6 team that dramatically improved on the offensive end in the talent department? That is playing in a much weaker division? What should fans have expected?

I don't know why there was this belief that the Bears were shit. The offense has a ton of talent on it and the defense was coming off a solid season.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #89
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

That's a great improvement and if Trestman was our offensive coordinator I'd be happy. But he's not, he's a head coach who is responsible for making tactical decisions during a game. Something he has been comically bad at and has cost them a game against the Lions and a game against the Vikings today. Two games which would have handed them the decision. These are decisions almost all NFL head coaches make properly.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #90
cuervo72
Head Coach

35-21. TroyF must be PISSED.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #91
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
By your viewpoint, yes, but in reality...um...no. (And btw, I hated Lovie.

Ummm, No.

By my viewpoint for the last 3-4 years you have had a very stale offense that should have been better and an untalented defense that looked better than it was because of conservative game planning. I never once said nor would I say that offense is more important than defense. What I would say is to give a guy a chance to clean up the mess that was left behind before judging.

NFL players get old so changes need to be made. The defense needs to get younger. I suppose Trestman could have continued with the same method as Lovie and tried to hide this wart by calling a conservative gameplan but that wont get you closer to winning another Super Bowl.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #92
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Lovie was a terrible gameday coach with no clue how modern offenses work and was paired with a bad GM. The team lucked its way into a Super Bowl and took advantage of a bad division for a few years.

This is flat out wrong. He definitely didn't grasp modern offense, but the defense was always good and the same goes for special teams. He was almost always smart with timeouts and tactical decisions late in games.

That Super Bowl team had nothing to do with luck. They had a dominant defense and special teams. And somehow made Rex Grossman look competent. They also did it after losing their best player to a season ending injury in the middle of the year.

Remember he went 10-6 with a less talented version of this team that played in a much tougher division.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #93
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
What I would say is to give a guy a chance to clean up the mess that was left behind before judging.

The Bears mess is a horrendous defense and special teams. Two things that didn't exist last year. Trestman created that mess, he isn't cleaning it up.

Quote:
NFL players get old so changes need to be made. The defense needs to get younger. I suppose Trestman could have continued with the same method as Lovie and tried to hide this wart by calling a conservative gameplan but that wont get you closer to winning another Super Bowl.

The old guys on defense aren't the problem. They have actually played really well. It's the young guys who look like shit and have either taken huge steps backwards or look woefully unprepared to be out there in an NFL game.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #94
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

It worked for the Rams last year at Candlestick, but clearly the 49ers expected it this year.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #95
Danny
Head Coach

KC receivers are awful
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #96
RedKingGold
College Starter

Also, assuming the Rams do not score in the next few minutes, the 49ers will not have allowed a touchdown over the last ten quarters.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #97
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Bears mess is a horrendous defense and special teams. Two things that didn't exist last year. Trestman created that mess, he isn't cleaning it up.

The old guys on defense aren't the problem. They have actually played really well. It's the young guys who look like shit and have either taken huge steps backwards or look woefully unprepared to be out there in an NFL game.

Really well?

The Bears have 3 barely above 0(average) rated defenders.(courtesty of PFB Focus) and they are barely above average.

Paua
Briggs
Ozougwu
Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #98
Danny
Head Coach

Go start a Marc Trestman thread
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #99
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Really well?

The Bears have 3 barely above 0(average) rated defenders.(courtesty of PFB Focus) and they are barely above average.

Paua
Briggs
Ozougwu

A lot of those guys magically looked good last year. Wonder what the difference was.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
That point is irrelevant; making predictions or telling you what my expectations were has absolutely no bearing on the tactical errors that Trestman makes. If I thought that they would be 4-12, 8-8 or 11-5 does not matter. So while no one can know for sure, I will contend that the Bears -- without those Testman blunders and stupid playcalling-- would have two more wins. That's what matters.

And I can also contend that without trestman the bears offense is where it's been for the past decade plus (bottom 5) and this team would be 8-8 with a game either way depending on Luck. Without Trestman and with Cutler, Briggs, Melton, and Tilman missing the time they have this team would be lucky to be 6-10.